2018 Presidential Election

Michael O'Brien (1942-2013)
Conservative MP for Peterborough from 1979 to 1995. Chancellor of the Exchequer (1991-1993), Home Secretary (1993-1995) before being appointed European Commissioner for External Relations serving from 1995 for just a year, before he was asked to become the final Governor of Hong Kong in 1996 following the sudden death of the Governor and became the final Governor until June 1997. After the handover he never returned to front line politics in the UK, turning down a knighthood and a place in the House of Lords. He became Chancellor of Oxford University in 2005 until his death in 2013.
1618342360587.png

O'Brien speaking at the 1991 Conservative Party Conference.
(photo by David Lyon)
Background
(Based on a mixture of Norman Lamont, Leon Britain, Brian Mawhinney, Neil Kinnock, and Chris Pattern)

Last edited:
NBS NEW LOGO.png

Wednesday April 14th, 2021

Charlie Forrester makes 2022 Presidential announcement

Georgia Senator Charlie Forrester burst into the Republican Presidential race with a freewheeling and, at times, emotional speech that hit on two main points: Republicans can help those less fortunate themselves and he can win, despite long odds.

Speaking outside his alma mater, John Marshall Law School in Altana he announced "I am here to ask you for your prayers, for your support, because I have decided to run for President of the United States," he told the crowd of roughly 4,000. Forrester throughout his speech seemed to take much the same line as South Carolina Governor Ethan Butler has in his gubernatorial campaigns and certainly in a way that no other Republican candidate has done so far this cycle, touching on themes of unity and support.

"There are those who say 'Just work harder.' 'Pull yourselves up by your bootstraps.' I believe in all of that but some people just don't have the fortune we have," he said. "For two years when I was far younger, and had far more hair than I do now, I travelled and worked for two years across this country, I worked in bars, restaurants, Hotels and even as a garbageman" adding "it is easy for the Democrats to say all Republicans only care about Wall Street, and big business, we don't, the difference is I know that government cannot do everything on it's own, just throwing your taxes at a problem doesn't solve it" adding "being a Conservative doesn't mean you have to judge people, or preach to them about how everything they do is wrong, we show how to take our ideals and values can improve their lives".

As he becomes the seventh Republican candidate to enter the race, Forrester laid down the argument for why he could upend the frontrunners in what is fast becoming a wide-open field. "They said it couldn't be done, and we proved them wrong again" he said, as he recounted his first run for Congress in 1994 then his 2002 run for Governor after losing his first bid four years before. The sixty seven year old, has a resume tailor-made for presidential politics: elected four times state-wide in Georgia (twice as Governor and twice as Senator), worked in the private sector, done blue-collar jobs, worked in the Lassister administration for three years, and served in the House for four years as well.

As he looks to differentiate himself, his calling card may end up being his blunt and sometimes prickly style, which could be spun to present a straight-talking candidate, he is already known for his famous "Have a Beer with Charlie" campaign spots, something it intends to during the campaign "I can tell the good folks in places like Iowa, New Hampshire, I will be inviting you all to have a beer with me, as I lay out my vision for a more unified, caring America, this is not going to be easy, but we are Americans, nothing is ever easy, I don't have to run for the Presidency, but I am doing it because it is right thing for this country".

Last edited:
theeye.com, Thursday April 15th

Flurry of New Entrants Does Little To Shake Norton-Stewart Lead

As the Republican Presidential field continues to fill, a new poll for The Eye & Gallup suggests that Ohio Senator Ruth Norton-Stewart retains a strong lead and has established herself as the clear front runner. The past couple of weeks saw entries by Michigan Governor Ben Laurion and Georgia Senator Charlie Forrester enter the fold but likely GOP voters still see Norton-Stewart as their preferred candidate.

The poll, conducted in the days after Forrester confirmed his entry, Norton-Stewart was the first choice of 30% of Republicans. That numbers increases to nearly 40% when "Don't Know" voters are forced to declare a preference. Laurion appears to be Norton-Stewart's closest contender as the race stands, but there is clear gap between the Ohio Senator and chasing pack.

The Eye/Gallup
poll conducted April 5th-8th, 2500 Republican voters

With "Don't Knows"

Senator Ruth Norton-Stewart, Ohio - 30%
Governor Ben Laurion, Michigan - 16%
Senator Alan Duke, Oklahoma - 13%
Senator Jasper Irving, Illinois - 11%
Senator Charlie Forrester, Georgia - 9%
Congressman Gus Edwards, Michigan - 3%
Congressman Alton Moore, California - 1%
Don't Know - 17%

Excluding "Don't Knows"

Senator Ruth Norton-Stewart, Ohio - 37%
Senator Alan Duke, Oklahoma - 19%
Governor Ben Laurion, Michigan - 18%
Senator Jasper Irving, Illinois - 12%
Senator Charlie Forrester, Georgia - 10%
Congressman Gus Edwards, Michigan - 3%
Congressman Alton Moore, California - 1%

Last edited:
Tc9ooaA.png

Thursday, April 15th, 2021

President Seaborn announces re-election bid

President Sam Seaborn announced in a video and email sent to his supporters that he plans to seek re-election. The move is designed to allow him to begin fund-raising for the 2022 election with 21 months before he is due to face the electorate again.

