2020 Turtledoves - Best Mediaeval Timeline POLL

The Best Mediaeval Timeline is...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, seems like a good idea so i'll be introducing my TL here. Before everything i would like to thank everyone that made my nomination possible, because i really didn't expected my TL to be nominated, best wishes for everyone in the poll and now i'll go.

Muslim World: The True Faith Timeline is based on a overquestioned but underconsidered question, what would happen if the muslims had won in Tours? They were overextended? Yes, but short-term not-major gains can have many effects on history, and this is as well true here. This work was inspired by a alternate history discussion between me and my friend (who helped me in the first chapters and now is making the TL's maps) on Discord, what eventually resulted in me entering this forum, and writing this TL.

One of these effects are a better 730s for the Umayyads, a decade that IOTL was full of major defeats everywhere, maintaning the Dar al-Islam in its full-strenght, and Caliph Hisham being greatly praised by his conquests. With that, we don't have a berber revolt, what sealed the end of western muslim expansion IOTL, also, we have a victory against the byzantines that would be important later. Eventually as result of a frankish counterattack the muslims conquer Francia with the glad help of like everyone that hated the franks (what was more people than many think), this ends up putting Germany into chaos, drawing further slav expansion west. The Abbasid Revolution still happens because of a byzantine invasion and not-so-cool treachery, this results in the umayyads escaping to muslim France and staging up a revolt that would end with coastal city-states being set up in France, what would result in butterflies reaching the Baltic and more stuff. Until the end of the abbasid revolution there's the prologue, where all the chapters are majorly narrative (sometimes being presented as an epic narrative) and i take a deeper look into military campaigns and battles, after the prologue y'll see a more spread presentation.

I will be glad if anyone here give a chance to Muslim World, it's my first work here in this site and basically the reason that i entered here in the first place, it has a special place in my heart and every time i see people feedbacking it positively i just can feel happy. Special thanks for everyone that [for some reason] is voting on Muslim World, i desire good luck for everyone here!

As others have done so, it seems like this is a good place to give a short introduction to my own little TL which you can also find in my signature. It is an honor for me to be already nominated for anything as I am only actively contributing to this wonderful website for only around half a year, and I am therefore very thankful for those who are enjoying my nominated timeline and think it deserves a place here.

Final Light: A Carolingian Timeline, as its name already implies, focuses on a very critical age for the formation of the (medieval) Europe we know.

During the late Carolingian era, feudalism was slowly but steadily gaining ground across the Frankish Empire and, with it, the personal ambitions and dreams of those men and women who shaped the continent and its surroundings.
On the cultural side, the Carolingian renovatio was starting to come to an end by the start of this timeline, if there is truly an end to a revival and reclamation to the legacy of ancient Europe. The Carolingian influence on the Photian Schism, one of many to come, between the Latin and Greek churches can't be understated either.
This soft and hard power of the Carolingian Empire of Louis the Pious and his descendants was felt even so far outside that embassies were exchanged between the Carolingians and the Abbasid Caliph, for example.
Tributaries were formed on the fringes of the empire, and alliances and rivalries were being created and destroyed around and with the Carolingians.

Yet, the empire was deeply influenced by the people who were pulling the levers and was, in many ways, very fragile. Wrong decisions meant that a city would be lost to Norse raiders, but heavy-handed and misguided approaches to govern these vast areas could be revenged in many ways, not rarely ending in death. Ambitions and dreams of those who ruled, or were ruled over, were driving many political, economic, religious, cultural and even linguistic developments of the time, and these were certainly not predetermined.

Thus, in this timeline I am exploring an overlooked age of formation of the modern world by analyzing an earlier death of Charles the Bald, arguably one of the first kings of France and a very remarkable figure of the time, in a battle against the Bretons in 851 AD. This, as you can most likely already tell, will have many implications for not only the Frankish Empire, but the entire world as we know it by the sheer might of the ripples this change in history enables. The end of West Francia, the seed of which the Kingdom of France would emerge in our timeline, an early stop to the rise of an illiterate Armenian named Basil in Constantinople, a Catholic Bulgar Empire, a multipolar England and Scandinavia, and the (admittedly short-lived) reunification of Carolingian Europe under the Lotharingian branch of the family are only the beginning of a very different medieval European and, in the end, global dynamic which will emerge during the course of this timeline.
And yes, there are plenty of maps to be seen to visualize some of the political changes of these timeline, don't worry.

I wish everyone here good luck, especially those who were already nominated before for their excellent work and research which inspired me to create my own timeline in the first place. I'm still very flabbergasted that I'm getting positive and critical feedback to my TL, and I'll continue to try my best. Criticism is always very welcome, so don't hold yourself back if you feel like or know that some things should be different.

Have a beautiful day and, in the wake of the recent events, stay healthy!

Last edited:
Suppose I should give an introduction for my timeline.

American Viking: a Timeline is about a very different North America. In OTL, Thorfinn Karlsefni and his settlers left the New Wolrd during the early 1000s, returning to Iceland.
In this world, Karlsefni and company move south to escape the angry "Skraelings" and found the city of Botnborg in OTL coastal Massachusetts. Told from a first person perspective, the Norse settlers interact with the Wampanoag tribe, spread Christianity, and introduce new technology to the Native American tribes.
In this timeline, you shall witness the life of Jarl Snorri Thorffinsson and the rise of a New World Empire.

(I know, not a lot, but I don't want to reveal too much.)

Stay safe with the whole virus thing!

Before i introduce my timeline I would like to thank the ones that nominated my timeline I really didn't expected to be nominated, and I know for a fact that Ikkermacht if he could see this would be proud.

Heirs of Heraclius a no Islam timeline as the name implies is a timeline that ask what would the consequences if Islam never existed .

