9/11: The target of the planes change order

What if the order of the planes from 9/11 was changed, so the White House was hit first?

The two planes that impacted the Twin Towers - Flights 11 and 175 - were the earliest to be hijacked and the earliest to hit their targets. The fourth and last plane to be hijacked, Flight 93, was probably intended for the White House or the Capitol, but action by passengers who'd become aware of the events in New York brought the plane down before it reached its target.

Let's say that Flight 11 is sent for the White House, making it the first place to be hit. Flight 175 is sent to the North Tower and Flight 77 (hit the Pentagon OTL) to the South Tower, with the Pentagon being impacted last by Flight 93 (or maybe not, if the passengers still revolt). What then?

PD: I'm aware Bush was in Florida, but the terrorists could've still nailed Cheney and many other top officials.

I doubt that Cheney and other officials would have been definitely killed. OTL we know people figured out that Flight 11 was heading to New York pretty quickly; ITL two and two could have been put together and said officials would have either been evacuated or taken to the ultra-high command bunker below.

Also, remember that what we think of as the "White House" is the residential portion. Cheney and the other VIPs would have been in the West Wing, which is off to the side and even harder to hit.

Effects on culture? Society?

Also, I'm pretty sure the White House evacuation was pretty sloppy even after the towers were hit. Consider that in this instance they'd have absolutely no warning, and if communications between the branches are still crap, then... rip White House?

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
What if the order of the planes from 9/11 was changed, so the White House was hit first?

The two planes that impacted the Twin Towers - Flights 11 and 175 - were the earliest to be hijacked and the earliest to hit their targets. The fourth and last plane to be hijacked, Flight 93, was probably intended for the White House or the Capitol, but action by passengers who'd become aware of the events in New York brought the plane down before it reached its target.

Let's say that Flight 11 is sent for the White House, making it the first place to be hit. Flight 175 is sent to the North Tower and Flight 77 (hit the Pentagon OTL) to the South Tower, with the Pentagon being impacted last by Flight 93 (or maybe not, if the passengers still revolt). What then?

PD: I'm aware Bush was in Florida, but the terrorists could've still nailed Cheney and many other top officials.
Why would the leadership be at the White House if the President was out of town. They wouldn't be there. They all have their own departments with their own facilities in DC.

The other problem that one rapidly runs into is that the aircraft were all in the air before one could make it to DC. The Towers were hit first because they were the closest.

Hell the crew that was likely headed for either the White House or the Capital (Flight 93) got lost. they were almost to Detroit before they got back in business.

From the second the first aircraft was hijacked the clock was ticking on the response. Heading towards Washington DC is a big red flag. If the President had been in town I am fairly sure the response would have been quick, if it could have changed anything is another question. The two that brought down the twin towers actually had the greatest impact and success in terms of international attention. The single hit to the pentagon on the other hand was although potentially devastating managed to do less damage.

The planning that got them on 4 different airliners and taking control of the same was excellent and hopefully is now completely impossible.

BTW as much as I dislike Bush, when I saw the video of him being told of the first hit and then later the second, It is my not very expert opinion that you are seeing a Man in a form of shock who can't get up and walk away without panicking the kids and people watching it play out live. I know I myself was shocked that such an attack could be contemplated let alone done.

Last edited:
It’s not entirely known what if any what the target of Flight93. The general consensus is that none of the hijacker’s except the pilot knew it was a suicide mission. Mourssawi has given conflicting statements as to the target and it’s likely he was saying this to appease his torturers.
One thing which was learnt during the interrogation of KSM and others was that AQ had great difficulty in identifying targets from the air. It’s possible that the WH was not the target either