A additional Great Kantō-like Earthquake in Japan in the 30s

I had this thought today what if an additional Great Kantō-like, or stronger [perhaps the same magnitude of the most recent one from a few years ago] earthquake struck Japan in the 30s?

I assume this would forestall a greater Pacific War leaving some kind of smaller scale one or a Pacific theater altogether in WWII as Japan would be spending time rebuilding rather than planning conquest (or am I wrong?).

The two scenarios I'm curious about would be on how the world and Japan would react if the quake happened before the invasion of Manchuria (September 19, 1931) or if it happened not long after the Manchurian conquest (February 27, 1932).

Thoughts?

I had this thought today what if an additional Great Kantō-like, or stronger [perhaps the same magnitude of the most recent one from a few years ago] earthquake struck Japan in the 30s?

I assume this would forestall a greater Pacific War leaving some kind of smaller scale one or a Pacific theater altogether in WWII as Japan would be spending time rebuilding rather than planning conquest (or am I wrong?).

The two scenarios I'm curious about would be on how the world and Japan would react if the quake happened before the invasion of Manchuria (September 19, 1931) or if it happened not long after the Manchurian conquest (February 27, 1932).

Thoughts?

Geological PODs go to the ASB forum.