2018 Presidential Election

....and while we will find out after the debates which argument is winning "continuity Bartlet" or "continuity Walken" Roll on Election Day!

Does anyone know if there are presidential debates scheduled? Maybe I missed the memo, but nothing on debates. Did CPD (commission on Presidential debates) decide on dates or venue's yet? Also will be interested on the content on Gault speech tonight. Will he be advocating for unity? Bet GlenAllen Walken must be whooping it up big time! with Henry Shallick winning the nomination.

upload_2017-2-8_14-55-36-png.307359

Thursday July 26th 2018

Gault "I am voting for Shallick" as he urges Burke not to run as an independent

Kansas Governor Peter Gault told his supporters that he intended to vote for Henry Shallick and that they should do as well because the "thought of President Seaborn was far to terrible to contemplate".

"We all suffer disappointments in life, but it is the strength of Americans that we get on with our life's and go again" adding "this election was never about my nomination or Governor Shallick nomination it is about stopping that ultra-liberal Sam Seaborn going back to the White House, did you know he used to work there by the way" which drew laughs from the convention "last week in Cleveland the Democrats said they didn't want me in the White House, well they got there wih, but I tell you something, I don't want Seaborn within a hundred miles of it, to return as to the bad old days, of high taxes, big spending, big government, I am going to vote for Henry Shallick and you should as well".

He also urged his old friend former Alabama Governor Wesley Burke to drop his idea of running for President as an independent "I say now to Governor Burke, I know you are disappointed, but I wasn't stitched up for the nomination last night, I lost fair and square, that's politics, I cannot, in good conscience, stand around while the party is further divided. I know that Wes means well, but I would respectfully ask that he set aside his independent run. It would only serve to hand Seaborn and the Liberal Democrats the White House".

Last edited:

Thursday July 26th 2018

Hunter vows the convention with passionate speech

Minnesota Senator Jack Hunter vowed the third night of the Republican nomination with a fiery passionate speech after he was confirmed as Henry Shallick's running-mate.

"To be chosen for this role is a great responbality, I am going to give everything I have in the next 105 days to get Henry Shallick, elected our next President. We cannot afford to let that ultra-liberal Seaborn back in the White House, as Governor Gault said earlier, did you know folks, he used to work at the White House" which continued a running joke mocking Senator Seaborn's speeches if which he always cites his working for President's Bartlet and Santos.

He also attacked those in the Democratic party playing "identity politics", "you are LGBTQ you must vote Democrat, otherwise you are a traitor to that community, you are Afro-American, you have to vote Democrat, you are Latino you have to vote Democrat, well it doesn't work like that. We are not the enemy of the American people, nor are the vast majority of people that will vote for Senator Sebaorn, but I have had enough of putting people in these boxes and giving them nice labels by the Democrats".

He also attacked the Democrats for always wanting to put America down in the world "Whatever the faults of this country, whatever her imperfections, however unfeeling some our her actions might seem to be, these United States of America has done the right thing by the world far more often than not. The world is a far better place for it".

Does anyone know if there are presidential debates scheduled? Maybe I missed the memo, but nothing on debates. Did CPD (commission on Presidential debates) decide on dates or venue's yet? Also will be interested on the content on Gault speech tonight. Will he be advocating for unity? Bet GlenAllen Walken must be whooping it up big time! with Henry Shallick winning the nomination.

1. First Presidential Debate Sunday September 23rd, Format: "Vinick style open debate"
  2. Vice-Presidential Debate Sunday October 7th, Format: "Round-table debate" (eg candidates sat down at a table)
  3. Second Presidential Debate Monday October 15h Format: "Town-Hall debate"
  4. Third Presidential Debate Wednesday October 24th Format: "Podium debate, half on Domestic policy & half on Foreign policy"
Not done the venues yet.

