28 Days Later - Death of a Nation

El_Fodedor

Banned
Anti-vaxxers wouldn't be a thing, or at least they wouldn't be platformed on the news ITTL. I've said before that the 2000s are going to have a siege mentality. It's going to include an obsession with public health, along with the renewed craze for bunkers and guns.
Some anti-vaxxers would surely exist. But the governments wouldn't let them fuck around.

Being an anti-vaxxer in this world would be as good for your public image as saying the Nazis had a point in the world of Anglo/American-Nazi War.

MaxGerke01

Banned
Being an anti-vaxxer in this world would be as good for your public image as saying the Nazis had a point in the world of Anglo/American-Nazi War.
I think thats true but only to a certain extent because of how the Rage Virus came into existence.Once its widely known that it was basically a human creation gone wrong there will be some who challenge and reject lots of if not most of what scientists and viralogists come up with regarding vaccines and medicines. Some humans being skeptical is always going to be a thing no matter how unwarranted and unreasonable such views are sometimes.

@kspence92

If you were writing this today, what if anything would you do differently? Would you still set it in the time of the movie or take it to a post-Brexit Britain?
I'd maybe have done some things a bit differently. Rather than sticking strictly to the canon as I have here I may have veered off a bit. I'd likely have far more of Britain survive than what managed to survive in this tl. I always found it a bit implausible that Rage could have made it as far as the Highlands and even over to Shetland. If I was to do it again I'd probably have had a rump state formed in the north of Scotland led by what remained of the government .

I think I'd have handled the European outbreak differently too. Either have it as a very limited and localised outbreak in the north of France which is quickly contained, or simply don't have had it spread beyond Britain at all. I don't think the virus sweeping over the entire continent is a realistic prospect in hindsight.

Last edited:
The biggest issue the TL seemed to have faced back in the 2010s when most of the TL was written, was staying fateful to the in-universe cannon of the original film and its sequel.

kspence92 had to somehow make a plausible narrative, explaining how the island of Great Britain fell to the Rage Virus in a matter of well 28 Days...
because of the very nature of how fast the Virus was at spreading, only upwards to 3 Million British people would actually get evacuated out of Great Britain before total collapse happened on the 28th day since 54 Million poeple were confirmed to have died by the UN estimates, the British Army weren't given the time needed to mobilize properly or even reactivate the Cold War equipment.

The Rage virus was able to successfully spread and destroy most of England and Wales by Day 21 (week 3)... worsened by the efforts of NATO in refusing to provide 5.56×45mm NATO ammunition, not even bothering with providing just basic necessities such as food and toilet paper to help the stranded refugees and British Armed forces in Cornwall and Devon, instead the French and USAF choosed to attack the refugees when the regions inevitably fell, it was a avoidable PR disaster for NATO.

kspence92 also had to somehow move the infection into Scotland before the 28 day deadline, in the end he used a freak accident in Glasgow to allow for the spread of Rage into the North, ending with the ultimate collapse of Great Britain exactly on the 28th day.

Oh and then there's 28 Weeks later... which we already discussed about.

kspence92 himself just commented on what changes he would've done if he rewrote the story, with the UK becoming a rump state instead of being forced to abandon Great Britain.

Last edited:

MaxGerke01

Banned
If the Rage Virus mutates and changes in the way it effects people or spreads or both -as 28 Weeks Later indicates it did-then its possible it spreads beyond Britain.. If we are looking for realism isnt it unrealistic to have a virus that doesnt mutate ?

MaxGerke01

Banned
So recent events would indicate that its quite possible Putin would have taken advantage of the Rage outbreak to move into Ukraine ,the Baltics and possibly other states in the former Soviet dominated Eastern Europe since NATO has much bigger fish to fry.Assuming Rage is contained a new Cold War is probably part of the geo-political landscape ?

So recent events would indicate that its quite possible Putin would have taken advantage of the Rage outbreak to move into Ukraine ,the Baltics and possibly other states in the former Soviet dominated Eastern Europe since NATO has much bigger fish to fry.Assuming Rage is contained a new Cold War is probably part of the geo-political landscape ?
Without going into current politics, that's what Putin did once the Rage burned out in 2003. The Baltic, Belarus, and Ukraine are under Russia's thumb because these countries or what remains of their people and government didn't have much of a choice but to accept Russian aid.

There is no speak of a New Cold War here because 20 years later, the world is still shocked over the Rage Virus Epidemic.

Yeah he would definitely have restored the Soviet Union after the Rage Outbreak had died out after destroying most of Europe and Ukraine.

That's actually what happened in the story, it implied that the Russians took Administrative control of Ukraine, Belarusian and the Baltics.

It doesn't say much if he had pushed the Russian Army into Poland and Germany but its certain that Russia has a great deal of influence throughout the region, despite the fact that most of it is a abandoned wasteland filled with skeleton remains and Survivors.

