2018 Presidential Election

This works out best for Seaborn. Had Hunter resigned, Seaborn would have had to pick a new Vice President now. That would be subject to Senate confirmation. With the Republicans in control, they could do what they did to Bartlett in 2003. They could stop him from picking a strong pick that they are afraid to run against in 2026. He can name a new running mate at the DNC and that is not subject to Senate confirmation.

Tc9ooaA.png

Sunday, December 13th, 2020

Seaborn issues first pardons and commutations of presidency

President Sam Seaborn has pardoned ten people convicted of federal crimes, and commuted the sentences of two more, the first time in his presidency that he has used his office's power to issue pardons and commutations. Deputy White House Press Secretary Tom Thurgood said that the president has pardoned ten men and women convicted of federal crimes, while commuting the sentences of two others currently serving life imprisonment.

Thurgood said that the ten men and women, who were convicted on non-violent federal crimes ranging from drug possession to forging a United States Postal Service money order, had all "served their sentences, expressed contrition and have exhibited no inclination towards re-offending." The two people given commutations of their sentence, similarly had exhibited "remorse for their actions and demonstrated tremendous personal growth while incarcerated for life sentences." One of the two pardoned prisoners, Teresa Marie LaBondt, sentenced to life imprisonment without the possibility of parole for drug trafficking and money laundering in 1997, has since become a certified hospice worker and earned a master's degree in social work while incarcerated.

The Office of the Pardon Attorney said that LaBondt, and another federal prisoner, Tom Hines, were "model prisoners, in the opinion of the Office of the Pardon Attorney...posed no risk to their communities if released". Hines, similarly serving life imprisonment for a series of drug offenses he committed in the 1990s, has made progress towards becoming an ordained minister.

All pardoned individuals' offenses were committed prior to 2005, with one pardoned individual, Lloyd Grunfeld, having been convicted in 1970 of violating liquor laws on federal property. Most of them were not sentenced to jail, instead given probation and/or made to pay restitution.

Tc9ooaA.png

Sunday, December 13th, 2020

Seaborn issues first pardons and commutations of presidency

President Sam Seaborn has pardoned ten people convicted of federal crimes, and commuted the sentences of two more, the first time in his presidency that he has used his office's power to issue pardons and commutations. Deputy White House Press Secretary Tom Thurgood said that the president has pardoned ten men and women convicted of federal crimes, while commuting the sentences of two others currently serving life imprisonment.

Thurgood said that the ten men and women, who were convicted on non-violent federal crimes ranging from drug possession to forging a United States Postal Service money order, had all "served their sentences, expressed contrition and have exhibited no inclination towards re-offending." The two people given commutations of their sentence, similarly had exhibited "remorse for their actions and demonstrated tremendous personal growth while incarcerated for life sentences." One of the two pardoned prisoners, Teresa Marie LaBondt, sentenced to life imprisonment without the possibility of parole for drug trafficking and money laundering in 1997, has since become a certified hospice worker and earned a master's degree in social work while incarcerated.

The Office of the Pardon Attorney said that LaBondt, and another federal prisoner, Tom Hines, were "model prisoners, in the opinion of the Office of the Pardon Attorney...posed no risk to their communities if released". Hines, similarly serving life imprisonment for a series of drug offenses he committed in the 1990s, has made progress towards becoming an ordained minister.

All pardoned individuals' offenses were committed prior to 2005, with one pardoned individual, Lloyd Grunfeld, having been convicted in 1970 of violating liquor laws on federal property. Most of them were not sentenced to jail, instead given probation and/or made to pay restitution.
Has there been any major criminal justice reforms during this timeline? Either under Santos or Walken, because I remember that failing to reform criminal justice, especially mandatory minimums, was one of the biggest regrets of Bartlet's presidence.

NBS NEW LOGO.png

Monday December 14th 2020

Preview: The two 2021 gubernatorial races: New Jersey & Virginia

It has been six weeks since the mid-term elections but it should be remembered that two states New Jersey & Virginia will be holding gubernatorial elections next November. Here is a preview at the current state of those two elections.

New Jersey
Incumbent:
Kelly Hoffman (D)
In 2017 Hoffman won a real squeaker with Republican Congressman Jack Fowler. She won by just 356 votes a margin of just 0.01% out of over 2.1 million ballots cast. This time the former Mayor of Newark looks to be in for a far easier race. Hoffman is understood to be on President Seaborn's short-list for a running-mate in 2022, although that will be dependent on a her not only winning a second term, but how is performs on the campaign trail and if she does wins (which is expected) but by how much. It should be remembered that another contender for the vice-presidency Minnesota Governor Jarrod Daniels did win re-election last month, but the fact he only won by a narrow margin against a candidate which was almost un-known state-wide at the start of the race, and performed poorly badly on the campaign trail seems to have severely damaged his chances for the job.
Hoffman's opponent is almost certain to be State Senator Minority Leader Ruth McCabe. McCabe was Congressman Fowler's main primary opponent in 2017, polling a very respectable 28% of the vote in that election. The only other possible Republican candidate, State Congressman Bill Stevenson (who lost the 2018 Senate race to Alex Crossley) announced at the weekend he would not be running and endorsed McCabe.

Virginia
Incumbent: Bobby Tyler (D) * Term limited*
The Commonwealth of Virginia is the only state in the Union which prevents governors from succeeding themselves after a single term of four years, although they can run for a second term after a four year gap. Governor Tyler is like Governor Hoffman in that he also is understood be on the Seaborn short-list for the 2022 vice-presidency. The Democratic nomination battle is going to be between Tyler's Lt. Governor Rachel Cornwall and state Congressman Hugh Harrison who Tyler beat for the nomination in 2017 60% to 40%. Former Senator Brandon Jefferies is also certain to pass this race in favour of a re-match with Rob Buchanan in 2024.
The Republican front-runner seems to be the states former Republican AG Cal Shepherd, with only state Senator Tommy Curtis the other declared candidate. Shepherd seems to be the GOP's only real hope of defeating either Cornwall or Harrison next November, even then it is going to be a very tough race in a state which is trending now towards the Democrats.

Last edited:
Has there been any major criminal justice reforms during this timeline? Either under Santos or Walken, because I remember that failing to reform criminal justice, especially mandatory minimums, was one of the biggest regrets of Bartlet's presidence.
Not on the federal level.

Tc9ooaA.png

Monday, December 14th, 2020

Federal student loan payment, most Section 8 housing evictions frozen

President Sam Seaborn today directed the Department of Education to suspend all payment and interest accrual on all federal student loans until June 1, 2021, and ordered the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) to immediately suspend all evictions for non-payment in housing with renters on federal housing aid.

The president, in a brief exchange with the press announcing his decisions, said that the measures will "ease the financial burden on millions of Americans for several months" and "provide a small economic stimulus."

President Seaborn was empowered to order such actions by the SERA (Stimulus and Economic Relief for America) Act, the bipartisan compromise legislation that also extended federal unemployment insurance, temporarily loosened restrictions for programs that provide direct financial aid to individuals, expanded tax credits and temporarily cut federal income taxes.

HUD Secretary Mark Richardson, in a follow-up press conference, said the department would waive renter contributions for January and February 2021, as the act empowers them to do, and reiterated that veterans receiving federal housing vouchers would be exempt from eviction for non-payment until December 1, 2021. The order does allow for evictions for violating rental agreements or non-payment portions of the voucher they received.

In New Jersey, Hoffman winning a second term will break the streak. If I am not mistaken, every governor since Kate Crossley has been a one termer.

In the light of today's events in the real world of Presidential Elections and the Electoral college, I have a few fun comparisons with our 2018 Election.
Only three states voted differently in 2020 to our 2018 election. These were Arizona, New Mexico & Georgia. They all voted for Shallick in our story but voted for Joe Biden this year, that isn't a bad projection. Also in the two states which give electoral college votes by Congressional district two were different, Maine 2nd Congressional district voted for Seaborn in 2018 but voted for Trump this year. Nebraska's 2nd Congressional district voted for Shallick in 2018 but went for Biden this year. Only 34 electoral votes went differently between the two elections.
I will be doing a more detailed spreadsheet comparing the results which will be done over the coming weeks.

List of Governors of New Jersey
1TQ0KoO.png

All casting up to Pritchard made in the old thread, including then-34 year old Rich Sommer as John Treyman and Josh Malina's dad Bob Saget as Jon Fowler. Kevin Basler (Uncle Joey) was killed in a car accident, in case you were wondering. Long (Jamie Lee Curtis) and Hoffman (Bridget Moynahan) cast by Marky Bunny. Lieutenant Governors named by me. The Lieutenant Governor is elected separately from the Governor, which is why Scarano and Grant have served under multiple governors.

