2018 Presidential Election

Sam's best option now is to avoid any West Wing resignations or firings, put the Bartlet nomination behind him and press on, show contrition, anything else would just make the mess worse for him.

Now that the Bartlet nomination is over, it's time for the final set of "TWW cast infoboxes" now nearly 10 years since the last show depiction of the cast (the flash-forward at the start of season 7 takes place sometime in the summer of 2009)

The set with Leo, and Presidents Bartlet and Santos is here. Part 1 of just cast members with Josh, Toby and Mandy are here. Part 2 consisting of Vinick, Donna and Annabeth is here. President Sam Seaborn's infobox is here.

Ua3tw8b.png

• As always, middle names not mentioned in the show (Will, Kate & Charlie)'s are my own creation.
  • Will was established as growing up in Belgium, where his father was stationed, so I decided it would be neat if he were also born there. The only other major establishments in this infobox are his predecessor and successor as VP Chief of Staff and his mother's name.
  • CJ's infobox had previously been done years ago, so this is just an update with her new position in the Seaborn administration.
  • Kate, compared to the others in this set, had a pretty scant bio given to her by the show, so I added a bunch of stuff. She shares her actress (Mary McCormack)'s birthday and birthplace, although I made Kate a year older as a nod to the screwy chronology of her military rank (IIRC the show had her as a commander in 1995 in a flashback that would have made Harper the character over a dozen years older than McCormack—I've opted for the explanation that it was a misstatement in the show and not that Kate is in her mid-60s while looking like she's nearly two decades younger). Her predecessor at NSA is my creation as are her deputy NSA advisors as well as her acting deputy at Veterans' Affairs (realistically, it is too early in the administration for such a minor post to be filled with a Senate-approved nominee).

I made up the names of Kate's two ex-husbands as well as the dates of her previous marriages. I also established her as being a registered Republican, given her comments in the show that strongly implied she voted for Vinick in 2006. Which makes sense given her career background and service in the Walken administration.
  • Not much needed to be added for Charlie's infobox. His successor as the president's body man, Curtis Carruthers is a show character who carried an MS-paralyzed Bartlet out of Air Force One in an episode—since he doesn't seem to have done anything notable after Bartlet left office, realistically wouldn't get a Wikipedia article of his own and thus his name isn't formatted for a link) and so is his successor as DC shadow senator.
  • Abby, sadly for her, will only get two honorific titles in her infobox after her rejection by the Senate. The only thing new I'm adding here (besides her mother's maiden name) is that she was born in New York—my headcanon is that Abby's father was working for the War Department out of Manhattan and moved his family there, and after the war, they moved back to New Hampshire.

A show error is "formally" corrected here in establishing where Abby got her undergraduate degree. The show says that she and Jed met at Notre Dame when they both went there, but Notre Dame wasn't co-ed until well after they would have graduated (1971). The retcon that Abby went to Saint Mary's (just a few blocks from Notre Dame) is went instead.

Last edited:
Not much needed to be added for Charlie's infobox. His successor as the president's body man, Curtis Carruthers is a show character who carried an MS-paralyzed Bartlet out of Air Force One in an episode—since he doesn't seem to have done anything notable after Bartlet left office, realistically wouldn't get a Wikipedia article of his own and thus his name isn't formatted for a link) and so is his successor as DC shadow senator.

Wait? That bug guy that carried him down the steps of Air Force One in China was the new body-man? For some reason I seriously and always thought it was some big Secret Service Agent.....

Well, there you go. THe things you see several times but assume are soemhting else entirely.

Isn't Jack Reese the National Security Advisor? Harper's successor is Joe Reese in the info box.

That's what I get for doing that infobox after doing a House write-up (Joe Reese is the congressman for California's 50th district).

Fixed.

Wait? That bug guy that carried him down the steps of Air Force One in China was the new body-man? For some reason I seriously and always thought it was some big Secret Service Agent.....

Well, there you go. THe things you see several times but assume are soemhting else entirely.

That's an understandable assumption. That dude was massive.

I thought the same thing for YEARS I cant remember what finally tipped me off it was the New Charlie.

Speaking of Charlie, shouldn't his info box include his work in the Administration after being body man? I forget what his actual title was but along the lines of Special Assistant to the COS (CJ). He was using Sam's old office by the end of the show so surely that deserves some comment!

(Not intended as criticism, you guys do a fantastic job with all of this, I cant imagine keeping it all straight!)

I thought the same thing for YEARS I cant remember what finally tipped me off it was the New Charlie.

Speaking of Charlie, shouldn't his info box include his work in the Administration after being body man? I forget what his actual title was but along the lines of Special Assistant to the COS (CJ). He was using Sam's old office by the end of the show so surely that deserves some comment!

(Not intended as criticism, you guys do a fantastic job with all of this, I cant imagine keeping it all straight!)

I didn't include his other job in the Bartlet administration because it's not high-profile enough to warrant inclusion in the infobox. If you look at Sam's infobox, it doesn't include his time as deputy communications director for the same reason.

mspence

Banned
Global News Network/Politics

Seaborn On Defense; Is CJ Cregg On The Way Out?