Iberia, Scandinavia, Italy I think, parts of Greece and the Asia minor part of Turkey survived the Rage outbreak in Europe so they also have large amounts of influence throughout the wastelands.

My memory might be wrong, also didn't Switzerland survive in the Alps or something I think?

Turkey will most likely take "Administrative" control of major parts of the Balkans and totally not restore the Neo-Ottomen Empire or something.

One thing for certain is that Russia would've landed Spetsnaz and VDV squads throughout Europe to capture abandoned NATO equipment and advance Western technologies from factories or Offices throughout Europe much to the displeasure of the USA, but I don't think it would've started a Cold War.

Yeah he would definitely have restored the Soviet Union after the Rage Outbreak had died out after destroying most of Europe and Ukraine.

That's actually what happened in the story, it implied that the Russians took Administrative control of Ukraine, Belarusian and the Baltics.

It doesn't say much if he had pushed the Russian Army into Poland and Germany but its certain that Russia has a great deal of influence throughout the region, despite the fact that most of it is a abandoned wasteland filled with skeleton remains and Survivors.
Especially since American troops pulled out in Europe after casualties went high among personnel and saw it as not their problem, it was invitation for the Russians to come back.

No, I don't think Putin would restore the USSR because there's no point in that. He does not need too. Ukraine, Belarus, the Baltics, and the remnant Eastern European survivor states are already dependent on Russian aid. That alone is how to get a country under your orbit without marching troops and tanks.
Iberia, Scandinavia, Italy I think, parts of Greece and the Asia minor part of Turkey survived the Rage outbreak in Europe so they also have large amounts of influence throughout the wastelands.

My memory might be wrong, also didn't Switzerland survive in the Alps or something I think?

Turkey will most likely take "Administrative" control of major parts of the Balkans and totally not restore the Neo-Ottomen Empire or something.
All of Iberia and Scandinavia survived. Italy was mentioned have been affected but the northern regions along with Corsica and Sardinia weathered it best. Greece has relocated to the Corinth Canal and the Ionian Islands. Turkey abandoned the European side.

Switzerland as usual survived intact by blowing up the mountain passes. Perhaps the Vatican relocated here.
One thing for certain is that Russia would've landed Spetsnaz and VDV squads throughout Europe to capture abandoned NATO equipment and advance Western technologies from factories or Offices throughout Europe much to the displeasure of the USA, but I don't think it would've started a Cold War.
The Western European surviving governments would be too hard pressed too care about abandoned military equipment. What good would a rusting F-16 or a Leopard 2 do the Russians though? Plus, Russia does not need those because their tanks and MiGs/Sukhois are equivalent and top notch.

Most likely the U.S. and surviving governments would demand the Russians return some functional equipment, but with too much in their hands such as preventing a new outbreak and finding new protocols to mitigate a similar one, it would be the least of their priority.

Plus, the Rage Epidemic already produced some form of "unifying moment" for humanity to be more cooperative so a Cold War of the 2010s of OTL is unlikely.

No, I don't think Putin would restore the USSR because there's no point in that
I took the restoration of the USSR as serious as the Restoration of the Ottoman Empire...

What we would actually see happen is that the devastated States bordering Russia would be turned into Federal States of the Russian Federation and become effectively annexed and "Crimead" as their wouldn't be enough survivors left in to conduct any legitimate election and the elections would be rigged anyway.

What good would a rusting F-16 or a Leopard 2 do the Russians though? Plus, Russia does not need those because their tanks and MiGs/Sukhois are equivalent and top notch.
We do have to remember that this is 2002 Russia, the already bad financial situation from the chaos of the 1990s has been significantly worsened by the near complete collapse of the European economy.

Russia is effectively broke without the Gas money from Europe.

Most of the Russian equipment back then was of Soviet origin, the newer top notch equipment was scarcely found in the early 2000s.

The Russians would've been more interested with the more sensitive equipment on the Leopard 2 Tanks rather than the Tank itself, they would take some for field testing and the museums for sure.

The same goes with Fighter Jets and aircraft, although the Russians might prefer to keep some of the jets for training purposes, similar to what the Americans did with Soviet aircraft acquired from Eatern Europe after the Fall of the USSR.

The Russians will definitely sell most of the captured Western equipment for a much needed profit, either state sanctioned or through illegal means in the Black Market.

Also the real goal the Russians will be after for is the Industrial facilities that produces the equipment, Factories for commerical based products will be included as they can be relocated to Russia and either get sold off or put into use.

Is this gonna get any continuations?
The story is effectively finished, Other than looking through recordings from the Outbreak or through the eyes of survivors looking at the post- apocalyptic aftermath otherwise known as Omake's.

They're talks of a possible reboot that wouldn't follow the established cannon of the 28 Days franchise but that's up to the @kspence92 decision on whether he wants to do the reboot.

I took the restoration of the USSR as serious as the Restoration of the Ottoman Empire...

