Maybe I will, though it might be a pre-1900 PoD. I have an old idea somewhere in my mental vault about the South Slav liberation from the Ottomans going differently and Bulgaria and Croatia leading a Greater Yugoslav movement with the aid of Russia.
tbf that would be very interesting, especially if they manage to take Constantinople. Maybe they call themselves rumelia instead.

That would prob just make ittl Yugoslavia a pan balkan nation with the exception of Romania and Greece, with Romania allying with Yugoslavia and Russia depending on the circumstances.

Greece gets screwed, which is sad lol.
Looking at it now, I might lean harder into the Bulgaria angle, but then it is basically just a Bulgarian timeline unless I really tweak the early PoD.
yeah it would just be 'Bulgaria successfully convincing the southern slavs to be part of the bulgarians' instead of 'yugoslavism'.

It would be interesting if at the end Church Slavonic with some extra bits and bobs is used instead bc its a lingua franca that doesn't make it 'mega X balkans nation'.
Maybe something you could do is start in 1848, where instead of helping the Austrians crush the Hungarian rebels, Russia instead helps Hungary gain independence? It could very much lead to a massive shakeup of politics across Europe, and while my knowledge of the era is certainly lacking, it could lead to Croatian and Slovenian separatists attempting to gain independence, which Russia may or may not back as "defender of Balkan Christians".
Yeah that would be interesting, since it means that the slavs would immediately want to leave Hungary, and Austria decides to cut its losses and instead makes Croatia as a thorn to Hungary's side that eventually unites with Bulgaria to form yugoslavia/rumelia.

Last edited:
An interesting thread by Strategos Risk on the possibility of Indian independence (or decolonization in general) being more controversial in London than it was IOTL and triggering the same amount of political strife that debates over Algerian or Indonesian independence did IOTL, especially without the Second World War to break Britain’s appetite for Empire by exhausting it or the American and Soviet superpowers being committed to decolonization (at least in rhetoric):

Last edited:
It would be interesting if at the end Church Slavonic with some extra bits and bobs is used instead bc its a lingua franca that doesn't make it 'mega X balkans nation'.
I mean, even IOTL, Israel/the Zionist movement opted for reviving Hebrew over imposing Yiddish for similar reasons.

I wonder how Greece would turn out. With the royals being very pro German
The royals are firmly pro-British in the 1930s not pro-German but that should be relevant only if the second republic has been overthrown in 1935 which is contingent on a LOT of things easily affected by the different European environment. Did the razor thin royalist victory in the 1933 election happen? Did Plastiras launch his idiotic coup right after the election in March 1933 with authoritarianism less in vogue in Europe? Did the assassination attempt on Venizelos in 1933 happen? If it did, did Venizelos survive despite his car getting hit by dozens of bullets? How did the presidential election of 1933 get decided? Did the republican revolt in March 1935 happen? If it did what had happened earlier affecting it?
and the brits and germans working together I wonder if we'd see a less dictatorial Greece in general, with Greece gaining Corfu (probably)
Corfu is Greek already, the Corfu incident and its resolution predates the POD.
and not being part of the Yugoslav war
The Balkan Entente does not exist? Now Greece is vulnerable to the Italian navy so likely would avoid joining the war as long as France and Britain have not joined it either, hence her insistence that the Entente applied to Bulgaria and Hungary only, but it's obvious to everyone in Athens Italy is a threat.
and being in the same side of Bulgaria
Greece cannot be on the same side with Bulgaria. Bulgaria has territorial designs on the entirety of northern Greece.
means that war won't reach Greece.
Only if Italy and her Bulgarian allies do not invade it which is hardly a given. Perhaps not in the Yugoslav war but right after. Now granted an Italian attack on Greece likely causes British intervention.
A hybrid regime in Greece that still accommodates the venizelists may mean Cyprus gets to be part of Greece, which would be very cool too. I do think the venizelists would drop the megali idea tho, they know they won't be able to do something that would allow them to fight turkey once again.
What megali idea in the 1930s? It is Venizelos who has brought the rapprochement with Kemal in 1930. By the mid 1930s Greece and Turkey are... allied. Both are concerned over Italy... and Bulgaria rather more.

