28 Days Later - Death of a Nation

Heres a little something until the next proper update in the timeline.

From the book: Death of a Nation ( a collection of fifty different survivors accounts of how they made it through the outbreak, published in May 2006 two years after the outbreak in England and the subsequent Eurasian Epidemic that began eight months later. All proceeds went to the British Refugee Fund).

Diana Larkin, 23 years old : "The motorway was jam packed with cars. With busses, vans, lorries. People had luggage tied to their roofs, some people were even sitting on roofs of trucks and busses, it was a surreal sight. Some people who had motorbikes zipped through the traffic fine, until they were dragged off and their bikes stolen. Me and my boyfriend, Rick, we'd been stuck the traffic jam for hours. We'd barely made it out of Cambridge in time before the infected overrun the entire city and there we were stuck in traffic on the M11 trying to get to London, where it was still safe, at that point anyway. It had been three days since the riots started, the police were long gone. We'd heard rumours that the army had abandoned their posts in the city too, thats when the panic set in and everyone tried to leave.

The news on the radio had gone from bad, to downright horrendous :Thousands dead in Cambridge. Riots in Bedford. Soldiers barricading Peterbourgh. Tanks on the streets of Luton. It just didnt seem real. It was like a nightmare, only we couldnt wake up. Just that morning we had barely escaped with our lives as the infection reached our street, our neighbours chasing us as we made a run from the house to our car. We made it, obviously, and i remember crying hysterically as we sped at maybe 60mph down a 20mph zone, knocking a few of the infected down.

There was sheer pandemonium on the M11 motorway that day when a police helicopter hovered overhead and told us through a loudspeaker to get out our cars and walk south, as the infection had reached the motorway. You had to be there to understand what i'm talking about. People crashing into the cars in front, some pushing people to the ground as they ran, leaving those poor souls to be crushed under the feet of the stampeding crowd. People were literally jumping from car to car in an attempt to get away, hopping from roof to roof, others fleeing into the nearby fields. And it only got worse when we looked back and saw smoke rising from a burning car maybe half a mile back, we knew the infected were getting close.

We ran as fast as we could, and sped up as the growls and screams came closer. I'm not entirely sure what Rick saw when he looked over his shoulder, but whatever it was, made him realise we couldnt keep running.

He opened the door of a car, a Ford Focus i remember, and shoved me in the back seat, and told me to lay down low and keep as quiet as possible. I tried begging him to get in, but he refused, he told me he loved me and slammed the doors closed. He shouted at the infected, he must have been a lot closer than i had thought : "Come on you fuckers ! I'm over here, come and get me bitches !"

He ran off , towards the field i think, the infected chasing after him and running right past the car i was hiding in. He saved my life by doing that, i stayed ridged in that car for about six hours, silently crying. I managed to get out the car, and walked down the motorway towards London. Everyone was gone, darkness had fallen on the silent motorway, the cars were all now abandoned, blood and bodies littering the road.

I walked down the road towards London, i was more than grateful to be spotted by a passing army chopper and taken the refugee centre at the Millenium Dome in London.

To this day, i still dont know what happened to Rick, i've accepted now that he died. He died so i could live, and i know in my heart ill always love him.

Now i live in New York, in the Free Continent's thousands of miles away from whatever is left of Europe and Asia, if anything. I miss my old home, i still think about my old life, but things have changed now, i've accepted that. What choice do i have ?"

From "Death of a Nation" - Chapter 1 , pages 8 - 12

The next update should be tomorrow, expect London to burn mwahhaaha

Last edited:
Code Red
Many things have been said about the events of that fateful December night. None of them good. The Second Battle of London, the Isle of Dogs Massacre, some even called it the Second Great Fire of London.

Whatever you chose to call it, almost all of those who were there that night are not around today to hear you call it by its name. 13,649 was the official deathtoll. About 40% of the troops stationed there were evacuated in time to a military camp in the countryside south west of London. Almost all of the civilians would die in the massacre.

One man's kiss with his infected wife, even though she showed no symptoms , would lead to the death of thousands in only a few hours.

