2018 Presidential Election

NBS CAMPAIGN 2022 HEADER.png

Pendleton suggests using nuclear weapons to level mountains in response to Qumar ambush

Sunday, July 24th, 2022

Republican vice presidential nominee Lloyd Pendleton suggested that the United States should use its nuclear arsenal to "reshape the terrain" of the battlefield. In response to a question on the recent ambush of a US-Qumari convoy that left three American soldiers dead and seven more wounded, the former three-star general criticized the Seaborn administration for its "focus on nation-building" in Qumar, then offered his opinion on how to prevent future ambushes.

"We have enough firepower that we can reshape the terrain if we please," Pendleton told a reporter after a campaign event in Ohio. "Whether that be with conventional explosives or nuclear bombs, we can prevent sending men and women into non-urban environments where they are in a prime position to be outflanked and ambushed."

Swiftly after Pendleton's remarks were reported, former top officials at the Departments of Defense and Energy (the latter of which oversees the nation's nuclear stockpile) and nuclear scientists lambasted Pendleton's proposal as "unworkable" and "insane."

"This is Operation Plowshare nonsense," says Dr. Jennifer Osterman, a nuclear physicist who retired from the Department of Energy in 2020, referring to the Cold War-era program that attempted to use nuclear explosions for construction purposes. "To physically damage a mountain pass, or a series of them, would take so many nuclear bombs that the fallout from the explosions would be frankly, unimaginably dangerous."

Former senator Alan Duke, Pendleton's running mate, when asked about Pendleton's verbatim remarks, said that he "would defer to General Pendleton's strategic and military experience" in regards to military geo-engineering.

"Now, when it comes to geo-engineering for oil, I can probably teach General Pendleton a thing or two." Duke joked, referencing his time as a board member of Klaxon Oil in his home state of Oklahoma.
The fact that Duke regards the whole matter as a joking matter, and indicated that he would "defer" to Pendleton, and not making any effort to qualify or explain Pendleton's remarks is very telling, suggests that this Pendleton gaffe is the beginning of the crisis of Duke's campaign. There will be a media firestorm, subjecting Duke's campaign to a ordeal of a "thousand cuts". How do you walk back this Pendleton outburst?

Reminds me of when George Wallace's running mate Curtis LeMay said a similar thing about using nuclear weapons in Vietnam during the 1968 election

Last edited:
NBS CAMPAIGN 2022 HEADER.png

Duke disclaims support for "nuclear engineering", says he misheard Pendleton quote

Sunday, July 24th, 2022

Less than eight hours after his running mate floated the idea of using nuclear weapons to "reshape the terrain" of mountainous regions the United States military is engaged in, Republican presidential nominee Alan Duke has walked back his support for the proposal, claiming he misheard a reporter's quotation of Pendleton.

"I heard 'cluster bombs', not 'nuclear bombs'," Duke said in an impromptu press conference outside campaign headquarters in Tulsa.

"With respect to General Pendleton's proposal, I value his input and experience on military matters, but given the evidence presented to me by my defense and national security teams, I can't endorse 'nuclear engineering'."

The former Oklahoma senator blamed the miscommunication for his apparent endorsement and joking attitude. He repeated his support for Pendleton "one hundred percent", saying that Pendleton was not used to the "media vultures."

"General Pendleton is a soldier, not a politician. He's not used to the mediaespecially the mainstream media—vultures who pick apart everything you say, take everything out of context or make wild assertions because it doesn't fit their liberal worldview."

Pendleton's bizarre musing has led to widespread mockery in both the political sphere and across social media. Mayor Bill Forrestal of Anchorage, the Democratic nominee for Alaska's US Senate seat, posted a video where he promises, if elected, to introduce legislation protecting national parks and Denali—the highest peak in both Alaska and the United States—from "being used as a nuclear testing range."

"Because apparently we need to do that if Alan Duke is elected." Forrestal says at the video's end.

The MLB's Colorado Rockies, playing an away game against the Milwaukee Brewers, re-tweeted a mock-up of their logo with the purple Rocky Mountains removed and replaced with a smaller series of hills with a greenish glow, captioned "Proposed logo for 2023???".

Oh this is going to be fun...Seaborn might not have to do any campaigning by Fall.
I have a feeling that Duke nor Pendleton won't be hearing the end of this saga and more are coming! I guess Duke's hearing isn't good as well! He will need to feign deafness if Pendleton is anywhere near a mic! Also blaming the media for Pendleton's idiotic remarks or using deafness as an excuse, speaks volumes at how "way off the beam" Duke actually is! Now we can add liar to his many other talents! Actually Duke is a typical politician after all!

