2018 Presidential Election

Tc9ooaA.png

Friday, March 5th, 2021

Representative Randy Celeste switches parties, joins Greens

Congressman Randy Celeste formally announced today that he has left the Democratic Party and joined the Greens, becoming the first ever member of the environmentalist party in Congress. Speaking in the Capitol, Celeste said that he had "thought long and hard" about his membership in the party after President Sam Seaborn softened his push for universal healthcare in his recent State of the Union address.

"Ultimately, I found my disagreement with the president's backtracking outweighed any benefits I would retain by remaining in the Democratic Party," Celeste said. He added that he had spoken both the Seaborn and House Minority Leader Daniel Maddox (D-IL) and that he would remain willing to work with House Democrats on "meaningful progressive legislation."

Celeste was first elected to Congress in 2010 as a member of the Progressive Alliance, although he caucused with the Democratic majority. After the alliance's dissolution in 2012, he changed his affiliation to Democratic, becoming one of the most left-wing members of Congress. In January's election for Speaker of the House, Celeste was the only Democrat who voted against Maddox, instead voting for former senator Haydn Straus, the Green Party's presidential nominee three years ago.

In his press conference, Celeste declined to say whether he would seek re-election to the House and/or run for president next year on the Green Party ticket. Straus' running mate, activist Susan Buckner, has formed an exploratory committee and has promised to work to ensure that the party's nominee gets on the ballot in all 50 states (currently the Green Party's presidential nominee has automatic ballot access in 42 states and the District of Columbia).

For those wondering, as of 2021:

Y249HaZ.png

Green are states where the Greens have automatic ballot access per the Special Election Act of 1986 (received at least five percent of the statewide vote in the most recent presidential election)
Light green are states where the Greens have automatic ballot access for their presidential candidate via other means
Gray is where the Greens do not have automatic ballot access for their presidential candidate

1615127472386.png

Sunday March 7th 2021

Robert Webster confirms he will stand down as NPP leader after May elections

Robert Webster, the leader of the NPP since 1994 has confirmed that he will be standing down as party leader after the May local and regional elections. He has been an MP since 2011, but he confirmed in his speech to party members at it's spring conference in Dover that he would stay as an MP, but would not the fight the seat at the next general election which is due by September 2023.

Webster said he that he "would continue to fight for a second referendum on EU membership" and confirmed he would become "honorary President," although he would "relinquish all executive power within the party".

The party had been planning for it's first leadership election since the last general election, in February 2019, Webster ordered the party to put in place rules for a leadership contest. These rules proved controversial because it said only MP's could become party leader, which ruled out several expected candidates such as Deputy Leader Nigel Simonsen (who was elected to that post when it was created in 2008) and two time London Mayoral Candidate Jonathan Freeman.

Candidates standing for the leadership will only need 2 nominations from the party's 13 MP's. The expected candidates are Great Grimsby MP Chantelle Rogers, James Hilton MP for Castle Point and Charles Thaw MP for Rochford and Southend East. If more than two candidates are nominated, each would be eliminated by MP vote, with the two remaining candidates going forward to a vote of the party membership. Nominations will open on May 10th although the party has yet to confirm when the first ballots will take place.

Last edited:
NBS NEW LOGO.png

Wednesday March 10th 2021

Senator Irving declares Presidential bid

Illinois Junior Senator Jasper Irving, standing before the Old State Capitol in Springfield where Abraham Lincoln began his political career, announced his candidacy for the White House today.

"In the shadow of the Old State Capitol, where Abraham Lincoln once called on a divided house to stand together, I stand before you today to announce my candidacy for President of these United States of America." The 58 year old, former businessman and author told the larger than expected crowd that he was he was the "only candidate running, Republican or Democrat who knows about creating 1,000's of good paying jobs, I created a business, I started it off in basically what was a shed in North Chicago, I had one very old Apple Mac, but within ten years I had a nationwide publishing business, and let me tell you, I took a risk back then, I know what it is like when you are worrying if you can provide for a young family" adding "This President knows nothing about job creation, he is destroying the work of President Walken, with his over regulation that stops entrepreneur's from creating good paying jobs, he is doing it to appease the hard left liberals in his party, well my friends, I can defeat him and the liberal left, and bring good jobs to all Americans".

Irving is regarded as the candidate of the moderate/Vinick wing of the Republican party, although Irving addressed head on that he moved political positions over the past decade "I know that my opponents will say, that he has flip flopped, and changed his views. Yes, I say, because it is a sign of a good person that learns and changes his views, based on facts without endangering their principles. I am a proud Republican, I am going throw everything I have into this grand endeavour, and because of this states law, I will not be a candidate for re-election to the Senate next year, I am staking everything I have on becoming your next President".

Irving's speech was well received and was joined on stage by his wife Katherine and their 13 year old daughter Katie. Later today Irving will fly to Iowa to begin his campaign in the first state which will start the presidential nomination process in January next year.

Last edited:
1615383182950.png

Senator Jasper Irving takes to the stage to declare his 2022 Presidential bid in Springfield.
(Photo by Tom Cruise-Original thread 2010 casting inspired by the 2007 movie Lions for Lambs)

Last edited:
NBS NEW LOGO.png

Wednesday March 10th 2021

A special Series: The 2022 Presidential Contenders

Number Four: Jasper Irving

Jasper Thomas Irving
Born July 3rd, 1962, Syracuse, New York.

A member of the Republican party, he has served as a United States Congressman, and from 2017 has been the junior Senator for the state of Illinois. He is also a businessman and author.

When he came first came to national attention in the mid 2000’s, he was regarded as the “pin up boy for the Conservative movement” and was described in 2011 as a “Gold Standard Imperialist” but he has moderated his views in the years since 2011. He rejects that there is a scientific consensus on climate change saying in 2018 "I think it's clear that [climate change] has happened. The extent to which that has been caused by human activity I think is not as clear. I think that is still very much disputed ". He is pro-life but has moved his position since his 2011 Special Senate election run when he said that he “supported legislation to ban all abortions and impose jail sentences for doctors who performed them” but by 2016 he said that he did support abortion when the “health of pregnant women and girls was in serious doubt and limits in cases of rape and incest”, he said that his change in view came after visiting a women’s shelter for victims of rape and domestic violence. He has been a big supporter for NASA and supports a manned space mission to Mars. In October 2020 he was one of thirteen Republican Senator’s who voted for the confirmation of Emmett Franklin to the Supreme Court of the United States.

He was born in Syracuse, New York, to electrical engineer, Thomas (1934-1994) and teacher Anne (nee Hill) (1936-2017). He was the youngest child of three, with a brother Ethan (1956) and sister Val (1959). He attended George Fowler High School in Syracuse graduating in 1980 before attending Rutgers University in New Jersey, where he graduated with BA from Rutgers Business School before moving to the University of Chicago where he completed an MBA from the University of Chicago Booth School of Business. In 1989 he started his own publishing business in Chicago, and went onto to be regarded as one of the most successful self-start entrepreneurs of the 1990’s. He successfully diversified into on-line publishing and website site design. In 2007 he published his first book “Crisis Point” which concerned the middle-east, the book itself being a mixture of chapters of fiction and non-fiction, with the non-fiction elements relating to the fictional storyline of a war in the middle-east, and the United States over-throwing the Iranian Government, but being drawn into a long drawn out occupation of the country. It was well received by many conservative commentators including Nash Rockford. In 2012 he published a totally novel based sequel “Ghost Nation”.

In 2008 he ran for Congress for the 10th Congressional District in Illinois and won. He was re-elected in 2010, but in just five months into his second term he resigned his seat to run in the special senate election caused by the resignation of Democratic Senator Jack Enlow, but he lost in a landslide to former Commerce Secretary Mitch Bryce. Three years later he ran against Bryce for a second time, but despite losing improved vastly losing by just 6% (53% to 47%). After this second defeat to Bryce he declared that his “political career was over” but in 2015 he changed his mind and decided to run for the other Senate seat, which was open due to the retirement of George Montgomery. He moved more towards the centre and was able to defeat former State Senate Majority leader Alex Sweeney by just 2,977 votes (50.04% to 49.96%) a margin of just 0.08%.

After weeks of speculation he declared on March 10th, outside the Old State Capitol in Springfield that he would be seeking the 2022 Republican nomination for President. Because of state law, he will be unable to seek re-election to the Senate next year.

He married Rebecca Rogers who he met at the University of Chicago, and the couple had two children Tim (born 1988) and Alice (born 1992). The couple divorced in 2001. In 2006 he married for a second time, Katherine Dorr and the couple have a daughter Katie (born 2008).

Last edited:
200px-POLITICOLOGO.svg.png

2022 ELECTIONS
Seaborn brain trust begin assembling campaign staff for 2022 run

03/13/2021

Although he hasn't formally declared his intent to seek a second term, President Sam Seaborn's top advisors and informal "brain trust" have begun locking down top Democratic campaign operatives ahead of next year's election.

