2020 AHFA World Cup Worldbuilding Thread

Here's the repost of some of my ideas, so that people may see some examples of formats that they could use. :)
_______________________________________​
Born to a French-speaking family of poor fishermen in the southernmost Malagasy town of Androka, Jérôme Dutertre had idealized football from an early age, with his grandfather making him a sock ball that they would kick around their boat during their nightly fishing trips. The conflict within the young man grew with each passing day, however - should he inherit his family's long-standing and respected occupation or should he try to make a name for himself by pursuing a career in football?

Remembering his grandfathers final words to him before his passing from old age, Dutertre decided for the latter option. He quickly joined the ranks of Marianne GSC, a small, predominantly Romance-speaking football club named after the infamous Benjamin Hornigold's ship. Once there, he was quickly inducted into the defence because of his large and muscular build, but it was not for long.

Dutertre cites that his desire to join the Free Malagasy Navy plagued him for most of his short-lived career, as many of his uncles and grand-uncles joined its ranks and made great careers for themselves across the world's oceans. In the end, his dissipating enthusiasm for sportsmanship resulted in his ever-growing ache for the seas winning over, and he left the club.

"It was a painful decision, but one I had to make and I've never regretted since.", he is quoted as saying in a 2019 interview. In the navy, Dutertre's spirit for defence and valor quickly shone through, as he became one of the many sailors credited with diffusing the infamous 1999 Malagasy-Indian Naval Crisis, when a group of Indian-backed pirates assaulted the Malagasy patrol close to the Horn of Africa for a full month before the diplomatic channels were successfully opened and the crisis resolved.

His bravery and calm made him a national star overnight, but Dutertre remained determined that only the seas were his to enjoy, yet melancholy persisted. The sweet calling of soil became too much to bear upon his witnessing his crew members partaking in a football match atop their ship's deck. "Damn them.", he mentioned while grinning from ear to ear in a pre-AHFA 2020 Q&A session, "Just when I thought I had it all figured out, that pesky ball up and comes out of nowhere!"

In 2014, he was invited by the board of his former club to perhaps reconsider his calling and join Marianne as its manager. Out of nowhere and much to the shock of everyone, Dutertre accepted. His unique sense of leadership and determination quickly endeared him to the players, and he had done what many thought was impossible - in only four seasons, he had moved the small team most Malagasy had never even heard of up into the Free People's Premier League, an unprecedented achievement in the club's 104 year-long history. In the 2017/2018 season, Marianne had ended up in the center of the table, again surprising many experts and becoming one of the favorite clubs for the people of the world to bet on.

In 2018, Dutertre was invited to become the manager of Madagascar. Up until then, the Peoples' Football Association of Madagascar was mostly content with remaining a regional power, enjoying the closeness and playstyle of its African brethren, but Dutertre dreamed of something greater. He quickly went to work and made another miracle come to life - having his team qualify for the 2020 World Cup.

"It was an infuriating amount of work, but it was nothing the boys could not have done!" he said merrily in April 2020. Now, Madagascar stands as one of the underdogs of the tournament, with the vast majority of experts predicting its unceremonious exit from the group stage, but Dutertre and his players do not care at all. "We have already achieved everything that we have wanted, and to participate in such a grand event that celebrates diversity and freedom... Well, there is no gold in the world that could convince me not to feel like the happiest man alive."

Jérôme Dutertre (AHFA 2020 World Cup).png

Since an early age, Ignjat Sorgo had shown what kind of a man he would go on to become. As the second son of the head of the main branch of one of Ragusa's oligarchic families, the only thing Sorgo was accustomed to was splendor and never taking no for an answer. Many believe he was spoiled rotten by his family, who knew no bounds when it came to their favorite son. As a way of showing his power, young Ignjat was allowed to practice football in the most popular Ragusan club of Sloga, located in the nation's capital of Dubrovnik.