Sam Seaborn has a fight on his hands, look forward to hearing Henry Shallick's acceptance speech, perhaps he will have a Reaganesque theme, "morning in America" and all that. Walken I guess is likely to introduce Shallick to delegates, nice touch, one Missouri guy handing the baton off to another Missouri guy. Any idea on the venues & date's of the presidential debates & Vice Presidential debate? Who is actually running Shallick's campaign, I'd suggest that whoever it is, that a pow-wow be arranged with C.J. Gregg to hammer out the debate details. I guess Josh Lyman is out, I think he would have been a better Campaign manager, he and Sam have a long history together, like the Bartlet-McGarry relationship. Lyman had experience of running a winning campaign before, remember Matt Santos & wasn't it he who enticed Sam Seaborn to join Jed Bartlet's campaign back in 1997? (Shadow of Gunmen), so don't know why C.J. Gregg ended up in hot seat, she would have been better serving in the role of a Senior advisor (like Valerie Jarrett was to Obama in OTL). I hardly imagine that she be doing another stint as WHCOS, but then again It can happen (James Baker had that role in OTL, once under Ronald Reagan & again during the last year of the GHWB presidency in 1992-93). Interesting time's ahead.

Sam Seaborn has a fight on his hands, look forward to hearing Henry Shallick's acceptance speech, perhaps he will have a Reaganesque theme, "morning in America" and all that. Walken I guess is likely to introduce Shallick to delegates, nice touch, one Missouri guy handing the baton off to another Missouri guy. Any idea on the venues & date's of the presidential debates & Vice Presidential debate? Who is actually running Shallick's campaign, I'd suggest that whoever it is, that a pow-wow be arranged with C.J. Gregg to hammer out the debate details. I guess Josh Lyman is out, I think he would have been a better Campaign manager, he and Sam have a long history together, like the Bartlet-McGarry relationship. Lyman had experience of running a winning campaign before, remember Matt Santos & wasn't it he who enticed Sam Seaborn to join Jed Bartlet's campaign back in 1997? (Shadow of Gunmen), so don't know why C.J. Gregg ended up in hot seat, she would have been better serving in the role of a Senior advisor (like Valerie Jarrett was to Obama in OTL). I hardly imagine that she be doing another stint as WHCOS, but then again It can happen (James Baker had that role in OTL, once under Ronald Reagan & again during the last year of the GHWB presidency in 1992-93). Interesting time's ahead.
I have posted the dates and debate formats a few minutes ago above your post I have just got to decide on the venues.

Thursday July 26th 2018

Gault "I am voting for Shallick" as he urges Burke not to run as an independent

Kansas Governor Peter Gault told his supporters that he intended to vote for Henry Shallick and that they should do as well because the "thought of President Seaborn was far to terrible to contemplate".

"We all suffer disappointments in life, but it is the strength of Americans that we get on with our life's and go again" adding "this election was never about my nomination or Governor Shallick nomination it is about stopping that ultra-liberal Sam Seaborn going back to the White House, did you know he used to work there by the way" which drew laughs from the convention "last week in Cleveland the Democrats said they didn't want me in the White House, well they got there wih, but I tell you something, I don't want Seaborn within a hundred miles of it, to return as to the bad old days, of high taxes, big spending, big government, I am going to vote for Henry Shallick and you should as well".

He also urged his old friend former Alabama Governor Wesley Burke to drop his idea of running for President as an independent "I say now to Governor Burke, I know you are disappointed, but I wasn't stitched up for the nomination last night, I lost fair and square, that's politics, I cannot, in good conscience, stand around while the party is further divided. I know that Wes means well, but I would respectfully ask that he set aside his independent run. It would only serve to hand Seaborn and the Liberal Democrats the White House".

I don't think Robert Richardson has a chance of becoming President does he?

As has been mentioned before Josh was in the hot seat as you put it, and the Seaborn campaign was being kicked all over the electoral map by Andrew Thorne. That's why Josh stepped aside. It's all in the previous thread.

You are correct there. Perhaps Josh Lyman was better suited in a climate where Matt Santos wasn't being confronted by a more liberal candidate. Thorn I think is a tad more liberal than Seaborn, more from the progressive gene pool. In 2006, Santos was the more liberal candidate in his battle with Bingo Bob, so Josh Lyman got to manage the campaign he liked. If it was Seaborn against a more conservative contender, then Lyman would be doing a deja vu of 2006. Would I be correct in my analysis?

BBC.CO.UK/Politics
Thursday July 26th 2018

Former Prime-Ministers Graty & Carter to leave House of Commons

The Conservative party has confirmed that former Prime-Ministers Maureen Graty and Andrew Carter will not seek re-election to the House of the Commons at the General election on September 6th.

Graty has been MP for Hendon since 1979 and served as Prime-Minister from 2004 to 2007. Andrew Carter has been MP for Leeds North-East since 1987 an served as Prime-Minister from April 2011 to March 2015, before standing down following a stroke in December 2014. Graty won her seat the last election with a 29,890 majority whilst Carter who fought the last election as Prime-Minister who won his seat with a 13,100 majority.

Last edited:
You are correct there. Perhaps Josh Lyman was better suited in a climate where Matt Santos wasn't being confronted by a more liberal candidate. Thorn I think is a tad more liberal than Seaborn, more from the progressive gene pool. In 2006, Santos was the more liberal candidate in his battle with Bingo Bob, so Josh Lyman got to manage the campaign he liked. If it was Seaborn against a more conservative contender, then Lyman would be doing a deja vu of 2006. Would I be correct in my analysis?

Other way around. Thorne was running the more conservative, business orientated one might almost say Walkenite campaign, while Josh and Ryan Pierce were running a standard 2002 era style Bartlet campaign. It was only after Sam pivoted to the left under new campaign manager Marc Chorley - as demonstated by his tax the rich argument - that he started to win again.

You are also - if you don't mind me saying so - falling into a trap a lot of West Wing fans do. Now I love Josh, he's one of my favourite characters, but it becomes fairly obvious after watching the show two or three times, that his much vaunted reputation as one of the biggest brains in the Democratic Party is mostly that. Reputation. I mean yes he racks up some impressive victories - getting the first female Chief Justice, the Walk to the Hill etc - but he also screws up a fair few times too. Chris Carrick for example. In fact in the very first episode he's in danger of being fired for letting his mouth run away with him. And frankly without Donna he'd have long since set up a house in the Mid West.

You seem to be forgetting that the Santos campaign was stalling badly in show, right up until the time that Josh let Santos off the leash and let him do his own thing. Josh is good, but he isn't God.

I will be interested to see how C.J. manages the Seaborn campaign until election day.

Better to ask how Marc Chorley will. Having checked he's the campaign manager.

Presidential Debates and Venues
  1. First Presidential Debate Sunday September 23rd, Format: "Vinick style open debate" : Centre College, Danville, Kentucky
  2. Vice-Presidential Debate Sunday October 7th, Format: "Round-table debate" (eg candidates sat down at a table): Longwood University, Farmville, Virginia
  3. Second Presidential Debate Monday October 15h Format: "Town-Hall debate": Hofstra University, Hempstead, New York
  4. Third Presidential Debate Wednesday October 24th Format: "Podium debate, half on Domestic policy & half on Foreign policy": Arizona State University, Phoenix, Arizona

Last edited:
You are also - if you don't mind me saying so - falling into a trap a lot of West Wing fans do. Now I love Josh, he's one of my favourite characters, but it becomes fairly obvious after watching the show two or three times, that his much vaunted reputation as one of the biggest brains in the Democratic Party is mostly that. Reputation. I mean yes he racks up some impressive victories - getting the first female Chief Justice, the Walk to the Hill etc - but he also screws up a fair few times too. Chris Carrick for example. In fact in the very first episode he's in danger of being fired for letting his mouth run away with him. And frankly without Donna he'd have long since set up a house in the Mid West.

You seem to be forgetting that the Santos campaign was stalling badly in show, right up until the time that Josh let Santos off the leash and let him do his own thing. Josh is good, but he isn't God.
I agree. Josh was always my favorite character and in my view was probably the best acted/funniest character after Bartlet. He did screw up more times than succeed, though. First time watching the show just shows you how great the characters are and the plots. Only during repeated viewing do you see their flaws and the more nuanced aspects of their personality.

Wow! here I was thinking Thorn was the more liberal Democrat, go figure. So what's C.J. Cregg's role again? Does she set overall strategy or what? I seem to remember that she and Josh were butting heads a lot. Marc Chorley must be good if he's running the campaign shop & how the hell did he end up running the Seaborn campaign? So who's running the Shallick outfit? He or she has to be good if they could steal a March on Gault. I guess Jack Hunter won't be comfortable in the "attack dog" mode, savaging his Senate colleague Sam Seaborn. This a pretty awesome thread. Speaking of Josh & Donna, is she involved in politics or a stay at home mom?

Henry Shallick Republican Presidential Nomination Acceptance Speech

Date: Thursday, July 26th, 2018

Venue: Amalie Arena

Speaker: Former Governor of Missouri Henry Shallick

Thank you, thank you. Mr. Chairman, delegates, standing before tonight culminates a dream I have had since I was little boy. Tonight, it is my solemn privilege to proudly, and humbly, accept your nomination for the Presidency on the United States. In the coming weeks and months, we will wage a campaign that will carry not only the Republican Party, but the American People themselves to another term in the White House. This campaign will spread across the entire nation, from the Florida Keys to the Aleutian Islands. From New York to Los Angeles, from Detroit to San Antonio, and from sea to shining sea. We concede not one single state, we concede not one single vote. That is my pledge to the voters of this nation. We will make clear, to each and every one of you watching at home tonight, that we will continue the steady stewardship that we have demonstrated over the past 7½ years, and we will continue it for another four.

Standing here tonight, I cannot help but express the deepest of gratitude to those who have stood by me through this long and grueling race. To my lovely wife Laura, and our beautiful children, you are my rock. I could not have done this without you. I love you.

To be standing here with this great opportunity and this great responsibility I can only say thank you. Thank you for the opportunity to carry on the work of the greatest President of my lifetime, Glen Allen Walken. Mr President, my best friend, my mentor - I would not be standing on this stage without you. Thank you, I love you - I won't let you down, and I won't let the American people down.

To Jack Hunter, my running mate, my partner, and my friend. We have a long crusade ahead of us, and tonight we take the next steps towards the promised land and to do it with a man like you is a privilege, a man who has given his life to public service, either in the United States Navy, as Mayor of St Paul, Minnesota or as a member of the United States Senate. Jack is a man of principle, of strength, of faith and of family and having him, his amazing wife Amy and their three children, Blake, Jett and Lily by my side is an honor.

And, there’s just one more person I have to thank tonight. Over the past few weeks, there has been much uncertainly over the outcome of this convention, and I will confess to you that I too had my doubts about if I would triumph. When this race began, I’m not sure that Peter Gault knew who Peter Gault was. But everyone knows who he is now: a household name. Because of Peter’s tenacity and determination, I am a better candidate. Because he brought issues to the table that no one else was talking about, and because he had the guts to talk about them, we are all better Republicans. Because of his courage and heart, I am not only a better man, but we are all better Americans. If you think that this is the last you’ve seen of Peter Gault, you’re sorely mistaken. Peter represents everything that out party will be in the future. Peter Gault represents the heart and soul of the Republican Party. So, Peter, despite our differences, despite our past, I’m glad that you and I are on the same side once again. From the bottom of my heart, thank you.

For the several years, I had the honor and privilege of serving under President Walken in his cabinet. For 4 years I helped the President do the absolute toughest job on earth. Let’s talk about that job, let’s talk about that President. When he came to office we were in the midst of a Santos inspired depression. A deficit out of control, debt rising by the second, unemployment climbing and growth a forgotten dream. Instead of crisis, the next President will inherit a economy, stronger than it’s been in decades. A tax code reformed to drive growth. Business moving back to the United States for the first time in the 21st century. Truly and American renewal. Mr. President, we thank you, the American people thank you.

And now, on this stand tonight, I ask that you see me for what I am now: The Republican Party’s nominee for President of the United States. And now I turn to the American people to share my hopes and intentions, and why and where I wish to lead.

And so tonight is for big things. But I'll try to be fair to the other side. I'll try to hold my charisma in check and, uh, no, I reject the temptation to engage in personal references. My approach this evening is, as John Adams once spoke, “Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence”.

And, after all, the facts are on our side.

I seek the presidency for a single purpose, a purpose that has motivated millions of Americans across the years and the ocean voyages. I seek the presidency to build a better America. It's that simple and that big.

This election, ladies and gentlemen, is perhaps one of the most important in our history. We’re no longer just looking at two different candidates, we looking at 2 different sets of principles, of ideals, and philosophy for our country.

And what it all comes down to is this: My opponent's view of the world sees a long slow decline for our country, an inevitable fall mandated by impersonal historical forces. But America is not in decline. America is a rising nation.

He sees America as another pleasant country on the U.N. roll call, somewhere between Albania and Zimbabwe. And I see America as the leader, a unique nation with a special role in the world.

The 20th Century was called the American Century because, in it, we were the dominant force for good in the world. We saved Europe, cured polio, went to the moon and lit the world with our culture. And now in the 21st century, what country will bear its name? I say it will be another American century. A New American Century.