What we would actually see happen is that the devastated States bordering Russia would be turned into Federal States of the Russian Federation and become effectively annexed and "Crimead" as their wouldn't be enough survivors left in to conduct any legitimate election and the elections would be rigged anyway.
Won't annexing them be costly in terms of resources rather than just keeping as puppets states? I mean doing the latter would mean Moscow does not need to spend on the reconstruction fully.
We do have to remember that this is 2002 Russia, the already bad financial situation from the chaos of the 1990s has been significantly worsened by the near complete collapse of the European economy.

Russia is effectively broke without the Gas money from Europe.

Most of the Russian equipment back then was of Soviet origin, the newer top notch equipment was scarcely found in the early 2000s.

The Russians would've been more interested with the more sensitive equipment on the Leopard 2 Tanks rather than the Tank itself, they would take some for field testing and the museums for sure.

The same goes with Fighter Jets and aircraft, although the Russians might prefer to keep some of the jets for training purposes, similar to what the Americans did with Soviet aircraft acquired from Eatern Europe after the Fall of the USSR.

The Russians will definitely sell most of the captured Western equipment for a much needed profit, either state sanctioned or through illegal means in the Black Market.

Also the real goal the Russians will be after for is the Industrial facilities that produces the equipment, Factories for commerical based products will be included as they can be relocated to Russia and either get sold off or put into use.
Just curious. Is there any components that can be salvaged from these abandoned Leopard 2s, F-16s, Marder IFVs, and Patriot missile batteries? If these have been sitting abandoned for a year or so, that would mean the components would be unusable.

Russia will get a lot of former Soviet equipment in the former Warsaw Pact countries. Might as well augment those MiGs, Sukhois, T-72s, Buk, Tor, S-200s, S-300s, Dvinas, Antonovs, Hinds, and Hips to their existing fleets. Yes, I would agree corrupt elements of the Russian government may want to sell American/Western components to Iran or China.

So essentially the bear has returned once more to fill the void that was dominated by the EU and NATO.

The story is effectively finished, Other than looking through recordings from the Outbreak or through the eyes of survivors looking at the post- apocalyptic aftermath otherwise known as Omake's.

They're talks of a possible reboot that wouldn't follow the established cannon of the 28 Days franchise but that's up to the @kspence92 decision on whether he wants to do the reboot.
Oh. I hope so because this was a bit interesting.

Won't annexing them be costly in terms of resources rather than just keeping as puppets states? I mean doing the latter would mean Moscow does not need to spend on the reconstruction fully.
Indeed it will be costly to annex the Baltic States, they are likely to just reorganized them into a United Puppet state that is heavily reliant on Russia.

Lukashenko is likely to turn whats left of Belarus into a Federal Republic of the Russian Federation and finnaly achieve his dream of becoming a Colonel.

Ukraine would most certainly be annexed, thanks to the extremely fertile soils, the shipyards in Ukraine will also allow Russia to finally build Aircraft Carriers again.

Moldova will probably be annexed, but it will get neglected by Russia as Ukraine would take priority with the reconstruction efforts, Moldova was already poor prior to the outbreak so it will remain that way moving on.

Just curious. Is there any components that can be salvaged from these abandoned Leopard 2s, F-16s, Marder IFVs, and Patriot missile batteries? If these have been sitting abandoned for a year or so, that would mean the components would be unusable.
Depending on where it was abandoned should determine how salvageable it is, not everything will be left exposed to the elements. The best I could see salvaged from the Leopards and Marder is the internal electronics and Gunner and commander sights with the advanced thermal imaging and night vision capabilities.

The F-16's aren't really that valuable, the technologies of the Sidewinder and Amraam missile can be reversed engineered and tested on Russian Missiles, the Radar and ECM systems can be examined on the planes I guess.

The Eurofighter Typhoon, Rafale and Tornado jet would be far more interesting aircraft for the Russians to examine, it would not be surprising if the Russians take the aircraft in a similar manner to what the US did to a Libyan Mi-24 in Operation mount hope iii.

For the Patriot Missiles, Russia is likely to incorporate any useful tech it finds on them and add it into the development of the S-400 Missile system, which won't be in service till 2009.

Russia will get a lot of former Soviet equipment in the former Warsaw Pact countries. Might as well augment those MiGs, Sukhois, T-72s, Buk, Tor, S-200s, S-300s, Dvinas, Antonovs, Hinds, and Hips to their existing fleets. Yes, I would agree corrupt elements of the Russian government may want to sell American/Western components to Iran or China.
Yes that is certainly going to happen, can't let all that Eastern equipment fall into the wrong hands. I'll assume that 70% of the equipment will be put into long term storage as the need for all of that equipment is mostly gone with half of NATO destroyed by the Rage virus.

The Russians can also put up the Warsaw Pact equipment for "resale" to nations that want to operate Eastern equipment.

Last edited:

MaxGerke01

Banned
Oh. I hope so because this was a bit interesting.
There is a small timeline here that covers the canon events.