28 Days Later - Death of a Nation

Thanks for the comments everyone :)

Need to think about how to proceed with the spread of the virus. Spain and Switzerland halt overland spread of the virus, Italian and Austrian forces will attempt to create protected safe zones in the Alps, but Germany will be lost owning to its population.

Parts of Greece will survive, particulary more mountainous areas, or offshore islands. A defensive area can be set up behind the Corinth Canal too.

The infected are going to have a high chance of breaking through to the middle east. I think Israel is going to be very quickly start building a wall and evacuating Jerusalem, like they did for WWZ. I know the infected aren't like zombies, but still......

It would be interesting to see how Israel did respond to such a crisis. Some sort of Security Wall would probably be put up just like in World War Z. I can only begin to guess as whether they would deploy nuclear or chemical weapons if they felt the wall would fall to the infected.

and, with the almost efeective fall of Europe; what will US do to avoid the same fate; and , maybe China, and Africa; they must also plan something to avoid that fate

Hnau

Banned
The French use their nukes, but the Russians do? I think the Russians would be more than willing to bomb their neighbors to create a sort of firebreak for the infection. It'll slow them down, but won't stop them. As for the Italians, I think its very possible they could pull off a defensive line at the Alps. If the Spanish can do it, so can the Italians. I also wouldn't put it above the Scandinavian countries to create a defensive line at the Finnish borderline, and to cooperate heavily with the Russians to keep the outbreak from swinging up to the north. I think Norway, Sweden and Finland have as good of a chance of surviving as Spain.

Ummm... lets see, what else... evacuation of Istanbul? Middle Eastern cooperation to make a defensive line at the Caucasus Mountains? Chinese and Indian military cooperating with the Russians at the Ural Mountains?

You're doing good kspence. :)

The French use their nukes, but the Russians do? I think the Russians would be more than willing to bomb their neighbors to create a sort of firebreak for the infection. It'll slow them down, but won't stop them. As for the Italians, I think its very possible they could pull off a defensive line at the Alps. If the Spanish can do it, so can the Italians. I also wouldn't put it above the Scandinavian countries to create a defensive line at the Finnish borderline, and to cooperate heavily with the Russians to keep the outbreak from swinging up to the north. I think Norway, Sweden and Finland have as good of a chance of surviving as Spain.

Ummm... lets see, what else... evacuation of Istanbul? Middle Eastern cooperation to make a defensive line at the Caucasus Mountains? Chinese and Indian military cooperating with the Russians at the Ural Mountains?

You're doing good kspence. :)

your ignoring the tfact that the italians have a few large gaps and areas cpnnected nby lo land, plus sweeden is tunnel and bridge with denmark...and the sea can freeze over sometimes between norway/sweeden/denamrk

as i See, france is lost; but, who guard their coast (and Holland, and Germany); all are wokirng to protect the inner land; but how abot the sea; the medyterranean sea; if only one escape to North Africa, the hell loosen

Eastern European Theatre
By the end of March, Western Europe was a desolate wasteland, with a few exceptions in Switzerland, Ireland, the Netherlands and the Iberian penisula. The Rage ravaged Eastern Europe as April progressed. Warsaw was described as one Polish journalist as "Having not seen such devastation and panic since the Warsaw Uprising of 1944"

Polands government would relocate to Lodz as Warsaw fell, then flee to Ukraine as the whole country collapsed into civil unrest. A military government would take the resigns of power and try and hold the uninfected redoubts scattered across Poland together, though with limited sucess. The Baltic states would suffer a similar fate during April.

The former Yugoslav countries struggles to cope with an influx of refugees coming across the Adriatic sea from Italy, as well having to death with renewed ethnic tensions between Serbis, Croats and Albanians.

As Serbia, Croatia and Bosnia collapsed under giant waves of refugees from Austria, Hungary and Italy, as well as internal strife, riots and panic broke out in Romania and Bulgaria, with both nations realising that containment of the virus was a lost cause. Millions of Romanian refugees would try and flee across Moldova and Ukraine towards the safety of Russia, whilst Bulgarians streamed into Turkey and Greece.

The Greek army initially held a defensive line along the entire border, and even supported by remants of the Bulgarian army, was still to overstretched to hold back the infection sweeping through the Balkans.

A controvertial decision was taken to relocated the government and the majority of the armed forces behind the Corinth Canal. In order for Greece to survive, Athens, the ancient capital, had to be abandoned.

Whilst the decision to abandon over half the country would be controvertial for decades to come, it saved millions of Greeks from infection. Greece was one of the few European nations to survive the epidemic intact, albeit having lost over half their territory.

The fall of northern Greece led to the Turkish government evacuating the entire population of Istanbul across the Bosphorus river into Asia minor, and destroyed the bridges behind them, cutting off the Middle East from Europe, at least for the time being. In the weeks that would follow, chaos would plague Turkey as several million refugees from Istanbul, and millions more from Bulgaria and Greece settled in the country. The strain on resourses led to riots and protests, culmintating in a violent military coup on 2 May, the Generals promising to restore order and protect the country. A counter coup two days later followed by a popular civilian uprising against the counter coup would ensure chaos in Turkey for months to come.

The first cases of rage were reported in towns along the Ukrainian western border in Moldova on 5 May, and the next day, outbreaks struck south west Belarus. A small number of asymptomatic carriers (less than 0.1% of those who come into contact with infected and survive) would lead to the virus spreading behind defence lines in eastern Poland and Belarus

In Moscow, President Vladimir Putin would look out the windows of his office in the Kremlin at a military parade in the square, as they prepared to go to the new defensive line that would stretch from St Petersburg to Smolensk to Rostov. Hundreds of thousands of heavily armed soldiers, thousands of tanks and APC's and several hundred helicopters, as well as millions of land mines and many thousands of miles of barbed wire cut across Russia's western areas. Russia was about to face the infection head on.

Of course, if all those defences didnt work, there was also another option to fall back on...around 12,000 of these options patiently waited in underground silos and submarines.

Last edited:
finally; i have been waiting;

so, almost all europe is lost, too bad
at least, it was god, that greec survive, they sacrifice a lot, but they survive;
and Turkey; drastics measures

I am waiting to see the final russian solution

Hey, I've been thinking about how Europe would defend against the 28 days later outbreak in France and thought of this.

Basically, these plans would only happen if every country in Europe decided to start to build defences as the outbreak happened in the UK. This gives them 28 weeks or 7 months to build them.
I have taken the liberty of assuming that the infected can't cross defended mountains or major rivers.

I can imagine that the US, Russia and almost everyone in the world would give loads of resources to the Europeans to try and stop the infection in Europe and stop it spreading to Asia. This would be in all sorts of things from arms, to food for refugee camps to actual soldiers on the ground.

France: Basically crapped, No real rivers that end in mountains to set up defensive lines and since it is such a big country this is also impractical. Its' only real lines of defence are in Brittany, Cherbourg Peninsula and the Garonne River near Bordeaux. Its plan of action would be first to try and contain the plague, but once that fails, evacuate its populations to behind the defensive lines in Brittany, Cherbourg, Garonne River and behind the Rhine and in Italy. Most of the most important government things would go to Corsica just to be doubly safe.

Belgium and Luxembourg: very crapped, no natural lines of defence and hardly any time before the infection arrives at their borders. Their main objective would be to get as much of their population and defensive capabilities behind the Rhine defences.

Germany: The major defensive line would be the Rhine. It in many places high mountain and is very wide so could easily serve as a breaker. The problem they have is that it is so long and all it takes is one infected to get through. So as soon as the infection happens in France, all German citizens on the French side of the Rhine and within 20 miles of it are evacuated to massive refugee camps. This line of defence is likely to fall though so as soon as it hits a major population centre they abandon the rest of Germany to defend along the Elbe and Danube. The Danube part would just be for the Germans and is also quite long. While the Elbe one is very long but likely to be backed by at least Austria, Poland and Czech Republic. The Germans would also try and defend Hamburg but likely to have to withdraw behind the Kiel Canal. This is probably the safest place in all Germany so the government is likely to de facto evacuate to there once the outbreak happens in France.

Netherlands: Likely to try and defend the Rhine front at all costs, however once that fails, retreat to behind the "Ramstad defence" Which would probably hold and could be re-enforced by flooding the rest of the Netherlands. Even if this fails they could defend in the peninsula of North Holland.

