2010 US Presidential Election

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I have to ask why Santos is attacking Walken on Foreign Policy, its not exactly the best thing for him to attack because of Vinick. Vinick that won the noble prize, and is probably the lone republican in Santos Cabinet. Vinick who actually caused a bit of a gaffe by agreeing with Walken's policy earlier.

Am I reading it wrong? All Walken would have to do to counteract this ad would be to loop a negative ad of Vinick's gaffe. He could simply do what Ritchie did with Bartlet's MS, make a negative ad and have it be "leaked" putting a retraction out and getting the point across while getting no blame

Ok I have to ask why Santos is attacking Walken on Foreign Policy, its not exactly the best thing for him to attack because of Vinick. Vinick that won the noble prize, and is probably the lone republican in Santos Cabinet. Vinick who actually caused a bit of a gaffe by agreeing with Walken's policy earlier.

Am I reading it wrong? All Walken would have to do to counteract this ad would be to loop a negative ad of Vinick's gaffe. He could simply do what Ritchie did with Bartlet's MS, make a negative ad and have it be "leaked" putting a retraction out and getting the point across while getting no blame

Santos is implying that Walken will be blowing up half the world the minute he's sworn into office. Basically, the scenario is this:
WALKEN: "..... defend the Constitution of the United States, so help me God."
"Alright, hand over the launch codes, we're nuking Tehran, Pyongyang and anyplace else I feel has annoyed me!"

In essence, Santos is trying to make Walken look like Bush did post-Iraq IRL-A gun-toting, trigger-happy redneck with no sophistication who is ready to blow away anyone who pisses him off.

Santos is implying that Walken will be blowing up half the world the minute he's sworn into office. Basically, the scenario is this:
WALKEN: "..... defend the Constitution of the United States, so help me God."
"Alright, hand over the launch codes, we're nuking Tehran, Pyongyang and anyplace else I feel has annoyed me!"

In essence, Santos is trying to make Walken look like Bush did post-Iraq IRL-A gun-toting, trigger-happy redneck with no sophistication who is ready to blow away anyone who pisses him off.

Sadly, Leo isn't around to vouch for that fact.

I've been out-of-commission lately, at the worst possible time I might add, so here's something to hold you over:

New York Times
Senate Debate Occurs Between Daschowitz and Cruger, Outcome Uncertain
Monday, October 25, 2010

The one and only debate between Michael Daschowitz and Jay Cruger occurred last night. As expected, the two seemed fairly well-matched. Daschowitz, a political juggernaut, didn't hold back his contempt for Cruger's views, referencing quotes from "Jay Cruger Country," the television show that the former Congressman ended to run for Senate. Cruger, not a novice himself, did a fairly good job countering most of Daschowitz's points, only failing a couple of times.

The debate had taken a free-form approach, similar but slightly more controlled than the 2006 Presidential debate. Although confined to their podiums, Cruger and Daschowitz spent much of the night talking to each other, although moderator Forrest Sawyer did a good job keeping them on message.

A couple of stumbles on both sides. Cruger paused a bit when trying to answer a health care question, but Daschowitz paused *a lot* when describing how many homes he owns and where his money comes from. Cruger, given his television experience, was the favorite going into the debate, but Daschowitz managed to give a well-nuanced performance, tackling the questions with a bit of charm and unexpected levity.

While the debate was fairly even, the spin room was another question. Daschowitz has never had such a serious Republican opponent before. As such, he was advised by the DNC to have serious names and faces handling spin for the debate. He declined, stating his words would speak for themselves, and all the big names accepted that idea. The only spin the DNC managed to get were the talk show regulars and a one Democratic Party official, Steve Rorsche. Cruger, on the other hand, has faced tough Democratic candidates his entire career. Every single conservative commentator is on his side now, whether it be far-righters like Don Butler or Nash Rockford, or moderates like Taylor Reid. He even had former Vice President Eisenhower on the grounds outside of the debate hall shaking hands with supporters and commenting on the debate as it occurred.

The commentators at MSNBC, where Cruger used to work, are very mixed with the result. Keith Olbermann was unavailable for comment, although he has made anti-Daschowitz comments in the past. In post-debate wrapup, Chris Matthews had a phone conference with frequent guest Josh Lyman, where they both joked around their dislike of Cruger.

The outside activities were some of the amusing elements. In addition to VP Eisenhower's appearance, perennial candidate "Krazy Kenny" Kooper held a mock-debate with a Jay Cruger and Michael Daschowitz puppet while wearing a podium-costume and roller-skating around the area. At one point, he was prevented from getting too close to the Vice President by the security detail.

Daschowitz is currently 3 points ahead of Cruger in polling. It is uncertain whether this debate, with heavy spin toward Cruger but an obvious tie to those viewing, could sway the outcome this close to Election Day.

