2018 Presidential Election

NBS CAMPAIGN 2022 HEADER.png

Jennifer Vinick endorses Andrew Long

Tuesday, July 26th, 2022

Congresswoman Jennifer Vinick (R-CA), daughter of the late former Secretary of State Arnold Vinick, announced her endorsement of Texas billionaire Andrew Long today, ahead of Long's national rally on Saturday where he will announce his running mate.

"I have spoken several times to [Long] and believe that he is the candidate best able to carry forward the Republican agenda," Vinick said in a statement. "He has shown that he has the vision and ability to lead, while recognizing that leadership requires pragmatism and tact as well as conviction."

Vinick, a freshman congresswoman, is the only serving Republican member of Congress to have endorsed Long, but several who have not endorsed GOP nominee Alan Duke are suspected to be sympathetic to Long's candidacy.

Duke said that he was "saddened" by Vinick's endorsement, saying she was "nowhere near the politician her father was."

"I served with Arnold Vinick for 15 years, and while he may have been a RINO [Republican In Name Only] and I certainly didn't want him to be our nominee [in 2006], I never doubted his loyalty and dedication to our Grand Old Party." Duke said. "Sadly, it appears that those traits of his skipped a generation."

Vinick declined to respond to Duke's attacks. After news of the endorsement broke, the Long campaign announced that she will be a speaker at Long's Saturday national rally.

NBS CAMPAIGN 2022 HEADER.png

"Conviction": Former VP Eisenhower appears in Long ad

Thursday, July 28th, 2022

An ad by independent presidential candidate Andrew Long's campaign featuring former vice president Lewis D. Eisenhower (R) aired today, marking the first time since his defeat in the 1998 election that Eisenhower has appeared in a nationally-aired political ad.

The ad, titled "Conviction", has Long outlining what his campaign calls his "combination of conservative principles and pragmatic leadership skills developed in the private sector" before Long tells the viewers "don't just take my word for it", and the advertisement shifts to Eisenhower.

"I was Secretary of State under Ronald Reagan and Vice President under Owen Lassiter," Eisenhower says. "So I know firsthand what wise and strong conservative leadership is like. I believe that Andrew Long can bring that same kind of leadership to the White House."

Eisenhower, the Republican nominee for president in 1998, proved to be a major endorsement for Long, becoming the first former major party nominee in decades to publicly support another party's candidate. The 78-year old, who is also the oldest living vice president, has been a Republican elder statesman since leaving the political arena after his defeat. His office established that Eisenhower will speak briefly at Andrew Long's national convention rally on Saturday.

EE8yCjrl.jpeg

Former Vice President Eisenhower (photo credit: Peter Bergman)

Could Andrew Long become a vessel for disaffected Republican's? Thus consigning Duke to a minor third place position, much like William Howard Taft in 1912, re: Theodore Roosevelt vs. Woodrow Wilson. Just saying. Eisenhower could give the benediction to those Republican's who are considering Long! Now we could see that exodus. So now it might be Duke who facing the added humiliation of not just losing, but being a mere rump candidate.

On Wednesday, Duke slipped away from the press using a dummy motorcade and was smuggled into Little Rock, Arkansas. It had been agreed that it would be a "long interview", but Duke just walked in, shock Pendleton's hand and said " General, you fancy being my Vice-President" at which Pendleton replied "yes, sir I am ready to serve", and that was that. Moore was furious with Duke, he asked to speak to him alone in the bathroom of the hotel suite, "what the hell, you just offered it to him, like that", Duke replying "yes, otherwise we will never get anyone". Then Rohr started bagging on the bathroom door "let me in". A staffer who saw the whole incident said "you had the Republican nominee for President, locked in the bathroom with a former governor, and his chief advisor, trying to get in" it was "farcical".
this feels like Veep and i am here for it
Does TTL have a Michael Bloomberg type or is Andrew Long it?
I feel like Long is a mix between Bloomberg (wealthy, well-connected billionaire), Perot (Texan) and Romney (conservative).

this feels like Veep and i am here for it
I haven't watched every episode of Veep, but did see some of the first season and some of the later election episodes, I didn't want to write it as "comedy" but just give it a bit of the farcical level. (Having done a fair bit of research on real-life running-mate searches, I took a lot of inspiration from McGovern in 1972, Obama & McCain in 2008, Romney in 2012 & Trump in 2016 as well).
I feel like Long is a mix between Bloomberg (wealthy, well-connected billionaire), Perot (Texan) and Romney (conservative).
This is very fair, and about right.

Last edited:
Is Lewis Eisenhower any relation to Dwight Eisenhower?
Yes, described as a "distant nephew".... here is the bio from the first thread back in 2010. (written by Jay Cruger)

Lewis David Eisenhower

Lewis David Eisenhower
(Born March 1, 1944)was born in Columbus,Ohio to Marie and Daniel David Eisenhower. He is a distant nephew of former President Dwight David Eisenhower. Eisenhower spent most of his youth in Ohio, and he graduated from Belmont High in Dayton, Ohio, in 1960. He then matriculated into Ohio State University, where he received his B.A. in Political Science in 1964.