1658754208587.png

Monday July 25th, 2022

"A total disorganized mess" : How Duke picked Pendleton as his running mate
AN NBS Election Special Report.
PART TWO:

The Duke campaign had always planned to announce the running-mate on Saturday July 2nd, nine days prior to the opening of the convention in Denver on Monday July 18th. That date had been locked in since Duke had won the nomination in April, and as the choices had narrowed down to the final three short-listed candidates , two weeks out from the deadline date, everything seemed on target.

Despite the problems already outlined in part one, in reaching the final three candidates, the three man selection team of Moore, Rohr and Patterson seemed happy, with the final three candidates of Senators Rob Buchanan of Virginia, and Sorah Wheeler (Alaska) and Governor Art Schieder of Ohio. The nominee was clearly going to be one of these three.

On Saturday June 18th, Sorah Wheeler was the first candidate to be personally interviewed by Duke along with Moore, Rohr and Patterson. Wheeler had been in DC on Senate business, before she was driven to Baltimore and smuggled into a Hotel in Baltimore for the meeting (The rooms having been booked by a Duke donor). Duke liked Wheeler for their brief time serving together in the Senate, he asked her "can I win" she replied "yes, but we would need to make changes to the campaign" and went into a ten minute speech now she thought Duke could win with her on the ticket. Rohr thought afterwards that based on that interview, it would be Wheeler, but Patterson had concerns "we really need someone who has been a Governor", Moore said "she could do the job, she will be a great attack dog" but a ticket from "Oklahoma and Alaska" didn't "make much sense", but she was clearly in the running. Just over twenty four hours later, Senator Rob Buchanan of Virginia was in the same room as his Senate colleague. Buchanan according two sources was "tense", again he was asked by Duke did he think he could win "yes, but the polls had to be turned around fast, in the two weeks either side of the convention, or it was over". Buchanan said he agreed with Duke on "most things" but felt he was better "focusing on things that concerned voters, rather than cultural war issues" but said "the re-writing of history especially in Virginia, was having an effect". Moore felt Buchanan wanted to either for governor again in 2025, or the presidency himself in 2026 "he was playing a canny game by keeping himself in the game" Moore is understood to have said afterwards.

Once again just a day later, it was the turn of the third candidate Ohio Governor Art Scheider. On the Sunday evening Duke slipped out of Baltimore on a private plane and flew to Youngstown, Ohio to meet the general turned Governor. Scheider was well prepared, he said he was "ready to serve" and "wanted the job" but said he had "very serious concerns" over Duke's stated policy of withdrawing from NATO "Sir, that would be a mistake, we still need NATO, Russia is still a threat" adding that if the US withdrew it was an "open invite for Russia to invade the Baltic Republics" as well as non-NATO countries such as Finland, Sweden and Ukraine. Scheider also added that he would need some preconditions meeting, including letting Scheider assemble the administration's national defense team. Duke was surprised, but said "I like his style". On the Tuesday, Scheider got a call asking him to return to the Hotel for a second meeting, Duke said he was "ready to look at the NATO policy" and would ask Scheider who should be the Secretary of Defense, he suggested Pendleton, which turned out to be a mistake. After almost four hours, Schieder left. In a following two hour meeting, Moore, Rohr, Patterson and Duke argued it out. Duke said he was ready to offer it to him, Moore wasn't so sure, whilst Rohr sat on the fence. Duke said finally "get him back, I am going to offer him the job". An hour later Schieder returned and was verbally offered the job by Duke, he said "provisionally yes" but he wanted to "talk things through with his wife and kids". Twenty four hours was given. But within six hours Scheider called back saying he needed "some clarifications". The following day, Duke called him and offered him the job once again, but Schieder was blunt "I have changed my mind, I don't think I can do it" and ended the call.

Duke was furious, "what just happened". Moore and Rohr didn't know what to say whilst Patterson said "well we still need a running-mate" offer it to Buchanan, now, and within minutes, Duke was put on the phone with him (without the Virginia Senator knowing of what had taken place with Scheider), was offered the job. Now it was Buchanan's turn to say no "I didn't think I would get offered it, but I am going to have to turn it down". In just two hours Duke had been turned down twice. Now what was the question. Ten days from the announcement day, they still had no running-mate.

Rohr suggested Wheeler, but then Patterson broke into the meeting to say that the Alaska Senator had just e-mailed him to say she was "withdrawing to focus on winning re-election to the Senate". All three short-listed candidates where now out of the running. Moore and Rohr again brought up Governor McNamara of North Carolina, Duke said "no, it will not be him, I don't like him, he is a weak man", they floated names from those who had not made to the original ten, what about Governors Middleton or former Governor Foley of Missouri. Duke agreed, get them to fill in the paperwork, fast, and interview them. Middleton and Foley did interviews over Teams on Thursday and Friday without Duke. Both did well, but Patterson wasn't sure about either of them. Then Duke on Friday June 24th, asked "what about General Pendleton", it seems the suggestion of Schieder that he should be the next Secretary of Defense had made an impression on him. They agreed to get him to do the same process as Middleton and Foley.