Our work is not done; our force is not spent.

There are those who say there isn't much of a difference this year. But America, don't let 'em fool ya.

Two parties this year ask for your support. Both will speak of growth and peace, but only one has proved it can deliver. Two parties this year ask for your trust, but only one has earned it. One party only seeks division, while the other seeks unity.

The differences between us could not be any clearer.

Does government have a place? Yes. Government is part of the nation of communities, not the whole, just a part.

And I don't hate government. A government that remembers that the people are its master is a good and needed thing.

And I respect old-fashioned common sense and have no great love for the imaginings of the social planners. You see, I like what's been tested and found to be true.

For instance, should public school teachers be required to lead our children in the Pledge of Allegiance? My opponent says no, and I say yes.

Should society be allowed to impose the death penalty on those who commit crimes of extraordinary cruelty and violence? My opponent says no, but I say yes.

And should our children have the right to say a voluntary prayer or even observe a moment of silence in the schools? My opponent says no, but I say yes.

And is it right to believe in the sanctity of life and protect the lives of innocent children? My opponent says no, but I say yes.

And should free men and women have a right to own a gun to protect their home? Well you heard last week what my opponent says – he’s coming for the guns. Well I say this quite simply to Senator Seaborn. The second amendment is NOT NEGOTIABLE.

I mentioned earlier, that standing here tonight has been a dream of mine ever since I was a little kid. As you can see, that was a long time and full head of hair ago. A lot has changed since then, much of it for the good. But I’m a member of a generation that didn’t identify itself by who we voted for in the last election. We didn’t care if our neighbors were Democrats or Republicans, because all that matter was that each and every one of us was an American.

Last Week, Carol Gelsey called the Republican Party, “the enemy”, and declared that it was “time to go in for the kill”.

Political talking heads who still live in their mother’s basement calling us fascists because we support law enforcement.

We live in a society where everything gets boiled down to some stupid 3-word phrase. We hear “Black Lives Matter”, “Blue Lives Matter”, & “Support the troops”. Well, Ladies & Gentlemen, can state unequivocally that all of those things are true. I don’t know of anyone that doesn’t support our military, or our police, and I would never associate myself with someone who would just another based on the color of their skin. But ya see, saying all that is hard, whereas screaming some three-world phrase is easy.

And of course, whenever we disagree on something, the answer always seems to be obvious. “That’s offensive”. We’ve turned all facets of our political discourse into a kindergarten screaming match.

We are all better than that. America, is better than that.

If you listen to the other side, they’ll tell you that we hate minorities, and only care about white people. They’ll say “they only care about children when they’re in the whom”. They’ll even throw in, that we hate gay people.

To them, I say this. It was Abraham Lincoln, who freed the slaves. It was Republicans who passed the 20th amendment giving women the right to vote. And in 1964, it was Everett Dirksen and the Senate Republicans who broke the Dixiecrat filibuster of the Civil Rights Act.

To them, I say this. If a child falls asleep every night in the backseat of an abandoned car, or in a cardboard box underneath a bridge, that is just as unacceptable as abortion. Sam Seaborn had 12 years to fix this problem. Yes, in case you haven’t heard it the 300 million times that the Senator says it every day, he worked in the white house for a number of years. And what happened while he was there? More people dropped below the poverty line. Caring about the poor is a good thing, but actually doing something about it is a great thing.

Finally, to them I say this. Matthew Skinner severed for nearly two decades in Congress as a Republican. During this past year alone, both Will Durham and Peter Gault toured San Francisco’s Castro District, where they talked to voters about the real problems that they face, not the fake ones drummed up by Senator Seaborn and his liberal democrat friends in New York and Hollywood. And tonight, I vow that I will also make the pilgrimage to Castro district, because these people deserve to hear my vision for this country directly from me.

Ladies & Gentlemen, over the next four years, America will face a whole new set of problems, serious ones. Challenges both at home and abroad. There will be a great public debate over various issues, and the one thing that America is going to need is someone who will tell it to them like it is. There is no, Democratic America, there is no Liberal America. There is no Republican America, and there is no Conservative America. There is only America.

And as long as there is America, there is hope. Because, I believe tonight as I have believed all my life, that there is nothing wrong in America, that cannot be fixed by what is right in America.

Ladies & Gentlemen, thank you all, so very much. Thank you, God bless you, and God bless America.