"Today, we are filing our papers to launch our 2022 campaign," Seaborn wrote in the email.

He explained that has his administration and supporters across the country "fight to protect the progress we've made—and make more—we also need to begin mobilizing for 2022, long before the time comes for us to campaign in earnest."

The president said that, in coming days, his supporters would begin forging new organizations in cities and towns across the country.

"I'll need your help to shape our plan as we create a campaign that reaches farther, focuses harder, and innovates more than anything we've ever built before." Seaborn said. "This will be my last campaign, at least as a candidate. But the cause of making a lasting difference for our families, our communities and our country has never been about one person. It will only succeed if we work together to create a fairer, and more just, society."

Seaborn joins seven Republicans who have already declared their candidacy for the presidency. He is expected to file papers with the Federal Election Commission before Friday, after which he can begin raising funds for what will likely be an expensive re-election campaign.

While the first primaries are still eight months away, it is considered very unlikely that another major candidate will enter on the Democratic side with the president's approval rating at 54%, and over 90% among registered Democrats.

Last edited:
Although I did carry out a 2018 reshuffle of the Conservative Cabinet after the General Election, I never seemed to have published it in PDF form until now....

Attachments

• UK Cabinet Resuffle 2018.pdf
    140.3 KB · Views: 142
Tc9ooaA.png

Thursday, April 15th, 2021

President Seaborn announces re-election bid

President Sam Seaborn announced in a video and email sent to his supporters that he plans to seek re-election. The move is designed to allow him to begin fund-raising for the 2022 election with 21 months before he is due to face the electorate again.

"Today, we are filing our papers to launch our 2022 campaign," Seaborn wrote in the email.

He explained that has his administration and supporters across the country "fight to protect the progress we've made—and make more—we also need to begin mobilizing for 2022, long before the time comes for us to campaign in earnest."

The president said that, in coming days, his supporters would begin forging new organizations in cities and towns across the country.

"I'll need your help to shape our plan as we create a campaign that reaches farther, focuses harder, and innovates more than anything we've ever built before." Seaborn said. "This will be my last campaign, at least as a candidate. But the cause of making a lasting difference for our families, our communities and our country has never been about one person. It will only succeed if we work together to create a fairer, and more just, society."

Seaborn joins seven Republicans who have already declared their candidacy for the presidency. He is expected to file papers with the Federal Election Commission before Friday, after which he can begin raising funds for what will likely be an expensive re-election campaign.

While the first primaries are still eight months away, it is considered very unlikely that another major candidate will enter on the Democratic side with the president's approval rating at 54%, and over 90% among registered Democrats.
Is Governor Ellie Bartlet still thinking about running a primary challenge against him? Or has that always just been speculative?

Now that he's officially announced his reelection bid, are there any plans for an article or sum such summing up the Seaborn presidency so far?

Not right now, but there might be in the future.

Is Governor Ellie Bartlet still thinking about running a primary challenge against him? Or has that always just been speculative?

I think you've got it mixed a bit: Elizabeth Bartlet is the governor of New Hampshire and she's been speculated as a potential running mate for Sam in 2022, not someone who would primary him.

Or a really bad idea

Sam needs to move away from the Bartlet era or he will always be seen as a second rate Bartlet who can't stand on his own two feet
He has not already done that? He is a successful president who is running for re-election. Having Elizabeth Bartlett, who is already a Governor, as Vice-president would NOT be a bad idea.

Selecting a Bartlet kid as VP makes Sam look like he needs them for his success. What Sam needs is someone that will help him trounce whoever the GOP run in 2022, politically getting cocky is how you are beaten. The party staying tied to Bartlet is a bad idea. It must move on.

What I think is better is pick candidates for the VP slot that can win. Sam is his own man now, he has to stand away from Bartlet and he knows Bartlet would understand.

Whomever the GOP pick as their candidate it could be some idiot or it could be a competent and capable campaigner who rallies voting blocks others ignored. My gut says that is who we get, the capable guy who can charm folks from suburban Northeast to rural West and everywhere inbetween.

Selecting a Bartlet kid as VP makes Sam look like he needs them for his success. What Sam needs is someone that will help him trounce whoever the GOP run in 2022, politically getting cocky is how you are beaten. The party staying tied to Bartlet is a bad idea. It must move on.

What I think is better is pick candidates for the VP slot that can win. Sam is his own man now, he has to stand away from Bartlet and he knows Bartlet would understand.

