28 Days Later - Death of a Nation

We also see an example of wildlife spreading the virus as the crow feasting on a Rage victim causes a drop of infected blood to drop into Franks eye and infects him. Maybe wildlife,besides the infected chimps, somehow help pass along the virus in various ways. Not saying other wildlife were actually infected as the virus was apparently limited to primates and as per the military man in 28 Weeks Later " didnt go cross species".

I like this idea, birds and other animals spreading infected body parts and blood in the path of panicing survivors.

There may have also been a few cases of people who were immune to the virus,like Alice and Andy, that became infected but were not symptomatic who then went to non-infected areas and subsequently infected others through passage of saliva or blood./QUOTE]

Another good idea, infected suddenly springing up in the middle of a group of refugees would cause massive panic.

Good if scary TL. I wonder what the situation is in the South West, geography favours the defender there, especially alongside the river lines.

Far Northern Highlands...

Looking at google maps, it takes more or less 8 days to walk from London to the Northern end of Scotland, and *that* assumes that A) You know exactly where you are going and B) you are walking 24 hours a day (which a Zombie would). I know that the Zombies started farther north than London, but still, getting within 28 days is going to be tough. (Note, it is an estimation, Google maps keeps trying to put you on Ferries to France or Ireland)

One query that I always had regarding the scenario in 28 Days Later is given the (ASB) nature of the plague, why weren't Nukes deployed to either create a fire break in front of the advancing infected or to sterilise areas already infected? Brutal I know but the alternative in canon was worse

I think maybe after day 5 you should put something in about an EU reaction, they would probably try and get the infection to burn itself out in the UK whist evacuating the most amount of people they can.

Ways they could do it...

1) Channel tunnel being turned into a massive evacuation highway using the trains.
2) All ferries, cruise liners and navy boats in the EU going to the UK to evacuate all the people there.
3) Reinforcements flying/sailing in from NATO nations to man the blockades around the cities. All UK troops from Germany/Afghanistan/Falkland Islands being flown back to defend the people.
4) Following your last update, nuclear weapons could be used against the cities nearest the break in the north. So nukes would destroy Leeds, Bradford, Manchester, Liverpool and maybe Hull, Preston, Blackburn, Blackpool and maybe even historic cities like York. This would kill most of the infected from these cities and many from other parts of the country who were eating the dead bodies in these cities.

Also the South West could also be tackled in the way the north is, if you manage to evacuate Bristol, Weston Super Mare and Bournemouth/Poole then there isn't any major cities for ages. Then set up a defensive line just east of Taunton and west of Bridgewater in Somerset, this defensive line would only be 33 miles long so should be easily defensible. Also you could evacuate the people of South Wales and the rest of the south west there too. Then slowly evacuate everyone to France or Ireland.

If the infected don't like getting their feet wet and can't swim then destroying bridges once evacuation has taken place would slow the infected down as well.

If you put this in winter, wouldn't a cold, snowy few days kill a load too?

Also the South West could also be tackled in the way the north is, if you manage to evacuate Bristol, Weston Super Mare and Bournemouth/Poole then there isn't any major cities for ages. Then set up a defensive line just east of Taunton and west of Bridgewater in Somerset, this defensive line would only be 33 miles long so should be easily defensible. Also you could evacuate the people of South Wales and the rest of the south west there too. Then slowly evacuate everyone to France or Ireland.

Yes, i believe that the Army could probably set up a reasonable defensive position in the south west that would be aided by the georgraphy of the landscape.

1) Channel tunnel being turned into a massive evacuation highway using the trains.
2) All ferries, cruise liners and navy boats in the EU going to the UK to evacuate all the people there.
3) Reinforcements flying/sailing in from NATO nations to man the blockades around the cities. All UK troops from Germany/Afghanistan/Falkland Islands being flown back to defend the people.

I actually wrote an update on the international reaction to the virus last night about the withdrawal from the Falklands and the influx of refugees to Europe , and the US and NATO response to the outbreak but my computer crashed just as i tried to post it :( ill redo it later tonight though hopefully.

