2018 Presidential Election

Discussion in 'Alternate History Books and Media' started by Marky Bunny, Jul 1, 2018.

1. RRusso1982 Well-Known Member

Disregard my above post. I see Mark already said that.

2. RRusso1982 Well-Known Member

You mentioned Skinner as a possible new Vice President. Why would Fitzsimmons suggest a Republican?

3. Bad'Wolf Well-Known Member

Because the Senate is controlled by the Republicans

Marky Bunny likes this.
  4. RRusso1982 Well-Known Member

But that is a moot point. It Seaborn names a new Vice President before the electors meet, the electors vote on that person. Congress does not confirm him/her. The Senate only matters if Hollis were to step down after the electors met or resigned from office.

5. Excelsior Time's arrow marches forward

There is no guarantee enough electors vote for a replacement candidate. We could have a situation where Seaborn has indicated his preference for a replacement, but electors vote for Hollis anyway, which could lead to Hollis winning and now having a bad relationship with the president, or neither Hollis nor the replacement having enough and the Senate electing Hunter.

Tim Thomason and ajm8888 like this.
  6. Tim Thomason Well-Known Member

Don't forget that in OTL, 30 states have laws of varying stringency against voting for the pledged candidate (which Hollis certainly is). There's some legal shaky ground here, especially if Hollis isn't receptive to the idea of being replaced, and Seaborn or the DNC would be asking some electors to break the law or the "will of the people".

Republicans should and would attack him over that (as I imagine many are about now after that late night meeting), if only to push Hunter into the spot. Interestingly enough, Minnesota, in OTL, is one state that would cancel the vote of anyone going against their pledged candidates, although this is based off of a 2004 incident (the "John Ewards" vote) that didn't happen in this TL.

Especially since 2016 didn't happen, the idea of any faithless electors might be so far beyond the pale as to be considered a made-up crisis by many (although Sam is right to be worried).

I believe this thread considers the 2006 EC VP vote to have been 272 in favor of Leo (thus, all disqualified based on the Greeley precedent) based on comments from the show about not replacing him. Based on what we've established, there probably hasn't been a faithless elector since the '70s or something.

dmg86 likes this.
  7. ajm8888 That Guy from Minnesota

I don't think we'll go that bad but if I am not prepared for it it is best to be ready.

8. KingCrawa Prayed for by a brace of Monks

The issue will be is regardless of whether Hollis withdraws voluntarily or Seaborn punts him overboard, the Republicans will go spare (especially Gault). The argument will be that Sam campaigned under false pretences. The people voted for Seaborn/Hollis not Seaborn/Someone Else.

Care to join me in a rousing chorus of "President Seaborn has no legitimacy"

ajm8888 likes this.
  9. ajm8888 That Guy from Minnesota

Yup. It's he's stuck with Hollis or A republican.

10. disputed Well-Known Member

nbs.com, Friday December 7th

Seaborn Rounding Out White House Team with New Appointments

With the Vice-President elect continuing to cause controversy for the incoming administration the transition teams continued to quietly go about the business of filling key roles both in the cabinet and in the White House staff.

This morning’s announcement focused on the latter with a number of important roles being confirmed. The position of White House Press Secretary will be filled by Cassie Tatum, who worked as a spokesperson on the campaign. Tatum previously worked as a White House communications intern before joining the Seaborn campaign and most recently was the Deputy Communications Director for California Governor Abbie Heilemann.

On top of the appointment of Tatum, it was confirmed that John Edwards and Katy Clements will served as Deputy Communications Directors reporting to Mark Sterns who was confirmed as the White House Communications Director last month.

On top of the communications team it was confirmed that White House Chief of Staff Will Bailey would be supplemented by Kevin De Vost as Deputy Chief of Staff and Senior Advisor for Policy and that Amy Gardner, former White House Director of Legislative Affairs would return in the role of Assistant to the President and Senior Advisor.

In a separate announcement it was confirmed that Dion Copley, Seaborn’s Senate Chief of Staff will take on the same role in the office of the First Lady.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018 at 10:28 AM
  11. Pastor Dean Active Member

Nice to see Amy Gardner making an appearance (or is it a re-appearance??) again!!!

ajm8888 likes this.
  12. Pastor Dean Active Member

Wouldn't it be nice to see a new version of TWW on broadcast media with these people in place with a new Seaborn administration? Wonder what it would take for anything like this to actually happen?

13. Marky Bunny Well-Known Member

As I said a few weeks ago, if Warner Bro want to make me an offer for the story rights they can:openedeyewink:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018 at 11:36 AM
    Tim Thomason, Bad'Wolf and ajm8888 like this.
  14. KingCrawa Prayed for by a brace of Monks

Will we be getting cast pictures for these characters??

ajm8888 likes this.
  15. Marky Bunny Well-Known Member

John Edwards, the new White House Deputy Communications Director, seen here at a Democratic fundraiser in Texas in 2015
    [​IMG]
    (photo by Billy Miller-MountainDew17's casting)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018 at 11:55 AM
    ajm8888 likes this.
  16. disputed Well-Known Member

upload_2018-12-7_16-45-10.png
    White House Press Secretary Cassie Tatum

ajm8888 likes this.
  17. ajm8888 That Guy from Minnesota

Well, SNL and Studio 60 will make fun of her.

18. Mysterion Alterninaut

What about Ed and Larry? :)

19. Arrowfan237 Well-Known Member

Oh you didn’t hear? Ed caught Larry with his wife and it turned into a murder/suicide. Very tragic story.

20. Excelsior Time's arrow marches forward

This is the last we heard from them, six years ago.