A Better Rifle at Halloween

Coulsdon Eagle

Monthly Donor
Sure it was recorded that Churchill once asked Freyberg to "strip" at a dinner party (?) so those present could wonder at the latter's wound scars.

Errolwi

Monthly Donor
That mans service record prior to WW2 would have made a great paperback book series. Prior to WW1 he was fighting with Pancho Villa in Mexico. When he found out about the war breaking out, he made it back to the US west coast on the money he had. He had to win a swimming competition to get funds to get to New York. Winning a boxing match for him enough money to make it across the Atlantic. He was one of the few RND members to make it out of Belgium. At Gallipoli he initiated a one man landing by swimming ashore, distracting the Turks from the actual landing and getting them to call in their reserves and artillery. He then swam out and was fished out by a destroyer, near hypothermia. The only reason he got DSO instead of the Victoria Cross for that one was that he was alone, and VC requires witnesses.

Whatever else he was, that guy was a grade-A bad***.
If he had got a VC for that one, highly unlikely he would have got a second. So still only a VC and three DSOs. And Croix de Guerre.
Sure it was recorded that Churchill once asked Freyberg to "strip" at a dinner party (?) so those present could wonder at the latter's wound scars.
On message for both, and a great story. He did live it up somewhat with a socialite while 'recuperating' (after the VC action in November 1916 I think).

Siege of Namur I
2nd September 1914, Namur.

Each shell burst like a horrifying flower, one heavy shell per minute was striking Fort Congelee, the German range advantage over the old Belgian black powder guns again proving invaluable. Aerial reconnaissance had identified the French heavy guns that were in range, they too were getting as much fire as could be accurately directed on them.
Fixed balloons were positioned just behind the German lines providing accurate targeting information, equipped with telegraph transmitters and powerful observation equipment they were providing gunnery corrections as the shells fell. Already they had been able to observe working parties and formed bodies of troops moving behind the Franco-Belgian lines and direct fire on them with devastating results. Their effectiveness was highest in daylight, they were manned continuously though, and frequent use of star shells had made the night much more dangerous.
The German Second Army was husbanding its transport capacity as much as possible, munitions were being given absolute priority. The Belgian countryside was being gleaned for every resource that could be used, this was causing hardship and suffering for the Belgian people but suffering for an enemy that hid francs-tireurs amongst its population was to be expected. It was not just food and material that was being used, countless Belgian civilians were being impressed into ad hoc labour battalions, repairing the railroads and bridges but even being used as porters. Many had fled impressment joining the streaming flows of refugees struggling to keep ahead of the German army as it advanced. Their number causing havoc behind the Entente lines as they required food and medical care and further straining local resources. Shiploads of Belgian refugees had already started leaving from the coastal ports to Britain, makeshift camps and temporary housing being found for them. Whilst those who had useful skills were being recruited into industry, for any men who lacked crucial skills but were old enough, toting rifle was to be their lot. The plight of the refugees was being spread far and wide, with journalists from Britain and America delighting in recording their tales of suffering. These stories were bearing fruit, with angry letters to the editor demanding America support Belgium from the "Brutal Hun" appearing across the nation.

How deep do people want to get into the mathematics of numerical modelling as might be done by a ludgate analytical engine?

How deep do people want to get into the mathematics of numerical modelling as might be done by a ludgate analytical engine?
Much as I like the idea, I think it is probably best to go pretty shallow on that. It could pretty easily divide the focus of your TL.

At this time Alun Turin is only two years old, he will in due time be fascinated by the ludgate analytical engine and improve it into a true computer!!!

Just to mention the Hotchkiss design of machine guns did not need to pause to reload.

The loader can just shove a new strip in as the other is used up - and so would keep firing so long as the loader could 'feed it' - and while not belt fed or water cooled like the Vickers and Maxim and later Browning's - it was a staggeringly robust gun system

However if not familiar with the weapon then they might have needed to pause either due to ignorance of the capability or simply not experienced enough

However even pausing to reload should not take more than a couple of seconds

Just sayin

I'd say do a chapter on it, I've never heard of this machine until I read this TL so any knowledge and information about it is good!