While there, Sorgo would butt heads with players that were not of noble birth, with a particular audio tape from early 2010 that has him allegedly call many of his own teammates "low-born maggots and brainless barbarians". Of course, Sorgo has vehemently denied the accusations ever since then, but some evidence of his guilt may be the fact that he left Sloga only months after the leak for a lucrative contract in Macedon, where he would join Galata, a well-known club from Vizantion, the City on Two Continents. Having grown bored of the Old World rather quickly, Sorgo would move to New Holland, signing a contract many believed was millions-heavy and a likely machination of his father Luca.

His penchant for expensive things would not endear him to anyone, and during his stay in Mauritsstad, the capital of New Holland, his art collection would begin to number hundreds upon hundreds of paintings ranging from the 13th century all the way to the present. While playing for Fortuna, Sorgo, a well-known Ragusan nationalist, stated in an infamous 2013 interview that he "would never join a filthy Venetian club in a million years", which many cite as the reason that his alleged contract with at least a couple notable Venetian clubs never went through. Some even believe that Alvise Bernardi, President of the Venetian Football Association, introduced an informal ban on any kind of Sorgo's participation in the nation's football, even including Venetian clubs that may attempt to recruit him.

Unfazed by this, Sorgo sought greener pastures in the Confederate States of America, where he would settle in Orlando and quickly make himself a favorite of both the public while chasing the ball on the pitch, as well as the old planter class whose social circles he had introduced himself to fairly quickly and got on with them splendidly.

Ignjat Sorgo remains a controversial figure in both Ragusan and world football, but none can deny his technique and skill with the ball. It remains to be seen what may become of Ragusan national football team's participation in the 2020 AHFA World Cup, as many critics point out that prohibiting low-born Ragusans from becoming members of the national team may only doom their efforts and hopes of greater success in both this tournament and in the future.

Ignjat Sorgo (AHFA 2020 World Cup).png

Anne Bonny was only one of the many famous pirates who had abandoned their strongold at Nassau, West Indies, after Governor Woodes Rogers' violent crackdown on privateers and buccaneers alike. The exiles would sail along the western coasts of Africa, plundering and razing everything they found within their pistols' reach. Once they sailed around the Cape of Good Hope, some of the pirates began to question their purpose, leaving the captains to debate internally how to settle the matter. The ones wishing to find new land to build a New Nassau won over the plunderers just barely, and Anne was part of the winning faction. Having lost her captain and lover Jack Rackham, otherwise known as Calico Jack, in one of the storms during their campaign along Africa's coast, Bonny just barely saved Rackham's ship from certain demise, thus also shattering the image of women being bad omens on ships. Calico Jack's crew quickly took a liking to Bonny thanks to her incredible feat.

In the late 1710s, the pirates would land on Madagascar and quickly work their way into the populace's hearts, which put them into conflict with the tribal chiefs of the Malagasy island. Undeterred, the pirates' complex network of alliances would only grow in the coming years, having expanded in a series of wars that led to them controlling most of the central and southern parts of the island by the 1750s.

Anne would, during these wars, work extensively on freeing the slaves and the chained peoples found on Madagascar, Africa's eastern coast and sometimes even the Indian Ocean at large. No one is certain about her motivations, but many sources do say that at least seventy slave ships were liberated by Bonny and her crew, and some sources even going as far as citing one-hundred and fifty. This course of action would only increase in fervor and frequency in the waning days of her career. As such, an interesting term had emerged to describe the people that Bonny had freed from their shackles of oppression and who decided to make Madagascar their home - Old Anney's Children. Even to this day, circa 2.7% of the Malagasy population deems itself the descendants of Old Anney's Children, an achievement that made Bonny's status legendary in Malagasy history books and national memory.

Anne Bonny (AHFA 2020 World Cup).png

I have been observing the AHFA 2020 with Interest, but I didn't think that I should participate due to my lack of sports knowledge. That being said, If you like, I have some ideas for what happened to the rump USA

I have been observing the AHFA 2020 with Interest, but I didn't think that I should participate due to my lack of sports knowledge. That being said, If you like, I have some ideas for what happened to the rump USA
Feel free to add anything to the lore if you want to.

I would assume that in this world, what is now the Mexican Empire, Gran Colombia and probably Chile and Peru were colonized by León-Castile or another country that occupies the remaining territory in the Iberian peninsula. Or some sort of dynastic shenaningans resulted in the current countries, successors of Portugal, Castile and Aragon.

The existence of Britain in exile suggests the existence of a fascist regime in Britain at one point that is presumably now not fascist. If someone else wants to come up with that state that'd be cool.

The existence of Britain in exile suggests the existence of a fascist regime in Britain at one point that is presumably now not fascist. If someone else wants to come up with that state that'd be cool.
It's worth noting that New England's head of state is "Elizabeth II", probably intended to reign in Old England too.

And as far as I know this is the map (Antarctique not shown)

map

@Uebeltank posted a new map earlier today that features some nations that have not qualified to the World Cup, such as England, the Netherlands, Sicily, Switzerland and the Isle of Man. Still no Antarctique, unfortunately. Sadly, I'm not that good at making maps, so I can't do much about that issue, but if someone could transfer @lotrian's country onto the map of the world, that would be great!

Added Antarctique, [Chile, and Paraguay]. Added one Brazilian state to the former. Feel free to retcon stuff if it'd improve the lore. I'm just filling some blanks. We can change stuff later if needed.
AHFA.png

Oh also my creation of Freedonia assumed a United States that had Presidents Washington and Jefferson. Perhaps the rest of the midatlantic between the CS and New England is the rump United States.

A Brief History of Mexico's Monarchs

Maximilian I (1864-1887)
Inaugural monarch of the Second Mexican Empire and founder of the House of Habsburg-Iturbide. Maximilian I oversaw the tumultuous formation and consolidation of Mexico's nascent monarchy, including the early Republican insurgency of northwest Mexico. He was a liberal emperor who pushed forward legislation in favor of the people: he outlawed child slavery, established an eight-hour workday, expanded public work projects such as railways and telegraph lines, and privatized Church property. All of these reforms angered Mexico's conservative elite, which had expected Maximilian to protect their interests. This generated an environment of political turmoil which dominated Maximilian I's later reign.

Carlota I (1887-1912)
The scandalous 1887 assassination of Maximilian I by an alleged anarchist (rumors of a conservative conspiracy abound) initiated a succession crisis. Liberals and the middle-class supported Maximilian I's wife, Empress consort Carlota, who had become politically prominent during her husband's rule, while the conservatives backed the late Emperor's legally designated heir, Prince Agustín de Iturbide. The result was the Mexican War of Succession (1887-1889). Carlota obtained vital support from Europe's monarchies and the Confederate States, allowing her to eventually win the war. Her long reign was characterized by unprecedented peace and prosperity: she transformed the country from an impoverished and diplomatically isolated backwater into a wealthy and very respected nation. She abolished the House of Habsburg-Iturbide in favor of the House of Chapultepec, which still governs Mexico.

Victoria I (1912-1980)
Carlota I became burdened by age as the XX Century arrived. Childless, the old Empress required an heir, lest another struggle for succession arise. Rather than selecting a member from Mexico's aristocracy, she chose her goddaughter Princess Victoria Louise of Prussia, who since 1906 had lived in Mexico under Carlota I's care. The intelligent young princess dutifully took the mantle of Empress in 1912. She largely continued her predecesor's age of Pax Mexicana, heightening the Empire's position in world affairs and overseeing an economic renaissance. She pursued a campaign of patriotism, which included the revival of Aztec culture and the vilification of Mexico's republican past. In 1930, she instigated the Central American Wars, the largest territorial acquisition in the country's history. By the end of her reign, she adopted increasingly conservative policies, which were augmented by the 1972 death of her daughter and heir, Federica.

Sofía I (1980-2019)
Victoria I passed away in 1980. Her granddaughter Sofía took the throne. Less ideologically motivated than her predecessor, Sofía adopted a policy of neutrality in political affairs while focusing on her role as Mexico's head of state. Although this was a time period of general economic instability and political agitation, the nation weathered through the storm largely (discounting a few details) unscathed. She oversaw the democratization of Mexico, assenting to the historic 1986 general elections, while positioning the nation as regional leader of Latin America at a time when the continent was overwhelmed in violence and chaos. Sofía I's policy of political neutrality slowly receded in her later years, and she commonly voiced her opinions in imperial affairs, most often supporting Mexico's growing right-wing faction.

Maximilian II (2019- )
For the first time since 1887, a male sat in the Throne of Moctezuma after Sofía I abdicated in 2019, citing health issues. A fresh face for the monarchy in times of modernity and changing politics, Maximilian II is yet to write his place in history. However, many great things are expected from the monarch. His brief tenure as Emperor of Mexico has witnessed a myriad of exciting things, most notably the country's historic role as host of the AHFA 2020 World Cup. Only time will tell what is in store for Maximilian II.

Last edited:
Added Antarctique, [Chile, and Paraguay]. Added one Brazilian state to the former. Feel free to retcon stuff if it'd improve the lore. I'm just filling some blanks. We can change stuff later if needed.
View attachment 541535

Brazil was broken pretty early on, right? I'd imagine that that means Acre would be in a different position. Bolivian? Independent? Then again, maybe Grao Para does conquer it, though somehow i find that a little doubtful. I'd imagine that the little sliver in Guyana was British and, being small and likely economically dependent, retains close relationships with it's colonial daddy (I mean if the BUF, Rhodesia, Australia, and Canada exist, I would assume England/some form of Britain colonized Guyana as well, though maybe it was Dutch, in which case, same thing, just Dutch). I feel like the rest of OTLs USSR is balkanized, and, considering the greater than OTL degree of it balkanization, maybe a Chechnya-Dagestan union of some sorts is also a country, though, maybe not. It seems likely that there would be two countries in OTLs Mozambique, though maybe not...

One must wonder, is Manchuria a part of North China? I'd expect it to be, but it might not. Maybe whoever made china could enlighten me. I also wonder whether Slovakia exists and what might be going on in southern Spain. Aragonese? Muslim? Is there a Navarre? What's left between Greece and Venice looks suspiciously like the Independent State of Croatia. That area could feasibly be one country, at least for a time, but it would be messy if ethnoreligious tensions are anywhere near OTL levels.

If there was a Fascist Britain/England, if they were around when India was decolonized, I'd picture a messier than OTL India.

These are all just my thoughts about what would make sense based on what I know of the world. Feel free to disregard. It's pretty hard to reconcile so many different TLs, so it is certain to come off a little rambly and nonsensical.

If you need someone else to help fill in the map, I might be able to help.

Oh also my creation of Freedonia assumed a United States that had Presidents Washington and Jefferson. Perhaps the rest of the midatlantic between the CS and New England is the rump United States.

I think that that area being a rump USA makes a lot of sense.

I think that that area being a rump USA makes a lot of sense.

Or perhaps it could be a successor state to the US, except it is a totalitarian pariah state that is only able to protect itself from its beefier neighbors (Canada, CSA, New England) through fear of nuclear retaliation?

For the western US, I imagine you might have an independent California as a Canadian ally. And then perhaps in the centre you either have various puppet states or maybe greater Kansas or Utah.

