2018 Presidential Election

With a new president, it's time to update this fabulous page created by @Tim Thomason

oiGcEg1.png

Washington Adams Jefferson Madison Monroe Jackson Van Buren Harrison Tyler Polk Taylor Fillmore Pierce Buchanan Lincoln Johnson Grant Hayes Garfield Arthur Cleveland McKinley Roosevelt Taft Wilson Harding Coolidge Hoover Truman Eisenhower Kennedy Nixon Ford Carter Reagan Newman Lassiter Bartlet Santos Walken Seaborn

Clinton Gerry Tompkins Calhoun Dallas King Breckinridge Hamlin Colfax Wheeler Hendricks Morton Hobart Fairbanks Sherman Marshall Dawes Curtis Garner Wallace Barkley Humphrey Agnew Mondale Bush Hoynes Russell Baker Tripplehorn Clark Hunter

How did Jimmy Carter die in 1987?

From the universe not being able to handle two separate former Democratic governors from the Deep South with a naval background who become one-term presidents at the same time.

More seriously, I don't think a cause of death was ever established.

nbs.com

Saturday January 26th 2019

Congressman Adrian Galway dead at 82

Congressman Adrian Galway (R-FL), one of the fiercest anti-corruption legislators in Congress, died today in his Maryland town home from natural causes. Paramedics were called when Galway's wife Mary attempted to wake the 82 year-old congressman from a nap after his chief of staff came to the couple's home to discuss staff issues, but got no response.

Galway, who was first elected to Congress in 2008, made a career out of exposing corruption. Born in 1936 to a college professor and his stay-at-home mother, Galway graduated from the University of Florida in 1959 and began a storied career at the St. Petersburg Times (now the Tampa Bay Times), working first in the labor beat and then transitioning to local government in 1961. In more than four decades on that beat, Galway gained a reputation for doggedness and in 1985, won a Pulitzer Prize for his work uncovering massive corruption in the Pasco County Sheriff's Department that led to several deputies later being convicted for various crimes and both the incumbent sheriff and mayor of Dade City resigning in disgrace. Retiring from the Times in 2002, Galway ran for mayor of his home town of Largo and defeated incumbent Jim Whelan. In his term as mayor, Galway cleaned up the city government and reduced administrative costs by nearly ten percent. In 2008, he opted to run for Congress instead of another term as mayor, winning a normally Democratic district.

In his ten years in Congress, Galway passed little legislation. Instead, he made his name on his strong constituent services and for his dogged work exposing government waste and corruption, regardless of whether the administration was Democratic or Republican.

House Minority Leader Mitchell Harris (R-IN) said that he was "shocked and saddened" at the sudden death of "one of Congress' greatest stewards of the public purse." "With a lifetime of public service, Congressman Galway embodied the best in our nation. With her passing, Congress and the people of Florida have lost a great champion of our values of honesty and integrity as well as a dear friend." Speaker Daniel Maddox (D-IL) issued a statement ordering that flags at the Capitol be lowered to half-mast from Saturday afternoon until midnight on Sunday.

A special election to fill Galway's seat will be called by Governor James Ritchie (R-FL) at an unknown date.

Baseball Commissioner To Be Elected at League Meeting on Monday
espn.com

Major League Baseball has announced that there will be a league meeting this coming Monday, January 28, to to elect the 11th Commissioner of Baseball. The vote was originally scheduled for last week but was canceled at the last minute due to sexual harassment allegations against MLB COO Doug Weiss, the top candidate for the position. Weiss resigned from his current position last Wednesday and withdrew himself from consideration for commissioner.

With Weiss out, Oklahoma Congressman George Walker has confirmed that he is seeking the position after avoiding a concrete statement in the past weeks. The other candidate is Montreal Expos team chairman Roger Katz, whose connections to the MLB Players Association have created friction between him and team owners. A 3/4 super-majority vote is required to become commissioner, meaning 23 of the 30 teams. If neither candidate receives 23 votes on the first ballot, the process will be repeated until there is a winner.

How did Jimmy Carter die in 1987?

I can't find it on the old thread or in my PMs, but I recall having a back-and-forth with someone regarding Carter's death.

In my original pre-thread WW timeline, and in early off-topic posts, I had mentioned that Carter died at some point in the '90s, based on The Stormy Present and the Presidents they established. It was Westbrook 49 who moved the year to 1987 in a 538 post.

As a somewhat dark joke, I narrowed the date to January 20, 1987, the inauguration day for D. Wire Newman. Westbrook had said he died at his home in Plains, and in the back-and-forth, I suggested he must not have attended the inauguration that day (despite being the last living Democratic President, and no doubt an inspiration to Newman) because of illness. What that illness was is unestablished.

In real life, four members of his family passed away from pancreatic cancer, even though he never developed it. Within the last few years, he has had a melanoma scare and was successfully treated for potential brain cancer. These may have developed earlier in the WW timeline and were not as well treated or discovered until too late.

Whatever happened to Carter, his death on Inauguration Day put a dark cloud over Newman's presidency, and he probably had to cancel the inaugural balls and one of his first acts in office was planning a presidential funeral.

I can't find it on the old thread or in my PMs, but I recall having a back-and-forth with someone regarding Carter's death.

