28 Days Later - Death of a Nation

The UK is definitely still alive but just ignore the fact that the UK is also kinda in a "civil war" or something against a certain "Federation of Great Britain" after Northern Ireland at some point of time between 2003 and 2012 voted to join the Republic of Ireland.

It's unknown how internationally recognised the Federation of Britain is as opposed to the rements of the UK and monarchy.

Although the F.G.B. seems to get forgotten about a lot in this thread since the post discussing it and the unification of Ireland wasn't threadmarked.

Actually a substantial amount of story driven posts by the OP in this thread were not threadmarked, but most of them had reasons for not getting marked.
Let's ask @kspence92 what is the official canon regarding the status of NI joining ROI.

I'm surprised too Scotland did not declare independence when it could have easily had. In one chapter, Scotland chose to remain loyal to the Belfast provisional capital of the United Kingdom.

The FGB is just a loose confederation of NATO repatriation cities. They don't actually share borders with each other. Trade with these cities travels through abandoned highways, towns, and cities. The FGB seems to be only a temporary country until it could reunify with the UK.

Let's ask @kspence92 what is the official canon regarding the status of NI joining ROI.

I'm surprised too Scotland did not declare independence when it could have easily had. In one chapter, Scotland chose to remain loyal to the Belfast provisional capital of the United Kingdom.

The FGB is just a loose confederation of NATO repatriation cities. They don't actually share borders with each other. Trade with these cities travels through abandoned highways, towns, and cities. The FGB seems to be only a temporary country until it could reunify with the UK.
That seems to be a possible good explanation of what the FGB is, now would Scotish independence be really popular after 2003?

Not really sure it would be, I'll leave it to the Scottish man to answer that one, and even if it did happen the FGB would've preferred to federate Scotland and divide it, striking down on any illegal attempts at succeeding and posting propaganda that a United Britain will be stronger than a divided Britain.

Also the whole FGB being converted back to the UK doesn't look to be happening until kspence clarifies...

Also note Britain is a federal Republic as opposed to a monarchy, largely due to the Royal Family being unable to return, and a severe lack of communications with the rest of the world, plus many felt the Royals had abandoned Britain and as such wished to become a republic.

This quote leading me to believe that the Monarchy is abandoned all together with a entirely new Denocratic system in place and that there are severe lack of communications with the Outside world, implying that no one wants to go to the Isle of Britain anymore, which to be fair is understandable as Europe is mostly dead.

Its also unknown if the democratic system in place in the FGB is at a vulnerable risk of falling into the trap of a autocratic state with a populist Strongman unknowingly taking control of the nation and then slowly turn it into a repressive authoritarian state like Turkey.

I'll need to go back and have a look. It's been a while since I wrote that part. I might eventually do a rewrite/reboot of it at some point. Some of this was written when my knowledge of various political/geopolitical issues wasn't as good as it is today.

On this day 20 years ago.

May 4, 2002: A sudden outbreak of violence in Cambridge occurs. Initially mistaken to be hooligans messing around, it was later revealed that the "rioters" were infected with a new strain of virus dubbed as "Rage". The virus is spread through direct fluid contact via saliva and vomit from infected individuals. Transformation occurs in less than 30 seconds. The outbreak would soon spread beyond Cambridge, effectively enveloping the entire island of Great Britain and resulting in the worst humanitarian crisis in human history.

People around the world would attacking Animal Rights Activists left and right for this trouble or killing them outright for their troubles.

MaxGerke01

Banned
People around the world would attacking Animal Rights Activists left and right for this trouble or killing them outright for their troubles.
Since animal rights activists unwittingly released the Rage Virus but have ZERO to do with creating it and maintaining it in the 1st place then those who did that were not targeting the people truly to blame for Rage Virus. To use a real life example its like being outraged about the leak of an upcoming Supreme Court ruling but being A-OK about the ruling itself....

chankljp

Donor
Realistically, I wonder if the truth about the way in which the Rage Virus was released by the Animal Rights Activists, or that it was an artificially created virus, would be discovered by the authorities in the rest of the world outside of the UK. You know, with the chaos and destruction during the outbreak meaning that perhaps a lot of the evidence such as the CCTV tapes and the Cambridge lab's research notes would have been destroyed or lost during the chaos.

