28 Days Later - Death of a Nation

Or the Appalachians; I can see Bush and the government evacuating to Mount Weather or Raven Rock once things get out of hand (and Greenbrier for the Congress)...

The USA have the following advantages compared to Britain
- A larger territory
- less population density
- way more military means, both in terms of armed forces and armed civilians

Even without considering nuke, they will have way more time to react. Given the fact than the infected "immediatly" transform, even without using nukes (the time involved to take the decision might sadly be not enough to avoid loosing the Boston–Washington corridor, but I wonder how hard it would be to seal some line of defense around natural obstacle, let's say the Mississippi or the Rocky Mountains.

Outer Lands would be used to evacuate people. As for losing the Boston-Washington corridor, we can use the template for Left 4 Dead since the Green Flu began in Pennsylvania and spread to the south.

Outer Lands would be used to evacuate people. As for losing the Boston-Washington corridor, we can use the template for Left 4 Dead since the Green Flu began in Pennsylvania and spread to the south.

Yeah, Cape Cod, Nantucket, Martha's Vineyard, and Long Island would be good initial evacuation points--of course, with regards to Long Island, the cities of Brooklyn and Queens and numerous others are on Long Island, and you can't evacuate everyone; the Cape Cod Canal would be a good defensive point...

OTOH, the government would have enough time to evacuate (and they would; I could see some government officials staying behind to the end)...

Yeah, Cape Cod, Nantucket, Martha's Vineyard, and Long Island would be good initial evacuation points--of course, with regards to Long Island, the cities of Brooklyn and Queens and numerous others are on Long Island, and you can't evacuate everyone; the Cape Cod Canal would be a good defensive point...

OTOH, the government would have enough time to evacuate (and they would; I could see some government officials staying behind to the end)...

I could see other state National Guard come into the defense of New York City after the fall of Boston, don't know how this will be evacuated or fortified. My guess is they use lots of ships to temporarily relocate the resdents of New York offshore with the help of the U.S. Navy, Coast Guard, and Merchant Marine just like Operation Boatlift during 9/11.

But, then again, NYC itself has about 8 million people, and the metro area at least 15 to 20 million; you ain't evacuating everyone there (and the US government is going to realize that immediately). If you include the populations of Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New Hampshire (granted, some New Hampshire towns might self-isolate, as well as Vermont), Vermont, Maine, and New York, as well as, from there, New Jersey, central and eastern Pennsylvania, Maryland, Delaware, and most of Virginia (1), you're looking at about 40-60 million people...

BTW, sites like Mount Weather, Raven Rock, and Greenbrier would host the US government here and be well-fortified...

(1) Other defensive points would include the Berkshires (in western Massachusetts) and the Appalachians in Massachusetts, New York, Pennsylvania, and Virginia, as well as western North Carolina, South Carolina, northern Georgia, and the Smoky Mountains in Tennessee. The Mississippi is also a natural barrier; just blow up the bridges if it comes to that...

But, then again, NYC itself has about 8 million people, and the metro area at least 15 to 20 million; you ain't evacuating everyone there (and the US government is going to realize that immediately). If you include the populations of Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New Hampshire (granted, some New Hampshire towns might self-isolate, as well as Vermont), Vermont, Maine, and New York, as well as, from there, New Jersey, central and eastern Pennsylvania, Maryland, Delaware, and most of Virginia (1), you're looking at about 40-60 million people...

BTW, sites like Mount Weather, Raven Rock, and Greenbrier would host the US government here and be well-fortified...

(1) Other defensive points would include the Berkshires (in western Massachusetts) and the Appalachians in Massachusetts, New York, Pennsylvania, and Virginia, as well as western North Carolina, South Carolina, northern Georgia, and the Smoky Mountains in Tennessee. The Mississippi is also a natural barrier; just blow up the bridges if it comes to that...

They could also blow up the tunnels and bridges into Manhattan and make it an island fortress. There are also ton of minor islands in North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, and Florida. Also, since the infection begins in Boston (fast infected cannot run forever or will wear out eventually), the U.S. government have time to be relocated to different places like Mount Weather, Site R, STRATCOM bunker in Offutt AFB, Nebraska (Bush stayed here during 9/11), Cheyenne Mountain Complex, or even an offshore carrier and submarine. Norfolk is just at D.C.'s next door. Greenbrier is already closed so Congress would be evacuated to Mount Weather as some of them were during 9/11.

Hadn't thought about that, @Gillan1220. So how far do you see a Rage outbreak starting in Boston (Cambridge, to be exact, but it's a suburb of Boston) reaching in the US/Canada?

Hadn't thought about that, @Gillan1220. So how far do you see a Rage outbreak starting in Boston (Cambridge, to be exact, but it's a suburb of Boston) reaching in the US/Canada?

Canadians could offer a poor resistance since they have small military. Best option is too relocate to the Maritime provinces. Boston and the rest would be screwed unless it would be stopped on time or stopped due to natural barriers. If you New York gets hit, it would be compared to a modern-day fall of Rome with Wall Street collapsing. Think of it like 9/11 but much worse.

They could also blow up the tunnels and bridges into Manhattan and make it an island fortress. There are also ton of minor islands in North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, and Florida. Also, since the infection begins in Boston (fast infected cannot run forever or will wear out eventually), the U.S. government have time to be relocated to different places like Mount Weather, Site R, STRATCOM bunker in Offutt AFB, Nebraska (Bush stayed here during 9/11), Cheyenne Mountain Complex, or even an offshore carrier and submarine. Norfolk is just at D.C.'s next door. Greenbrier is already closed so Congress would be evacuated to Mount Weather as some of them were during 9/11.

- It seems that, using major transport axis, New York is at 350km from Boston. A human walk a 5km, and sprint at 10km/h, so you can safely assume that you have between a few days and two week before shit hit the fans in New York. That depend of a lot of parameters, like how is the stamina of the infected, but it's hard to give a precise estimation given we are by definition in ASB territory. Napoleon Grande Armée was able to walk 40km a day tho.

- In the meantime, the government will have to figure exactly what the fuck is happening (12 to 48hours ? ), define an action plan, mobilize the means to execute it and implements it. Evacuating millions of peoples in such a time, especially with most of the personnel available to carry such an evac being trained and briefed for it is, IMO, impossible.

- That’s what I think it’s impossible to save the North-Eastern metropolis. Massive deployment on nuke and chemical weapons (they are not zombies, so nerve gas should be more efficient than nukes) will work, but good luck to convince your government to deploy them on what will be still considered as your own civilians.

- Concerning safezones in the North-East, you’ll need to cram millions of peoples, without probably enough supply to feed them and personnel to control them. I might be mistaken, but they aren’t a lot of firearms in circulation in the zone, so relying on “militia” to plug the hole into your line of defense will be hard. Long Island seems to be savable, but you’ll again need to act very fast and “harshly” (ie blowing bridge with millions of people still crossing, trapped on the other side) and deploy enough military to maintain order until the infection “burn out” by itself (knowing that only a few infected going through might ruin your plans).

Then, I don’t see the US fall. It’s actually “easy” to contain the spread if the government maintain to keep control and act rationally:

- Releasing chemical weapons of the main infected concentration might be enough to reduce the hordes that will be roaming outside of the metropolis and avoiding the “problem” of fallout. Good luck dealing with the political fallout of collateral damage tho.

- If the Army act “smart” they can “lure” the infected in predefined killing zone, again removing a large part of the “large hordes”.

- For the isolated group/individuals that might go through, briefing the civilian about what to do (barricading themselves in upper floors etc…) might slow down the spread enough to have the situation controllable.

In the end, it’s also a question of logistic: will enough personnel, ammo, fuel, etc… be avalaible for deployement fast enough to contains the threat without the “social tissue” of the country collapsing and ruining any chance to maintain control? USA got some space to trade and more means than Britain, so I think there is a chance. No idea if the stopping line will be the Potomac, the Missipi or the Rockies tho.

Lots of towns and hamlets in Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont are pretty isolated--even some small cities. Likewise numerous coastal islands in Maine. Lots of people with guns too. I think the northern and eastern parts of Maine especially could stand off the infected quite a long time.

rage 2.png

Not the best map in the world I know. White represents areas either successfully evacuated or rural areas that survived infection. Green represents designated 'Green Areas'
Some 3 million people would escape Great Britain, another 3 million would make it to the security of the safe zones and other 2 million survived either by living in rural areas or successfully barricading in their homes. By 2010, the population of the island of Great Britain would be 6 million spread across 30 'districts' set up by NATO.

Interesting map - however there is little chance the central white belt would be that clear- sure there are hills, dale and moor up there, but the M6 would spread infected up Lancaster, Kendal, Penrith, Carlisle in the west and the A1(m) would have taken it to Hartlepool, Middlesbrough, Durham, Sunderland, Newcastle etc.

The rest I agree with.

Hey folks, I was gonna do a fanfiction of the Bates Family on how they survived on the Principality of Sealand micronation.

I was busy for quiet some time while working on other TLs and I apparently forgot about it until now.