32 county island of Ireland in NATO

THe Irish military is going to need more and bigger training areas, not all can be located in Ireland... That said I wouldn't cry if the Boggerahs were handed over to the army.... oh and Dingle too:D

Would it?

Current Army is around 7000 with anti-tank, mortars, Artillery, 76mm. So even if the training is more intensive and the ranges are used more would there be much need for the Army to have more. Maybe need to use Salisbury Plain for large scale unit training.

Now for the helicopter training (I assume that RIAF/IAAC would have some of the Lynx AH 7 for combat (would Ireland join the Apache buy with the British?)) I would presume the ranges in the UK.

As for Dingle you're presuming the Kerrymen would actually notice the training signs and not wonder in front of the guns.:p

Would it?

Current Army is around 7000 with anti-tank, mortars, Artillery, 76mm. So even if the training is more intensive and the ranges are used more would there be much need for the Army to have more. Maybe need to use Salisbury Plain for large scale unit training.

Now for the helicopter training (I assume that RIAF/IAAC would have some of the Lynx AH 7 for combat (would Ireland join the Apache buy with the British?)) I would presume the ranges in the UK.

As for Dingle you're presuming the Kerrymen would actually notice the training signs and not wonder in front of the guns.:p

Although the Irish military would make great use of British training facilities and of course Irish force would train heavily with NATO I would imagine that there would be some need for increased and improved facilities in Ireland itself.

Besides what better fun than a frigate taking pot shots at Dingle:D

Pangur

Donor
Bare in mind that Ireland has Timoney industries as well. In OTL they do suspension and Drive Trains for APC's so maybe they also start making BV 206's under licence.

By this time (1960's) Ireland could most likely pay for 206's without undue strain on the budget I think. Besides if they select the Fearless type it would make more sense as the US marine hardware is much larger then the 206/210's

Maybe some of CVR(T) family for the other needs of the Irish Army for Northern Deployments without going to the very expensive hardware of MBT's

Alternatively Timoney could be producing the Bushmaster which in the OTL they designed part of

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bushmaster_IMV

Pangur

Donor
Would it?

I don't quite see why they would need to make use of the Salisbury plains unless of course the idea is a joint exercise. The defense forces already have access to large areas for training. Same for helicopters. It would also surely be the case that in this TL the Ireland is more familiar and accepting of the need for these ranges.