His wife was his first target after the infection consumed his body, then the nearby guards. Within five minutes ten people had become infected, and General Stone, Commander of the US Army's 82nd Airborne that was overseeing District 1, called a Code Red.

The first part of the Code Red order was to evacuate civilians from their homes and into designated safe rooms, mostly warehouses or large parking garages. The doors were locked, sealing the panicked population inside.

When the doors to the largest safe room were broken by a single infected, a bloody massacre ensued and the virus spread at an almost unbelievable rate, leaving hundreds dead and nearly a thousand infected within a few minutes.

Gunfire was soon echoeing throughout the streets of District 1 as the infection pursued their victims without mercy. 50 cal. machineguns mounted on humvee's cut them down by the dozens, but it became hard to tell the infected apart from the non infected in the huge crowds.

The order to exterminate EVERYTHING, infected or uninfected, came through 15 minutes after the first attacks. It was out of control, and the only way of stopping the spread was to kill everyone the virus could potentially spread to.

Snipers and machineguns gunned down hundreds of people, infected and uninfected. Some began to abandon their posts as the infected numbers grew and panic set in, others abandoned their posts refusing to shoot unarmed civilians.

Most of the soldiers began to fall back to pre planned positions on the ouskirts of district 1 to await helicopter extraction when it became clear all was lost.

USAF jets began bombing the streets of District 1 within half an hour of the outbreak, killing thousands of infected and uninfected, followed by the deployment of poisonious gas and special forces squads wearing NBC suits and armed with flamethrowers to kill the remaining survivors.

Three hours after the outbreak, District 1 was devoid of human life, and over 13,000 people lay dead in the streets or in burnt out buildings. A handful of civilians had escaped the area and were on the run, along with two army deserters, it was reported to General Stone as he was flown to safety.

News broke that "something" had happened in London within four hours. Nobody was quite sure what as communications were severely limited, but rumours persisted of an outbreak of infection, and anyone with access to a satellite could see the columns of smoke rising from London.

The Pentagon issued a statement 6 hours after the city was bombed, announcing that there had been an outbreak of infection in the city, and that District 1 had been bombed, leading to the death of all infected in the city. When queried about civilian casualties, the spokesman claimed that all civilians had already become infected or had been killed. Claims that were not believed by all, and online rumours of massacres of civilians by the military persisted. General Stone would be dishonourably discharged from the army and arrested and tried for negligence, for having allowed an infected carrier into the city.

In all the chaos and confusion, a single helicopter had crossed the channel unnoticed and landed near the town of Calais, France. When a farmer came up to see what all the fuss was about, a young boy who had been in the helicopter happened to sneeze before he could bring up a tissue, a little speck landing in the farmers eye. The first though of that farmer was "How bloody rude". The next was a little less coherent as a wave of burning pain shot through his body...

Next : The Fall of France

finally , we will see tha fall of Europe;
and all for the little boy

What I will NEVER understand is that these two brats were told NOT to leave District 1 and did anyway, going to their old home and finding their (infected) mother. So WHY were any of them allowed back in? I personally would have said "too bad, so sad. You aren't coming back in, period. Maybe listen to rules next time, assuming there is one." Or simply shooting them where they stood, as they could easily have touched something that still had the Rage virus on it. The risks letting them back in were just too great...

What I will NEVER understand is that these two brats were told NOT to leave District 1 and did anyway, going to their old home and finding their (infected) mother. So WHY were any of them allowed back in? I personally would have said "too bad, so sad. You aren't coming back in, period. Maybe listen to rules next time, assuming there is one." Or simply shooting them where they stood, as they could easily have touched something that still had the Rage virus on it. The risks letting them back in were just too great...

True, but even then I could see compassion being enough. What I don't get is that they know she's the mother of those kids, yet they still let the dad have security clearance to her. She and those kids could be infected, why in all that's sensible in this world would you let a possible breach of security have any clearance?

The moment his kids went missing there was no possible excuse as to why he should have any security clearance.

She and those kids could be infected.

All three should have been quarentened for as long as it took, with Dad's key being replaced/changed to allow absolutly NO access to the medical section. Although WHY he would have access to the medical section in the first place is beyond me...

