2018 Presidential Election

mspence

Banned
As far as Mexico is concerned...maybe a particularly brutal attack happens against Americans or American law enforcement on the border, or an assassination attempt on an important official in the Justice Department, leads to a controversial decision by Seaborn (perhaps supported by Hollis) to use the US military against the cartels after declaring them to be terrorists as well as criminals...

NBS.COM
Friday November 30th 2018

Vice-President Elect Hollis to be interviewed live on NBS on Tuesday Evening

NBS will broadcast live this coming Tuesday evening a live interview with Vice-President Elect Franklin Hollis. He will be questioned by NBS Senior Political Editor Mark Bunn. Hollis despite being on the winning ticket has been probably the most contentious VP pick since the mess the Democrats got themselves into back in 1994 when all the main contenders turned the job down, and at the last minute it was handed to former Maryland Governor Barry Goodwin.

Hollis has come under increasing pressure even since the election victory, and this interview seems a clear indication that the incoming Seaborn administration wants to clear the air, and alley the serious concerns that have been raised by the state party leadership in Minnesota, New York and Massachusetts.

Here's the first infobox for the incoming cabinet. Will post periodic updates as more nominees are announced.

9CjL76X.png

Former President George H.W Bush died today, what will happen to his West Wing counterpart?

Well, given human mortality, he'll probably die eventually as well.

nbs.com, Monday December 3rd

Former Illinois Senator is Seaborn Nominee For Attorney General; Kroft Tapped for Agriculture

upload_2018-12-3_11-3-58.png

George Montgomery, who retired as Senator for Illinois in 2016, has been confirmed as President-Elect Sam Seaborn’s pick to be Attorney General.

Montgomery who retired after serving four terms in the Senate was formerly the Attorney General of his home state and Chaired the Judiciary Committee for four years when his party held the majority.

In this morning’s press release the transition team also confirmed that former Michigan Congresswoman Karen Kroft would be the selection for Agriculture Secretary. Kroft sparked controversy in 2002 when she proposed introducing a gasoline tax but in recent years has cemented her reputation as the Commision Chair for the Department of Agriculture in Michigan.

Neither candidate is expected to face a particularly difficult confirmation, a fact that will be a relief to Democrats who spent most of the weekend embroiled in the debate over the nomination of former first lady Abigail Bartlet to be Health & Human Services Secretary.

Last edited:
NBS.COM
Monday December 3rd 2018

President-Elect Seaborn met with Vice-President's Hoynes & Russell

President-Elect Sam Seaborn had separate two hour meetings with both of President Bartlet's Vice-President's John Hoynes and Robert Russell over the weekend.

According to a press release from the transition team "The President-Elect enjoyed two two hour meetings with John Hoynes and Robert Russell" which took place at Blair House where the President Elect is living in Washington prior to the Inauguration in January.

From normally reliable sources, NBS understands that John Hoynes has been pushing hard for a job for his former Media & Communications Director when he was Texas Governor, John Edwards. Edwards who served as a contributor and commentator on the 2018 campaign for NBS has been working as a freelance Media Consultant since Hoynes left the Governors Mansion in Austin in January 2017.

Last edited:
upload_2018-12-3_13-6-19.png

politico.com, Monday December 3rd

Former Majority Leader Will Be Housing & Urban Development Secretary

upload_2018-12-3_13-7-19.png

Congressman Mark Richardson, one of the most prominent Africa American politicians of the last thirty years, has been confirmed as President-Elect Sam Seaborn’s nominee for Housing & Urban Development Secretary.

In the latest in a series of cabinet announcement Seaborn described Richardson as “a giant of American political life” adding that he brought the kind of “life and political experience that very few can combine.”

Richardson, who has chaired the Congressional Black Caucus for the last ten years and briefly ran for President in 2014 has represented New York’s 11th district for the last 34 years and leaves behind what the President-Elect described as an “enormous legacy.”

The Congressman was an earlier supporter of the President-Elect – a fact that some attributed to his ongoing feud with Seaborn’s chief rival, Senator Andrew Thorn – and was reportedly “delighted” at the opportunity to take a place in the cabinet.

Karen Kroft? What's she been doing since she couldn't be head of the National Parks service?
Kroft sparked controversy in 2002 when she proposed introducing a gasoline tax but in recent years has cemented her reputation as the Commision Chair for the Department of Agriculture in Michigan.

Some odds and ends:

-In researching information for Sam's presidential infobox, I found that in the first draft of the pilot script, he is stated to be 31 years old. Since the first year of the Bartlet administration is 1999, this puts him at being born in 1968. I consider this a bit more canonical than our own approximations of his age, so I'm creating his infobox with his birth year as 1968, making him currently 50 years old (4 years younger than Rob Lowe). That also means that Sam will be TTL's first Gen X-er president (Santos was born in 1961, which is usually considered the tail end of the Baby Boomers).

-I plan to update the "proposed cabinet" infobox periodically until Sam is done building his cabinet.

-I was briefly considering making an infobox listing the Deans of the House of Representatives, but decided it would be kind of extra for such a ceremonial office. So here's the list of Deans with some footnotes:

Deans of the US House of Representatives
42. 1979-1981: Jamie Whitten (D-MS) (seniority date: January 3, 1941) [1]
43. 1981-1988: Charles Melvin Price (D-IL) (seniority date: January 3, 1945) [2]
44. 1988-1993: Charles E. Bennett (D-NC) (seniority date: January 3, 1949)
45. 1993-1995: Jack Brooks (D-TX) (seniority date: January 3, 1953) [3]
46. 1995-2001: Arthur Short (R-PA) (seniority date: January 3, 1953) [4]
47. 2001-2011: Cal Tillinghouse (D-TX) (seniority date: November 8, 1966) [5]
48. 2011-2013: Edward Giles (D-MA) (seniority date: January 3, 1967)
49. 2013-2019: Henry Wade (D-CA) (seniority date: September 8, 1968)
50. 2019-0000: Arthur Carney (D-OR) (seniority date: January 3, 1969) [6]

[1]- IOTL Whitten served as Dean until retiring in 1994. It's been established that a fictional character took over his seat (MS-01) in the 1980 election, so his long tenure as Dean is limited to one term ITTL.

[2]- The first in a series of RL politicians who never became House dean. Died in office.

[3]- Brooks is the last RL political figure on this list. He also holds the record for most senior representative to lose a general election in the US House.

[4]- Since ties in seniority in the House of Representatives are broken by last name, Short follows Brooks despite both entering office at the same time.

[5]- It was previously established that Tillinghouse and Giles took office during the same election. However, this would not work because of the aforementioned rules regarding surname order breaking ties that would mean Tillinghouse would never become dean. Instead, I've put in that Tillinghouse won his seat in 1966 in a concurrent special and general election, meaning he took office that day. This allows him to have an edge over Giles in seniority and thus keep the previous posts listing him as Dean before he retired in 2010.

[6]- Should anything happen to Carney, his successor as Dean would be...HUD Secretary-designate Mark Richardson.

Public Service Announcement
This story is TEN YEARS OLD today.
It was started on a wet Thursday afternoon when I was at home suffering with the flu. Little did I know that one single post would change my life and the story that I started would still be going a decade later.
It's been a hell of a ride, 3 Presidential Elections let alone 1 (my original goal was to get to the 2010 Election then call it a day).
Many thanks to everyone who has helped in this especially Disputed who joined a few months after we started in March 2009. I cannot praise him enough and without him I would have ended this many, many years ago.
On this past election cycle I would also like to thank lord caedus for his excellent wiki boxes and other graphics, and MountainDew17 for his suggestions and help in the creation of new character John Edwards.
As a wise man once said "Decisions are made by those who show up".
Again many thanks
Right
"What's Next".
Mark

Public Service Announcement
This story is TEN YEARS OLD today.
It was started on a wet Thursday afternoon when I was at home suffering with the flu. Little did I know that one single post would change my life and the story that I started would still be going a decade later.
It's been a hell of a ride, 3 Presidential Elections let alone 1 (my original goal was to get to the 2010 Election then call it a day).
Many thanks to everyone who has helped in this especially Disputed who joined a few months after we started in March 2009. I cannot praise him enough and without him I would have ended this many, many years ago.
On this past election cycle I would also like to thank lord caedus for his excellent wiki boxes and other graphics, and MountainDew17 for his suggestions and help in the creation of new character John Edwards.
As a wise man once said "Decisions are made by those who show up".
Again many thanks
Right
"What's Next".
Mark

Wow, 10 years. A couple of posts that's turned into an entire world of political developments and a story that hopefully everyone can continue to enjoy for some time to come.

I normally leave these things to Mark, but I wanted to offer my thanks to him for letting me be in this with him for a decade and for always being a good sport even when we've disagreed on direction, characters, election results (yes there have been a few disagreements....).

