A Blank Map Thread

The latest revision of my Colored World Map. Enjoy!

You still have a number of errors which had been fixed in my patch:

- Bir Tawil is not claimed or controlled by either Sudan or Egypt (you show it as Egyptian controlled)

- Golan Heights boundary (still extending too far north to a tripoint with the Lebanese-Syrian border)

- Western Sahara

A blank map of monaco with the old wards

Monaco_Blank.png

You still have a number of errors which had been fixed in my patch:

- Bir Tawil is not claimed or controlled by either Sudan or Egypt (you show it as Egyptian controlled)

- Golan Heights boundary (still extending too far north to a tripoint with the Lebanese-Syrian border)

- Western Sahara

- Bir Tawil: although de jure unclaimed by either Sudan or Egypt, is de facto controlled by Egypt, therefor it is given Egypt's color in the map.

- Golan Heights: This area of the map is too small and too crowded to successfully show the boundary in detail.

- Western Sahara: This line represents the claimed border of the Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic, not the controlled areas. Most countries that recognize Sahrawi's independence also recognize the sovereignty of Sahrawi over all of Western Sahara.

The latest revision of my Colored World Map. Enjoy!

Oops! I made some mistakes!
- Two small islands off Brazil are boxed but have no color.

- An island to the north of New Zealand, in the disputed box with Fiji, doesn't exist.

- A small island in England has no color.

- Taiwan's claims in Tajikistan and Afghanistan are slightly flawed.

- The border between Western Sahara and Morocco is light grey instead of dark grey

- The South Orkney Islands are noted as claimed by Britain and Argentina, despite being part of the Antarctic Treaty (cannot be legally claimed)

worldmap

Banned
you could add internal divisions for some of the federal states like usa, canada, australia, russia, germany, brazil, uk, ethiopia and others for the next version of the map

- Bir Tawil: although de jure unclaimed by either Sudan or Egypt, is de facto controlled by Egypt, therefor it is given Egypt's color in the map.

Okay, but I've never heard of Egypt de facto controlling it. I know that to access it, one finds it easier to go through Egypt apparently and therefore Egypt controls de facto access to it, but I have never come across any source showing Egyptian de facto control of the area. I think even when the BBC had a series on No Man's Lands the reporter in question found nobody in control of the area and only some nomads passed through it.

- Golan Heights: This area of the map is too small and too crowded to successfully show the boundary in detail.

Nope. I have attached a map showing your current Golan border with the one I corrected in the patch. The border you show extends too far north towards the "parrot's beak" section of the border between Lebanon and Syria. Your current border basically includes part of the Syrian administered UNDOF zone as part of the Israeli Golan Heights.

- Western Sahara: This line represents the claimed border of the Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic, not the controlled areas. Most countries that recognize Sahrawi's independence also recognize the sovereignty of Sahrawi over all of Western Sahara.

Okay, I understand

golan comparison.png

How about the FARC insurgency? if ISIS is being portrayed why not FARC as well?

The ISIS insurgents claim to be a sovereign nation, while the Colombia People's Army does not. Also ISIS is a major topic in today's world, where as the FARC is not (I actually had to look them up). And I'm pretty sure ISIS is also the only terrorist organization that has it's own "country" (if you can call it that), which is why I left out other insurgents like the Al-Qaeda and Boko Haram. I hope that answers your question.

you could add internal divisions for some of the federal states like usa, canada, australia, russia, germany, brazil, uk, ethiopia and others for the next version of the map

I really need to, but I always think that subdivisions make a map ugly. Maybe I'm OCD.

- Golan Heights: Okay, I'll fix that.

- Bir Tawil: the information I got from wikipedia, but the source is here: https://books.google.com/books?id=9eNJAQAAQBAJ&pg=PA73#v=onepage&q&f=false. Apparently Egypt administers the territory because it can access more easily than the Sudanese can, but the government does not claim it and it is unmarked on official Egyptian maps of the country. The United States (my home country) recognizes it as part of Sudan, but many other nations (like the United Kingdom) recognize Egypt's sovereignty over Bir Tawil, despite the fact it is de jure part of neither nation.

- Golan Heights: Okay, I'll fix that.

- Bir Tawil: the information I got from wikipedia, but the source is here: https://books.google.com/books?id=9eNJAQAAQBAJ&pg=PA73#v=onepage&q&f=false. Apparently Egypt administers the territory because it can access more easily than the Sudanese can, but the government does not claim it and it is unmarked on official Egyptian maps of the country. The United States (my home country) recognizes it as part of Sudan, but many other nations (like the United Kingdom) recognize Egypt's sovereignty over Bir Tawil, despite the fact it is de jure part of neither nation.

It doesn't make much sense for the USA to recognise any Egyptian claim to Bir Tawil when Egypt itself doesn't claim that piece of land.

• Bir Tawil: claimed by neither Egypt nor Sudan
  • Hala'ib Triangle: controlled by Egypt, claimed by Sudan
  • Abyei: controlled by Sudan, claimed by South Sudan
  • Kafia Kingi: controlled by South Sudan, claimed by Sudan

Sudan disputed territories.png

It doesn't make much sense for the USA to recognise any Egyptian claim to Bir Tawil when Egypt itself doesn't claim that piece of land.

The US recognizes Sudan as the controller of Bir Tawil and Egypt the Triangle, while several other countries recognize it as the other way around. The point is that nobody seems to want the land, and when asked who owns it they point to the other guy. This area is one of the most inhospitable regions of the Sahara, containing no taxable citizens and no worthwhile, if any, resources. Owning it would just be a worthless burden. However, the Egyptians, while not claiming the area, do send border patrols through Bir Tawil, which is why I state that the region is de facto part of Egypt.

Colored World Map: Revision 3

Okay, I fixed (most) of the mistakes I caught and that others caught, the only exception being Taiwan's claims in Afghanistan and Tajikistan (I have no reference to draw this claim). Enjoy!

CM-1.png

http://bigthink.com/strange-maps/396-you-take-it-no-you-take-it-the-bir-tawil-trapezoid

Strange Maps said:
Egypt has asserted itself as the de facto administrator of the larger of both areas in the 1990s

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/eg.html

CIA said:
... Egypt no longer shows its administration of the Bir Tawil trapezoid in Sudan on its maps ...

I guess maybe show Bir Tawil as Egyptian then, but draw an international border between it and Egypt proper, to indicate that Egypt regards it as "not Egypt".

This is a basemap for Strabos' Ecumene, transferred to a Mars sized actual globe. I have tried to position the land roughly in the right place climatically but obviously it isn't an exact science. Would really like comments and advise to polish it up a bit as I only had one source to work from and it might be a bit iffy.

Anyways here is the Worlda version.

Ecumene.png