3 little-discussed PODs

Seleucids look East

The Seleucids were the easternmost of the successor kingdoms of Alexander the Great. Although they controlled territory stretching as far east as modern day Afghanistan, they tended to spend more effort fighting other kingdoms for control of more western lands, such as Syria, Palestine, and parts of Asia Minor.

What if the rulers of the Seleucid dynasty became more interested in expanding their borders to the east rather than the west? Suppose that they were thrown out of Syria and Asia Minor early on, and instead they focused on securing their control of Persia, and pushed further into Central Asia or even down into India?

Anglo-American War of 1807

What if tensions between the US and Britain had reached the boiling point 5 years earlier, in 1807 rather than 1812? Britain might have more troops available, with no forces in Spain, and the US army was even weaker in 1807 than in 1812. Suppose the US is roundly trounced, but the British overplay their hand and demand big chunks of territory from the US, which leads the US to set about building a bigger army and fighting on?

Visigothic Renaissance

What if the Visigoths had a series of able rulers in the later 7th century instead of the weak rulers in OTL. When a Berber-Arab army tries to invade Visigothic lands, they are crushed by a strong and well-organized Visigothic force. In the years to come, two more major invasions will be attempted by the Muslims, and both will meet similar fates to the first one. The Visigoths begin to develop a stronger navy to counter small pirate-style raids on the coast, and the merchants of the Kingdom begin to compete more aggressively for trade in the western Mediterranean. By the year 800, the Kingdom of the Visigoths is stronger and wealthier than it has ever been, and it rivals the battered Byzantine Empire as the leading Christian power. What might happen next?

Admiral Matt

Gone Fishin'
I don't know about the two ancient POD's. Perhaps it is because I haven't read enough on the subject, but my impression is that there is a sort of inevitability to those events.

The Seleucids were a Greek dynasty trying to dominate other Greek dynasties. It's only natural that they identified themselves with the parts of their empire that had the most Greeks. Also, it's my impression that the Eastern border of Persia has been so consistent over time for geographical reasons.

I also don't put much faith in the Visigoths. The Germans weren't known for setting up strong, viable states in their conquered lands. Still, I suppose a series of more determined Byzantine pushes could provide the impetus to a more unified kingdom. Anyway, I have my doubts on the question of whether they could rival the Byzantines, but it's not a big deal.

I would like to see that Anglo-British one done, though.

I've always had a fascination for the Visigothic kingdom in Spain (btw, I was also convinced that the Ostrogothic kingdom in Italy had really bad luck and something should have been done about them too: maybe assuming stronger tensions on the Persian border, or simply butterflying away Belisarius).
Going back to the Visigoths, if they can hold back the muslim invasion their situation becomes quite interesting. they are protected by the Pyrenees agaisnt the Franks and they could build up a strong kingdom, with possibilities to expand toward North Africa or toward Provence (or both). Additionally, a Spanish kingdom should by its own nature have a strong navy: again this opens a lot of possibilities

LordKalvan said:
I've always had a fascination for the Visigothic kingdom in Spain (btw, I was also convinced that the Ostrogothic kingdom in Italy had really bad luck and something should have been done about them too: maybe assuming stronger tensions on the Persian border, or simply butterflying away Belisarius).
Going back to the Visigoths, if they can hold back the muslim invasion their situation becomes quite interesting. they are protected by the Pyrenees agaisnt the Franks and they could build up a strong kingdom, with possibilities to expand toward North Africa or toward Provence (or both). Additionally, a Spanish kingdom should by its own nature have a strong navy: again this opens a lot of possibilities
If the Vandals had allied themselves with the Visigoths and remained in Spain, or retreated with their navy back to Spain when they ran into problems in North Africa, they might have served as the basis for an early spanish navy. This would have permitted

Admiral Matt,

The Seleucids could expand eastward to extend their control over a greater tax and manpower base to ultimately turn their attentions West again. Sort of a Do-A-to-Eventually-Do-B scenario (conquer, say, Baluchistan, to get more net manpower and tax revenue, then apply that against the other Greeks).

The eastern portion of the Seleucid empire was carved out by the Parthians in the 3rd century BC, while they were busy with the wars of the Diadochi in the west. There was also the adventures of the Mauryan Empire of India there.