Whomever the GOP pick as their candidate it could be some idiot or it could be a competent and capable campaigner who rallies voting blocks others ignored. My gut says that is who we get, the capable guy who can charm folks from suburban Northeast to rural West and everywhere inbetween.
The party has moved away from Bartlett for years and Sam has already WOH the election. Jed Bartlett is also long dead, Elizabeth is a successful governor, a woman (and Democratic Party would like that as ATL US already had a woman as vice-president and she was Republican) and come from the area of the country opposite to Sam’s own home state.

The party has moved away from Bartlett for years and Sam has already WOH the election. Jed Bartlett is also long dead, Elizabeth is a successful governor, a woman (and Democratic Party would like that as ATL US already had a woman as vice-president and she was Republican) and come from the area of the country opposite to Sam’s own home state.
But we have had no African American VP? Asian American? Jewish American VP?

While I am sure she is a great governor can she win across enough demographics? I think for the Dems they’ll need a person of color. The shotgun marriage will be over after Jan 20th, 2023 and just going Bartlet as the list seems unfair to other qualified potential VPs. The Dems will need to learn from 2018’s mistakes and not repeat them.

So for the love of god, no billionaires.

If you read this storyline all the way through you'll discover that Sam started his presidential running holding tight to to the Bartlet legacy and filling his campaign with former Bartlet supporters and do you know what happened? He almost lost the nomination. It was only when he learnt the lesson that Bartlet tried to teach him during his run for the 47th (and which I'm not sure Josh ever learned), that its okay to be his own man that he won.

If you want a female VP from a key state than the obvious choice is Congresswomen and former Governor Josie Bail of Ohio.

1618695315512.png

Atlantis Cable News

Twitter "war" between Edwards & Buchanan continues as former VP Hoynes is drawn into the mix

Washington D.C.- The Twitter war between Deputy White House Communications Director John Edwards and Virginia Senator Rob Buchanan continued late last night as Senator Buchanan turned his most recent attacks to Edwards' mentor, former Vice President of the United States, John Hoynes. Hoynes, who made a shocking appearance at last weekend's WrestleMania 37 where he was part of the announcement that next year's WrestleMania 38 will be held in Dallas, sent out a tweet on Friday thanking WWE for allowing him to live out his childhood dream of appearing at WrestleMania.

"I would just like to thank @WWE & @VinceMcMahon for allowing me to be apart of announcement of next year's WrestleMania. Standing next to @steveaustinBSR was the thrill of a lifetime. Can't wait for next year"- @JohnHoynesTX

Hoynes also sent out more tweets praising various wrestlers who performed during the two-night event.

Hoynes' tweets drew some of predictable responses, but none more notable than from Rob Buchanan.

"You do know it's fake right?"- @SenRobBuchanan

Not one to pass up the opportunity, John Edwards was quick to respond

"You do know the South lost the Civil War, right?"- @RedDevilJE

Buchanan & Edwards continued to trade insults back & forth in the following days. VP Hoynes did not respond to the tweets.

An odd, accidental "lesson" from the West Wing and this thread is that whoever is chosen to be Sam's next running mate shouldn't be picked for political or balance reasons, because that has been tried almost every single time before, and has led to disaster upon disaster.

Sam should pick someone who he feels would be a good President, shares his ideals, shares his agenda (or, alternatively, has a noble agenda with acceptable distinctions). Someone who isn't overtly ambitious or prone to cutting Sam's throat or kneecapping him for political advantage.

The pick would also be a way of solidifying Sam's vision for the future, his ideal replacement to continue the progress he wants in America, so a moderate New Yorker or a blue dog Midwesterner seem out of the question to me. Maybe someone more progressive than Sam, taking the country to new heights even (in Sam's mind).

From an entertainment perspective, the pick should also be a surprise. Not necessarily a name that has been bandied about lately, but also not completely out of the question.

An odd, accidental "lesson" from the West Wing and this thread is that whoever is chosen to be Sam's next running mate shouldn't be picked for political or balance reasons, because that has been tried almost every single time before, and has led to disaster upon disaster.

Sam should pick someone who he feels would be a good President, shares his ideals, shares his agenda (or, alternatively, has a noble agenda with acceptable distinctions). Someone who isn't overtly ambitious or prone to cutting Sam's throat or kneecapping him for political advantage.

The pick would also be a way of solidifying Sam's vision for the future, his ideal replacement to continue the progress he wants in America, so a moderate New Yorker or a blue dog Midwesterner seem out of the question to me. Maybe someone more progressive than Sam, taking the country to new heights even (in Sam's mind).

From an entertainment perspective, the pick should also be a surprise. Not necessarily a name that has been bandied about lately, but also not completely out of the question.
And someone he thinks can deal with China, Russia, and other problems of the day. Aside from terrorism,I think China will likely be the big state problem in the future. It is going to be unavoidable for the USA and China to ruffle the other’s feathers.

EDIT:

I doubt Qian or whomever succeeds him will not alter the PRC Constitution (probably 1982) to be president for life.

Last edited: