7 Years War - Prussia destroyed

The Seven Years War was technically a victory for Frederick the Great and Prussia, but it was a very close thing. Any one of many possible events - Tsarina Elizabeth living longer and keeping Russia in the war, better coordination between the French, Austrians, and Russians, or Frederick getting killed in a battle as he commanded his army - could have doomed Prussia to almost total defeat. What if that actually happened?

Fredericks Prussia had been so troublesome, from the point of view of his enemies, that the peace following a thorough Prussian defeat would probably have been much more harsh than was usual in 18th century European warfare. Austria would have taken Silesia, and parts of Prussias other territories would have been divided up among various other German states. East Prussia itself might have been taken away and given, perhaps, to Poland, leaving only the old Electorate of Brandenburg under the Hohenzollerns. There would be no more major threats to the balance of power from THAT direction.

What would happen with Britain and Hanover? With Prussia gone, would the French, perhaps with Austrian or even Russian help, take all of Hanover and divide it up? Would Britain have been willing to conclude a peace in which they gave Canada back to France or made other colonial concessions in return for the restoration of Hanover? Or, if George III had already become King, would he and Pitt have both supported a policy where Britain would let Hanover be dismembered but keep all of their overseas conquests and defy the French to take them back if they could? Could a separate overseas war between France and Spain on one side and Britain on the other have continued to go on for years after the war in Europe ended?

In eastern Europe, would Austria and Russia quickly move from being allies to rivals? Would those two empires have each tried to make weak Poland into a dependent satellite? Would Russia seek to annex a large part of Poland, and Austria would try to prop up the Poles against the Russians? Could Poland have survived longer as an independent state, or would Russia and Austria have agreed on a 2-way partition of Poland instead of the 3-way partition of OTL?

On the subject of Poland, Russia, and East Prussia, if I recall, the Czarina at the time (Catherine the Great?) had decided that Prussia must be reduced to the status of Electorate, so East Prussia (The Kingdom of Prussia at this point) was to be given to Russia. I believe Russia planned to give East Prussia to Poland in exchange for a swatch of territory that in OTL became Russian in the First Partition.

Imajin said:
On the subject of Poland, Russia, and East Prussia, if I recall, the Czarina at the time (Catherine the Great?) had decided that Prussia must be reduced to the status of Electorate, so East Prussia (The Kingdom of Prussia at this point) was to be given to Russia. I believe Russia planned to give East Prussia to Poland in exchange for a swatch of territory that in OTL became Russian in the First Partition.

Actually, that does seem to be the most likely course of events.

On the Continent, Austria and Russia would quickly move to rivals, as without the Prussian counter-balance, there remains only a single threat.

As per Great Britain, I highly doubt they would allow Hanover to be taken by the French, or even the German Princes. It's difficult to say what Britain would do. I can't imagine George simply letting everybody simply take his homeland. But nor can I imagine Britain doing anything about it.

Britain will win overseas. Her superiority is so vast that the French, Austrians, etc. can do nothing about it. France might put up a good fight, but in the long haul, it will still lose.

By the time Frederick loses Kunersdorf, the British have already taken India, and will still take Quebec, as news of a Prussian catastrophe at Kunersdorf will not reach the New World before September 13th.

I need to think on this a bit more.....

France entered war when Austria promised them parts of Belgium. I don't know what they had planned for Hannover. Dividing among lesser German states? Installing a new king? Exchanging against overseas territories lost to Britain?

Bulgaroktonos said:
As per Great Britain, I highly doubt they would allow Hanover to be taken by the French, or even the German Princes. It's difficult to say what Britain would do. I can't imagine George simply letting everybody simply take his homeland. But nor can I imagine Britain doing anything about it.

Britain will win overseas. Her superiority is so vast that the French, Austrians, etc. can do nothing about it. France might put up a good fight, but in the long haul, it will still lose.

By the time Frederick loses Kunersdorf, the British have already taken India, and will still take Quebec, as news of a Prussian catastrophe at Kunersdorf will not reach the New World before September 13th.

I need to think on this a bit more.....

here's my tuppence worth on Britain,
The problem with removing Prussia from the seven years war is it takes away Britain's continental sword and would leave here in the same position she found herself in in 1778-1783. The French would have been able to devote far more troops, ships and money to fighting in the colonies, rather than in keeping huge forces camped out on the Rhine. However I agree that Britain would probably still have won in the long run as their naval power gave them a huge advantage in fighting in colonial theatres.
As for Hanover, i'm not sure it would have made a difference, the French had captured Hanover in the 1790s and 1800s and it didn't make much difference to overall British strategy. Mayyybee they would have negotiated some imperial posessions away to recover Hanover from the French BUT that would have required George to find a Parliamentary majority to back a treaty in which Britain made concessions in order to recover the King's German principality, given the unpopularity of Hanover amongst British politicians I can't see this happening easily. Another factor is George III who did not consider himself to be German at all, I doubt he would have nedorsed the loss of British gains to retain a vulnerable German principality.

As a self-respecting European monarch George II would more or less have had to negotiate the return of Hannover - you simply do not let a foreign ruler carry off your family's patrimony. As to what would have been given up in exchange it's worth bearing in mind that the Franch didn't want Canada back anyway, most likely it would have been possible to get Hannover back in exchange for relatively minor territories, perhaps mauritius and one of the less productive Carribbean islands?

France would gain more from the fact that the war would presumably end without Spanish intervention, so they get to keep Louisiana.