28 Days Later - Death of a Nation

Another thing I realized, House of the Dead directed by Uwe Boll began filming in Vancouver on May 8, 2002. Since the POD is too close to the filming, production would have gone on nonetheless. The release of the film might be delayed to 2004. It may not even be hitting the big screen and may opt for a direct-to-TV/direct-to-DVD release, thus saving Boll from his reputation of being a bad film director. As for Boll, he may not reside in Germany due to the outbreak in Britain. If he chooses to stay in Vancouver, he would still be alive as well (in OTL, he has been residing in Vancouver since he has a restaurant there).

Holy my god it's actually happening!
Lets fuckin' GOOO!
Top Gun got a sequel after 36 years. A Christmas Movie will get one after 41 years. Jurassic World was released 14 years since Jurassic Park III was shown on cinemas.

Thereby it's still not too late for 28 Months Later. Let's hope they follow the comics or maybe pay you @kspence92 to follow your timeline :p

Well apparently I've read some articles that quoted Danny Boyle saying that the script for the setting for 28 Months Later will be in England, "very much about England" implies that most of it will be in England.

So its likely that most of the story will take place in England after Europe and maybe the rest of the Eurasian continent has presumably fallen to the Rage Virus, its likely that all scenes mentioning the fall of France and Europe will probably be condensed into a bunch of introductory scenes in the first 5 minutes of the film, although I could be wrong.

Last edited:
I'm doing my research on nuclear weapons as of 2002-2003 in the setting of this timeline.

As of 2002, here's the following:
Britain - 281
France - 350
Russia - 20,000
Source: Robbert S. Norris & Hans M. Kristensen (2010) Global nuclear weapons inventories, 1945–2010, Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists, 66:4, 77-83, DOI: 10.2968/066004008

Britain never used its nuclear arsenal against the Rage Virus while the French used a total of six (three donated in the north) and another to level Orleans, Dijon, and Reims. The Russians also used a handful to clear hordes of ragers in the Donestk and Lugansk when it came to "liberate" Ukraine* and the rest of Eastern Europe which eventually fell under its thumb once more.

*Note: I know 2022 happened but the story about Russia going to clear the infected in Eastern Europe was written a decade before OTL's current events.

*Note: I know 2022 happened but the story about Russia going to clear the infected in Eastern Europe was written a decade before OTL's current events.
Yeah unfortunately the author predicted that Russia would annex Crimea from Ukraine in the years after the 2002 Rage Outbreak happened.

Back in the Pre-2014 years relations between Russia and Ukraine were warm, and I'm pretty sure both sides would have militarly fought side by side during the outbreak in Europe during the story, certainly in Crima at least in the story. But only Russia had the Nukes to stop the migrants and infected from flooding the borders...

The Ukrainian army of the 1990s and 2000s was a mere shadow of what it would become by the 2020s since it was suffering from lack of reforms during the 1990s until a successful one by 2003, underfunding was a major issue for most of the pre-2014 days, the acidental shoot down of Siberia Airlines Flight 1812 in 2001 serves as an example to what state the army was in by 2002.

Another thing I realized, House of the Dead directed by Uwe Boll began filming in Vancouver on May 8, 2002. Since the POD is too close to the filming, production would have gone on nonetheless. The release of the film might be delayed to 2004. It may not even be hitting the big screen and may opt for a direct-to-TV/direct-to-DVD release, thus saving Boll from his reputation of being a bad film director. As for Boll, he may not reside in Germany due to the outbreak in Britain. If he chooses to stay in Vancouver, he would still be alive as well (in OTL, he has been residing in Vancouver since he has a restaurant there).
His first Rampage movie was pretty good.
A villain with an actual brain.
Very rare indeed.

Man, imagine the epic shitstorm if word ever gets out regarding the origins of the Rage virus! I would imagine the ones that bankrolled the creations are going to "disappear" once the world knows the truth, if they aren't dead from their own creation that is.

Last edited:
Man, imagine the epic shitstorm if word ever gets out regarding the origins of the Rage virus! I would imagine the ones that bankrolled the creations are going to "disappear" once the world knows the truth, if they aren't dead from their own creation that is.
The ones that created it died (according to the tie-in comics) and the ones that released it out of good intentions - albeit misguided and unaware - became the first patient zeros.

I realized, what would happen if Al Gore was President during the 2002 Rage Epidemic?
Honestly not sure, the butterfly effect alone will probably prevent the chain of dumb mistakes made during the events of 28 Weeks later from ever happening saving Europe and the global economy in the process, although their is still a risk of an infected survivor spreading the disease accidently to Europe or elsewhere.

His presidency is unlikely to completely advert the September 11th attacks sadly and the US would still have deployed troops into Afghanistan but the invasion of Iraq is adverted for certain.

As for his initial response to the 2002 outbreak he would have definitely send more humanitarian help to the UK and maybe deploy US forces into Britain, although the NATO quarantine would likely still be put in place.

Honestly not sure, the butterfly effect alone will probably prevent the chain of dumb mistakes made during the events of 28 Weeks later from ever happening saving Europe and the global economy in the process, although their is still a risk of an infected survivor spreading the disease accidently to Europe or elsewhere.

His presidency is unlikely to completely advert the September 11th attacks sadly and the US would still have deployed troops into Afghanistan but the invasion of Iraq is adverted for certain.

As for his initial response to the 2002 outbreak he would have definitely send more humanitarian help to the UK and maybe deploy US forces into Britain, although the NATO quarantine would likely still be put in place.
I'm sure that 9/11 still happens anyways, but I think President Gore would be more humanitarian than President Bush.

I realized, what would happen if Al Gore was President during the 2002 Rage Epidemic?

I'm sure that 9/11 still happens anyways, but I think President Gore would be more humanitarian than President Bush.
I think the outbreak will still follow the same path because I don't see Al Gore in the office suddenly stopping the research of the chimps at Cambridge University. Those animal rights activists will still be there.

True, 9/11 was bound to happen either way. Most Al Gore wins scenarios always have 9/11 happening the same way as OTL. That's because the Al Qaeda operatives have prepared for it since 1999(?) drawing inspiration from Oplan Bojinka or the Manila Air Plot in 1994-95. Because the U.S. was going to have an election in 2000, most of the focus was on the domestic front. I have read the 9/11 Commission Report, and it states that terrorism was mostly the works of the intelligence front such as the CIA. All eyes were on the upcoming election and the Florida recount that followed. The last airline hijacking in the U.S. prior to September 11, 2001 was in 1986 and the last terrorist attack was the 1995 Oklahoma City bombings, which was caused by a domestic terrorist. The Columbine Shooting was still also very fresh in the minds of most Americans.

An even more interesting AH challenge for this TL is the 2002 French presidential election, which had two rounds: the first on April 21, 2002 and the second on May 5, 2002, which was the day before the POD of the Cambridge Outbreak. In OTL, Jacques Chirac won. IITL, he was hesitant to use nukes. What if it was Jean-Marie Lepen who won the night before the outbreak? I'm sure Lepen would not have hesistated to use nukes the moment the Rage outbreak reached norther France in December 2002, which somehow butterflies the French coup attempt and maybe even the European outbreak as whole.

@Ukron can provide more insights into French politics and military tactics here.