28 Days Later - Death of a Nation

Deleted member 2186

Eh... I always find it weird when people are like "guys, we've GOT to think of what happens to pop culture!" in these kinds of scenarios, especially apocalyptic ones like Independence Day, Dawn of the Dead/The Walking Dead, and especially 1983: Doomsday. No one is going to be thinking about this when they're barely staying alive.
Think you said what i was thinking @Resurgam .

chankljp

Donor
I forgot to add that Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones will also turn 20 next year. In OTL, it was released in the UK on May 16, 2002. For TTL, it would definitely be cancelled for British cinemas because the focus would be on the Rage Virus.
Think everything related to media would be cancelled.
Even if we discount 28 Weeks later and keeping the virus inside the UK, as a result of the Rage virus wiping out the 5th largest national economy in the world, I expect there to be lots of knock on effects for the rest of the global economy. For popular culture and entertainment, lots of films and video games that where in production might get canceled or delayed due to the companies financing them going bankrupt or go into austerity mode to just to stay afloat. In addition, as a butterfly effect, perhaps a lot of resources and only that would have otherwise been invested into computing tech would instead be put towards biotech as countries rushed to try and find a cure for ebola, which the Rage virus originated from, leading to newer generation of gaming consoles to either get delayed or not be released.

...but, while we're on the topic, unless it's British I don't see much getting canceled. British pop culture will essentially freeze and be nostalgia-based; it's going to be a long time before anyone in the reclaimed UK is thinking about making movies or writing songs. The British diaspora will eventually assimilate into the countries they fled to, and probably produce works that talk about the loss of home, holding onto the idea of "Britain," etc.

Outside of the UK, I'd imagine there might be a delay in releasing things related to viruses, apocalypse, societal collapse, etc. much like OTL after 9/11. But eventually, much like 9/11, there'll be a rush to homage, parody, and recreate the outbreak and the collapse of the UK.
Even if we discount 28 Weeks later and keeping the virus inside the UK, as a result of the Rage virus wiping out the 5th largest national economy in the world, I expect there to be lots of knock on effects for the rest of the global economy. For popular culture and entertainment, lots of films and video games that where in production might get canceled or delayed due to the companies financing them going bankrupt or go into austerity mode to just to stay afloat. In addition, as a butterfly effect, perhaps a lot of resources and only that would have otherwise been invested into computing tech would instead be put towards biotech as countries rushed to try and find a cure for ebola, which the Rage virus originated from, leading to newer generation of gaming consoles to either get delayed or not be released.
British culture post-2002 may be different. They may not even compete for the next World Cups and the Olympics. Which reminds me, where does the 2012 Olympics get awarded to? Due to the butterflies, Beijing may not even be awarded for the 2008 Olympics just as how the European outbreak butterflies away Athens hosting the 2004 Olympics.

The 5th largest economy in the world going dark in 28 days is equivalent to the modern day "Fall of Rome". The only surviving areas of Britain appart of Scotland and Northern Ireland would be their 15 overseas dependencies and the Channel Islands.

The latest OMAKE @kspence92 had the restoration team obtain what was left of British heritage and culture. Countless were lost no doubt, but a handful will remain.

El_Fodedor

Banned
I wonder just how big is Russia now, considering all the land they just grabbed. The last entry spoke about Putin taking Ukraine, Belarus and the Baltics. But in the long run I see no reason as to why Moscow wouldn't rule all the way to Romania and Poland, considering these countries populations were butchered and the land is valuable.

What about Argentina? Do you believe they grabbed the fucking isles now that Britain is no more?

What about Argentina? Do you believe they grabbed the fucking isles now that Britain is no more?
Assets that were not in the UK would be unaffected, and I could see Blair having a modified Letter of Last Resort ordering overseas assets to be protected.

Of course, Argentina might be as terrified as everyone else that this thing could spread and not want to press their luck.

Assets that were not in the UK would be unaffected, and I could see Blair having a modified Letter of Last Resort ordering overseas assets to be protected.

Of course, Argentina might be as terrified as everyone else that this thing could spread and not want to press their luck.
One entry had Blair request Bush to deploy U.S. Marines and a destroyer to guard the Falklands. Bush agreed to do so and all Argentina could do was be displeased at the current events.

So we may see U.S. forces go back to Bermuda (OTL left in 1995) and the British Virgin Islands become a "protectorate" of the U.S. Virgin Islands.

Spain may look its eyes on Gibraltar, but won't do anything stupid.
This is meaningless, the point is that what is left of the UK can't protect the isles.
It was also mentioned British troops from Afghanistan and Germany were being redeployed back to the Britain to help in the situation. Also, I don't think all British overseas forces could make it back to Britain. That would require a huge airlift of which 2002 Britain did not possess. British overseas forces are spread out across Canada (Alberta training grounds), Australia, Brunei, Diego Garcia, Kenya, and Belize. Some would indefinitely remain.

chankljp

Donor
British culture post-2002 may be different. They may not even compete for the next World Cups and the Olympics.
I think it will be the exact opposite: In that the United Kingdom, despite all having most of its population and economy wiped out, would make it a point to still send a tea to both the World Cup and the Olympics, if nothing else as a symbolic gesture to show the world that the UK is still alive as a nation. Sort of like how the Blair government made it a point to relocate to Northern Ireland, in order for it to still stay within the UK.

That would be like.... A VERY bad idea. Internationally, most countries would be highly sympathetic towards the UK after the Rage Virus outbreak. If Argentina use this opportunity to invade the Falklands, it would be rightfully seen as the equivalent of brutalizing in injuries and defenseless victim while they are down.

A better option would be for Buenos Aires to play the long game. Offering to work together with the Americans to send economic aid to the Falklands as part of the International relief effort, tying the Falklands to them economically now that their 'mother nation' is as good as gone. Overtime, influence them into entering into Argentina economic orbit.

British culture post-2002 may be different. They may not even compete for the next World Cups and the Olympics. Which reminds me, where does the 2012 Olympics get awarded to? Due to the butterflies, Beijing may not even be awarded for the 2008 Olympics just as how the European outbreak butterflies away Athens hosting the 2004 Olympics.
The announcement for Beijing was made in 2001 so that's still going to happen, but then the Chinese government might have its hands full with the Second Great Depression to make a full spectacle out of it.

The 2004 Games will likely be cancelled out of fear of infection as well as no one else would be able to pick up the slack in time.

Marc A

chankljp

Donor
It's a bunch of useless rocks with roughly 3k people on it. I think they are outnumbered by the penguins.
Well, with the fall of Great Britain, said useless rocks will suddenly become a lot more symbolically important, in that they will serve as showing the world that the United Kingdom is still around as a polity. And the US might want to make it a point to show the world that it is NOT okay to pounce on one of their allies while they are facing serious domestic issues.

El_Fodedor

Banned
Well, with the fall of Great Britain, said useless rocks will suddenly become a lot more symbolically important, in that they will serve as showing the world that the United Kingdom is still around as a polity. And the US might want to make it a point to show the world that it is NOT okay to pounce on one of their allies while they are facing serious domestic issues.
American power will be severely reduced considering most of their allies were wiped out. This will accelerate absurdly the fall of the West.

On the other hand, with Putin having an almost carte blanche in Europe, the contradictions between China and Russia will surely emerge. In a world where the US doesn't have to compromise the security of their Eastern Europeans partners to appease Russia, considering said partners don't exist anymore, this whole talk about a Russo-American alliance becomes much more feasible and probably even likely.

Last edited:
In terms of the afteraffects, some posters are talking about the "Only Britain falls to the Rage Virus" scenario and some are talking the "also affects Western Europe scenario". I think that is some of the confusion. (Could people note which scenario they are posting about?)

In terms of the afteraffects, some posters are talking about the "Only Britain falls to the Rage Virus" scenario and some are talking the "also affects Western Europe scenario". I think that is some of the confusion. (Could people note which scenario they are posting about?)

Well kspence92 Time Line had most of Europe being overrun by the Rage Virus, so obviously that's the correct scenario and canonically in the universe of the 28 Days Later France was destined to fall to the Rage Virus.

But this thread has unofficially become the main topic thread for anything related to the 28 Days Later topic, so that is where most the confusion stems from since the events of the Virus breaking out again in London and catching a helicopter ride to France without somehow being blown out of the sky was "kind-of" far-fetched and the unlikely events of it successfully defeating the French Army, who unlike the British had 6 and half Months of wargaming, mobilizations, preparations and fortifications set up were annoying to say the least.

But of course in usual fashion the French defeated themselves first before the Rage Virus had time to even overrun the nation in kspence92 TL.

Talking about the Rage Virus if it had not spread out into Europe seems popular for pop culture reasons I guess, either that or Europe is forgotten altogether.

Last edited: