A Bastard of a Place : The Japanese Invasion of Australia, 1942

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually it will get some very specific artwork during the war.

Historically it wasn't just MacArthur who buried things in and around the City Circle train line of Sydney. But I don't think the gay beats of Sydney will be lionising the sentinel. Probably some imaginary Yank. This may disgruntle Australian gay men who preferred the company of other Australian gay men.

and put on trains to the front

And then driven how many miles into the Stuart highway to fall over? ;)

commo wharfies in Melbourne are ripping off American shipments to New Caledionia and sending the stuff to North Queensland

This may have some rather nasty changes in store down the line. As in somewhere between "worship of the Chinese line" being generalised, and, a number of quite deliberately dead police and far more deliberately dead miners during the inevitable post-war Coal Strike. I know the presses got hidden during 1939-1942. I'm not exactly sure Australia had caches of small arms buried. Given the party's very bourgeois leadership, electoralist mentality, and weak industrial section (I'd suggest "heroic" in that they served class over party); given these factors, I contemplate no caches historically. ITTL that may be distressingly different. The "knock-on" effect may involve a para-militarisation of the labour (and labor) lefts. Historically the labo_u_r movement's left has opposed military action, in large part due to the anti-boyhood-conscription then anti-conscription campaigns. Yes, I do know a couple of IWW were nabbed in Newcastle in (1916 IIRC) with rifles, but my bet is they were dumb bastards who'd had possessed rifles anyway. If there's a significant labo_u_r movement for nicking trans-shipped arms this will have an agitating effect into the 1970s when interest rates, unemployment rates, and the East and West crises of industrial brutalisation of workers occur.

CANBERRA, March 17
Further devastating attacks by Allied air forces on Japanese
bases in the Northern Territory area in the past three days
have resulted in the sinking of one heavy Japanese

I know the sinking is fake, but I am suspecting the attacks are also.

Japanses planes were damaged

I know where you copy pasted this from, and damn that was a worthwhile project. Some attack in PNG historically I bet?

yours (with great enjoyment),
Sam R.

Both OTL. And before the POD.

True, but the VDC were Government arms in labour hands in Government control. Compare to the couple of "false start" mobilisations of the anti-labour underground militia in Victoria in the 1930s (might be in Cathcart's _Defending the National Tuckshop_). The "white" army included many labourites. I guess I was pointing to a deeper conception of anti-state conduct by Labor labour and Communist circles, as opposed to the "state capturing" conception of history.

Ian_W

Banned
True, but the VDC were Government arms in labour hands in Government control. Compare to the couple of "false start" mobilisations of the anti-labour underground militia in Victoria in the 1930s (might be in Cathcart's _Defending the National Tuckshop_). The "white" army included many labourites. I guess I was pointing to a deeper conception of anti-state conduct by Labor labour and Communist circles, as opposed to the "state capturing" conception of history.

Yes.

And the other dimension are the Army, which doesn't want to defend North Queensland, and the Government, which does.

Germany first was a real bother for the war in the Pacific. FDR and Churchill really screwed all the allied forces in the Pacific with their Germany first plans.

What could FDR and Churchill have done differently? Nazi Germany was the far bigger threat.
Especially if you look at the strategic situation with what was known at the time. Not with the benefit of hindsight.

What could FDR and Churchill have done differently? Nazi Germany was the far bigger threat.
Especially if you look at the strategic situation with what was known at the time. Not with the benefit of hindsight.
However it was in the Pacific that the Allies were getting their butts kicked because there were not enough troops and equipment.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Since you are already on a Kick I can't toss you for plagiarizing a big chunk of the Opening Post, much as it would be deserved (Pro tip: Edit out the links, it at least gives you a tiny chance of getting away with the intellectual theft).

Do this again and I WILL Ban you.

Thread locked as fruit of poisoned Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.