Now iam aware it's been done @Tomislav Addai dunes of the desert timeline explores this question in a historical book formant that I personally love .

And like that timeline we explore the effects on religion , culture and geopolitics in afro euresia as some existing powers act differently and some new powers rise
Like the dabuyids in Persia and the great berber Empire in North Africa .

But Heirs of Heraclius this is more about a story like the name implies it's about the offspring of this emperor as with Islam not rising and his victory against the persians he is seen as the second Constantine .

And how they have to pass through the hardship of maintaining an empire but also living up to their great ancestor with many successes and many blunders .

It's a mix of when one reads a history book and a novel as some events are general while others are expanded upon .

This is to reflect history , Since in real history we don't always have extensive records about events and somethings are generalized .

This is rather complicated since I need it to find a balance of both story telling and historical realisim.

With some odd things since like I always say history is not linear
Anyway I been getting more attention to my timeline and that is quite nice as it's my first timeline here
Well to end I wish Everyone good luck for cheers

Eparkhos

Banned
Alright, describe The Last Maurician here.

The Last Maurician (hereafter described as TLM) is a narrative TL focuses around the efforts of Flavius Iustinianus Mauricianus (the titular Last Maurician, who escaped the purge of the rest of his family in 602, as Mauricius OTL actively worked against attempts to smuggle his youngest son out before the axes started to fall) to bring some semblance of order to the failed state that is East Roman Spania, and then after to the Roman territories of the Western Mediterranean, between July 609 and May 615.

Currently, Spania is involved in an undeclared civil war between Iustinianus, the Phokas-appointed exarch Caesarius, and the very ambitious Marcus Delius, out of which the latter has by-far the best position (although he is unaware that one of the Berber tribes subject to him is colluding with Iustinianus.)

Meanwhile, the Persian theater of the War of 602-628 has gone radically different, with Khosrau II sacking Shahrbaraz and exiling him to Yemen after he failed to encircle the Army of Oriens after the disasterous (for the Romans) Second Battle of Carrhae and replaced him with Shahin, who is now leading a much more aggressive drive into Anatolia. The Heraclii are currently going along as OTL; however, things are about to go south (literally) when a massive peasant revolt erupts in Upper Egypt, throwing the balance of power in the Mediterranean off the rails.

Anyway, if you want to see that and more, please read the story and vote for the thread (in whichever order you prefer). Additionally, please avoid dying of COVID-19 or any other "mean, nasty ugly-things".

Everyone seems to be doing one of these. I'm always a bit embarrassed about patting myself on the back, but I'm immensely grateful to have been nominated this year and I wanted to thank all those who've appreciated the Moonlight story - and really, all those who use this site. There are so many incredible stories being told here, and I'm glad people have read and enjoyed my work and followed me for as long as so many have.

Moonlight in a Jar spins out of a succession crisis in Umayyad Al-Andalus in 976: What happens when young Hisham II is left to become Caliph as a mere boy? In reality, the court eunuchs in Cordoba backed off on their plan to murder the unpopular seneschal, Al-Mushafi, kicking off a sequence of events that led to Almanzor taking charge, eliminating his rivals and exercising control over the young Caliph. The events of the next few decades would drive Umayyad Al-Andalus to the precipice. MiaJ turns this situation on its head: The court eunuchs do not get cold feet, Al-Mushafi is killed, and young Hisham is left to the regency of his uncle, Al-Mughira. With power in the hands of a man who once received an entire fancy jar designed around a series of subtextual messages reminding him never to seek power, butterflies fan out from there in a cascade, through Iberia, through Francia, and ultimately all the way around the world.

Almost five hundred years after the point of divergence, we're dealing with a world much unlike our own: A world where Islam has spread through western and southern Africa, where the fate of Mesoamerica lies in the hands of the Otomi, where kitties and tajines are becoming ubiquitous, and where the destinies of Iberia and the Maghreb are increasingly defined by sea and spice. As the Christian kingdoms of the world join their Muslim neighbours in the Farthest West and the rejuvenated empire of China stands at the cusp of economic revolution, the pieces are in place to build an unpredictable future - in detail, piece by piece, step by causal step.

Spinning this world out of moonlight has been a labour of love. It's drawn me to study corners of the world that were obscure to me before and given me cause to look at history through new lenses. I hope it's done the same for all those who've read along.

I've been incredibly touched to see people popping in with kind comments over the course of the story. Thank you so much for following along with me. And please, stay safe out there, and find the joys that shine through these trying times and cherish them.

Last edited:
I’d like to thank everyone who nominated my timeline, and voted for it. Your support means a lot and is why I decided to write it. That and the lack of enough Eastern Roman timelines.

My timeline: The House of Komnenos, Like a Phoenix from the Ashes: An Eastern Roman Timeline, involved the idea of a Second Komnenian Restoration by the Empire of Trebizond. The Empire of Trebizond was one of the more fascinating of the other Eastern Roman states. Plus the Komnenoi after the Macedonians and Justinians is my favorite Imperial dynasty. Plus the constantly shifting alliances and political arrangements make Game of Thrones look like harmless child’s play.

Also if you guys are fans of this timeline, I recommend checking my Napoleon II timeline called Imperator Francorum: A Napoleon II Timelime. The POD for this timeline is that it involves Napoleon dying at Leipzig and his son Napoleon II (L’Aiglon) trying to restore his father’s Empire.

Zagan

Donor
The final results of the 2020 Turtledove Awards have been posted here.

The Plaques will be awarded to the winners in a few days.

Congratulations!

Zagan

Donor
Best Mediaeval Timeline

ddu7ryd-5a521ad3-590b-4bda-913b-2e996e965e32.png

Moonlight in a Jar: An Al-Andalus Timeline; @Planet of Hats

Status
Not open for further replies.