_Khakhanate_ by Thomas Lankenau

Has anyone read Khakhanate by Thomas Lankenau? It's a book about a group of Mongol Ordu that, when the Khanate is collapsing to the Ming Dynasty, make a great trek up north and east across the Bering Straight and into North America. I'm only about halfway through it, but so far they've started absorbing some of the tribes and establishing a new Khanate on North America (the "Khanate of the Blue Sky"). The idea of them going over the Bering is a little far fetched, but their interactions with the different Native Americans is very interesting, especially all of the technological advances (horses, iron tools, Mongol recurve composite bows, gunpowder, etc.) that they have that they're also willing to share with Native Americans that join them--also, the amount of detail shows a great deal of research on the different tribes by the author. Needless to say, when the book ends, the Americas are going to be much better prepared to meet the Europeans!

I just finished reading books 1&2 and I'm glad I saw this thread it was very good the second book ends with contact being made with the europeans :)

The Bering Land Bridge dissappeared thousands of years before the first Civilizations even arose..

One of Poul Anderson's "Time Patrol" stories has the protagonists working to prevent a Mongol discovery of North America (ships, not crossing the ice: some fancy of Kublai Khan). The story is interesting in that they are not working to prevent some time-travelling meddler: this is "real" history, and it is pretty clear from the story that the future that the Time Patrol are fighting to preserve is as much a construct as the efforts of any of the time-criminals they have fought.

Bruce