1930s Greece was reasons to like a stable Germany, given how an inordinate amount of her export trade was going to Germany, but also has every reason to be wary if Germany is back to supporting Bulgaria against it.

The royals are firmly pro-British in the 1930s not pro-German but that should be relevant only if the second republic has been overthrown in 1935 which is contingent on a LOT of things easily affected by the different European environment. Did the razor thin royalist victory in the 1933 election happen? Did Plastiras launch his idiotic coup right after the election in March 1933 with authoritarianism less in vogue in Europe? Did the assassination attempt on Venizelos in 1933 happen? If it did, did Venizelos survive despite his car getting hit by dozens of bullets? How did the presidential election of 1933 get decided? Did the republican revolt in March 1935 happen? If it did what had happened earlier affecting it?
IIRC, butterflies have not yet affected Greece, yet, so there’s that.

The Balkan Entente does not exist? Now Greece is vulnerable to the Italian navy so likely would avoid joining the war as long as France and Britain have not joined it either, hence her insistence that the Entente applied to Bulgaria and Hungary only, but it's obvious to everyone in Athens Italy is a threat.

Greece cannot be on the same side with Bulgaria. Bulgaria has territorial designs on the entirety of northern Greece.

Only if Italy and her Bulgarian allies do not invade it which is hardly a given. Perhaps not in the Yugoslav war but right after. Now granted an Italian attack on Greece likely causes British intervention.

What megali idea in the 1930s? It is Venizelos who has brought the rapprochement with Kemal in 1930. By the mid 1930s Greece and Turkey are... allied. Both are concerned over Italy... and Bulgaria rather more.

1930s Greece was reasons to like a stable Germany, given how an inordinate amount of her export trade was going to Germany, but also has every reason to be wary if Germany is back to supporting Bulgaria against it.
IIRC, butterflies have not yet affected Greece, yet, so there’s that.
I decided to keep Greece as-IRL through 1935, largely because, as @Lascaris pointed out, there are so many little events and twists and turns that it would have completely eclipsed many of the other things that I want to do, especially since Greece won't be a very major character in this story aside from one or two parts. As it stands, the Kingdom of Greece has been restored and is currently pre-Metaxas

When it comes to flesh out the SPD and its role in the opposition to the Vorbeck government, an interesting figure that could be a potential future leader of the SPD could be Carlo Mierendorff. In particular, his fierce advocacy for a more "extraparliamentary", activist course of action for the SPD and foundation of the Iron Front (with its Three Arrows emblem) would lead to him being a nice foil for von Lettow-Vorbeck who serves as a fitting arch-rival for the President in future chapters, especially if you avoid his death during WW2 here.

An interesting thread by Strategos Risk on the possibility of Indian independence (or decolonization in general) being more controversial in London than it was IOTL and triggering the same amount of political strife that debates over Algerian or Indonesian independence did IOTL, especially without the Second World War to break Britain’s appetite for Empire by exhausting it or the American and Soviet superpowers being committed to decolonization (at least in rhetoric):
My understanding is that India was on track for decolonization after WW1, and WW2 only sped up what was already happening beforehand.

My understanding is that India was on track for decolonization after WW1, and WW2 only sped up what was already happening beforehand.
True, but still, having a less exhausted Britain lead to a situation in which decolonization leads to more political infighting within Britain similar to the Netherlands or France IOTL vis-a-vis the question of decolonization could still be a thing.

Ah that makes sense.
Yeah I'm being stupid here.
Kinda?

France and Italy are moving closer together, and If France is shown to not help Yugoslavia during the Italian invasion it's basically dead in the water, and the various nations probably would move in different directions as a result.
True, but they could 'in the same camp' as Germany and Britain would become allies due to France, at least during this period of time.

It is possible they'll fight post Yugoslav war.
true, Greece either allies with Germany itself or they become closer allies with the British.
True, but still, having a less exhausted Britain lead to a situation in which decolonization leads to more political infighting within Britain similar to the Netherlands or France IOTL vis-a-vis the question of decolonization could still be a thing.
I just hope Britain and India gets a better run post 1950, where India doesn't split and Britain has more control over how decolonisation happens. Would be good for the both of them really.

