28 Days Later - Death of a Nation

- Ironically is the former United Kingdom which healed after the first two rage outbreaks.
- Intact (as in never lost any territory): Spain, Portugal, Andorra, Luxembourg, Switzerland, Sweden, Finland, Norway, and Malta.

EDIT: Turkey lost its European side.
I don't think Luxembourg survived, seeing that Belgium and Germany were both completely overrun. Lichtenstein, OTOH, just might get out of it relatively unscathed... so, too, could Italy if (and of course it's a big IF) they reacted fast enough.

Marc A

I don't think Luxembourg survived, seeing that Belgium and Germany were both completely overrun. Lichtenstein, OTOH, just might get out of it relatively unscathed... so, too, could Italy if (and of course it's a big IF) they reacted fast enough.

Marc A
I need to reread the chapter of Luxemborugh and Lichtenstein survived. Italy is implied to have fallen which I find unlikely because the Italian Alps serves as a natural barrier. Might as well add if the micronation of San Marino survived as well.

Monaco was not stated but its obvious it too was overrun at some point after the fall of France.

EDIT: I forgot to add another country that survived: Cyprus.

Last edited:
I feel like Italy should have survived, given their terrain. At the very least, Sicily and Sardinia would have made it.
I was thinking the same thing that Italy should have survived if the Ragers came from the French border. While not stated, it's been implied refugee boats from France with asymtopmatic carriers or even Ragers that washed ashore brought it to Italy.

Sicily and Sardinia did survive.

I was thinking the same thing that Italy should have survived if the Ragers came from the French border. While not stated, it's been implied refugee boats from France with asymtopmatic carriers or even Ragers that washed ashore brought it to Italy.

Sicily and Sardinia did survive.
I wonder how many people could have held out in the Apennines. In World War Z, the Italians retreated to the central mountains, and survived that way.

On the 20th anniversary of the Rage Outbreak, do you guys think the United Kingdom would have reunified with the temporary country of the Federation of Great Britain in the south? 20 years later, the virus has died out. So it's just a decades-long clean-up and reconstruction. After all, Britain being an island is what spared it of the destruction of Europe when the continent fell.

What do you guys think?

On the 20th anniversary of the Rage Outbreak, do you guys think the United Kingdom would have reunified with the temporary country of the Federation of Great Britain in the south? 20 years later, the virus has died out. So it's just a decades-long clean-up and reconstruction. After all, Britain being an island is what spared it of the destruction of Europe when the continent fell.

What do you guys think?
I think that the 2 could reunite back into 1. How would that look like?

I think that the 2 could reunite back into 1. How would that look like?
The current UK as of 2015 (The TL's present day) controls Northern Ireland, Scotland, the Isle of Man, Channel Islands, the 15 overseas territories, and a small territory of England all the way to Richmond, where the provisional capital is set up. Beyond that is either dead zones, lawless lands, or independent surviving communities.

The Federation of Great Britain is a "loose" union of NATO repatriation zones that was set formed when the Americans pulled out following the Second London Outbreak. They have been trading with the UK since. It's not a hostile. After all, the people of the Federation of Great Britain still identify themselves as British.

My guess is that reunification would be done by a series of negotiations up until the Federation is ready to go back under the crown.

The current UK as of 2015 (The TL's present day) controls Northern Ireland, Scotland, the Isle of Man, Channel Islands, the 15 overseas territories, and a small territory of England all the way to Richmond, where the provisional capital is set up. Beyond that is either dead zones, lawless lands, or independent surviving communities.

The Federation of Great Britain is a "loose" union of NATO repatriation zones that was set formed when the Americans pulled out following the Second London Outbreak. They have been trading with the UK since. It's not a hostile. After all, the people of the Federation of Great Britain still identify themselves as British.

My guess is that reunification would be done by a series of negotiations up until the Federation is ready to go back under the crown.
Last month when I had COVID I spend an entire day examining the situation of Europe in this TL and fatefully made an an overcomplicated list of the nations of Europe from the map that kspence provided for us and I can tell you some things.

Unfortunately I lost major parts of the list so its still a work in progress and has yet to see the light in this thread and possibly never will.
It suppose to be a simple list until the Carpathia nation of all things started an never ending cycle of information creep that just keep getting worse and worse, Turkey made me want to quit and the USA hasn't even been started in that list.

Now Firstly Northern Ireland is not part of the UK or the Federation of Britain and instead reunited with Republic of Ireland in the TL.

Okay that is literally all I had to say.

Now I need to prevent my Pizza from burning... uh Bye.

Last edited:
Now Firstly Northern Ireland is not part of the Federation of Britain and instead reunited with Republic of Ireland in the TL.
I don't think NI reunified with Ireland. NI was the only untounched country within the United Kingdom and it was where the Blair government evacuated when Scotland fell. So in essence, NI and Scotland are still part of what remains of the United Kingdom. Scotland was first to reintegrate back with the UK.

Oh. It can work. What could the new name of the combined country be?

I don't think NI reunified with Ireland. NI was the only untounched country within the United Kingdom and it was where the Blair government evacuated when Scotland fell. So in essence, NI and Scotland are still part of what remains of the United Kingdom. Scotland was first to reintegrate back with the UK.
Yeah um you were right that it was untouched but...

europe-jpg.169332

Okay here is kspence photoshopped map again, only this time you don't need a link to open it.

This is what kspence said in 2012 after he was mostly finished with the 2003 Rage outbreak in Europe.
Note : some of these nations did not come into existance and/or formal unification until several years after the outbreak. Map is dated before the Russian "liberation" of Belarus and the former Baltic States.

1. Federation of Great Britain

Everything you see as Blue on the island of Britain is part of the Federation, because the UK doesn't exist on the map anymore since the Royals abandoned Britain, it also implies that communications with the rest of the world is difficult, or rather very lacking because of how dispersed the nation is after the destruction of most of the population centers and infrastructure of the Isle of Britain, this further implies that investments and money to the Island after the 2003 Outbreak was rather "lacking" unsurprisingly after the Dogger Bank disaster and further worsened by the collapse of the European economy, a sense of "abandonment" from the Crown could've grown since they did evacuate from the UK in the story and its implied that for reasons unknown that they couldn't return to Great Britain.

Also note Britain is a federal Republic as opposed to a monarchy, largely due to the Royal Family being unable to return, and a severe lack of communications with the rest of the world, plus many felt the Royals had abandoned Britain and as such wished to become a republic.

But so far we do not know if the UK has continued to live on in its overseas territories, hell we do not even know if the Royal Navy decided to become disloyal to the King and defect over to the Federal Republic of Great Britain or remain royal and form a Royal Navy in exile fleet in Canada!

2. United Republic of Ireland

So Somewhere around 1-7 years after the 2003 outbreak Northern Ireland appeared to have went to the ballot boxes in accordance of Section 1 of the Good Friday Agreement and voted to tether itself off as the rump state of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, effectively killing the 'mainland' UK and paving the path forward for the Federation of Great Britain.

However its unknown if the decommissioning of weapons and the normalization process of the Good Friday Agreement was successfully done after or before Northern Ireland united with the Republic.

So this is what I have established as the official state of the British Isles, heck the map that kspence gave us is canonically "dated" because it did not show Russia's expansion into the Former Soviet Republics, so who knows what the map actually looked like in ATL 2012.

ATL 2022 is too much for my brain to handle after dealing with ATL 2012 for so long and I don't want to exhaust myself again with what the future of the British Isles and Europe could've been after the Rage Outbreaks.

Last edited:
If the U.K. did dissolve, what would happen to its overseas territories? I could see the U.S. grabbing Bermuda. Most of the other possessions would probably be annexed by someone. Maybe a few could survive on their own?

If the U.K. did dissolve, what would happen to its overseas territories? I could see the U.S. grabbing Bermuda. Most of the other possessions would probably be annexed by someone. Maybe a few could survive on their own?
That is the question that has haunted me for a while.

I don't think that the U.S.A. or other nations will be grabbing them in a similar fashion to how Argentina tried to do with the Falkland's, heck I'm remember something about the U.S. sending the U.S.M.C. to the Falklands Islands to ensure that Argentina wouldn't try to take the Islands back after the British Military pulled out to help the Mainland.

So the US taking pieces of the British overseas territories will be seen as very hypocritical and unlikely, unless a democratic election is done, what we would rather see instead is the US Military establishing bases on these territories.

The UK may be dissolved in the mainland, but it doesn't mean that the Royal Family is gone or that the Dominions of the British Empire (Canada, Australia and New Zealand) are gone, it also means that the British Commonwealth isn't truly gone.

We also don't know if the British Federation wants to reincorporate the overseas territories from the UK since it declares itself as the successor of the UK, for all we could know the overseas territories would be the last remnants of the United Kingdom since some of them will want to maintain the monarchy while others do not want to be tethered to a nation that suffered its death in 2002, hence the title of this story about a 'death of a nation'.

Alternatively they could be divided by Canada, Australia and New Zealand.

Or just become independent while retaining relations with the Commonwealth.

But any invasion and annexation of these lands will be condemned by the UN or at least they should be condemned unless the circumstances have changed...