Denmark:
Should be very safe, could carry on almost as normal until the Rhine defence falls, then re-enforce the defensive line on the Kiel Canal, once that fails retreat to a line in Southern Danish Jutland and once that fails, and retreat to the islands, taking the population with them.

Spain and Portugal: They would defend the Pyrenees with everything they had and probably enact and exclusion zone of like 40 miles so any once infected that gets through can be tracked down and killed before they do any damage. However, if the Pyrenees fall, Spain and Portugal are doomed.

Sweden and Norway: Should be the least worried in Europe apart from island nations. The infected would have to overrun all continental defences and survive the march through Lapland or the miles of sea of the Oresund to get to any major population centres, basically safe.

Switzerland: Its mountains and rivers should allow it to hide behind many different lines of defence, however all but the Alpine defences would probably fall, so it would lose the majority of its' cities.

Italy: Is one of the better defensible nations. It could 1st, have defences along the French Alps. Once these fail, retreat to the other side of the Po River. If this falls then it can pick several very defensible positions along the thin peninsula. Very likely to survive and even if everything goes wrong it would still have Sicily and Sardinia.

Poland, Czech Republic, Belarus and Lithuania: Would defend the Elbe line for the lives of everyone they know. However, this is not very strong and is a long line of defence to hold. Therefore is likely to fall. The Poles might try and create a defence line along one of their major rivers, but like France they aren't very defensible and would be likely to fail. The other nations are crapped once the Elbe falls.

Estonia and Latvia: Can have their own defensive lines, but they would likely fall. Estonia would use Lake Pepius and the sea, but for such a small nation it would be a very hard task to defend them for long and it would likely to seek evacuating its small population to Finland or Russia and its islands in the Baltic
Latvia would probably try and form a defensive line along the bottom of the Courland? Peninsula. Due to a small population, it would likely fail.

Former Yugoslavia, Austria and Hungary: Would defend the Danube line for their nations. It would start at the Alpine defences of Austria and then go along the Danube. This is also likely to fail as it is so long and the nations defending it do not have the capabilities that the Western European nations do. Slovakia would probably defend this line to as it could easily evacuate it population behind it.

Romania: Would likely use the Carpathian Mountains to try and slow the zombie advance, once this fails, they would retreat behind the Danube. This is small enough to actually hold out, but most of the Romanian population would die if it came to this.

Greece: is like Italy, has numerous geographical choke points and by the time the Danube falls could easily evacuate its population to its islands and 1st Athens and then behind the Corinth canal.

Ukraine:
would use the Crimea as a safe haven and try and evacuate the most amounts of people there. It would probably team up with Russia in a defensive line somewhere as a last ditch attempt.

Russia and Finland:
Most of Russia would fall as the line of defence and the amount of infected would be too great. Finland would probably try and team up with Russia to defend itself, St Petersburg and Karelia. If this line of defence falls then Finland falls. Finland would evacuate its government to Aland Islands if that line fell. Russia would keep retreating and retreating hoping the cold and the vastness would stop the infection.

Turkey: Would probably evacuate all of mainland Thrace just to be sure but may try and defend the thin bit of the peninsula just to be sure. Would keep a worried eye on how the infection is advancing in the Caucasus.

To illistrate my points I made some maps :D Showing the defensive lines.

On the one below it shows how likely I think areas are to be able to stay infected free, from Dark red = defo Zombieland to Green = Zombies only on the telly.

defence polticial.png

I liked the first part of this AAR, 28 Days Later, however I honestly think that you didn't do very well with writing the events of 28 Weeks Later.

My biggest rage (pun moment :p) with this is that you wrote this as every nation for itself. I honestly cannot comprehend how that with word of an outbreak in France, every military in Europe (and most likely America) is headed towards France in an effort to stop it before it spreads throughout Europe.The fact that there wasn't an massive international force on the way in when the virus first struke France strikes me as very naive. I can understand why there might not have been an international force on the way immediately seeing as how everyone thought the virus had been killed off, but surely within a few hours of the French government realising that the Rage Virus was spreading throughout Northern France, you'd have the entire world throwing its resources immediately.

It was mentioned earlier that governments made contingency plans in case of any potential disaster. I'd think that in the aftermath of Britain collapsing completely, every other government would have started to make plans in case infection spread to their nation. You seem to portray every country as though they hadn't encountered the virus already and had little idea of its capabilities.

Something else that struck me during your portrayal of 28 Days Later is that it was basically Britain on its own. Why weren't there foreign soldiers going over to fight? I doubt that America would have watched over the course of a month its main European ally collapse without doing anything to help.

The point I'm basically making here is that you don't seem to imagine a strong international response to the Rage Virus. I honestly cannot comprehend any other scenario that doesn't include massive foreign intervention.

I liked the first part of this AAR, 28 Days Later, however I honestly think that you didn't do very well with writing the events of 28 Weeks Later.

My biggest rage (pun moment :p) with this is that you wrote this as every nation for itself. I honestly cannot comprehend how that with word of an outbreak in France, every military in Europe (and most likely America) is headed towards France in an effort to stop it before it spreads throughout Europe.The fact that there wasn't an massive international force on the way in when the virus first struke France strikes me as very naive. I can understand why there might not have been an international force on the way immediately seeing as how everyone thought the virus had been killed off, but surely within a few hours of the French government realising that the Rage Virus was spreading throughout Northern France, you'd have the entire world throwing its resources immediately.

It was mentioned earlier that governments made contingency plans in case of any potential disaster. I'd think that in the aftermath of Britain collapsing completely, every other government would have started to make plans in case infection spread to their nation. You seem to portray every country as though they hadn't encountered the virus already and had little idea of its capabilities.

Something else that struck me during your portrayal of 28 Days Later is that it was basically Britain on its own. Why weren't there foreign soldiers going over to fight? I doubt that America would have watched over the course of a month its main European ally collapse without doing anything to help.

The point I'm basically making here is that you don't seem to imagine a strong international response to the Rage Virus. I honestly cannot comprehend any other scenario that doesn't include massive foreign intervention.

Would France accept any foreign troops, especially American ones? also, don't underestimate the stupid virus paralyzing most governments;)

Would France accept any foreign troops, especially American ones? also, don't underestimate the stupid virus paralyzing most governments;)

Considering how their neighbour literally collapsed with millions dead, I'd say the French would be more willing to consider. And there's stupid virus, and there's realism which the author has said he's trying to aim for

Pikers3 made some very good observations here.

Why is it I see wave after wave of Soviet tanks and APC's literally running over hordes of Infected, guns blazing...?

Also, don't forget the effect of animals spreading Rage (i.e. Scotland). Given the chaos many housepets are going to be abandoned to their fate. Needing to eat, it's not unlikely many near the front lines will tear up bodies of Infected, then go on to spread the disease. I can easily see orders to shoot any animal on sight be issued. But that won't stop birds...

Hey, I've been thinking about how Europe would defend against the 28 days later outbreak in France and thought of this.

Basically, these plans would only happen if every country in Europe decided to start to build defences as the outbreak happened in the UK. This gives them 28 weeks or 7 months to build them.
I have taken the liberty of assuming that the infected can't cross defended mountains or major rivers.

I can imagine that the US, Russia and almost everyone in the world would give loads of resources to the Europeans to try and stop the infection in Europe and stop it spreading to Asia. This would be in all sorts of things from arms, to food for refugee camps to actual soldiers on the ground.

France: Basically crapped, No real rivers that end in mountains to set up defensive lines and since it is such a big country this is also impractical. Its' only real lines of defence are in Brittany, Cherbourg Peninsula and the Garonne River near Bordeaux. Its plan of action would be first to try and contain the plague, but once that fails, evacuate its populations to behind the defensive lines in Brittany, Cherbourg, Garonne River and behind the Rhine and in Italy. Most of the most important government things would go to Corsica just to be doubly safe.

Belgium and Luxembourg: very crapped, no natural lines of defence and hardly any time before the infection arrives at their borders. Their main objective would be to get as much of their population and defensive capabilities behind the Rhine defences.

Germany: The major defensive line would be the Rhine. It in many places high mountain and is very wide so could easily serve as a breaker. The problem they have is that it is so long and all it takes is one infected to get through. So as soon as the infection happens in France, all German citizens on the French side of the Rhine and within 20 miles of it are evacuated to massive refugee camps. This line of defence is likely to fall though so as soon as it hits a major population centre they abandon the rest of Germany to defend along the Elbe and Danube. The Danube part would just be for the Germans and is also quite long. While the Elbe one is very long but likely to be backed by at least Austria, Poland and Czech Republic. The Germans would also try and defend Hamburg but likely to have to withdraw behind the Kiel Canal. This is probably the safest place in all Germany so the government is likely to de facto evacuate to there once the outbreak happens in France.

Netherlands: Likely to try and defend the Rhine front at all costs, however once that fails, retreat to behind the "Ramstad defence" Which would probably hold and could be re-enforced by flooding the rest of the Netherlands. Even if this fails they could defend in the peninsula of North Holland.

Denmark:
Should be very safe, could carry on almost as normal until the Rhine defence falls, then re-enforce the defensive line on the Kiel Canal, once that fails retreat to a line in Southern Danish Jutland and once that fails, and retreat to the islands, taking the population with them.

Spain and Portugal: They would defend the Pyrenees with everything they had and probably enact and exclusion zone of like 40 miles so any once infected that gets through can be tracked down and killed before they do any damage. However, if the Pyrenees fall, Spain and Portugal are doomed.

Sweden and Norway: Should be the least worried in Europe apart from island nations. The infected would have to overrun all continental defences and survive the march through Lapland or the miles of sea of the Oresund to get to any major population centres, basically safe.

Switzerland: Its mountains and rivers should allow it to hide behind many different lines of defence, however all but the Alpine defences would probably fall, so it would lose the majority of its' cities.

Italy: Is one of the better defensible nations. It could 1st, have defences along the French Alps. Once these fail, retreat to the other side of the Po River. If this falls then it can pick several very defensible positions along the thin peninsula. Very likely to survive and even if everything goes wrong it would still have Sicily and Sardinia.

Poland, Czech Republic, Belarus and Lithuania: Would defend the Elbe line for the lives of everyone they know. However, this is not very strong and is a long line of defence to hold. Therefore is likely to fall. The Poles might try and create a defence line along one of their major rivers, but like France they aren't very defensible and would be likely to fail. The other nations are crapped once the Elbe falls.

Estonia and Latvia: Can have their own defensive lines, but they would likely fall. Estonia would use Lake Pepius and the sea, but for such a small nation it would be a very hard task to defend them for long and it would likely to seek evacuating its small population to Finland or Russia and its islands in the Baltic
Latvia would probably try and form a defensive line along the bottom of the Courland? Peninsula. Due to a small population, it would likely fail.

Former Yugoslavia, Austria and Hungary: Would defend the Danube line for their nations. It would start at the Alpine defences of Austria and then go along the Danube. This is also likely to fail as it is so long and the nations defending it do not have the capabilities that the Western European nations do. Slovakia would probably defend this line to as it could easily evacuate it population behind it.

Romania: Would likely use the Carpathian Mountains to try and slow the zombie advance, once this fails, they would retreat behind the Danube. This is small enough to actually hold out, but most of the Romanian population would die if it came to this.

Greece: is like Italy, has numerous geographical choke points and by the time the Danube falls could easily evacuate its population to its islands and 1st Athens and then behind the Corinth canal.

Ukraine:
would use the Crimea as a safe haven and try and evacuate the most amounts of people there. It would probably team up with Russia in a defensive line somewhere as a last ditch attempt.

Russia and Finland:
Most of Russia would fall as the line of defence and the amount of infected would be too great. Finland would probably try and team up with Russia to defend itself, St Petersburg and Karelia. If this line of defence falls then Finland falls. Finland would evacuate its government to Aland Islands if that line fell. Russia would keep retreating and retreating hoping the cold and the vastness would stop the infection.

Turkey: Would probably evacuate all of mainland Thrace just to be sure but may try and defend the thin bit of the peninsula just to be sure. Would keep a worried eye on how the infection is advancing in the Caucasus.

To illistrate my points I made some maps :D Showing the defensive lines.

On the one below it shows how likely I think areas are to be able to stay infected free, from Dark red = defo Zombieland to Green = Zombies only on the telly.

Thats a very cool map :D most of poor old Europe is looking buggered, and silly me i totally forgot to include Denmark, Norway and sweden in the timeline.

I actually have to agree, i found writing the first 28 days far more easy and enjoyable, largely becasue i know more about UK geography and defensive capabilities, which is why the Europe outbreak dosnt have as much detail. I didnt include international forces arriving to back up the UK in the original 28 days in order to keep with the movie canon :)