20th Century Khan - A Timeline!

Here are some PODs based on OTL's history of Saudi Arabia, that might be appropriate for the history of Sternbergia:

1940-45: Sterbergia is on the Allied side during World War II, giving room for an US naval base in Vladivostok .

1951: A new agreement with SABO (Sternbergia American-British Oil Company), gives Sternbergia 50% of all earnings from the oil, as SABO starts paying tax to Sterbergia instead of to the US goverment.

1956: Loan of US$10 million is given to Japan after their assets are frozen in connection with the INdonesian Straits situation. After the British, French and Americans attack on Japan in October and November, Sternbergia reduced its economical and political relationsship to the three countries.

1958: Change in the constitutional construction, where the kings absolute power was reduced, and legislative and executive powers was transferred to the prime minister. A couple of months later a cabinet system was introduced.

1960: Sternbergia participates in the construction of OPEC in Baghdad, in order to help sustain international oil prices.

1962 October: Relations with Japan are severed after Japan and Sterbergia supported opposing parties in the Indochinese revolution. Sternbergia supported the Bao Dai government. The conflict went as far as to Japan bombing Sterbergian towns.

1963: Sternbergia mobilises its army after the deteriorated relations with Japan.

1967: Sterbergia expresses support for Japan, and even sends 20,000 soldiers to help in the war in Tibet. When later that year, Japan withdraws from Indochina, Sternbergia gave extensive help to Japan.

1970: Sterbergia recognises the government of Indochina, that now is made up of the party that was supported by Japan.

1973: Sternbergia plays a leading role in a oil boycott against those Western countries that supported Israel. This resulted in oil prices four times higher than earlier.

1974: Sterbergia takes over more of the control over SABO, and revenues increases greatly.

1979: With the signing of the Camp David agreement, Sternbergia cuts off its financial aid to China.

November 20 1979: Military coup attempt threatens to overthrow the government based on religious fundamentalist ideology, sparking international attention and concern

1980: Sterbergia takes full control over SABO.

August 2 1990: Sterbergia allowed hundreds of thousands of foreign troops (mainly American) to be stationed on their own soil.

1992: Constitutional changes, where a consultative council, is established, along with a bill of rights, and the rules of succession for the king.

Thanks for all the advice but I'm kinda making Sternbergia into to be the mega-superpower rival in a Cold War against the US and the free world so its history is gonna be pretty different from Saudi Arabia or any other US supported oil regime. The only thing it has in common with Saudi Arabia maybe is the staunch religious fundamentalism in the ruling regime's ideology with the Wahabbism of SA and the Military Buddhism of Sternbergia.

Vault-Scope

Banned
Here are some PODs based on OTL's history of Saudi Arabia, that might be appropriate for the history of Sternbergia:

1940-45: Sterbergia is on the Allied side during World War II, giving room for an US naval base in Vladivostok .

1951: A new agreement with SABO (Sternbergia American-British Oil Company), gives Sternbergia 50% of all earnings from the oil, as SABO starts paying tax to Sterbergia instead of to the US goverment.

1956: Loan of US$10 million is given to Japan after their assets are frozen in connection with the INdonesian Straits situation. After the British, French and Americans attack on Japan in October and November, Sternbergia reduced its economical and political relationsship to the three countries.

1958: Change in the constitutional construction, where the kings absolute power was reduced, and legislative and executive powers was transferred to the prime minister. A couple of months later a cabinet system was introduced.

1960: Sternbergia participates in the construction of OPEC in Baghdad, in order to help sustain international oil prices.

1962 October: Relations with Japan are severed after Japan and Sterbergia supported opposing parties in the Indochinese revolution. Sternbergia supported the Bao Dai government. The conflict went as far as to Japan bombing Sterbergian towns.

1963: Sternbergia mobilises its army after the deteriorated relations with Japan.

1965: When US submarine torpedos a German under water installation in the northern sea, situation quickly escalate into WWIII.
Thermonuclear warfare between Britian/USA/Canada/France vs Germany/Italia/Spain/Romania/Bulgaria/Hungarya/Croatia/Turkey/Iran occures.
Germany uses scramjet superbombers, while allies uses rockets.
Total casualties from the war reachs 300 millions by year´s end, leaving europe and north america utterly devastated.

The USA´s 300 biggest cities are mostly levelled by the war, the country breakes down into anarchy, for decades warlors will fight each other and only in 1990 is that country unified again, by a military junta.
British survivors are almost completely evacuated to New Zealand, Australisa South africa.
Frenchs evacuate to North Africa.
Germans evacuates to the eastern territories.
Remaining european colonies faces major "native" revolutions.
Commanders of several US submarines which still has nuclear submarines, launches nuclear attacks against Japam in the following years.

Sternbergia is left the only major power within 20 years.

Last edited:
Here's a flag bearing the insignia of the OMB. It is a simplified version because the official one has to be more grotesque and detailed than this (I'm not very good at making detailed flags).
ombflagyl1.png

Vault-Scope

Banned
Nice!

The symbole of Chaos... :cool:

if you are good at drawing, it is best to draw by hand, then scan it.
Id like to help but I most likely will have schedules to keep.

very nice timeline and all very intresting, but i have one question:
what is militiary buddihism ?

I was gonna write an extensive in-world tidbit that gives an in-depth look into the Baron's ideology but since you asked this now, I'm gonna try to sum it up for a quick answer:

Military Buddhism is a religious ideology that is part of a much larger set of religious ideologies, all propagated by the Baron and his subordinate puppet leaders, that are binded together by several common characteristics:
  • Theocracy and/or Monarchy as the proper form(s) of government
  • Presence of a strong, charismatic spiritual leader
  • Antisemitism
  • Anticommunism
  • Belief in a present/coming/eternal cosmic battle between the forces of good and evil
  • Belief that automatic/hastened salvation is attainable by fighting this battle on the side of good
  • Belief in a universal, harmonizing, all encompassing life force (Dharma)
All of these ideas originated as elements of the Baron's original Military Buddhism and was simply translated or adapted for its Christian and Islamic counterparts in Ukraine and Central Asia respectively. For example, Dharma, the universal life force is propagated as the Holy Spirit in Ukraine, the idea of holy war, already present in Islam and known as jihad is propagated as essential and the final battle between good and evil is propagated in relation to Christian and Islamic eschatological events.

Dogmatic tenets specific to Military Buddhism include the following:
  • The Baron von Sternberg is a Mahalaka incarnation of the God of War
  • The Dalai Lama of Tibet and the Khan of Mongolia are living gods of equal status
  • Belief in the "Noble Agency" concept
I will try to write down more information in the upcoming in-world tidbit.

If you wanted to justify the militant Buddhism concept further, you could use arguments similar to those I used in Gurkani Alam, namely that the killing of all of the enemies of Buddhism, and of the correct form of Buddhism, including those who disagree with them, is not only acceptable, but obligatory. This is because the Wheel of Life will see those killed to their proper place in the next life, and by doing so the Buddhist is in fact moving their enemies closer to true enlightenment, so they are doing them a favour.

Somewhat scary and mad, but I think it would fit here as it does in Gurkani Alam...

If you wanted to justify the militant Buddhism concept further, you could use arguments similar to those I used in Gurkani Alam, namely that the killing of all of the enemies of Buddhism, and of the correct form of Buddhism, including those who disagree with them, is not only acceptable, but obligatory. This is because the Wheel of Life will see those killed to their proper place in the next life, and by doing so the Buddhist is in fact moving their enemies closer to true enlightenment, so they are doing them a favour.

Somewhat scary and mad, but I think it would fit here as it does in Gurkani Alam...

That concept already exists ITTL as the Baron used it IOTL. I just gave it a name, the "Noble Agency".

The O.M.B justified their random killings with what they called the "noble agency", a concept of the Baron's which he got from his unorthodox interpretations of Buddhist scripture. It states that "By slaying people, one does them a favor. If they were unable to protect themselves, it meant they were feeble and living under poor Karma. By dying in a state of innocence, they improved their position on the rungs of the cosmos.". It was this motivation that made the Baron and his followers kill with love except in the case of Jews.

Very nice timeline, I like the fleshed out radical Buddhism Sternberg has promulgated. The justification of killing enemies is very original.

Excellent timeline, I am enjoying the entire thing. Amazing job so far.:)

One request -- a map, so we can marvel at Sternberg's great empire.

Very nice timeline, I like the fleshed out radical Buddhism Sternberg has promulgated. The justification of killing enemies is very original.

Excellent timeline, I am enjoying the entire thing. Amazing job so far.:)

One request -- a map, so we can marvel at Sternberg's great empire.

Sternbergiacirca1933.jpg

Here's an impromptu map you could stare at. This isn't the most accurate map not even for this AH. I'm not a very good mapmaker (someone please help me!!) Please forgive the alternative spelling of "Finnland". The red part is Sternbergia, the lands where the Baron is in control, the yellow parts is Japan, the Brown parts are Poland and puppet states and the Light Blue parts are Finland and occupied territories.