2018 Presidential Election

250px-CBCdotCA_Logo.svg.png

PC landslide ends nearly two decades of Liberal rule in Ontario
McLean to resign as Liberal leader

June 3, 2022

8LnOyxz.png

Mike Lincoln goes impromptu at an election rally (photo: M. Myers)

The Progressive Conservative Party of Ontario won a landslide victory last night to end nearly two decades of Liberal Party rule in Canada's most populous province.

With nearly every vote having been tallied, the Progressive Conservatives (PC) have been declared the winner of 83 seats, a commanding majority of 21 for the next legislative assembly. Premier Karen McLean's Liberals fell to only 13 seats, while the formerly third-place New Democratic Party gained 17 seats from their previous showing, giving them a total of 27 seats and making them the province's next Official Opposition. Green Party leader David Howard retained his seat in Guelph, which he had first won four years ago.

PC leader and premier-designate Mike Lincoln pledged that a "new era of fiscally responsible and transparent government" had begun in Ontario, and that the provincial government would "return to working on behalf of Ontarians, not on behalf of entrenched interests."

McLean, now the last of a Liberal dynasty that lasted nearly two decades after the party took power in 2003, announced that she would retire as Liberal Party leader and that she would resign from her seat in Ottawa Centre upon the election of her successor.

The first woman to lead Ontario, McLean became the face of a Liberal government that, to its critics, had become out-of-touch and increasingly dominated by scandals. The ballooning price tag of the projected repair and upgrade costs of Hydro One, the province's electrical utility, emerged as a salient issue during the last assembly, and by the time the writs were dropped, most Liberals privately admitted that the party would not form the next government.

In a concession speech, McLean thanked supporters and "the people of Ontario, for making these the six most challenging and rewarding years of my career." She touted her government's plan of universal pharmaceutical coverage for children, minimum wage increases and efforts to expand school sex education curriculums to cover gender identity.

Federal implications

Prime Minister Kate Sansellfort called Lincoln last night to privately offer her congratulations and her office issued a statement saying she "looked forward to working with [Lincoln] on issues that effect Ontarians."

With the federal Conservatives still in the midst of a campaign to choose a permanent successor to former prime minister Leslie Van Merhalls, interim party leader Bruce Chapchuk said the result was a "clear call from Ontarians that they are fed up with the type of tax-heavy, free-spending politics that Kate Sansellfort advocates."

Sansellfort, Chapchuk and NDP leader James Addison all congratulated Ontario NDP leader Laura Wong on becoming the first visible minority to become leader of the opposition (Wong's father immigrated from China).

And of course the infobox:

iNpekiY.png

Cast (new character unless noted)
Mike Myers as Mike Lincoln
Kim Cattrall as Karen McLaren (new casting)
Meg Tilly as Laura Wong
J.C. Mackenzie as David Howard

And of course the infobox:

iNpekiY.png

Cast (new character unless noted)
Mike Myers as Mike Lincoln
Kim Cattrall as Karen McLaren (new casting)
Meg Tilly as Laura Wong
J.C. Mackenzie as David Howard
So is Mr. Lincoln supposed to be inspired by Doug Ford, Mike Harris or both. Also has there been any scandals involving politicians smoking crack ITTL? Be it similar to Rob Ford or Marion Barry.

Last edited:
So is Mr. Lincoln supposed to be inspired by Doug Ford ripoff, Mike Harris ripoff or both. Also has there been any scandals involving politicians smoking crack ITTL? Be it similar to Rob Ford or Marion Barry.
His name is a clear nod to both, and casting a comedic actor is a hat-tip to some of the oafish aspects of the Ford brothers. Also, you do know that referring to a character as a "ripoff" is kind of insulting, right?

Marion Barry was Washington DC mayor before the 1985 POD and unless we decide to do a deeper look into DC's mayors ITTL, I'd assume his arrest for smoking crack while mayor still happened.

His name is a clear nod to both, and casting a comedic actor is a hat-tip to some of the oafish aspects of the Ford brothers. Also, you do know that referring to a character as a "ripoff" is kind of insulting, right?

Marion Barry was Washington DC mayor before the 1985 POD and unless we decide to do a deeper look into DC's mayors ITTL, I'd assume his arrest for smoking crack while mayor still happened.
I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to call him a ripoff.

Also yes casting Myers in the role is a good and fitting being a Canadian. Hopefully Mr. Lincoln can stay out trouble, not have any drunken stupors, or have any bloopers like falling over trying to throw a football or walking into a camera. I don't know if you intend to go anywhere with this character, but speaking as a Canadian who lives in Ontario, I'd be happy to help out if you if you need insight into how an Ontarian would react to something he or his government does or any Ontario history. If Lincoln is anything like Ford & Harris, there's gonna be a few teachers strikes in Ontario that's for sure.

Also is Wong inspired by Olivia Chow? If so, you guys know your Canadian politics. I'm impressed!

Last edited:
I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to call him a ripoff.

Also yes casting Myers in the role is a good and fitting being a Canadian. Hopefully Mr. Lincoln can stay out trouble, not have any drunken stupors, or have any bloopers like falling over trying to throw a football or walking into a camera. I don't know if you intend to go anywhere with this character, but speaking as a Canadian who lives in Ontario, I'd be happy to help out if you if you need insight into how an Ontarian would react to something he or his government does or any Ontario history. If Lincoln is anything like Ford & Harris, there's gonna be a few teachers strikes in Ontario that's for sure.

Also is Wong inspired by Olivia Chow? If so, you guys know your Canadian politics. I'm impressed!
Yeah. There's a reason I gave her the same riding (well the provincial version of it, anyways) as Chow's late husband.

NBS CAMPAIGN 2022 HEADER.png

Long responds to NRA & pro-gun attack ads, says NRA are "anti-police"

Sunday, June 5th, 2022

Billionaire independent presidential campaign Andrew Long did not back down after a series of attack ads began airing in his home state of Texas earlier this week claiming that Long had supported "unconstitutional infringements on the rights of gun owners" by voicing his support for gun control legislation in the past.

Making the rounds on Sunday talk shows, Long, who recently became the first independent presidential candidate in over two decades to qualify for the ballot in every state, responded by saying that the clips were taken out of context to imply that he supported "ultra-liberal gun confiscations."

"Let's be clear: I don't support any policy that involves the government rounding up guns from our citizens' homes, and I don't think the American people support that either," Long said on ABC's This Week. "What I do support are laws that keep guns out of the hands of dangerous criminals and the mentally unstable...Unlike the anti-police extremists who made this ad, I don't want the men and women of law enforcement to "

"Do you think the NRA [National Rifle Association, the largest group that made an ad attacking Long] is anti-police?" host George Stephanopoulos inquired.

"I think any group who opposes things like computerized background checks, red-flag laws or regulating 'ghost guns' is by definition anti-police." Long responded.

The NRA issued a statement on Sunday afternoon saying that Long's remarks were "extreme and untrue", saying that "thousands of current and former law enforcement officers are members."

Other issues discussed on Long's appearances on other programs include his plans for a running mate ("my campaign has been in discussion with several very distinguished current and former officeholders, but we have not yet reached a decision"), whether he thinks he is acting as a spoiler ("Senator Duke is the one spoiling the chance of conservatives and Republicans to make Sam Seaborn a one-term president") and his plan to reduce healthcare costs by giving every American a health savings account ("we want people to be able to keep more of their money to deal with their medical expenses, which is why we would make the transfer tax-free...to help incentivize employers to help, any company that adds a matching amount of two percent of their employees' gross pay per pay period to the account will be able to benefit from new tax breaks.").

This is hilarious because I was just watching Arachnids in the UK (Doctor Who ) last night which has Noth playing a businessman planning to run for President and I was going to suggest him for Long if he hadn't been cast.
I cast him way before his appearance/s in Doctor Who as well, he was mentioned in an article about actors would make great tv/film Presidents.

acn_hbo_the_newsroom_logo.png

Wednesday, June 7th 2022

Chinese president's bizarre answer causes chaos for government censors, CCP leaders

Beijing
President Qian Min's bizarre answer during a televised meeting with both foreign and Chinese journalists has caused a political uproar in China and has led to chaos and confusion among the leaders of the Chinese Communist Party (CCP). Qian, who has made his disdain for animal rights protestors clear during his eight years at the head of the People's Republic of China, was asked how the government would respond to large protests by the so-called guma'er, as Chinese veterans of the war in Qumar are called. Several protests have been reported or shared on social media during the past two years, with some demobilized veterans complaining of inadequate support after they left the military, especially veterans who have been injured or diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

"We will treat our heroes with compassion and understanding while enforcing our nation's laws," Qian said. "But this kindness will not be extended to the disturbed people who care more about cows and chickens than people. To those people, we will do what we did thirty years ago with our tanks."

The last sentence, a clear reference to the Tiananmen Square protests in 1989, has caused a massive political and social firestorm. The peaceful protests, led by students and pro-democracy demonstrators, was brutally crushed by the government on June 4, 1989, with hundreds to thousands of protestors being killed and many more participants being jailed. Even 33 years later, the protests and massacre by the military are heavily censored in China, with the government suppressing knowledge about the event and media that references it without using the government-approved telling of events is banned.

Already, reports by both journalists and people within China report rapidly-changing and contradictory censorship of media involving Qian's answer. One particularly popular TikTok video shows a young woman refreshing the first page of Google results for "thirty years ago with our tanks" and refreshing it every few seconds, showing nearly constant fluctuation in results as the state's line continues to rapidly change.

The political mess comes at a very poor time for Qian, who has quietly made it known that he wants another five-year term as Chinese leader. Qian originally took power after Wei Lian was ousted by other party leaders in 2013 and was re-selected as the General Secretary of the CCP in 2017. The precedent has been for leaders to only serve two terms and for members of the Standing Committee of the Politburo (the body that includes the top leaders of the CCP) to retire at the next party conference after their 67th birthday. Qian will be 65 when the 20th National Congress meets in the fall, and has reportedly stated that he would not have served two terms, since he first took over for Wei (who was chosen at the 18th National Congress in 2012 before being deposed).

-----------------------------​

Tc9ooaA.png

Haney resigns to head think tank

Wednesday, June 7th, 2022

Congressman Pat Haney (D-FL) announced his resignation, effective tomorrow, to become the new president of the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars. Haney, who has represented Florida's 22nd district that includes Fort Lauderdale and Boca Raton since 2013, had been the only member of the House of Representatives from Florida to have not filed for re-election or declared that he would not run for another term.

As a result of redistricting and Florida gaining two seats in the House, most of the area that Haney represents will become part of the 23rd district. Since Florida state law would prevent a special election from being called sufficiently earlier from the November general election (when most voters in Haney's district will be voting in a new district), Governor Jessica Gelsey (D)'s office said that the governor will not call a special election to fill the seat.

acn_hbo_the_newsroom_logo.png

Wednesday, June 7th 2022

Chinese president's bizarre answer causes chaos for government censors, CCP leaders

Beijing
President Qian Min's bizarre answer during a televised meeting with both foreign and Chinese journalists has caused a political uproar in China and has led to chaos and confusion among the leaders of the Chinese Communist Party (CCP). Qian, who has made his disdain for animal rights protestors clear during his eight years at the head of the People's Republic of China, was asked how the government would respond to large protests by the so-called guma'er, as Chinese veterans of the war in Qumar are called. Several protests have been reported or shared on social media during the past two years, with some demobilized veterans complaining of inadequate support after they left the military, especially veterans who have been injured or diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

"We will treat our heroes with compassion and understanding while enforcing our nation's laws," Qian said. "But this kindness will not be extended to the disturbed people who care more about cows and chickens than people. To those people, we will do what we did thirty years ago with our tanks."