Here's a rough look at my idea for America: expect some more maps, flags, etc. To go along with it
I was thinking roughly the following:
-1780: the American revolution ends, but the New England colonies remain loyal to the crown.
Despite the loss of New England, American history progresses basically the same until 1858
-1858: issues over slavery, industrialization, etc. lead to the secession of the CSA from the United states, causing the civil war
1860- Abe Lincoln is elected president
1861- the CSA is recognized by the British
1864- after a stalemate is reached, confidence in Lincoln is lost, and he loses the the election. The new president signs an armistice with the CSA, pending a treaty.
1865- angered at the Union's decision to surrender, a cabal of generals march on Washington, overthrowing the president, and proclaiming the American Empire (I'm thinking of having Sherman as the first emperor)
1866- the second phase of the civil war begins, as total war is practiced on the CSA, and as California, the Indian territory, and the great lakes states secede from the Empire.
1870- after several bloody years of fighting, the British intervene, and force everyone to the table at the treaty of Ottowa:
-The American Empire is recognized as the legitimate government of what's left of the United States
- the CSA, Sequoyah, the Pacific States of America, and the GLU are recognized as independent
-Canada annexes several territories from the Northern US, which it had occupied during the war
The Empire now only consists of the states of New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, and Appalachia
The empire is radically Republican and progressive, declaring equal rights for women and minorities as early as 1883. On the other hand, it is dominated by an Oligarchy of military elites and robber barons.
1890- the United States of Freedonia are granted independence, but remains an Imperial ally to the present day.
1899- Theodore Roosevelt leads a military coup, establishing himself as Augustus. He makes a large number of populist reforms, creates a national parks system, and allies with the French Empire.
1930- Teddy dies, and is replaced by his distant cousin, Franklin roosevelt. He makes even more popular and progressive reforms, which eventually leads to his assassination. Before that, though, he developed a nuclear weapons program.
1940-1970: America enters a period of paranoia and isolationism, and is considered by all other than Freedonia and France to be a rogue state.
1970s-present: the empire begins to democratize, albeit slowly, and opens up to the world again. Today, America is a flawed democracy, but it is reconciled with most of its neighbors (never the Confederates though)

Last edited:
Here's a rough look at my idea for America: expect some more maps, flags, etc. To go along with it
I was thinking roughly the following:
-1780: the American revolution ends, but the New England colonies remain loyal to the crown.
Despite the loss of New England, American history progresses basically the same until 1858
-1858: issues over slavery, industrialization, etc. lead to the secession of the CSA from the United states, causing the civil war
1860- Abe Lincoln is elected president
1861- the CSA is recognized by the British
1864- after a stalemate is reached, confidence in Lincoln is lost, and he loses the the election. The new president signs an armistice with the CSA, pending a treaty.
1865- angered at the Union's decision to surrender, a cabal of generals march on Washington, overthrowing the president, and proclaiming the American Empire (I'm thinking of having Sherman as the first emperor)
1866- the second phase of the civil war begins, as total war is practiced on the CSA, and as California, the Indian territory, and the great lakes states secede from the Empire.
1870- after several bloody years of fighting, the British intervene, and force everyone to the table at the treaty of Ottowa:
-The American Empire is recognized as the legitimate government of what's left of the United States
- the CSA, Sequoyah, the Pacific States of America, and the GLU are recognized as independent
-Canada annexes several territories from the Northern US, which it had occupied during the war
The Empire now only consists of the states of New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, and Appalachia
The empire is radically Republican and progressive, declaring equal rights for women and minorities as early as 1883. On the other hand, it is dominated by an Oligarchy of military elites and robber barons.
1890- the United States of Freedonia are granted independence, but remains an Imperial ally to the present day.
1899- Theodore Roosevelt leads a military coup, establishing himself as Augustus. He makes a large number of populist reforms, creates a national parks system, and allies with the French Empire.
1930- Teddy dies, and is replaced by his distant cousin, Franklin roosevelt. He makes even more popular and progressive reforms, which eventually leads to his assassination. Before that, though, he developed a nuclear weapons program.
1940-1970: America enters a period of paranoia and isolationism, and is considered by all other than Freedonia and France to be a rogue state.
1970s-present: the empire begins to democratize, albeit slowly, and opens up to the world again. Today, America is a flawed democracy, but it is reconciled with most of its neighbors (never the Confederates though)
I like that. Though maybe change the name of the Empire to the Caesarate of America or something?