Top of the campaign's wish list is Marc Chorley, who took over Seaborn's divided and floundering presidential campaign in late 2017 and turned it into a durable machine capable of surviving the self-inflected wound that was selecting Franklin Hollis as the party's vice presidential nominee. Chorley declined offers of a job in the administration, and has spent the last two years as a political consultant for various Democrats at the state and federal level. Insiders say that Chorley is the frontrunner to run the 2022 campaign, if he accepts.

Other name frequently mentioned are Annabeth Schott, who worked for former First Lady Helen Santos in the White House and in Santos' unsuccessful attempts for elected office in Texas, and Lester Howard, a longtime political advisor who was passed over for the role of Democratic National Committee (DNC) chair. A person familiar with the discussions said that Schott has been discussed for the position of campaign media director while Howard has been mentioned for the role of communications director or overall head of the party's outreach programs.

The result are figures who would have to give up their White House roles to take part: Chief of Staff Will Bailey has been floated to run the campaign if Chorley refuses, Deputy Press Secretary Tom Thurgood to be the head spokesman for the campaign, and Counselor to the President Amy Gardner has been rumored to be interested in the position of chief strategist.

Neither the White House nor any of the people mentioned responded to requests for comment.

NBS NEW LOGO.png

Sunday March 14th 2021

Elderton rules out Presidential run & endorses Irving

John Elderton, the Governor of Utah who had been flirting with a White House bid has ruled out a presidential run today and in a surprise moved endorsed Illinois Senator Jasper Irving at a rally in Des Moines, Iowa.

The Irving camp had managed to keep Elderton's endorsement secret, with him turning up in Des Monies "I am here to endorse my friend, Senator Jasper Irving and god willing, our next President" adding " he has been fighting for common sense solutions in the Senate, and he has been powerful voice regards climate change" adding "it's the sensible path between the two extremes". He also praised Irving's record as a successful businessman "This is a man who knows how to create good paying jobs, as he did in my state of Utah back in 2006, we need that sort of leadership in the White House".

Elderton's strong endorsement and his own decision not to run as started a wave of speculation that he has privately agreed to be Irving's running-mate if he wins the nomination, but sources close to both men have rubbished this speculation. "We are very pleased to have the strong endorsement of Governor Elderton, this has nothing to do with the running-mate spot, the Senator is fully focused on winning the nomination, he isn't looking that far ahead" said the Irving campaign's Communication Director Scott Galley.

Last edited:
200px-POLITICOLOGO.svg.png

2022 ELECTIONS
Seaborn brain trust begin assembling campaign staff for 2022 run

03/13/2021

Although he hasn't formally declared his intent to seek a second term, President Sam Seaborn's top advisors and informal "brain trust" have begun locking down top Democratic campaign operatives ahead of next year's election.

Top of the campaign's wish list is Marc Chorley, who took over Seaborn's divided and floundering presidential campaign in late 2017 and turned it into a durable machine capable of surviving the self-inflected wound that was selecting Franklin Hollis as the party's vice presidential nominee. Chorley declined offers of a job in the administration, and has spent the last two years as a political consultant for various Democrats at the state and federal level. Insiders say that Chorley is the frontrunner to run the 2022 campaign, if he accepts.

Other name frequently mentioned are Annabeth Schott, who worked for former First Lady Helen Santos in the White House and in Santos' unsuccessful attempts for elected office in Texas, and Lester Howard, a longtime political advisor who was passed over for the role of Democratic National Committee (DNC) chair. A person familiar with the discussions said that Schott has been discussed for the position of campaign media director while Howard has been mentioned for the role of communications director or overall head of the party's outreach programs.

The result are figures who would have to give up their White House roles to take part: Chief of Staff Will Bailey has been floated to run the campaign if Chorley refuses, Deputy Press Secretary Tom Thurgood to be the head spokesman for the campaign, and Counselor to the President Amy Gardner has been rumored to be interested in the position of chief strategist.

Neither the White House nor any of the people mentioned responded to requests for comment.
No mention of CJ Cregg? I wouldn't blame them after the Hollis debacle, but still

No mention of CJ Cregg? I wouldn't blame them after the Hollis debacle, but still
CJ would be a "senior adviser" type if she decides to get on the campaign. Which, considering she'll be 61 in 2022 and already has a White House job that provides a bit more stability for her family, she might not do.

Saw this clip of Bartlet's debate prep from the show that I feel I should share for the last exchange between the 43rd and 46th presidents that is funny in hindsight given which country Sam's first foreign policy crises was in:

BARTLET
Apparently, eight Israeli Thunder fighters--these are also known as American-made Boeing F15E
Strike Eagles--have hit two terrorist bases in the north and south of
Qumar. And while no Qumari government personnel or institutions were destroyed, Qumar, of course,
considers an attack on its soil to be an act of war.
So we are, as always, one bad bottle of tequila away from all-out war
in West Asia.
(to Sam) Would you like to take this one or shall I?

SAM
Why don't you get this one. I'll get... the next one.

BARTLET
Okay.

1615898351413.png

Tuesday March 16th 2021

Richard Samuels reaches milestone of six years in office

Conservative Prime-Minister Richard Samuels reaches the milestone of six years as Prime-Minister today. He becomes only the sixth person to reach this number of years as PM since 1945, the others being Clement Atlee, Harold McMillian, Harold Wilson (over 2 terms), Margaret Thatcher and Ricky Meyer.

Samuels who turns 74 in June, is reportedly unsure when he will announce that he is standing down as Prime-Minister. Many believe that he would announce his departure around his birthday on June 3rd, with a leadership contest to be held during June and him handing over to his successor towards the end of July. In the last few weeks sources close to the PM, say that he is still undecided when he will go, he said during the 2018 General Election campaign that he would not fight the next election which is due by September 2023.

The opinion polls continually have the Conservatives ahead by an average of around six to seven points over Labour, which would if repeated at a General Election, see a slight increase in the Conservative majority from 22, to around 40-50 seats. If the Conservatives do well or at least don't suffer major defeats in the local and regional elections being held on May 6th, many party insiders believe that Samuels will decide to delay his departure for another year until June-July 2022, which would mean that he would over take Clement Atlee and Harold McMillian's days in office. Indeed he will overtake Atlee's six years and 93 days in office on Friday June 18th 2021.

Last edited:
NBS NEW LOGO.png

Wednesday March 17th 2021

Michigan Governor Laurion will declare Presidential run on Saturday

Sources close to Michigan Governor Ben Laurion have told NBS that the two term governor, who is term-limited next year will declare his presidential intentions at a rally in Lansing this coming Saturday.

Laurion, 50, has been keeping his presidential intentions to himself in public, but we understand in private that he has been building support amongst many serving and former Republican Governors including Wisconsin's Mark Croft, both the current and former Governors of Indiana Matthew Stillman and Emily Rudden (who herself had long been rumoured had been looking at her own Presidential run) as well former South Dakota Governor Tim Masters. "A growing number of Governors past and present see Ben Laurion, as a unifying candidate, he can bring all wings of the Republican party together and win" a source told NBS.

A former veteran and then the states Attorney General twice won in the state in 2014 and 2018, during presidential election years when the Republicans lost the state on the Presidential level (President Walken did carry it in 2010, but Fitzsimmons and President Seaborn have won it the last two elections). This is seen as big factor for the Governor "He will win his own state in a Presidential election, 100%, Senator Irving will not win Illinois, and Norton-Stewart winning Ohio is basically a toss-up. It is about who is the most electable candidate in the general election, not who can keep the base happy to win the nomination, Governor Laurion can win the President election, and I think that will be his selling point, once he gets into the race, he can win not only Michigan, but win in states like Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin" a different source said.

Last edited:
A casually dressed Governor Ben Laurion watching the returns coming in on election night 2018
1615989080869.png

(Photo by Chris O'Donnell-new casting-based on the backstory created on the 1st thread in 2013)

Tc9ooaA.png

Wednesday, March 17th, 2021

Seaborn celebrates St. Patrick's Day with Irish prime minister

President Sam Seaborn celebrated St. Patrick's Day at the White House alongside Irish prime minister Jim Flanagan.

The president reaffirmed the celebration of Irish and Irish-American heritage and the United States' friendship with the Republic of Ireland.

"Many millions of Americans, myself included, have ancestors who hailed from Ireland," Seaborn said. "As a nation, we have a strong and enduring connection to the Emerald Isle, and today we celebrate that connection."

Flanagan reiterated Seaborn's words of friendship between Ireland and the United States. The Irish prime minister joked that the president "didn't have an excuse this year" to not meet on St. Patrick's Day, referencing the birth of the Seaborn twins the day before St. Patrick's Day 2020 that resulted in Flanagan's visit to the White House being postponed until April. The White House shared a picture of the aforementioned twins celebrating their first birthday yesterday, disclosing that thousands of articles of clothing and toys for infants had been sent to the White House by well-wishers since the president and First Lady Lauren Parker-Seaborn announced her pregnancy in 2019.

The two world leaders shared a Guinness and a closed-door meeting before Flanagan travelled to New York to celebrate with mayor Richard Corey.

A quick note that the BBC uses "Taoiseach" (the official term in both Irish & English for Ireland's head of government) while NBS uses "prime minister", reflecting general OTL usage between British and American news sources.