The last sentence, a clear reference to the Tiananmen Square protests in 1989, has caused a massive political and social firestorm. The peaceful protests, led by students and pro-democracy demonstrators, was brutally crushed by the government on June 4, 1989, with hundreds to thousands of protestors being killed and many more participants being jailed. Even 33 years later, the protests and massacre by the military are heavily censored in China, with the government suppressing knowledge about the event and media that references it without using the government-approved telling of events is banned.

Already, reports by both journalists and people within China report rapidly-changing and contradictory censorship of media involving Qian's answer. One particularly popular TikTok video shows a young woman refreshing the first page of Google results for "thirty years ago with our tanks" and refreshing it every few seconds, showing nearly constant fluctuation in results as the state's line continues to rapidly change.

The political mess comes at a very poor time for Qian, who has quietly made it known that he wants another five-year term as Chinese leader. Qian originally took power after Wei Lian was ousted by other party leaders in 2013 and was re-selected as the General Secretary of the CCP in 2017. The precedent has been for leaders to only serve two terms and for members of the Standing Committee of the Politburo (the body that includes the top leaders of the CCP) to retire at the next party conference after their 67th birthday. Qian will be 65 when the 20th National Congress meets in the fall, and has reportedly stated that he would not have served two terms, since he first took over for Wei (who was chosen at the 18th National Congress in 2012 before being deposed).

-----------------------------​
When I made Qian he was designed to be an asshole. But unless he pissed off a bunch of party bosses I cannot see him not getting another term. IT would need to be the Chinese economy or some act of god to really unseat him.

Just a heads up we have 2 UK by-elections in two weeks time (June 23rd).
  • East Ham caused by the death of Labour MP Fred Dawes Lab Majority: 24,411
  • Vauxhall caused by the election of Labour MP Dominic Eames to London Mayor Lab Majority: 20,343

NBS CAMPAIGN 2022 HEADER.png

Seaborn's polling lead grows as Duke struggles to unify GOP

Saturday, June 11th, 2022

President Sam Seaborn's campaign quickly touted the results of the new NBS/YouGov poll released today that shows the president leading presumptive Republican nominee Alan Duke by nearly 20 percentage points.

The poll, conducted over two days earlier this week, shows that 47 percent of likely voters prefer Seaborn compared to 28 percent that support Duke. Nearly 15 percent of voters prefer independent candidate Andrew Long (eight percent) or the unnamed Green Party nominee (six percent) over the two major party candidates.

Duke's polarizing personality and extremely conservative beliefs have led to a persisting fracture within the Republican Party between those who support Duke and more moderate Republicans, such as those who supported Duke's strongest primary rival, senator Jasper Irving (IL). The Duke campaign has made efforts to reconcile with Irving, who has still not suspended his presidential campaign despite the end of the party primaries. But the revelation that the Duke campaign had been considering congresswoman Patty King (GA), a freshman representative who most recently made the news for claiming that the Hollis Foundation's program providing vaccine clinics in underdeveloped nations was an attempt to "microchip and catalogue every human in the world", to join the Republican ticket caused outrage and alarm among Republican leaders.

The Duke campaign issued a statement saying that they had "decided not to continue" vetting King for the nomination, but denied that issues raised by what it called "biased mainstream news sources" had caused the campaign to continue looking elsewhere, saying the decision to focus on other potential candidates had been made days before the story broke.

Seaborn (D): 47% (+2)
Duke (R): 28% (-2)
Long (I): 8% (-1)
Green: 6% (±0)
Undecided: 11% (+1)​

congresswoman Patty King (GA), a freshman representative who most recently made the news for claiming that the Hollis Foundation's program providing vaccine clinics in underdeveloped nations was an attempt to "microchip and catalogue every human in the world"
Even in this universe you can't escape the B.S.