OOC: Tim, I'm sorry, but I really buggered your old list. I had to move people around. Nothing's changed except locations. I changed it because on the show, it mentions Kimball as a farm country Democrat, so he was taken to the 6th, Rollins to the 9th, and Vector created for the 5th. And I tried to find Rollins on the show but couldn't. Any ideas?

IC:
attachment.php

Part 47 of 50.

From Nebraska we head back down South, to the Volunteer State. That's right, after all this time, we're finally going to one of the most interesting states in the Union, Tennessee!

Tennessee is covered by Jeff Callum, the political reporter for The Tennessean. A Nashville native and son of a record producer, Jeff interned at the Washington Post, and then worked as Press Aide for Congressman (Now Chief of Staff) Nate Singer, before returning home, so he knows both sides of the press. So, let's hand it over to Jeff!

Thanks y'all.
Hey there, and welcome to Tennessee! Now, some of y'all might disregard me due to my past political affiliations, but I assure you that I will be as nonpartisan and fair as possible.

Senator Dan Hammond.
Elected 1988 (As a Democrat); Republican.
Committee Assignments: Appropriations; Budget; Commerce, Science and Transportation; Select Intelligence.
Hammond, like most other Southern Republicans, got his start as a Southern Democrat. Hammond changed parties in 1990, and has risen to become the Vice-Chair of the Republican Conference.
Hammond has always been conservative, and despite his former Democratic status, he's never been the first to the negotiating table. His partisanship and willingness to support Republican candidates has made him very popular with his fellow caucus members. This has earned him the Vice-Chairmanship of the Republican Conference, the 4th-ranking member behind Majority Leader Robert Royce, Whip Seth Randall, and Conference Chairman Bill Armstrong Jr.
Hammond was reelected in 2006 easily, and will probably easily be reelected in 2012.

Senator Patrick Stacy.
Elected 1996, Republican.
Committee Assignments: Energy and Natural Resources; Small Business and Entreprenuership; Health, Education, Labor and Pensions (HELP); Finance.
Stacy, unlike Hammond, is one of the more centrist, pragmatic Senators in the entire Congress-Though only on certain issues. However, Stacy has shown a willingness to trade his votes on issues.
Stacy is a former Mayor, and has always insisted that power go to the states. But he also has said that the government should do what it does well.
Stacy's main issues are education reform (He's the son of a teacher and married to another), energy reform (Particularly in the area of nuclear power, though that position has shifted somewhat in the wake of San Andreo), and health care reform (He's proposed extending what is essentially the Congressional health plan nationwide). He was one of the key votes working for the Santos plans in the Senate, and was also one of the biggest critics when these plans failed, blaming Democratic partisanship. However, he has co-sponsored a bill with South Carolina Democratic Senator Tim McCord working on comprehensive energy reform, which looks like it could be on the President's desk next year-No matter who the President is.
Stacy was easily reelected in 2008, and will be reelected again in 2014.

Tennessee 1st: Alan Spicer.
Elected 1998, Republican.
Committee Assignment: Agriculture; Oversight and Government Reform; International Relations.
Spicer is a deeply religious man, whose faith guides most of his decisions. Unlike some Representatives and the ACA, Spicer is sincere in his convictions, and is willing to work with Democrats on certain issues. He's cosponsored legislation with Democrats dealing with sexual abuse victims and sex crimes, working to smoothen the adoption process (and make adoption a more appealing option than abortion), and to increase the number of tax credits for families. Spicer has spoken out on the loss of morality in America, though again, unlike with Mary Marsh, when Spicer does it, it is out of genuine concern. Spicer is also a devoted family man, having married his high school sweetheart and fathered 4 children. He's said that he is a father first, a politician second, and has also sponsored legislation to increase responsible fatherhood.
Spicer has won everyone of his elections by at least 12 points, and that will not change now.

Tennessee 2nd: Dr. Brett Allen.
Elected 2002, Republican.
Committee Assignment: Energy and Commerce.
Dr. Allen (As he prefers to be known), is one of a few practicing doctors in Congress, like Peter Zelowsky of Maine. Unlike Zelowsky, Allen is a gynecologist, though he's officially retired. Allen has come out as firmly pro-life, no matter what the circumstances, as he said in a campaign appearance, "Having brought a life into this world, having held that newborn in my hands, and thinking of all the promise that it could hold….I am against abortion in all cases, and I think that the process should be banned. It is no better than murder." However, Allen has also advocated for a reform in the health care system, calling it "Grossly inadequate." Other than that, Allen is reliably conservative.

Tennessee 3rd: Percy Barnett.
Elected 2006, Republican.
Committee Assignments: Oversight and Government Reform; Science and Technology.
Barnett is a former firefighter, and has the scars to prove it. He recently came out in favor of the proposed Department of Homeland Security, and has pushed for a more cohesive national response to national disasters, as well as more money for national responders. He's also pushed for more nuclear power, fitting for the representative who represents Oak Ridge. He's also argued for more money for scientific funding.
Aside from those issues, Barnett is a standard Republican Representative.