I see Germany, Britain, Yugoslavia, Czechoslovakia, Romania, Greece, and potentially Turkey versus France, Italy, Hungary, Bulgaria, and potentially the USSR in the "Second Great War" depending on how things turn out; I could see Greece and Bulgaria joining camp with Italy for their irredentist claims. The Megali idea never died, and if Bulgaria can satiate their claims by seizing Yugoslav and Romanian lands, I can see them making an uneasy peace with a 3rd Balkan War later on.

The Brits who would have staffed the Indian Civil service in WW1 & WW2 went into the Army and RAF to staff them as officers. Many died in the wars. In the interim the Indian civil service had to start using locals.

The scrap of paper guaranteeing Belgium, along with the Jallianwala Bagh massacre, aka the Amritsar massacre * cost them the jewel of the empire along with dominance of world finance.

* The attack was condemned by the Secretary of State for War, Winston Churchill, as "unutterably monstrous"!

Last edited:
The Brits who would have staffed the Indian Civil service in WW1 & WW2 went into the Army and RAF to staff them as officers. Many died in the wars. In the interim the Indian civil service had to start using locals.

The scrap of paper guaranteeing Belgium, along with the Jallianwala Bagh massacre, aka the Amritsar massacre * cost them the jewel of the empire along with dominance of world finance.

* The attack was condemned by the Secretary of State for War, Winston Churchill, as "unutterably monstrous"!
So let's say the Brits fight a much less intensive WWII esque conflict, would enough Brits stay to push decolonisation back twenty years?

So let's say the Brits fight a much less intensive WWII esque conflict, would enough Brits stay to push decolonisation back twenty years?
At the very least, my idea of France-style political strife (the French literally had a coup attempt over the issue of decolonization) in London with a stronger "colonial lobby" could be a thing. Even IOTL, in addition to Rhodesia and loyalist paramilitaries in Ulster, the Monday Club was partially formed in opposition to Macmillan's "Winds of Change" speech and vocally supported the aforementioned Rhodesia and Ulster loyalists along with Apartheid South Africa.

Last edited:
Possibly.

If they had stuck to the traditional small army in WW1 & WW2 along with no massacre. they might have lasted out another century. In WW 1 putting no more than 10 to 20 divisions into France. Britain fielded 53+ Infantry and 4 Cavalry Divisions in WW1 in France alone.

Last edited:
I decided to keep Greece as-IRL through 1935, largely because, as @Lascaris pointed out, there are so many little events and twists and turns that it would have completely eclipsed many of the other things that I want to do, especially since Greece won't be a very major character in this story aside from one or two parts. As it stands, the Kingdom of Greece has been restored and is currently pre-Metaxas
I will only note that a Metaxas dictatorship is contingent on George II preferring a royal dictatorship to the coalition government between the Venizelists and 5he Royalists agreed by the parties just before its establishment. And that is definitely affected by what is happening in Germany and the world.

Come to that we are still in November 1935. The changes are certainly big enough that Venizelos does not catch pneumonia thus doesn't die on schedule in March 1936.

Gift for all of you. Asked AI to produce an image of 1940's Berlin with no war. Has some funny visual errors, but still very pretty.

1000028123.png

(Credit to hotpot.ai)

Gift for all of you. Asked AI to produce an image of 1940's Berlin with no war. Has some funny visual errors, but still very pretty.

View attachment 887965
(Credit to hotpot.ai)
This sent me on a little search for historical pictures and videos of Berlin (mainly because the AI picture gives me Munich X Madrid vibes - that could be a subjective impression, though) and I found these two gems:
An album of historical buildings in 1904
A youtube-video of how Cologne could look like if it hadn't been destroyed (obviously not Berlin but still found it rather interesting)

Considering how Nazism never amounts to much ITTL, how would fascist movements in other countries be affected by it, especially with how the Arrow Cross IIRC took heavy inspiration from Nazism and all that?

Considering how Nazism never amounts to much ITTL, how would fascist movements in other countries be affected by it, especially with how the Arrow Cross IIRC took heavy inspiration from Nazism and all that?

At least they wouldn't become such antisemitic movements. Altough probably Iron Guard still would be clearly antisemtic but Italian fascism would be more tolerate towards Jews.