In my original pre-thread WW timeline, and in early off-topic posts, I had mentioned that Carter died at some point in the '90s, based on The Stormy Present and the Presidents they established. It was Westbrook 49 who moved the year to 1987 in a 538 post.

As a somewhat dark joke, I narrowed the date to January 20, 1987, the inauguration day for D. Wire Newman. Westbrook had said he died at his home in Plains, and in the back-and-forth, I suggested he must not have attended the inauguration that day (despite being the last living Democratic President, and no doubt an inspiration to Newman) because of illness. What that illness was is unestablished.

In real life, four members of his family passed away from pancreatic cancer, even though he never developed it. Within the last few years, he has had a melanoma scare and was successfully treated for potential brain cancer. These may have developed earlier in the WW timeline and were not as well treated or discovered until too late.

Whatever happened to Carter, his death on Inauguration Day put a dark cloud over Newman's presidency, and he probably had to cancel the inaugural balls and one of his first acts in office was planning a presidential funeral.
You guys should really do a prequel thread

Maybe the killer rabbit killed Carter as revenge for micromanaging his daily routine while at White House, also Killer rabbit was triggered over how his love life was ruined by Carter’s incessant micromanaging & wanted to save Democracy for all other rabbits! :) :)

NBS.COM
Monday January 28th 2019

Washington Lt Governor Daniel Edmonds swore in as Governor
Maine ready to get a Republican Governor

Democratic Lt Governor of Washington, Daniel Edmonds was sworn in as Governor on Saturday Morning after Sean Boone resigned following his confirmation by the Senate late on Thursday evening as the new Secretary of the Interior. Boone returned back to Olympia on Friday to formally resign and start the move out from the Governor's Mansion. Edmonds, 46, and his wife Marina, spent Friday night as guests of the Boones, before he took the oath of office at 9.am on Saturday morning. Boone will be formally sworn in as Secretary of the Interior this afternoon in DC.

Meanwhile in Maine the reverse is likely to happen this week with a Republican taking over from a Democratic Governor. Maine Governor Paris Stray is expected to confirmed as the United States Ambassador to the United Nations, and due to the fact that Maine does not have a Lt Governor, the President of the Maine Senate, James Adamson a Republican would succeed Stray in "The Blaine House" in Augusta.

Last edited:
NBS.COM
Monday January 28th 2019

Both Seaborn & Hunter will not take Presidential & vice-Presidential salaries

The White House has confirmed this morning, that both the President and Vice-President will not take the salary for the roles. Both will donate salaries to " worthy charities" chosen by each of them.

White House Press Secretary Cassie Tatum "The President and Vice-President have jointly agreed to donate there salaries to the American People, which is a incredible gesture" . President Walken did not take the full Presidential salary of $400,000 during the past eight years, instead he received the nationwide minimum wage of $7.25 per hour. President Seaborn will though still receive as did President Walken the President's $50,000 expense allowance; $100,000 non-taxable travel account, and the $19,000 entertainment account. The vice president's salary is $230,700.

Congressman Walker Elected Commissioner of Baseball
espn.com
TtJNO9S.png

Oklahoma Congressman George Walker has been elected the 11th Commissioner of Baseball, succeeding Mark Cianciolo, who is stepping down due to brain cancer. Walker was elected at the MLB league meeting in New York today after seven ballots, finally receiving the necessary 23rd vote around 10 PM. The other candidate for the post, former MLBPA lawyer Roger Katz, has stated that he now supports Walker and wishes him well.

Walker, having finally fulfilled a longtime ambition, will resign from his seat in the House of Representatives on Wednesday. He received a message of congratulations from Vice President Jack Hunter, a former owner of the Minnesota Twins. Hunter's brother Carl, the current owner of the Twins, was one of Walker's top supporters among team owners and was critical to helping him get the votes needed for a 3/4 majority.

Hello all,

I have a look at the great Presidential Wiki.
Can someone help to enlighten me why did President Walken choose to return to the House as a backbencher from Missouri 6th District (2009-2010)?

Thanks!

It just doesn’t make sense to me, why after being House Speaker and Acting President that returning to the House would’ve worked for Walken; it’s like Nixon returning to House after stints in Senate, Vice Presidency, a presidential campaign & a bid for the governorship! It just defies logic!

It just doesn’t make sense to me, why after being House Speaker and Acting President that returning to the House would’ve worked for Walken; it’s like Nixon returning to House after stints in Senate, Vice Presidency, a presidential campaign & a bid for the governorship! It just defies logic!
Because he enjoyed being a member of the House?

I think (someone will correct me I'm sure) that during his acting presidency he tells Debbie that he never wanted to be President, that it was never his ambition. Obviously this changes after he has been President, but maybe he really thinks the House is the place he can do the most good.

John Quincy Adams run and was elected to the House in 1830 and died of a stoke in the Capital Building in 1848 while still in office.

ok, this is my listing of Post-War Presidents. Just my opinion (in-universe of course)
  1. Lassister
  2. Truman
  3. Eisenhower
  4. Bartlet
  5. Walken
  6. Ford
  7. Kennedy
  8. Reagan
  9. Johnson
  10. Santos
  11. Newman
  12. Nixon