Put as much detail as you want in. If it goes over my head, my eyes might glaze over, but I'll probably learn something anyway. If I can follow it, then I'll come to understand a fascinating PoD of early computing. Either way, I'll be here for the update afterwards.

Basic Multiplication using Irish Logarithms
3rd September 1914, Liverpool.

Professor Alfred Lodge was meeting at Liverpool University with Percy Ludgate, Hertha Ayrton and Brigadier General William Cleeve, the discussion was on uses of the Ludgate Analytical Engine. Ludgate had explained to Lodge how the machine performed calculations for Addition, Subtraction and Multiplication.
Lodge, Cleeve and Ayrton were impressed by Ludgate’s development. Each digit in a number was converted into an index value using the first table, the index values were then added together to produce a second index value which is then used in a second lookup table. The calculated value is then multiplied by the two column values 1 for column 1 10 for column 2 etc.

Thus
1x1

The first value digit pair was 1 (index value 0) + 1 (index value 0) = second index value 0 lookup table 2 value 1 * Column(A)*Column(B)

=1*1*1

or
23 x 45

1st digit pair
3 (index value 7) + 5 (index value 23) = second index value 30 lookup table 2 value 15 * Column(A)*Column(B)
=15*1*1

+

2nd digit pair
2 ( index value 1)+ 5 ( index value 23) = second index value 24 Lookup Table 2 value = 10 * Column(A)*Column(B)
=10*10*1=100

3rd digit pair
4 ( index value 2)+ 3 ( index value 7) =second index value 9 Lookup Table 2 value = 12 * Column(A)*Column(B)
=12*1*10=120

4th digit pair
2 ( index value 1)+ 4 ( index value 2) = second index value 3 Lookup Table 2 value = 8 * Column(A)*Column(B)
=8*10*10=800

15+100+120+800 =1035
23 x 45 = 1035

One of the first tasks being discussed was to calculate Artillery tables, this was to be done for all the common artillery shells and calibres. The tables would be improved by allowing for additional variables including high altitude wind speed and barometric pressure. These improvements to the tables would not be possible without the use of vast numbers of human computers to perform the individual calculations, the analytical machine would enable rapid calculation of these tables.
Once they had worked out how these table calculations could be performed, the total number of analytical machines required were determined, orders would be placed for the required numbers.
The conversation then moved on from artillery tables to the real purpose of the meeting, improving shell design. Cleeve, Lodge and Ayrton began to discuss mathematical means of calculating the drag forces on different artillery shells, it was recognised that the current shell designs were fairly inefficient and that improving the ballistic co-efficient of the shells would reduce the drag and increase range. Simultaneous with the theoretical work the three of them would carry out with assistants recruited as required, the Royal Artillery under the supervision of the Master General of the Ordinance would also be carrying out physical experiments at the new range to be built near Morecambe Bay.
Ludgate excused himself from the meeting as it turned to theoretical ballistics and the mathematics required.
Already 18 machines had been ordered, a new company had been formed of which he was sole shareholder, it was called the Irish and Imperial Calculating Company. His company had been paid by the British government 5000 pounds for the design of the first Analytical machine and he was to receive a further 500 pounds for every machine produced of that design. He was already thinking of ways of improving the machine and he planned to have a new design available within 6 months. He was a wealthy man now and he intended to grow his business further, to that end he was going on something of a hiring spree, he wanted to have more people working machine design, so that his ideas could be further challenged and refined.

Wow, he is a wealthy man indeed. Still, can’t imagine the machine he has developed will save countless lives, and reduce expenditure in other areas*, so a worthy investment.

*I’m thinking that improved gunnery at sea could directly lead to a ship surviving that was otherwise lost in otl.

Wow, he is a wealthy man indeed. Still, can’t imagine the machine he has developed will save countless lives, and reduce expenditure in other areas*, so a worthy investment.

*I’m thinking that improved gunnery at sea could directly lead to a ship surviving that was otherwise lost in otl.
That will be an early benefit.

or two or three