Washington-The new administration is reportedly in turmoil following the Senate's rejection of Abigail Bartlet as Health Secretary. Fresh new tensions including a flare-up between Chief of Staff Will Bailey and Gregg were reportedly witnessed by West Wing staffers following news of the Senate vote, which included a decisive "no" by Senator Fitzimmons (D) who is also Senate Minority Leader.
For her own part Mrs. Bartlet has remained mostly silent over the rejected confirmation, although both she and President Seaborn are reportedly "fuming" at Fitzimmons personally. There has been no indication as of yet who the next nominee for the position of Health Secretary will be, or how this might affect future nominations, particularly for the Supreme Court.
As for Cregg, this will make for another notable setback in her already controversial relationship with the Seaborn administration. There are increasing rumors that CJ may either resign following this latest defeat or be shown the door by what must surely be a frustrated Seaborn. The episode has revived some unpleasant memories of the mistakes and mishaps of the Santos administration with regards to Josh Lyman's tenure as Chief of Staff, as well as CJ's earlier inexperience as White House Press Secretary during the early days of the Bartlet administration.

Last edited:
Global News Network/Politics

Seaborn On Defense; Is CJ Gregg On The Way Out?

Washington-The new administration is reportedly in turmoil following the Senate's rejection of Abigail Bartlet as Health Secretary. Fresh new tensions including a flare-up between Chief of Staff Will Bailey and Gregg were reportedly witnessed by West Wing staffers following news of the Senate vote, which included a decisive "no" by Senator Fitzimmons (D) who is also Senate Minority Leader.
For her own part Mrs. Bartlet has remained mostly silent over the rejected confirmation, although both she and President Seaborn are reportedly "fuming" at Fitzimmons personally. There has been no indication as of yet who the next nominee for the position of Health Secretary will be, or how this might affect future nominations, particularly for the Supreme Court.
As for Gregg, this will make for another notable setback in her already controversial relationship with the Seaborn administration. There are increasing rumors that CJ may either resign following this latest defeat or be shown the door by what must surely be a frustrated Seaborn. The episode has revived some unpleasant memories of the mistakes and mishaps of the Santos administration with regards to Josh Lyman's tenure as Chief of Staff, as well as CJ's earlier inexperience as White House Press Secretary during the early days of the Bartlet administration.

Why has been called 'Gregg' so often? Isn't her name 'Cregg'?

Entertainment.com
02/24/2019

Highlights from Vice-President Hunter’s turn at hosting “Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip”:

The Seaborn administration, desperate for positive news following the disastrous failure of former First Lady Abbey Bartlet’s nomination for Secretary of Health and Human Services, allowed Vice-President Jack Hunter to host sketch-comedy icon “Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip” this past Friday. Hunter, one of the more popular members of the Seaborn administration, surprised the media when he revealed that he had agreed to host the popular show.

Reviews of the show have been mostly positive, with many citing Hunter’s comedic timing and ability to like fun at himself.

Highlights:

E6C2C663-401C-41B9-B7FF-EC376CF5B263.jpeg

Vice-President Jack Hunter thanking the cast and musical guest Paul Simon during good-nights

BB55EACC-C584-4D6B-9BB6-F64488122802.jpeg

Vice-President Hunter channeling his inner Andrew Thorn during the Cold Open

Last edited:
Entertainment.com
02/24/2019

Highlights from Vice-President Hunter’s turn at hosting “Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip”:

The Seaborn administration, desperate for positive news following the disastrous failure of former First Lady Abbey Bartlet’s nomination for Secretary of Health and Human Services, allowed Vice-President Jack Hunter to host sketch-comedy icon “Studio 60 on the Subset Strip” this past Friday. Hunter, one of the more popular members of the Seaborn administration, surprised the media when he revealed that he had agreed to host the popular show.

Reviews of the show have been mostly positive, with many citing Hunter’s comedic timing and ability to like fun at himself.

Highlights:

View attachment 442984
Vice-President Jack Hunter thanking the cast and musical guest Paul Simon during good-nights

View attachment 442987
Vice-President Hunter channeling his inner Andrew Thorn during the Cold Open
One spelling error

All of this "Putting the band back together" business has been a nightmare for Seaborn.

I don't know about that. He got a pretty good Chief of Staff, Trade Representative and VA Secretary out of reuniting the (surviving, non-politically toxic) Bartlet crew.

Some of the problems we're seeing now are a result of his incredibly close election that resulted in his coattails not being long enough to swing the Senate. Had Hollis' contingent vote and/or Abby Bartlet's nomination gone to a Democratic Senate whose majority would face a lot of pressure by their base to ratify the new president's choices, there would be very different results and reactions to the president's personnel choices here.

Doing research for this, Japan has direct an proportional elections. Just remember that folks it will come up again.

Wait, you've written stories involving Japan for years on this thread and you didn't know that?

Some of the problems we're seeing now are a result of his incredibly close election that resulted in his coattails not being long enough to swing the Senate. Had Hollis' contingent vote and/or Abby Bartlet's nomination gone to a Democratic Senate whose majority would face a lot of pressure by their base to ratify the new president's choices, there would be very different results and reactions to the president's personnel choices here.

The big problem is, though, that he should have seen all of this coming. He knew very well that there was a Republican Majority in the senate and received terrible advice from his closest advisors. This resulted in fighting for a vice-president that most Americans disliked and fighting for a cabinet nominee in a less important position when he shouldn’t have. Sam needs to get new advisors who haven’t been his friends for years and can tell it to him straight. If he doesn’t do that he is looking at a single term.