Thanks also to everyone else who has read over the years, we've got no intention to stop just yet and are always open to more contributions and inputs - especially if you've got the time and patience to write policy articles :)

Onwards, upwards, and welcome to the Seaborn Administration.

Last edited:
I normally leave these things to Mark, but I wanted to offer my thanks to him for letting me be in this with him for a decade and for always being a good sport even when we've disagreed on direction, characters, election results (yes there have been a few disagreements....).
Disagree never:)
It has been what a good writing partnership should be, good ideas and different angles from each of us, but we have never fallen out.
It has been a pleasure.

The first post from the orginial thread, including a spelling mistake!!:)

The idea is that we follow the last two yaesr of the West Wing Santos Adminstration as well as following the Republican nomination battle. Going on the basis of our own world, the Republican Canidadtes would be soon getting to announce their intentions to run.
The Front Runners for the Republican Nomination are listed below(all are people that appeared or mentioned during the series).
Governor Ray Sullivan of West Virginia
Leaves office in January after eight years in office.Popular with both Dems and Republicans.Was Vinick's running mate in 2006, as he is widely seen as a "Vinick Republican" moderate apart from abortion. Expected to annouce in early January. The clear front runner.
Governor Eric Swenson of Florida
Elected in 2004 to replace the 2002 Republican Candiadate for President Robert Ritchie. Easily won re-election in November. More popular and again more moderate than Ritchie, but is very wary of running for President after what happened to Ritchie in 2002.
Governor Edward Pratt of Tennessee
Two term Governor who ends his term in January 2009. Popular Governor from the right of the party.
Senate Majority Leader, Robert Royce of Pennsylvannia
The moderate Majority leader who is believed to offered his services to Vinick as a running mate in 2006. Belived by many to have no chance.
Congressman and former Speaker of the House Jeff Haffley from Washington
Speaker of the house from 2003 to 2006 until the Republicans lost control of the House. On the right of the Party. Looks certain to run.
Of the candidates that ran in 2006, it is looks unlikely that any of those candidates will run.

Just a note: Shannon is not just a retired General, but I made him Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff (succeeding Alexander retroactively from 2007 to 2013, when he was apparently succeeded by Raymond Hegland).

The timeline of the CJCS is apparently this:
14. Admiral Percy Fitzwallace (USN) - October 1, 1997 to September 30, 2003

15. General Nicholas Dwight Alexander (USA) - October 1, 2003 to September 30, 2007

16. General John Frazier Shannon III (USAF) - October 1, 2007 to September 30, 2013

17. General Raymund Hegland (USMC) - October 1, 2013 to September 30, 2017 (probably)

18. Your Guess is as Good as Mine (USCG) - October 1, 2017 to Present

Shannon was given a biography that stated he exceeded Fitzwallace's stay in office by one day (Fitz demonstrably serving three two-year terms, which is not really something that happens in real-life). Given that Shannon serves over two leap years ('08 and '12) vs. Fitz one leap year (2000), this adds up.

Just a note: Shannon is not just a retired General, but I made him Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff (succeeding Alexander retroactively from 2007 to 2013, when he was apparently succeeded by Raymond Hegland).

15. General Nicholas Dwight Alexander (USA) - October 1, 2003 to September 30, 2007

16. General John Frazier Shannon III (USAF) - October 1, 2007 to September 30, 2013

17. General Raymund Hegland (USMC) - October 1, 2013 to September 30, 2017 (probably)

Shannon was given a biography that stated he exceeded Fitzwallace's stay in office by one day (Fitz demonstrably serving three two-year terms, which is not really something that happens in real-life). Given that Shannon serves over two leap years ('08 and '12) vs. Fitz one leap year (2000), this adds up.
Well while I would love there to be a female CJCS right now I find that unlikely.

If I had to place a bet on the current CJCS Army or Navy.
Vice Chairman will be another of the four services.

Note that I had thought of putting "Former Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff" in Shannon's entry for the Seaborn cabinet box, but given that Mattis & Kelly IOTL were referred to by their rank rather than last office/command held.

Also, this reminds me that the Senate will need to pass a waver to confirm Shannon since he's only been out of active duty for five years and there's a statutory retirement that the Secretary of Defense be retired at least seven years from active duty if s/he's been in the military.

I don't think the current CJCS would be a Coast Guard officer. Their commandant isn't even a member of the Joint Chiefs.