One query that I always had regarding the scenario in 28 Days Later is given the (ASB) nature of the plague, why weren't Nukes deployed to either create a fire break in front of the advancing infected or to sterilise areas already infected? Brutal I know but the alternative in canon was worse

Its possible that nukes were deployed, although its never actually mentioned in the film. The government possibly feared the effects the radiation would have for any survivors, especially if there were many nukes used, which would devastate agriculture in the UK and possibly other parts of Europe due to fallout.

Still, if they were desperate enough, its possible a few may have launched.

JSmith

Banned
Its possible that nukes were deployed, although its never actually mentioned in the film. The government possibly feared the effects the radiation would have for any survivors, especially if there were many nukes used, which would devastate agriculture in the UK and possibly other parts of Europe due to fallout.

Still, if they were desperate enough, its possible a few may have launched.

I would personally vote against the nukes being used in anything approaching a widespread way-more than 1 or 2 at the most. If the goal was repopulation of mainland Britain 6 months after the infection surely radiation wasnt one of the problems they had to worry about as well.

JSmith

Banned
I actually wrote an update on the international reaction to the virus last night about the withdrawal from the Falklands and the influx of refugees to Europe , and the US and NATO response to the outbreak but my computer crashed just as i tried to post it :( ill redo it later tonight though hopefully.
That had to happen. Really looking forward to this part!

We also see an example of wildlife spreading the virus as the crow feasting on a Rage victim causes a drop of infected blood to drop into Franks eye and infects him. Maybe wildlife,besides the infected chimps, somehow help pass along the virus in various ways. Not saying other wildlife were actually infected as the virus was apparently limited to primates and as per the military man in 28 Weeks Later " didnt go cross species".

That might be possible. I could imagine the French army using anti aircraft guns to shoot down flocks of birds coming over the channel, just in case:p

JSmith

Banned
That might be possible. I could imagine the French army using anti aircraft guns to shoot down flocks of birds coming over the channel, just in case:p
What do you think of my other 2 options for the spread of Rage into north England/Scotland?

Around the world, and above
International response to the epidemic
This update was going to be about the evacuation but i decided to expand on this first before continuing with the evacuation efforts.

The morning of 5 May was no different from any other for most people in the world, and that included US President George W Bush, who woke up to the news on TV that there were riots in England, but took little notice, he was preoccupied with preperations for Israeli President Arial Sharons visit in a few days time.

That night however, he did take notice, as his National Security Adviser woke him at 3:00 AM to inform him of a "serious situation" in England.

He met with his cabinet in the White House, just as his counter parts were doing in Downing Street, and tried to piece together whatever information they could, which was very little, and a personal phone call to Tony Blair didnt yield any new information either. The UK government was clueless on what was going on too. The only real information was coming from the British media, which was reporting hundreds of casualties in what eye witnesses were calling "massacres".

Over the next 24 hours as the news broke that the riots were caused by a highly contagious virus that drives its victims into a state of murderous rage, millions of people around the world tuned into their tv's in a state of disbelief.

Some TV stations in the US, Canada and Europe suspended regular programming about four days into the outbreak to cover the escalating carnage engulfing the UK, as viewers couldnt take their eyes away from their tv's, both horrified and fascinated at the situation.

George Bush held a Press Conference on 9 May, five days into the outbreak and promised to help the British people in anyway possible during their hour of need.

Blair took Bush up on his offer two days later and asked the US to protect the Falkland Islands whilst the Royal Navy withdrew to aid in evacuating parts of Britain. Bush complied and dispatched several destroyers and a contengent of Marines to the islands, which did not go down well with Argentina, but they didnt do anything more than make diplomatic protests about that.

British forces in Germany had all been redeployed to the UK by 10 May, and a phased withdrawal from Afghanistan began the next day to allow time for other ISAF forces to replace the British Army.

After the London Stock Exchange permenently closed on 11 May, the economy of several European nations began to suffer. Several airlines went bust with the end of tourism to the UK, which also damaged tourism to Europe in general, as many non Europeans were wary of travel to Europe, in case the virus reached the continent. The massive influx of refugee's caused even more strain on Europe's economy, which began to head for reccession. More than a few fights broke out between refugee's and nationalists of their host countries, who blamed them for taking jobs and ruining the economy, although most people were welcoming and sympathetic, some even fostered or adopted orphaned refugee children.