Lewis Eisenhower's public service began in July 1970 when he became translator and speechwriter for the Spanish delegation in New York City at the U.N. . Later that year, he became an assistant to the U.S. Ambassador to Greece.

In 1972, he was elected to the Ohio State Senate, and took various trips to different countries in the eastern world. In 1974, he decided to run for Mayor of Columbus, losing to James Harper, a Democrat from his district. In 1975, he was appointed to serve out the term of his brother Roger, who had died of complications from pnuemonia. He won the special election later that year for the House election unopposed. He served on the House Foreign Relations Committee, and was sent on various missions to the leaders of Japan, China and Russia. In 1980, he re won his district in an overwhelming victory, of 72% of the vote.

In 1982, he was tapped to replace Alexander Haig as Secretary of State, under President Reagan, he effectively lost that job in 1987, with the election of Democrat D. Wire Newman. He then returned to see that, in his words, his home district was in "government disarray", and in 1988, ran for his House Seat once again, won, in the hopes of becoming Speaker of the House some day.

1n 1990 Eisenhower decided to perform on a much higher stage in announcing his candidacy for Presidency of the United States. Eisenhower, was victorious in the lead-off Iowa Caucus, but gradually lost momentum, to popular conservative Owen Lassiter. He was vetted to be Vice President at the 1990 Republican National Convention, amidst rumors that Lassiter would chose Joseph Furman as his running mate. The Lassiter-Eisenhower ticket, won a landslide victory over D. Wire Newman and Roland Pierce.

Eisenhower was considered effective bu slightly too middle-roads for the Lassiter administration. He made matters difficult by referring to the Iraqi Leader Saddam Hussein as Adolf Hitler. He made a terrible blunder, in 1992 when he spilled wine on the shirt of the Chinese Premier, and later had to apologize for it publicly. Most of the Republican Leadership considered choosing another running mate for Lassiter in 1994. However, Eisenhower proved himself by addressing newly reformed Russia, with it power struggle, and its impending Chechnya conflict. Eisenhower was the first Vice President to visit Russia in the post-Soviet era, earning him the fron page. In 1994 Eisenhower was embarassed at the public debate, with Barry Goodwin, by calling himself, "a type of Jack Kennedy figure", to which Barry Goodwin shot back "Mr. Vice President, you are no Jack Kennedy". Still Lassiter and Eisenhower were reelected.

In 1998, Eisenhower faced a contest for President of the United States, once again. Georgia Governor Caleb Burgess, contested the nomination of Eisenhower, and Burgess surprisingly beat him in the Iowa Caucus, and other Caucuses but dropped out for poor showing on Super Tuesday. After clinching the nomination, Eisenhower chose Alabama Senator Robert Bennett, to be his running mate. From there Eisenhower assumed he would be running against John Hoynes, a seemingly unreal candidiate, and the image he wanted to run an easy campaign against. His numbers were just as good when New Hampshire Governor Josiah Bartlet won the Democratic Nomination. Until the third and final debate with Bartlet, he had a decent lead in the polls. Despite winning some big states on election night Jed Bartlet defeated him 303-235 Electoral Votes, at a 48%- 45% margin, 6% went to Independent Jim Buckner.

After this defeat, he was thought of as a possible for the 2002 Election, he decided against it and instead endorsed Jim Simon for president, and then endorsed Robert Ritchie for President, when Simon dropped out.

Eisenhower refused to comment on President Bartlet's disclosure of Multiple Sclerosis, neither in public nor in his book, The American Way. He did feel however, that "Bartlet hurt alot of people that way". Eisenhower retired, in 2008 and moved to New York to retire upstate, he did however, in 2009 endorse Jesse Crase for Mayor of New York City.

He lives with his wife Lana, and has four kids Jonathan, Lewis, Mark and Renay.

I know Eisenhower originates from Leo’s line in “The Wedding” that the polls in look as bad as when we were running against Eisenhower. Just curious, has there ever been confirmation as to whether this line referenced the 1998 Republican nominee, or if it was a throwaway about Democrats running in the 1950s against Ike?

One way or another, great material came out of it. :)

I know Eisenhower originates from Leo’s line in “The Wedding” that the polls in look as bad as when we were running against Eisenhower. Just curious, has there ever been confirmation as to whether this line referenced the 1998 Republican nominee, or if it was a throwaway about Democrats running in the 1950s against Ike?

To me the view that I took when I watched the episode, and when was first confirming the back story of the series, that Leo was taking about Bartlet's opponent in 1998. It made no sense to be talking about an election fifty years before, and an election that that the Democratic Stevenson lost as well.

One of the biggest barriers to making West Wing Alternate history or figuring out precisely where the hand off between OTL and ATL is because the writers of the West Wing themselves were ultimately not concerned with it, and Sorkin himself disliking the AH component of it. There's some interviews of him in Vanity Fair stating how he came to resent how West Wing wasn't in reality, and how he much preferred the Newsroom in that respect. They were in the real world.

There did seem to be some unwritten rule in the West Wing writer's room not to mention anything presidential past the late 1970s until Bartlet's election. Since no President after Nixon is mentioned (and I think the last OTL election mentioned was 72), and they went out of their way not to namedrop in flashbacks (like who Leo was Secretary of Labor TO, or Bartlet's predecessor who got him stuck in the Philippines). In the Stormy Present, Newman was meant to be Carter, and Reagan was meant to be Lassiter, but ultimately I think Mark took the better choice in minimizing the number of ATL presidents floating about.

Last edited:
To me the view that I took when I watched the episode, and when was first confirming the back story of the series, that Leo was taking about Bartlet's opponent in 1998. It made no sense to be talking about an election fifty years before, and an election that that the Democratic Stevenson lost as well.
So I just watched that episode recently and Leo's exactly lines to Josh regarding Illinois polling and money were, "I wouldn't have gotten the money. The polls looks there looked just as bad when we were running against Eisenhower." To me those two sentences seem to indicate that Leo was referring to the 98 campaign. It's possible Leo could've been referring to the 50s campaigns, but was there any state polling in 52 or 56? I don't think so and it wouldn't matter anyway because everyone knew Ike was gonna win big even if Illinois was Stevenson's home state.

I seriously doubt the writers invented an Eisenhower and threw that line in as Bartlet's 1998 opponent. It is highly unlikely they would use the name of an existing president. The writers thought process was probably "who was a Republican that was very popular and far back enough in history that we can reference?" That would be Eisenhower. They probably didn't even know who Ike's opponent was or that Adlai was from Illinois. Ike winning it was by no means guaranteed considering the power of the Chicago Democratic machine. Also it would make no sense for Bartlet to be running a tight race in Illinois at a time when it was very Democratic. It was only competitive in 2006 because of Vinick. All that being said, I think the creation of Lewis Eisenhower is fine and doesn't contradict the line or any other in the show so no complaints here. But I don't think that's what the line was referring to.

As it turns out the Leo remark in what ever context it was regarding Eisenhower, made things easy for the writer's and developing the Lewis Eisenhower character as Lassiter's Vice President was definitely a boon for Lassiter in both 1990 and 1994. The name Eisenhower is Republican royalty to many, so having him endorse Long, is not looking good for Duke. If you have Vinick and then Eisenhower going rogue, then who's next up to give Duke the shaft? This makes Seaborn's life that so much easier! Duke is gonna be like Wile E Coyote trying to push that boulder up the hill!

Attachments

• hqdefault (1).jpg
    hqdefault (1).jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 67
As it turns out the Leo remark in what ever context it was regarding Eisenhower, made things easy for the writer's and developing the Lewis Eisenhower character as Lassiter's Vice President was definitely a boon for Lassiter in both 1990 and 1994. The name Eisenhower is Republican royalty to many, so having him endorse Long, is not looking good for Duke. If you have Vinick and then Eisenhower going rogue, then who's next up to give Duke the shaft? This makes Seaborn's life that so much easier! Duke is gonna be like Wile E Coyote trying to push that boulder up the hill!
I have been a fan and following this feed for a while. i have never felt compelled to weigh on something until now. i know for a fact the “Eisenhower” Leo referenced was Dwight David Eisenhower II the grandson of President Dwight Eisenhower and the son in law of President Richard Nixon. Camp David is named for him. Trust me when i tell you this was the Eisenhower, Lawrence O’Donnell and John Wells were referencing in the wedding episode. they thought it would be fun and little easter egg for history buffs. in real life he was a professor.

I have been a fan and following this feed for a while. i have never felt compelled to weigh on something until now. i know for a fact the “Eisenhower” Leo referenced was Dwight David Eisenhower II the grandson of President Dwight Eisenhower and the son in law of President Richard Nixon. Camp David is named for him. Trust me when i tell you this was the Eisenhower, Lawrence O’Donnell and John Wells were referencing in the wedding episode. they thought it would be fun and little easter egg for history buffs. in real life he was a professor.
And how do you know this?

1659189643452.png

Atlantis Cable News

BREAKING NEWS

777 crashes in northeast Oregon.

Pendleton, Oregon-
Just before 9:30 this morning, an American Airlines Boeing 777, AA859 enroute to Los Angeles from Calgary, crashed just south of the McKay Reservoir. Local First Responders are already on the scene, conducting search & rescue operations, as well as combating the fires that have spread as a result of ignited jet fuel. Governor Walter Collins, who is a resident of the nearby town of Pendleton, has announced that he has called up 2 units of the National Guard to help deal with this emergency. The Governor further announced that he would head to Pendleton to oversee the efforts of the First Responders.