And even IF the truth gets discovered, depending on just how powerful the shadowy organization that funded the Rage Virus research was.... Would the truth ever be revealed to the public at all?

MaxGerke01

Banned
Realistically, I wonder if the truth about the way in which the Rage Virus was released by the Animal Rights Activists, or that it was an artificially created virus, would be discovered by the authorities in the rest of the world outside of the UK. You know, with the chaos and destruction during the outbreak meaning that perhaps a lot of the evidence such as the CCTV tapes and the Cambridge lab's research notes would have been destroyed or lost during the chaos.

And even IF the truth gets discovered, depending on just how powerful the shadowy organization that funded the Rage Virus research was.... Would the truth ever be revealed to the public at all?
At the very least it would likely come out that Rage was a human engineered virus. Then what we would have to worry about is the whole thing being said to be an act of an angry god or blamed on Islamist terrorists or Antifa or some group who had absolutely nothing to do with the whole thing. If whoever created it was in any way funded or supported by the British or any other government if that came to light then they would be in heap big trouble to put it mildly.
We have to hope that someone involved both survived the Outbreak and grows a conscience.

Last edited:
I'll be graduating college next week with my Bachelors in History. America wouldn't be hit ITTL, but I can't help but think about how different my childhood would probably have been. American culture would have been even more paranoid than IOTL, which would probably have meant more school security, a greater focus on disease containment, and prepper culture. It would not have been a fun world to grow up in.
One thing for sure, there won't be any opposition to owning guns for a long, long time.

Marc A

Sometime in those first 28 weeks a UK/NATO team will work to figure out where the virus came from, pin pointing the Cambridge region, and probably the exact streets where trouble started. With that info cross referencing it to known labs will see the site or set of sites identified.

A special forces team will then be inserted - probably by a chopper at night. Since Cambridge will be long full of only the dead this will disturb no one. Said team in full combat and hazmat will then enter the lab and pull apart and pack any and all computers or files they can so scientists can work on an antidote asap.

Since animal rights activists unwittingly released the Rage Virus but have ZERO to do with creating it and maintaining it in the 1st place then those who did that were not targeting the people truly to blame for Rage Virus. To use a real life example its like being outraged about the leak of an upcoming Supreme Court ruling but being A-OK about the ruling itself....
Hence why I say blaming Andy Harris is also wrong. He was 9 years old and a minor, therefore not criminally resopnsible for bringing Europe to its knees. The one to blame wold be the one creating the Rage virus and why there was no Biosafety Level 4 in that Cambridge University lab. It's equivalent to why a high school biology teacher was able to engineer a zombie virus from his home and his high school laboratory in All of Us Are Dead. Stuff like that need government funding.

To quoute the TV Tropes article:
  • Deconstructed Trope:
    • Of some popular zombie tropes. The very things that make the rage virus so deadly also stop it short of ending the world; the violent, visible insanity of the infected renders it impossible to disguise a bite victim, and the fact that infectees succumb to rapid, shrieking madness within seconds of infection means it's impossible for the virus to spread over any distance a human can't travel on foot (across oceans, say).
    • Furthermore, the zombies never think to eat each other, and they starve to death en masse within a couple weeks.
    • Especially amusing given that this is pretty much the film that started and codified the Technically Living Zombie trope. The first movie to showcase this kind of apocalypse outright proves why it's impossible!
There you have it. Despite being a fast virus that produces running maniacs, it can only spread to where a human/host can travel on foot. Though the second movie changed it with the appearance of asymptomatic carriers, which do not turn into the running maniacs but can still spread the virus through direct-fluid contact (saliva, sexual fluid, and blood).

There wouldn't be any hint of 'Scottish independence' back in 2002. That was a Labour-controlled administration, very tight with the Labour gov. in Westminster.
To think that just because there is an administration now in 2022, two decades later in a very different political environment nationally & globally, who are independence-minded but still democrats, that there would be a foolish UDI back then is absurd.

MaxGerke01

Banned
Hence why I say blaming Andy Harris is also wrong. He was 9 years old and a minor, therefore not criminally resopnsible for bringing Europe to its knees. The one to blame wold be the one creating the Rage virus and why there was no Biosafety Level 4 in that Cambridge University lab. It's equivalent to why a high school biology teacher was able to engineer a zombie virus from his home and his high school laboratory in All of Us Are Dead. Stuff like that need government funding.
Andy Harris and by extension the whole Harris family are not really responsible for the second outbreak in the UK or its spread to Europe. The actions and lack of action by the American lead NATO force are why both of those happened.

MaxGerke01

Banned
There wouldn't be any hint of 'Scottish independence' back in 2002. That was a Labour-controlled administration, very tight with the Labour gov. in Westminster.
To think that just because there is an administration now in 2022, two decades later in a very different political environment nationally & globally, who are independence-minded but still democrats, that there would be a foolish UDI back then is absurd.
No hint of Scottish independence in 2002? I know that for example the late Sean Connery supported Scottish independence for many years. So when did that movement start ? Hard to believe it was post 2002. Maybe thats when it gathered steam and became much more popular ?

Last edited:

MaxGerke01

Banned
Sometime in those first 28 weeks a UK/NATO team will work to figure out where the virus came from, pin pointing the Cambridge region, and probably the exact streets where trouble started. With that info cross referencing it to known labs will see the site or set of sites identified.

A special forces team will then be inserted - probably by a chopper at night. Since Cambridge will be long full of only the dead this will disturb no one. Said team in full combat and hazmat will then enter the lab and pull apart and pack any and all computers or files they can so scientists can work on an antidote asap.
I would totally expect this to happen UNLESS there was UK and/or US government involvement in creating Rage then they would move heaven and Earth to totally scrub and secure the whole site. The fact that Rage changed or mutated into something they were not intending would not save any government involved-nor should it.

Andy Harris and by extension the whole Harris family are not really responsible for the second outbreak in the UK or its spread to Europe. The actions and lack of action by the American lead NATO force are why both of those happened.
What Second Outbreak? :)

See long arguments about the viability and chances of that happening up thread...

Any re-settlement of the UK is going to be a long, very carefully planned affair imho. Some symbolic (and easily defended) sites like Windsor Castle would be taken sure, along with the military bases, but nothing, nothing like the 2nd Movie who entire job was to spark the Euro outbreak which was rubbish by the in universe logic.

I would totally expect this to happen UNLESS there was UK and/or US government involvement in creating Rage then they would move heaven and Earth to totally scrub and secure the whole site. The fact that Rage changed or mutated into something they were not intending would not save any government involved-nor should it.
We are never really told if it is a Govt. lab or not, but I suspect even if it was, the Govt/NATO will want all the data it had ASAP to produce an antidote.

If it is a govt. lab the origins of RAGE and its antidote will be fudged a lot.

Today is the 20th anniversary of Attack of the Clones. It was released in the middle of the London evacuation. I'm sure screening of it was cancelled for UK cinemas due to the epidemic. The next day, London fell to the Ragers. However, the city was mostly empty. Birmingham did not have that luxury, which resulted in a massacre of those who got left behind.

I can see that Attack of the Clones would be viewed as a morale booster for British refugees that settled in Europe, especially for kids who need a form distraction from the horrors they faced. The clone battle scene on Geonosis would send kids shouting in joy.

I would suggest a POD of a POD, this time when Andy Harris was being taken to Fort Detrick. What if he infects those handling him during either transport or when he's finally there in Fort Detrick, will an outbreak in US be possible?
Considering the idiot ball is now in US hands.