Countries around the world rushed to evacuate their citizens from Britain, and most embassies were closed and the staff evacuated to their respective countries when it was clear the UK as a nation was doomed.

Media corporations outside the UK made massive viewing figures as people tuned in almost constantly to their TV's, but as the danger to reporters increased, most news teams were pulled out of the UK.

One CNN reporter who was reporting on the evacuation of Bristol was killed by the infected on live TV in front of millions, prompting the few remaining news teams in England to flee the country, mostly back home, or some to Northern Ireland where they could report from relative saftey.

By 12 May, over 100,000 people had arrived in France via the Channel Tunnel, but two days later, the French government sealed the tunnel on their end using concrete and cement, to prevent spread of infection (and refugees for that matter, who were becoming a drain on the national economy).

Still, ferries and other boats travelled almost constantly between southern England and northern France in what some called "Dunkirk in reverse" , rescuing many thousands more refugees from the dying nation.

As London fell, hundreds of barges crammed with desperate refugees sailed down the Thames and out into the sea, some docking in the Netherlands, others in Belgium. A few sunk when they crashed into others in the crowded waterway, with hundreds drowning in the mad dash to escape London by boat.

France and the Republic of Ireland finally decided to begin putting restrictions on ferry access on 20 May, the numbers were now overwhelming and the threat of infection too great, with massive numbers of infected overrunning much of the UK.

The Irish Republic's economy threatened to stagnate with the almost complete collapse in trade with its main trading parter, the United Kingdom. Things were looking increasingly grim for the economic situation in the European Union.

21 May finally saw the United Nations Security Council (absent the British Ambassador to the UN) vote to quarantine the island of Great Britain, and restrict all travel between Britain and the rest of the world. A no fly zone was imposed, as was a naval blockade. A French Air Force Colonel was detained and dishonourably discharged from the military after refusing orders to fire on a airliner fleeing the UK full of civilian refugees. He was greeted as a hero by the French and British people alike for his actions. Similar incidents occured in American, Irish, Norweigan and German military units as they refused to prevent refugees landing.

A communications blackout was imposed on the entire UK by NATO countries on 22 May, and the surviving British media fed rumours of outbreaks in Paris and New York. This was a ploy to prevent more refugees attempting to flee the UK, and it seemed to work. No more international news broadcasts reached the UK after that date, as satelite and other signal jamming went into effect, with the remnants of the UK government in Scotland strongly pressured into supporting this action by the US and EU members.

Last edited:
What do you think of my other 2 options for the spread of Rage into north England/Scotland?

Its quite plausable for the infection to spread through carriers like Andy, which is most likely how the Paris outbreak started in 28 weeks later, one sneeze in Glasgow or whereever and the city would be in chaos in mere hours. Also infected bodies washing up on the shores of Scotland could happen as well, all it would take is one police officer or whoever is clearing it up getting infected blood in their eye or mouth by some freak accident to start an outbreak.

JSmith

Banned
Not sure whats to come after that yet..
Thanks for the latest update!
Some sugestions on what to write about next after things finish off with the initial outbreak-the other remaining survivors in mainland Britain after the evacuations-besides you know who:), the situation in the European refugee camps,how many British people remain worldwide?,the British military forces in Afghanistan and elsewhere, other international reprecussions-economic,travel,the delay or cancellation of the Iraq War,the discovery that Rage victims are dying out,the American involvement in the decision to repopluate mainland Britain,how was mainland Britain declared free of infection?,the formation and deployment of the US lead NATO force into Britain,the decision of which British citizens would be the first to go back, the establishment of District 1,where were District 2,3 etc going to be,how the outbreak in France spreads from the helicopter to Paris.

Last edited:
The economic effects of the Rage outbreak could lead to an earlier recession in the U.S., which, in turn, could butterfly away the worst of the '08 collapse.

That would be interesting...

OTOH, the Iraq invasion is butterflied away, especially in the aftermath of the Rage outbreak.

The U.S. has more problems to worry about than Saddam.

The Iraq war would probably not occur, especially after the outbreak in Paris, assuming said outbreak is not quelled, which it probably wont be. Chances are the infection would reach Iraq at somepoint and Saddam would flee or be killed anyway.