Over the weekend of June 25th, just a week to go until the planned announcement, the search team was in a panic. Moore suggested Ethan Butler to Duke on the Saturday, but like McNamara, it was a no, the same when Rohr suggested Senator Max Lobell (who had not even been on the twenty five person long list". On the Sunday, Moore said that if they couldn't get anyone else to do the job, he would step and do the role himself, although he felt that it would be a "mistake" and "should only be the last option". On Monday, Duke flew to Minnesota and then onto Iowa. In Minnesota he spoke with Governor Middleton for an hour, "he was unconvinced" a unnamed staffer told NBS, then hours later in Iowa City, he spoke with Lucas Foley, again Duke was not convinced. On the Monday night, Rohr spoke with former Georgia Governor Mike Schofield who had briefly ran for the 2018 nomination, he refused point blank to be vetted, but he suggested Pendleton. On the Tuesday with Duke in Iowa for a second day, a Teams meeting was sent up with Pendleton. "It was a good meeting" Moore said, but Rohr remained uncertain. "I wish he (Duke) would change his mind on McNamara" but then Patterson suggested going back to Ruth Norton-Stewart, and asking her to reconsider. Duke agreed. But time was running out and on Wednesday July 29th, an e-mail headed "important announcement" was sent out to the press saying that the announcement which originally was scheduled for Saturday, July 2nd was being moved to Tuesday, July 5th citing "extenuating circumstances."

Part THREE coming Tuesday.

Last edited:
While walking back on Pendleton's statements and blaming the "liberal media" for miscommunication is the best play for Duke here to lessen the damage, I think Duke, in the process, may have opened a rift in his relationship with Pendleton. Pendleton's probably wondering how much does Duke really value him as a running mate when Duke publicly disavowed his proposal in favor of the advice of his advisors.

Time travel huh! :D :coldsweat:
Don't be surprised if Pendleton dumps Duke, rather than the other way around. I can imagine that Pendleton is a supercilious and prickly individual, who might do a Trump-like stunt and resign from the ticket via Twitter, that would be a hoot and would say, no one takes Duke seriously! 😳 🤣

1658838110039.png

Tuesday July 26th, 2022
"A total disorganized mess" : How Duke picked Pendleton as his running mate
AN NBS Election Special Report.
PART THREE:

As soon as the e-mail was sent out on June 29th, moving the "important announcement" back to Tuesday July 5th, it gave the Duke camp just six days to find a running-mate, the Duke campaign was hit by a serious of phone calls and texts from senior voices in the party. Chair of the RNC James Ritchie called and had a "heated" phone call with Mark Patterson "get it sorted" was Ritchie's final remark as he ended the call. It was soon followed by the Speaker of the House Mitchell Harris. Harris suggested Norton-Stewart "for fucks sake, George, make her an offer" he told George Rohr, whilst Senate Majority Leader Cody Riley suggested "Norton-Stewart or Ethan Butler, just get sorted before it impacts on the Senate races".

John Moore who had already agreed that if on-one else could be found, he would do the job himself, was still making calls. He spoke to Norton-Stewart twice on the 29th, the second time, she said clearly "I will support him (Duke), he won the nomination, I will speak at the convention, but I don't see how I can help as his running-mate". Early on the Thursday June 30th, Pendleton had formally returned his paperwork, and had a second Teams meeting with Rohr and Moore, with Patterson not present. They remained "unconvinced", "he isn't a team player" Rhor reported back to Patterson and Duke. "That's all well and good, if not him who" Rohr reported the calls from Harris for Norton-Stewart "that's going nowhere" he said, and put forward Riley's suggestion of Ethan Butler" again, Duke turned him down "that doesn't work for me" adding " he will not do it anyway". Other options where suggested, including having the delegates pick the running-mate which Moore said was "risky, who knows who we would get". Duke suggested Stern again, but Rohr made it clear, if he was picked he would "resign", the same for Patty King who Duke said she had called him twice direct in the past two days "begging for the job". Duke suggesting "can't we over look the Nazi thing", all three men, Moore, Rohr and Paterson said that would resign if it was her.

On the Friday, (July 1st) Patterson's deputy, Carl Brett, had an idea what about offering it to Jasper Irving in exchange for him withdrawing from the race ahead of the convention. Patterson said it wasn't "the worse idea going" but "Irving would reject it". Brett who went to University with Irving's son from his first marriage, Tim, said he he would use him as a "back channel". After calling him, he was told by Tim Irving, he put it to his Father but he made it clear "I know what the answer will be". Twenty minutes later, he called Brett back "sorry, Brett, I have nothing against you, mate, but to be honest, I can't even repeat my Dad's answer", and that was that. Patterson suggested Congressman Will Durham (who had been on the list of twenty five", but Brett said Durham's Chief of Staff had already made it clear that he wasn't interested.

On the Saturday, it was clear to everyone that the new date of July 5th was not going to be reached. Duke was campaigning in Pennsylvania, but he joined in on a conference call around 4.PM between events. Duke said that Wesley Burke, the former Governor of Alabama, a big backer of Duke was with him, and had two suggestions, Patterson is said to have mouthed "oh god", he suggested Katie Hodder-Shaw and former Florida Congressman Tom Riddle, Moore replied "no way to either of them" adding that "neither of them had even been on the twenty five person long-list", "it's got to be someone we have had least done some background on", Burke then brought up Pendleton " I like him, he isn't a politician, he has a great military record, he is loved on Fox News". After Burke had left the call, Duke said what about Pendleton "none of us three are convinced, he would be a massive risk". Duke suggested another Teams meeting this time with all three of the search team. On Saturday night Moore called Pendelton and agreed it for the Sunday.

This time it went better, Moore said he "was far better this time", and we need a "face to face meeting" before we put in the room with the Senator. Late on Sunday evening, it was agreed that Pendleton would meet them at a hotel in Columbus, Ohio the following day. Then came a twist, within two hours of the agreement with Pendleton, Ohio Governor Art Schieder called Moore, he had clearly been tipped off by the hotel, he was furious "I suggested Pendleton for Defense, now you want him for Vice-President" Moore reminded him that he turned the job down, Schieder said he "was now 100% prepared to take the job", because I can do a far better job than him", Rohr enetered the call saying "Are you now saying, you are now willing to be the running mate again", "yes" was the reply. Rohr and Moore spoke to Duke "are you kidding me, how can this happen to me twice". Duke was clear "no way now, let's see how Pendleton does tomorrow".

Just minutes after that call, Duke took a call from Texas Governor Adam De Haan offering his own services saying that "he would stop Long's campaign in it's tracks", Duke said he wasn't against it, and put it to Moore and the others. The answer back was "no" from all three of them. On Monday morning with the trio heading to Columbus, the campaign team put out an e-mail announcing a second delay to the "important announcement".

On Monday, Pendleton did well again, after a two hour meeting. Moore called Duke saying "I think you should sit down with him on Wednesday". It was agreed, this time Pendleton agreed to a meeting in Little Rock, Arkansas. Duke agreed but once again try to bring up "King and Stern" again the trio said that they would resign. "ok what about Tom Riddle" again it was "no, no, the Democrats would have a field day" said Rohr, with Moore adding "he is a awful campaigner", again adding that they had done no real background checks on him.

On Wednesday, Duke slipped away from the press using a dummy motorcade and was smuggled into Little Rock, Arkansas. It had been agreed that it would be a "long interview", but Duke just walked in, shock Pendleton's hand and said " General, you fancy being my Vice-President" at which Pendleton replied "yes, sir I am ready to serve", and that was that. Moore was furious with Duke, he asked to speak to him alone in the bathroom of the hotel suite, "what the hell, you just offered it to him, like that", Duke replying "yes, otherwise we will never get anyone". Then Rohr started bagging on the bathroom door "let me in". A staffer who saw the whole incident said "you had the Republican nominee for President, locked in the bathroom with a former governor, and his chief advisor, trying to get in" it was "farcical".

Finally, with Pendleton waiting Duke went back into the main suite and said once again if Pendleton wanted the job it was his, adding after what had taken place with Schieder "if you say, yes, now, that is we are not going back, we will announce on Sunday".

And so that was how it played out, Ritchie, Harris and Riley didn't find out until the announcement was made public, although Wesley Burke was told on the Saturday evening. A staffer on the Duke campaign told us "it was a total disorganized mess, that is the best way I can describe it".

Last edited:
Which OTL actor is playing which fictional character again?

Ritchie is played by Brolin, and Duke by Willis, Who is Pendleton, Moore, Schneider, and the others in the article?

Which OTL actor is playing which fictional character again?

Ritchie is played by Brolin, and Duke by Willis, Who is Pendleton, Moore, Schneider, and the others in the article?
Pendleton - Terry Serpico
John Moore - Kurt Russell
Art Scheider - Adrian Pasdar
Adam De Haan - Luke Wilson
Tom Riddle - Billy Zane