Tennessee 4th: Harvey Mann.
Elected 2000, Democrat.
Committee Assignments: None (Stripped due to scandal).
Mann was elected following the retirement of Congressman Gratz, in a district that tends to reelect their incumbents at a rapid clip. However, Mann looks like he will break that trend.
Mann was implicated with a credit scam early in 2009, but denied the charges. However, through the combined efforts of a journalists and a federal investigation, Mann was proven to be heavily involved. This has damaged him, and he now faces a 30-point deficit to Sheriff Walt Peterson (Y'know, I've been looking at a lot of races, and I've notice quite a few Peterson's/Petersen's, as well as Preston's, Mark's and Matt's in this election cycle. Curious, no?).
Anyways, before his downfall, Mann was a fairly moderate Democrat, and a determined ally of Mark Sellner (Another one!) I'm guessing that current Speaker Carol Gelsey is not entirely sad to see Mann go.

Tennessee 5th: Jeremy Vector.
Elected 2002, Democrat.
Committee Assignment: Energy and Commerce.
Vector is one of the more interesting men in all of Washington. The founder (And still emeritus Chairman) of Vector Music Systems (VMS), a famous recording studio and creator and designer of recording equipment. Most of the top-flight studios use VMS gear. Anyways, Vector made a bundle, not only providing the equipment for artists and a space for them to work, but also finding talent, bringing them along and ushering them toward stardom. VMS was bought out in 2001 for $1.2 billion by a consortium of NBS and Antares International-And Vector pocketed $60,000,000 while retaining a basic leadership role in VMS, and also acquiring stock options in both NBS and Antares (These have been placed in a blind trust for the duration of Vector's stay in Congress, and the Congressman has agreed to not take donations from either corporation or executives within the company). Vector ran for Congress in 2002 against incumbent Democrat Robert Gladman, and scratched out a win.
Vector's been fairly prominent in his time in Congress. He's an excellent communicator, and the caucus likes to use him as a spokesman. His eye for spotting talent hasn't faded, and his offices, whether at home or in Washington, are filled with the cream of the political crop.
In a somewhat obvious move, Vector is one of the biggest supporters of the entertainment industries, both because of his district and because of intellectual property and copyright laws. This has made him one of the bigger fundraisers from those particular industries, and made Vector a staunch opponent of the Chinese government, who he has bashed for ignoring trade agreements and stealing music. Vector's also worked to shut down illegal downloading sites, but had no problem with iTunes.
Vector's charisma and connections have made him a popular man, but he still tries to make it home as often as possible. He's polling 17 points ahead of his opponent, and looks like he will win big.

Tennessee 6th: John Kimball
Elected 1993 (Special Election), Democrat.
Committee Assignment: Appropriations.
Kimball is a conservative Blue Dog-Has to be with the way this district is structured. He's pro-gun (He owns 5 of them, and got into trouble in '94 for carrying a gun in D.C.), pro-life, against gay marriage in all cases, enforcement for illegal immigration and crime, and pro-military. Kimball has a tendency to hold Democrats hostage for special bargains for his district. Nate Singer, on behalf of the Santos White House, finally had to have a sit-down with Kimball in order to get him to stop (It's believed that this is what brought Singer to the attention of the Santos Administration as a possible CoS).
Kimball has faced tough elections, but always manages to win out. He's facing a Macon County Judge this time, and looks to win again.

Tennessee 7th: Roy Norton.
Elected 1994, Republican.
Committee Assignment: Financial Services.
Norton, reflecting the ideas of his district, is wealthy and socially conservative. He's highly rated by conservative watchdog groups, and despised by liberals. He votes with his party monotonously, and has no friends on the Democratic side of the aisle. In other words, he's a GOP drone. Barnett, Allen, Spicer, Hammond and Stacy are all at least interesting. Norton is not. He'll win reelection without trying, and be in Congress until he dies.

Tennessee 8th: Carolyn Reed.
Elected 1998, Democrat.
Committee Assignment: Transportation and Infrastructure; Agriculture.
Reed is the wife of former Congressman Tanner Reed, who retired in 1998. He's now the Chair of Political Science at the University of Memphis.
Reed is the first woman elected to Congress from Tennessee without having her husband die first, though that distinction is a bit muddled considering the circumstances.
Reed is socially conservative, pro-life, anti-gay marriage, that sort of thing. She's mostly focused on delivering economic aid and federal cash to her constituents, which is pretty much what they want out of their representatives.
Reed has never really faced a tough election, and wins easily.

