20th century politics of the USA with these borders?

Screenshot 2021-10-22 19.15.54.png

Current year is 1900 Anno Domini.

That's unrealistically large.
I dunno, I think a more militaristic US would be able to reach these borders. Canada would be the hardest to take, because conquering it would require beating the British Empire, but with enough resources poured into the army the US would probably be able to overrun the place.

I dunno, I think a more militaristic US would be able to reach these borders. Canada would be the hardest to take, because conquering it would require beating the British Empire, but with enough resources poured into the army the US would probably be able to overrun the place.
Canada is the most logical gain of any depicted.

in a word: unstable
in a sentence: rather unstable because now you have an even larger hispanic population wanting civil rights as well as the African Americans, rural vs urban divide would be even stronger due to greater amounts of states that fall into both categories, the new "southern" states in the Caribbean and central America will be a pain in the ass to keep calm due to being majority Hispanic and the ocean being involved, and... oh boy we actually own liberia that makes everything worse

As much as the gains in Central America would be rife with resistance, they’re at least plausible enough to be owned at some point. However, I have no clue how Iceland would have become American.

Unlike others in this thread I think those borders are totally doable by a more expansionist aggressive US. After the Mexican American war Mexico was on its knees and the US could have easily taken more than it did. Realistically Britain could not have won a war against the US on American soil in the late 19th century and the Caribbean islands were ripe for the taking.

As to whether the US could hold these territories. That is tricker but a more ruthless US government is more than capable of putting down rebellions if it is willing to carry out the necessary brutality. I think whether this state could form or fall apart has more to do with internal American politics than anything external.

In my own opinion I think it would be possible if the POD is after the Mexican American war. The annexation of Mexico has led to too many southern slave States and the US decides to annex Canada to even it out with more free Northern states.

The US as we know it would be unrecognisable. As would the world if you have a US that is fighting the British over Canada. I don't think the US would be able to take over Canada that easily. This version of the US would be like Yugoslavia in the 90's on steroids or China's "Warlord Era" OTL. Constant instability, racial and religious factions, terrorism, civil war. For Washington to maintain control you would need a strong military and authoritarian government. The US in the 19th century was all about a small military and laissez faire government.

Last edited:
There is not way how USA is going to keep Philippines. Locals are not going to accept that.

But if USA find some way beside genociding all/most of Philippines (what would rquire really diffrent USA) politics would be dominated by Catholics since there is too Northern Mexico, Cuba, Nicaragua and Hispaniola.

These borders are achievable and reasonable if Americans weren’t focused on ensuring no expansion happens for entirety of 18th century due to slavery issues. No we can’t go south, slavery will expand. No we can’t go north abolitionism will expand. And thus they went nowhere.

Obviously slavery issue is dealt with one way or another early on. Abolitionism takes root or slavery becomes popularized. Whichever happens it must happen early.

US would be more open to immigrants from Europe. The US would be desperate to settle these new lands with easily assimilated Europeans as soon as possible. Canadians would be assimilated easily due to immigration and mixing.

Latinos will either be embraced and Catholicism given large representation in US politics or more realistically they’d be expelled and discriminated against. “Papists” weren’t popular in 19th century USA.

Liberia wouldn’t be a state. But a large Liberia as shown on man would exist for a reason. That reason being deporting freed slaves. I’d guess it’s more popular solution and more territory was needed.