(again, sorry about spelling...)

You could end the story now by saying " The American commander realised what was happening to the French Farmer and shot him dead straight way. Then with a sad recognition of what he had to do, he shot the little boy and girl." They then got in the helicopter and flew to the North Atlantic and dumped all three bodies in sea, never to be seen again."

All three should have been quarentened for as long as it took, with Dad's key being replaced/changed to allow absolutly NO access to the medical section. Although WHY he would have access to the medical section in the first place is beyond me...

(again, sorry about spelling...)

the people who instigated these security measures were american military...it explains alot without going into detail

the people who instigated these security measures were american military...it explains alot without going into detail

That, and also probably being that they had not personally witnessed the Rage epidemic completely misunderstood the virus, including how long it can survive outside a host and, worse, things like non-systomatic carriers.

In such a situation you take the absolute worst case scenario and multiply it by a factor of four or more. You simply cannot take chances with plagues, especially those involving a new factor that has so many unknown abilities. The kids and their mother should _never_ have been let inside but left outside and studied by troops in biosuits. The risk was just too great but, as I said, the US troops had no first-hand knowledge of Rage and nobody knew any details about it (at least among the living).

I wonder just how much the original scientists knew about Rage...

*YAWN*

Every country on this planet has emergency action plans, involving anything from shooting animals to stop the spread of CJD (seen it, been involved in it) right up to known NATO plans to lob nuclear weapons at anything from alien invasions to sudden mass-infections like this (known of for some time). The national head of state would give the final go-ahead but that would be that.

If you are absolutely sure your government doesn't have such a plan and you don't think anyone should as protecting millions by killing thousands, then you shouldn't be reading this person's work of disaster fiction based on a popular film.

*YAWN*

Every country on this planet has emergency action plans, involving anything from shooting animals to stop the spread of CJD (seen it, been involved in it) right up to known NATO plans to lob nuclear weapons at anything from alien invasions to sudden mass-infections like this (known of for some time). The national head of state would give the final go-ahead but that would be that.

If you are absolutely sure your government doesn't have such a plan and you don't think anyone should as protecting millions by killing thousands, then you shouldn't be reading this person's work of disaster fiction based on a popular film.

you do know what i was responding too right?..
the part about a civilian tech worker being able to access a high military level medical wing, where a current infected person, who happens to be his wife, is currently beign held?...or didnt you bother to read anythign above and just spouted that thinking i was having a go at all americans in general?...
i know not all americans are dumb and shit like that, and ocassionaly the military gets things right, but for the most part, and especially in films, like 28 weeks later, they are protrayed this dumb and careless...
and it wasnt anything to do with a countries contingency plan, it was to do with their very, very futile security measures...
so try readong the part to what someone is quoting and responding too, before talking next time

I wonder just how much the original scientists knew about Rage...

well int he comic series there ere onyl two sicentists working on the project...the first died in the intial outbreak,a nd the second was shot in the head whilst trying to convince this brat kid to let him help when he revleaed what he did...before she was mowed down by chopper gunfire and thereby removign anyone who couldve stopepd or explained anything...

I know the second film was a fiendish Anglo-Yankee plot to get septics into cinemas, but they've been portrayed as the bad guys since the end of the Star Wars saga (Empire: British Empire). However they would be the only ones with enough clout to get involved, as the continentals may be rubbing their hands at the prospect of the removal of Britain from the EU. Even if the Americans have ulterior motives (cash in banks, electronic money, even relics and finally gratitude of a thankful population) at least they would bother their arses to get stuck in when the opportunity arose.

That's a plum idea-can anyone field a short based on their own national "experiences" during the disaster? A French employee at the Calais Eurotunnel Terminal watching the streams of refugees coming out of the tunnel on foot in a reversal of Britain's 2001-2002 Tunnel "immigrant invasion"? Would the Gendarmes start shooting? They're legally entitled to do so thanks to French law. Alternatively how about a British "Reverse Dunkirk" where hundreds of thousands cram the coast from Ramsgate to Weymouth, protected by scant but heavily armed Army, Police and volunteers, climbing over one another to board anything that flies or floats out of England?