Huh, Well that’s interesting. Not a single governor since 2002 has had more than a single term. Unless the terms or every two years instead of every four.

In the light of today's events in the real world of Presidential Elections and the Electoral college, I have a few fun comparisons with our 2018 Election.
Only three states voted differently in 2020 to our 2018 election. These were Arizona, New Mexico & Georgia. They all voted for Shallick in our story but voted for Joe Biden this year, that isn't a bad projection. Also in the two states which give electoral college votes by Congressional district two were different, Maine 2nd Congressional district voted for Seaborn in 2018 but voted for Trump this year. Nebraska's 2nd Congressional district voted for Shallick in 2018 but went for Biden this year. Only 34 electoral votes went differently between the two elections.
I will be doing a more detailed spreadsheet comparing the results which will be done over the coming weeks.
Does Donald Trump or some version of him exist ITTL?

NBS.COM
Saturday January 5th 2018

Matt Skinner nominated for Secretary of Transportation

President Elect Seaborn continued putting to together the final touches to his Cabinet today by announcing that a second Republican would be nominated in former Vermont Senator and Congressman Matt Skinner to Secretary of Transportation, alongside Washington Governor Sean Boone and of course the now Vice-President elect Jack Hunter.

Skinner was highly respected by former White House Chief of Staffs Leo McGarry and Josh Lyman. The moderate Skinner who is gay was considered for the role by President Walken administration two years ago but decided he wanted another shot at the Senate in which failed narrowly last November.
A openly gay former Presidential candidate nominated for Transportation Secretary.
Then almost two years later, I read this...
Some times you couldn't make this up, as a openly gay former Presidential candidate nominated for Transportation Secretary.

A openly gay former Presidential candidate nominated for Transportation Secretary.
Then almost two years later, I read this...
Some times you couldn't make this up, as a openly gay former Presidential candidate nominated for Transportation Secretary.
Where your time machine?! :winkytongue:

List of Governors of New Jersey
1TQ0KoO.png

All casting up to Pritchard made in the old thread, including then-34 year old Rich Sommer as John Treyman and Josh Malina's dad Bob Saget as Jon Fowler. Kevin Basler (Uncle Joey) was killed in a car accident, in case you were wondering. Long (Jamie Lee Curtis) and Hoffman (Bridget Moynahan) cast by Marky Bunny. Lieutenant Governors named by me. The Lieutenant Governor is elected separately from the Governor, which is why Scarano and Grant have served under multiple governors.
As someone who is involved in New Jersey politics and who holds Thomas Kean in high regard I'm curious as to what your rationale is in denying him a second term considering he won by reelection the largest margin in the state's history (70% of the statewide vote and 62% of the black vote for a Reagan era Republican is an incredibly hard thing to turn around).

Although there is one way you could make it work that comes from Kean himself ;)

As someone who is involved in New Jersey politics and who holds Thomas Kean in high regard I'm curious as to what your rationale is in denying him a second term considering he won by reelection the largest margin in the state's history (70% of the statewide vote and 62% of the black vote for a Reagan era Republican is an incredibly hard thing to turn around).

Although there is one way you could make it work that comes from Kean himself ;)
I did not make that decision, it was done in the old thread over 8 years ago. Had it been up to me I would have agreed with you. The only explanation I can think of is that the 85 election took place in the shadow of the Reagan crisis and the 86 presidential election.

I did not make that decision, it was done in the old thread over 8 years ago. Had it been up to me I would have agreed with you. The only explanation I can think of is that the 85 election took place in the shadow of the Reagan crisis and the 86 presidential election.
Well, Kean said he wouldn't run for a second term unless his wife and children were all onboard. Mrs. Kean and their twin boys were all for it but his daughter wasn't at first. That's why Kean was holding out on announcing longer than usual. Eventually Alexandra told her father when he was tucking her in one night that he should run becasue she thought he'd "be very unhappy" if he didn't.

Ok so, having Alexandra Kean remain opposed to her father running again makes for a one term Kean, but considering the scale of his win and how hard the state legislature swung from Democratic to Republican, I still don't see how Kean is succeeded by a Democrat unless it's super close and there's a lot of missteps by whoever the GOP candidate is.