Tennesee 9th: Richard "Dick" Rollins.
Elected 1984, Democrat.
Committee Assignment: Ways and Means.
Rollins is the most liberal of the Tennessee Delegation, fitting, as he represents Memphis.
Rollins has been a fairly quiet Democrat, but is respected enough to have earned a place on Ways and Means. He was a supporter of Tim Fields for Speaker, and also supported Mark Richardson before switching to Gelsey.
Rollins is retiring at the end of the year, and his replacement is an interesting choice. Isaac Marshall, the District Attorney for Shelby County, has a clear and commanding lead in the polls. Marshall is smart, savvy, and has a great series of ideas that he is willing to implement. My guess is that he will not be your standard freshman Democrat.

Well, that's it for Tennessee. Y'all comeback now, y'hear?

Last edited:
CNN.COM

Monday October 25th 2010

Walken hits back at Santos attack adverts

Glen Walken was in Minnesota today with Governor Michael Jack. Walken believes he stands a real chance of winning the traditional Democratic state in eight days times, most polls in the state, show him locked in a dead heat with the President.
Walken told a rally "These lastest ads, over my comments about Iran, are out of order. I said that if Iran got Nuclear weapons, which they are trying for, and where about to attack us or our allies, then I would protect Americans, as President that is my job".

Last edited:
CNN.COM
Monday October 25th 2010
In Appeal to Hispanics, Santos Promises Immigration Reform in second term

President Santos has always backed away from being the Latio candidate, but as we enter the last of the campaign, the Santos campaign seems to have taken a different track.
Hispanics make up a crucial voting bloc in several battleground states, including Florida, New Mexico and Arizona and Democrats are hoping to pick up voters turned off by anti-immigrant discourse in many down ticket races
In a TV interview that aired in Florida on Monday, President Santos sought to assure Hispanics that he would push an immigration overhaul if re-elected“If Latinos sit out the election instead of saying, ‘We’re gonna punish our enemies and we’re gonna reward our friends who stand with us on issues that are important to us,’ if they don’t see that kind of upsurge in voting in this election, then I think it’s gonna be harder and that’s why I think it’s so important that people focus on voting on November 2.”
Many on the Democratic side believe that this about turn may be risky, whilst the Walken campaign was quick to jump on the announcement, Governor and Florida Senate Eric Swenson said "This a cynical attempt to buy Latio support, they will not fall for it." whilst Arizona Senator Matt Hunt attacked the comments "The President has had four years to do something with immigration reform, now suddenly facing defeat, he decides he will do anything".

Last edited:
POLILTICO.COM

Monday October 25th 2010

Santos pulls out of Michigan, Walken out of Oregon

Yesterday we heard that President Santos was not campaigning in Ohio and Colorado, well today it was confirmed that they have conceded Michigan as well to Walken.
Michigan was carried by Santos 4 years ago, by over 7%. That news brought joy in the Walken camp, whilst Simon O'Connor from the Walken team confirmed that they where no longer contesting Oregon, a state that Santos carried by just 2,000 votes in 2006.

cnn_logo.jpg

Santos To Attend State Funeral For African Leader

With the Presidential election now less than a week away, President Santos will be among several world leaders attending the state funeral of the late Central African Federation president Benjamin Boma this week, according to State Department sources. Santos will then meet personally with acting president and former prime minister Jean Luc Mugaba, who assumed the office of the presidency following Boma's death. In related news, Mr. Santos would not comment on reports of Chinese troops operating in the CAF's outer provinces, except to say that he hoped China would respect the CAF's "Sovereignty." In an official statement, acting president Mugaba said tha the chinese troops are in the country at "the request of the people," suggesting that they are officially there to protect Chinese-owned mines and not, as rumors have suggested, to help restore order in the wake of the Boma assassination. The service will be held in the national capitol of New Louisville, where government troops have been maintaining order.

Walken Dismisses Santos "Appeal" To Immigrants

Republican Presidential candidate GlennAllen Walken dismissed President Santos's pledge for immigration reform should he win a second term, calling it "Another in a long list of failed promises" and "Outright pandering" to Hispanics and Latinos in a "Last-ditch effort" to win over undecided voters. "Once again, I have to ask-if the man couldn't get anything done during his first term, why should the American people believe he'll get it done in the second?" For his own part, Walken says that, if elected, he would introduce "Real reform-starting with enforcement of our existing laws, a virtual fence to monitor the border, and, yeah, a path to citizenship for those who just come here to work and who have broken no other laws, because I think we need one." He also did not rule out the possibility of sending National Guard troops to border states in the wake of escalating drug violence in Mexico. "This is another issue that President Santos has been absent on-people are getting killed down there, and now it's happening on our side of the border. The border is turning into a de facto war zone, and so far Santos hasn't done much except give lip service to doing something about it."
________

Note: I don't know if the current situation along the border has a parallel in the WWU, but I thought it derserved a mention if Santos was talking about immigration reform...

Last edited:
New York Post
Monday, October 25,2010

Marshall in NY Governor's race cannot be seen losing

By Mike Handle

Blake Marshall, the former Mayor of New York City and Republican nominee, at this rate cannot be seen losing the election for Governor in NY next Tuesday. Last night in appearance with Liz Clark he and Essex County Executive Christopher Calipari, were touted as the "Next Governor and Lt. Governor". The Republican nominee, has a twelve point lead over DA Matthew Lewis, the Democrat by 41%-28%, with Conservative nominee Ralph is also the second time in his career Marshall has not obtained the Conservative Party nomination, however, Calipari is the Lieutenant Governor nominee for both. Colazzo refused to drop Calipari from his Lt. Governor roll. Lewis is struggling after the debate to keep up with the GOP, especially with so many victories projected for Republicans across the state.

Last edited:
latimes, Tuesday, October 26th.

SEABORN, LASSITER DEBATE HEATED; NO CLEAR WINNER.

Democrat Sam Seaborn and Republican Richard Lassiter met in their third and final debate last night, and the fireworks flew. However, there was no clear winner, though the conversation got a bit heated.

Held on the campus of San Diego State, the style was Vinick-Santos. Both men stood behind podiums, and wore plain blue suits. But their words were heated, and passionate.

The first question was on immigration, and Seaborn appeared the most sane, as he laid out a plan for comprehensive immigration reform, a combination of enforcement and integration. Lassiter responded with the idea of "enforcement first, enforcement above all," and proposed tripling the border patrol. This led to a brief squabble between the two candidates, and the moderator had to step in.

The next issue was the rise of green jobs, a particularly interesting option for Californians. Seaborn gave the best answer, calling green technology jobs "The best move for the present, to remove ourself from the current slump, and the best move for the future, to prepare ourselves for an energy independent world." Lassiter tried to attack Seaborn for being "supported by radical environmentalists," but Seaborn parried with a nice little shot at Lassiter's donations from oil and other energy companies. Lassiter then tried to attack Seaborn on green jobs being a "Democratic, quasi-governmental program," but again Seaborn parried by pointing out that a prominent supporter of Lassiter's, businessman Michael Chang, was an owner of a green jobs creator called Jade Technologies, or JadeTech, and had supported the roles of green-collar jobs. Lassiter seemed flustered by this, and did not have a response. The two also debated the need for new energy sources-Seaborn used solar, wind and hydrogen as a examples, and said, "Combined with energy efficient technologies, this will be a grand step toward total independence." Lassiter hit back at Seaborn's claims by calling green technologies "pseudo-scientific bunk, the same that has led to the global warming scare," and reiterated his commitment to offshore drilling for oil and natural gas.

Following that was a discussion of gay and human rights, and Lassiter actually looked good. While Seaborn refused to shy away from his commitment to full gay rights, which is pretty much certain to win him that voting bloc, Lassiter took a more nuanced approach. Though he spoke against the Recognition of Liberty Act, Lassiter reiterated his support for gay parents to adopt, allowing partners power-of-attorney, and increasing Social Security benefits for gay couples. Lassiter also gave a good quote: "If we move too quickly on gay marriage, it will set back the progress that we've made. In another 10 years, this won't be an issue, right now, it could cause 50 years of backlash."

Up next was foreign policy, which both men stumbled on. Lassiter continued his attack on Seaborn for saying there was a unified, independent, democratic government in Kazakhstan (Seaborn offered the weak response of "I said there were the basics of"), while Seaborn hit Lassiter for what he called "a interventionist policy that would, in essence, force American-style democracy on the world at gunpoint!" Lassiter got the best reaction by asking what role, if any, his opponent had played in negotiations with Cuba during his time in the White House. Seaborn at first refused to answer, and then when pressed, tried to spin it into a debate as to why negotiations should be conducted with Cuba. Lassiter maintained his support for a policy of "active intervention only if a regime poses a direct threat to the United States of America."

Following that was a question on judges, and here was where the real fireworks started. Seaborn and Lassiter both immediately went on the attack, with Lassiter accusing the Democratic Party at large of "wanting to appoint activist judges, who will legislate from the bench, and tear apart the fabric of our society. Removing God from the Pledge of Allegiance, allowing criminals to sue hardworking cops, calling dirty plays and pornography 'free speech'-These are the kinds of judges that Sam Seaborn would vote to approve to the bench." Seaborn immediately fired back, getting perhaps the best line of the night when he said, "Why is it when Democrats try to appoint judges, they are all unworthy of sitting on the bench, everyone of them trying to destroy what makes America great, guilty of unimaginable sins, but when Republicans do it, the ones they appoint are trustworthy, serious guardians who hand down justice without any preference for one side or the other, are perfect, honest and full of integrity? It's spin ladies and gentlemen, and Republicans are really good at it."

Finally, the night ended with each man being asked what they believed the role of the federal government was. Lassiter replied, "The role of the federal government is to get out of the way. The states, the cities and counties, and last, but certainly not least, are where the real power lies." Seaborn simply stated, "The role of the federal government is not to do for all everything, but to do for all what they cannot do themselves."

Overall, neither man won the debate. Both had good moments and bad. Lassiter seemed to be vacillating between the policies of his father as a conservative and Arnold Vinick as a moderate-He didn't know which way to choose.
Seaborn did not have the best night either-His answers were not the clearest, and he seemed tired, worn-out, uninterested in the debate. His spin afterwards could have been better as well.
In the end, I think that this will not have shifted the race. Some issues were cleared up, others were muddied further.

200px-USA_Today.svg.png

WHERE ARE THEY NOW? THE BARTLET WHITE HOUSE
by Will Kaeding.
Before Election Day, I wanted to take a look back at one of the most influential White Houses in history-The Bartlet Administration. I was curious as to find out where these main players are now, and what they are doing.

SAM SEABORN, White House Deputy Communications Director, 1998-2002; Currently Running for Senator from California.
Seaborn was the first of the original Bartlet staffers to leave the White House, as he ran for Congress in the 47th District, stepping in after Horton Wilde's death (Seaborn did it as a promise to Kay Wilde, Horton's widow). He lost-But only by a single percentage point, in a tough, close, well-fought race (Chuck Webb retired in 2004, shocked to both losing to a dead man and coming so close to losing to Seaborn, who he derided as a "carpetbagging Bartlet lackey.") Seaborn exited politics for awhile, signing onto the firm of Summers, Calloway and Hamilton, where he met his future wife, Lauren Parker (Who is the daughter of former California Governor Salvatore Parker). Seaborn reentered politics in 2006, becoming Deputy White House Chief of Staff, where he took on a lead role in negotiating with Congress, and acting as a troubleshooter. Seaborn departed again in 2009, to run for Senator from his home state of California, to replace Justine Avery.

ABBY BARTLET, First Lady of the United States, 1998-2006; Currently on the Board of the Bartlet Foundation, Working with Several Charities.
Once called the "Most Influential First Lady in History," Abby Bartlet was a central figure in her husband's presidency. Since departing the White House, Bartlet has continued with her activism, working for women's and children's issues all over the world. She's also joined the board of the National Multiple Sclerosis Foundation along with her husband, though since his debilitating attack of MS earlier this year, she's been spending more time with him, going on trips and keeping a close watch.

ANNABETH SCHOTT, White House Deputy Press Secretary for Media Affairs, 2005-2006; Currently Host of CNBC's Money Talks.
Schott was a late-term addition to the Bartlet White House, and departed the Santos White House, where she had served as Press Secretary to the First Lady early. Schott departed in 2007 to become the host of CNBC's Money Talks, despite having no prior experience with financial issues. Schott took to the assignment well, as her perky attitude and excellent ability to drill down to the core of an issue made the low-level investors trust her, and her media experience made the higher-levels like her. Schott has also been helping to run the Leo McGary Lecture Series at Northwestern, and has been considering expanding it to twice a year.

CHARLES "CHARLIE" YOUNG, Personal Aide to the President, 1999-2005 and Deputy Assistant to the Chief of Staff, 2006; Currently an attorney in Washington D.C. and Maryland.
Of all of the family of the Bartlet Administration staff, Young is the closest-He's actually family. Young married former President Bartlet's youngest daughter Zoey, and the two live together in the D.C./Maryland area. Young has had a varied career-After graduating from Georgetown Law School in 2008, he went to work for his old boss, CJ Cregg, at her Hollis Development Foundation. He also joined the board of the Fifty-First State Project, a group dedicated to making the District of Columbia the 51st State, as well as becoming involved in several charity and community groups. Young was approached about running for Andrea Wyatt's open seat in Maryland, but passed.

CJ CREGG, White House Press Secretary, 1998-2005 and White House Chief of Staff, 2005-2006; Currently National Chair and Senior Advisor, Campaign to Re-Elect the President, on Temporary Leave as Executive Director, Hollis Development Foundation.
CJ Cregg was once the most powerful woman in Washington, the first-ever woman to serve two terms as White House Press Secretary (Even if one of them was cut short) and the first-ever woman to become White House Chief of Staff. After leaving the White House, Cregg disappeared from view for a few years, starting billionaire Franklin Hollis' global development fund, writing a book and getting married and having children with journalist Danny Concannon (The two are currently in couple's counseling). She recently went back on the active duty roster by becoming the National Chair for the Santos Re-election Campaign, and is overseeing the national efforts. She also passed on running for Senate in her home state of Ohio, leading to the current contest between Hayden Straus and Caroline McIntosh.

WILL BAILEY, White House Deputy Communications Director, 2002-2003, Chief of Staff to the Vice President, 2003-2006, White House Communications Director and Press Secretary, 2006; Currently Congressman from the 4th District of Oregon, Elected 2008.
Will Bailey was another late addition to the White House, and had perhaps one of the most curious careers there. Brought onboard after Sam Seaborn's departure to help write Bartlet's Second Inaugural (At Seaborn's recommendation, and adding to the tangled web, Seaborn was leaving to replace the candidate that Bailey had run), Bailey was around for about a year, before departing to become the Chief of Staff to new Vice President Bob Russell, reportedly causing a split between Bailey and Toby Ziegler. Bailey had positioned Russell to run for President, and had him as the frontrunner for most of the campaign, falling apart only at the convention. Shortly afterwards, CJ Cregg dragooned Bailey back into the White House after Toby Ziegler's dismissal. Bailey performed admirably, before moving out to Oregon. Though he was accused of carpetbagging, Bailey still managed to win over incumbent John Heffinger, and is running for reelection against him (He holds a 7-point advantage). He is married to former fellow Bartlet staffer Kate Harper.

KATE HARPER, Deputy National Security Advisor, 2004-2006; Currently Senior Fellow, Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) and Best-Selling Author.
Another late addition to the Bartlet Administration, Harper was Nancy McNally's 2nd, and the longest-serving Deputy. She was a key part of the Bartlet team later on. After departing the White House, Harper would spend a year in quasi-retirement, before reemerging as a Fellow at the CSIS and several other institutions. She also moved out to Oregon to be with her old boyfriend, Will Bailey (The two had separated after departing the White House). Harper released her book, No Exit, a New York Times Best-Selling examination of the Israeli-Palestinian Peace Accords, early in 2009, and has written several other articles and editorials, appearing on the talk show circuits.

DONNA MOSS, Assistant to the Deputy Chief of Staff, 1998-2005; Currently Chief of Staff to the First Lady.
One of the more intriguing members of the Bartlet White House, Donna Moss served as the longtime aide to Josh Lyman, and rumors swirled as to the exact nature of their relationship. Moss was in the headlines in 2005, after she was injured as part of the CODEL bombing in Gaza (Moss was attached as a White House observer), though no publicity came of it. She left the White House to work for the Russell for President Campagin in 2005, but moved over to the Santos campaign after Russell folded. She became First Lady Helen Santos' Chief of Staff, and has held that position, even after the Purge. Moss and Lyman having been openly seeing each other since 2006, and she is currently pregnant with the couple's first child, due early next year.

JOSH LYMAN Deputy White House Chief of Staff, 1998-2005; Currently Chairman of the Democratic National Committee.
Lyman has been in the highest circles of power for the past 12 years, and that's how a lot of people perceive him.
Once called the most brilliant mind in the Democratic Party, Lyman has seemingly displayed a stunning amount of incompetence as Chief of Staff to Matt Santos. Though he was the reason that Santos was elected in the first place, and one of the key players in the Bartlet White House (Bartlet once referred to Lyman as his "son"), Lyman had to be removed in the Purge. However, his talents tend to lie more to the political than the governing, so DNC Chair is a good spot for him, and the DNC has reportedly pulled in a major amount of cash and modernized operations under Lyman. He's currently living with his old assistant and Chief of Staff to the First Lady Donna Moss, and they're expecting their first child in March.

TOBY ZIEGLER, White House Communications Director, 1998-2006; Currently Author and Professor at Columbia University.
Perhaps the most enigmatic and intriguing member of the Bartlet era. Ziegler was the speechwriter for Bartlet, and the head strategist for the reelection effort. Of course, he's most known for admitting to being the leak for the Military Shuttle Patriot, in early 2006, a crime which he would have served at least 15 years in jail (Though President Bartlet pardoned him, his last act in office). There's an amount of mystery surrounding Ziegler's admission to being the leak, as Greg Brock, the journalist who went to jail for refusing to reveal his source, has never confirmed or denied that Ziegler was in fact the leak, and Ziegler himself has suggested that he was covering for someone else.
Since his release, Ziegler has written a book, More Than Words, and is teaching at Columbia University. However, his role in the political process has not ended, as Republicans have attempted to tie Ziegler to certain Democrats, though in all cases, Ziegler's involvement has been refuted. Ziegler reportedly did aid Josh Lyman in his bid to elect Matt Santos in 2006.

JOSIAH "JED" Bartlet, President of the United States of America, 1998-2006.
The man around whom this all was formed. Jed Bartlet is widely considered to be one of the greatest President's this country has ever had, the man who revitalized liberalism, who withstood immense tragedies, who brought peace to the Middle East (Part of it anyways), and who turned possibly the biggest scandal in the history of politics into a teaching moment-and a landslide.
Bartlet has still been involved after leaving office. He's started the Bartlet Library, and has joined the Board of the National MS Foundation, as well as assisting President Santos and Secretary Vinick in flying to Jakarta to work out a government shutdown in 2008. He's also lectured in politics and economics at universities around the world, earning up to $500,000 per appearance. And lately he's been campaigning for Democratic candidates,trying to revive the magic. Some even suggested that Bartlet become the UN Secretary-General!
After his most recent and severe MS attack, President Bartlet is now confined to a wheelchair, and has lost the use of his left eye. But his mind is still as good as ever, and his legacy will continue to grow.

OOC: Everyone on here was a main character, and appeared in the main credits. I didn't include Mandy, as she had too short of a tenure; or Santos and Vinick, as they weren't strictly Bartlet White House. I erred on the side of not putting Leo, but will change that if necessary.

Last edited:
200px-USA_Today.svg.png

WHERE ARE THEY NOW? THE BARTLET WHITE HOUSE
by Will Kaeding.
Before Election Day, I wanted to take a look back at one of the most influential White Houses in history-The Bartlet Administration. I was curious as to find out where these main players are now, and what they are doing.

MADELINE "MANDY" HAMPTON, White House Media Director, 1999-2000; Served as Campaign Director for Matt Skinner's Presidential Campaign, 2009.
After being disgraced for a series of e-mails disparaging other candidates in the 2010 Republican Primary, Hampton was fired by then-presidential candidate Matt Skinner and has not been seen since. Inquiries into her current whereabouts have gone unanswered.

POLITICO.COM

Tuesday October 26th 2010

Three over night polls show Presidential race "too close to call"

The Santos campaign will be very happy this morning. With just seven days left until election day, three polls published over night show the race "too close to call".
CNN
Walken 47%
Santos 45%
Un-decided 8%
NBS
Walken 51%
Santos 49%
(Only includes voters who have decided)
NBC
Walken 49%
Santos 46%
Un-decided 5%

Last edited:
hdr-main.gif

BREAKING NEWS BREAKING NEWS BREAKING NEWS

FORMER FIRST LADY LIBBY LASSITER ERUPTS LIVE ON TV; CALLS SEABORN A "PERVERT", SAYS HER SON NEEDS TO GO TO WASHINGTON "TO BE A SAVIOR LIKE OWEN."

Libby Lassiter, the former First Lady and mother of California Senate candidate Richard Lassiter, is well-known for her extreme political views, calling homosexuality an "abnormal lifestyle," and has become a fierce defender of her husband's political legacy. She's often been derided for crazed outbursts, and Republicans were fearful of having her at their convention.

Well, it looks like Mrs. Lassiter has outdone herself even by her own immense standards. Speaking live on a Californian television, on a campaign event for her son only a week before Election Day, Lassiter went off.

The interview was a piece focusing on the Lassiter family and Richard Lassiter's political influences. It had been proceeding smoothly, and was appearing to wrap up, until the anchor, Traci Mitchell, asked this question: "Mrs. Lassiter, why do you think that your son needs to go to Washington?"

With that, Mrs. Lassiter erupted:
"My son needs to go to Washington because he will be a savior, just like Owen was. He's a pure, good man, unlike his opponent. Richard will help save America from the Democrats, those godless heathens, from all the dirty people and liberal homosexuals and nonbelievers polluting America with their filth! Owen saved the Republican Party, and he saved America, and I think Richard has just a big a destiny. But that can't happen if people are stupid enough to vote for that Seaborn pervert he has as an opponent."

The interview was immediately ended after that, though the cameras stayed live, and offstage somebody was heard saying, "Holy shit, did that just happen?"

Neither the Lassiter or Seaborn campaigns have commented on this story yet.

Last edited:
Youth In Revolt Director Hospitalized
NewsLogoFoxNews.jpg

BREAKING NEWS

Oct. 26 (AP)

010406sheen.jpg

Christopher Eckert, shown here during a recent visit to Washington

The director of the New York chapter of the Youth in Revolt movement has reportedly been placed under psychiactric care following his arrest at a New York City hotel. On October 26 at 2 a.m. Christopher "Bud" Eckert was found naked and intoxicated by police responding to a call that the YIR director was trashing his hotel room. Eckert, who is married, was found with an "Escort" according to police reports.

Eckert had been scheduled to speak at the Youth In Revolt rally scheduled to take place in Washington, D.C. on October 30th. The emerging scandal is already being seen as another black eye for the movement, which earlier this week was swirling with controversy over remarks made by a YIR spokesman, David Pierpont, about former General Morgan T. Perry. Pierpont has since resigned from the organization.

Washington, D.C. chapter director and event organizer Abby Locker had no immediate comment on the latest developments.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.