I'll try to lay on something from another squaddie's POV, having some experience in this particular field. I should think it WON'T involve the setting-up of a petty empire where women are objects (bloody infantry, giving the rest of us bad names).

Hopefully in the next couple of days, im not as familiar with France's georgraphy or military as i am with the UK so ill need to do some research on that first.

Battle of France part 1
At around 3:00 PM on Christmas Eve 2002, several people peered out of their windows in the village of Sangatte, France, a few miles outside the port of Calais.

They may have wondered what the shouting down the street was all about, and wondered even more as they saw a young boy sprinting down the street for all he was worth chased by a man in US army fatigues, a man who was obviously a farmer, and a young women no older than 18.

Curiousity gave way to terror as the villagers realised that the pursuers eyes were red, and they were frothing at the mouth. They were infected. The boy escaped, this is known because he was picked up by authorities, and when it was realised he was an English refugee who was apparantly immune to the virus, he was immediatley taken to a safe location in the US, still in tears about being responsible for his sister becoming infected after their helicopter landed in a field only ten minutes earlier.

Some villagers armed themselves with bats, spades and knifes and tried to form a barricade on the main road to halt the infected. The defence of Sangatte failed as the villagers were overrun and infected themselves, and panicked calls to police were initially thought as pranks, as it was was believed the infection would not cross the channel.

By the time the police became aware that it was infection, the village had been overrun and the Sangatte refugee camp was suffering an outbreak also. Dozens were dead and over a hundred were infected within half an hour.

Armed police closed the roads into Sangatte and shot at anything that moved, even though shoot to kill orders had not yet been given.

President Jacques Chirac was informed of the outbreak twenty minutes after it began, and immediately ordered the military to blockade the western side of Calais to protect it from the infection coming from the west.

When the TV channel France 24 broke the story of the Sangatte outbreak, panic followed in its larger neighbour Calais, as thousands tried to flee the city , fearing the infection would reach them soon. Over 5,000 British refugees in Calais also joined the exodus south, or in some cases east towards Belgium.

By the time the first army units had arrived outside Sangatte, they discovered the police roadblocks abandoned and strewn with bodies.

The infected had already broken through, and were in the outskirts of Calais. Some residents took matters into their own hands and grabbed fuel cannisters from local petrol stations and doused the roads into the west end of Calais, and set them alight to slow the spead of infection. Some people tried to barricade roads with cars and dumpsters, even park benches and shopping trollies were used to block roads, anything not nailed down.

Police officers helped in the efforts to block the roads, to allow the residents time to evacuate. Some of the refugees from Britain stayed behind to defend the town that had taken them in and sheltered them, and felt they had to repay the favour.

The infection breached the road blocks soon after, and the handful of armed police, soldiers and civilians who were defending it quickly were overwhelmed or forced to flee. It took an hour, maybe a little less before the infection had taken over most of the town. Thousands were dead and infected, and the mass evacuation of refugees in all directions from the town complicated efforts at containing the virus.

Panic buying started all across northen France when news broke that Calais had fallen to the infected. People as far east as Dunkirk began to evacuate fearing further spread of infection. In a widely reported incident caught on camera, a tank belonging to the French army crushed several refugee's cars as it stormed towards Calais trying to contain the spread of infection .

That night, the sky around Calais was lit up orange as the French Air Force destroyed the entire town, as well as Sangatte, using their bombers. However, it was too late, the infection had already spread beyond Calais, and the panic had spread even futher than that.

Chirac, knowing full well what the Rage Virus was capable of, declared a national State of Emergency the next morning as the infection reached the town of Dunkirk.

This declaration gave authorites sweeping powers to deal with anyone causing a nuisance or somehow hidnering the government's response to the outbreak. Opposition parties threw their support behind the President, something that was fairly rare in any democracy. But desperate times call for desperate measures. The government used the emergeny declaration to begin censoring the media and impose information blackouts in some areas, in an effort to reduce the panic. This would ultimatley backfire as not only would protests break out over it, but the public would not know the true extent of the danger until it was breaking through their windows.

Next : Fall of France part 2

Last edited: