2010 US Presidential Election

Status
Not open for further replies.
but it seems while it is a Democratic right to riot and demonstrate if things don't go a certain way, seems to be a right that Democrats reserve unto themselves. Whereas if Republican's do likewise, well it's a case of them not honoring the system or the Democratic process. I hope this is not the case, if either Seaborn loses and that his defeat is accepted and not used as a licence for some to exercise "the Democratic right to riot and demonstrate" and equally so if Shallick or whoever emerges as the eventual nominee. But I still maintain that Democrats should not resort to "crybaby or sore loser" tactics if Samuel Norman Seaborn does lose!!!!

I'm pretty sure the guy wasn't talking about Democratic voters in universe, but fans of The West Wing who have been waiting for Sam Seaborn to be president since Hartsfield's Landing way back in 2002.

Yeah we know that, but I have a feeling this might not materialise, or if it does, then perhaps in ways we don't yet imagine. e.g. what If it comes down to a 269-269 split? In which case the contest ends up being decided in the House for the first time since 1824, now that would be fun!

but it seems while it is a Democratic right to riot and demonstrate if things don't go a certain way, seems to be a right that Democrats reserve unto themselves. Whereas if Republican's do likewise, well it's a case of them not honoring the system or the Democratic process. I hope this is not the case, if either Seaborn loses and that his defeat is accepted and not used as a licence for some to exercise "the Democratic right to riot and demonstrate" and equally so if Shallick or whoever emerges as the eventual nominee. But I still maintain that Democrats should not resort to "crybaby or sore loser" tactics if Samuel Norman Seaborn does lose!!!!
Both sides have flaws, definitely. But toeing the line and accepting a result we didn't want is only one thing we can do; choosing to keep our voice heard is another.

Politico.Com
Friday May 18th 2018

Presidential

by John Edwards

On Monday, Kansas Governor and Republican Presidential Candidate Peter Gault walked in the proverbial lion's den: The Castro District of San Francisco. Will this stop would be part of any tour of "The City by the Bay" for any other politician, it was most certainly not a typical day for the long-standing opponent of LGBT rights. Locked in a dead heat for his party's nomination with former White House Chief of Staff Henry Shallick, Governor Gault knew he had to make a bold move. And a bold one it was. Following in the footsteps of fellow GOP Candidate, California Congressman Will Durham, who visited San Francisco before Super Tuesday, Governor Gault knew what he had to do. Sticking tightly to his script and relying heavily on his folksy mid-western charm, Governor Gault introduced himself to hundreds of voters. when he concluded his walking tour, Governor Gault did something that no one of his stature and position has ever done before. He spoke before a crowd of people who's contempt for his was completely justified, a group of people who he'd spent his entire life fighting against; and he asked them to vote for him. In a hour long Q&A session, Governor Gault laid out his case why San Francisco LGBT voters should be voting for him, and not their current Senior Senator. While the speech drew obvious criticism from the usual suspects among the liberal left, the mainstream of American politics and media have been left stunned. The move was so shocking that California Senior Senator and Democratic Presidential nominee Sam Seaborn has yet to address the event.

Dr. King once said, "A genuine leader is not a searcher for consensus but a moulder of consensus". Governor Gault did not go to San Francisco to be praised. He did not go there thinking that he could work out some kind of deal with voters there. What he did has was tell a crowd of people what they didn't want to hear, but what they needed to hear, even if it hurt him with his most staunch supporters, his base. Of the 4 Candidates still in the race for President, Peter Gault is the only one acting and behaving like a President. Peter Gault, is acting Presidential.

John Edwards is a former Media Advisor to former Texas Governor John Hoynes from 2012 to 2017

Last edited:
politico.com, Friday May 17th

Former Texas Senator Hopkins Abandons Shallick Endorses Gault

Barton Hopkins, the former Texas Senator added further pressure to former White House Chief of Staff Henry Shallick by saying that he was now backing Kansas Governor Peter Gault as the Republican Party heads towards a contested convention.

Hopkins told Capitol Beat that “it’s clear to me now that Governor Gault is the candidate the people want, his support as come despite such huge financial and organisational disadvantages that everyone should reflect on his ability to reach people that no other candidate can reach.”

The former Senator who also served two terms as Governor suggested that he believed a number of his fellow party members were ready to follow suit and that the “tide was swinging in Gault’s favour”.

Last edited:
upload_2017-2-8_14-55-36-png.307359

Wednesday May 23rd 2018
Polling for the Final Republican Presidential Primary

South Dakota (Tuesday May 29th) 29 Delegates

1. Gault 47% (+5)
  2. Shallick 42%(-1)
  3. Durham 11% (-4)
+/- since last Poll on May 9th.

Wednesday May 23rd 2018
Polling for the Final Republican Presidential Primary

South Dakota (Tuesday May 29th) 29 Delegates

1. Gault 47% (+5)
  2. Shallick 42%(-1)
  3. Durham 11% (-4)
+/- since last Poll on May 9th.

If Gault's lead holds up, Durham gets to play kingmaker at the convention.

BBC.CO.UK/Politics
Thursday May 24th 2018

Samuels has ruled out June 28th General Election & likely to be September 6th or October 4th

The BBC understands that the Prime-Minister Richard Samuels has ruled out calling a General Election for June 28th, and that he prefers either September 6th or October 4th. The election has to be held by November 8th.

There had been rumours following the narrow win in the London Mayoral Election for Conservative Nigel Jay, that the Prime-Minister was considering calling an election for June 28th, but it seems with two by-elections taking place on June 14th, that he has decided to wait until July until making a decision. An interesting point to remember is that an September election would not require the cancellation of the party conference season which take place through late September and early October, whilst an October 4th election would. When an October election was called in 1964 & 1974 the party conferences where moved until November and December those years.

Most of the polls point to around an average nine to ten point lead which would easily be enough to return the Prime-Minister with a reduced overall majority but still one between 30 and 50 seats depending on regional swings.

What is the story with Oliver Moseley career wise? did he serve in Congress? I can't remember ever seeing a profile on him as there was with other Governors in the West Wing universe.

What is the story with Oliver Moseley career wise? did he serve in Congress? I can't remember ever seeing a profile on him as there was with other Governors in the West Wing universe.

He was a District Attorney before running for Governor in 2010. His father was former Senate Majority Leader Jack Moseley (a show-mentioned character, who I posited must've been briefly Leader in '03 before stepping down), who lost reelection in 2010 to Camille Aubry (who lost in 2016 to Carlos Cabrera).

Thanks for that. I have been having an argument with a fellow afficionado of this thread, he maintains there is a Congressman Oliver someone somewhere in the West Wing universe; so am I right that there was none or is he right?

Thanks for that. I have been having an argument with a fellow afficionado of this thread, he maintains there is a Congressman Oliver someone somewhere in the West Wing universe; so am I right that there was none or is he right?

A Google search of West Wing transcripts online reveals no Congressman Oliver (only WH Counsel Oliver Babbish, a major character, and a couple of references to Oliver Wendell Holmes - the show has more than one!).

If I recall correctly, I invented a Congressman Gary Oliver in 2010 (later posts place him in office beginning in 2007, nearly post-dating the show), who I assume is still in office like his real-life TX-13 counterpart.

All other Olivers mentioned in this thread:
- Canadian MP Oliver Brackart
- historical British dictator Oliver Cromwell
- UK MP Oliver Kendrick
- former Number 10 Communications Director Oliver Laws
- former Texas Lt. Governor Oliver Martinez
- German MP Oliver Rossorl
- former Canadian Prime Minister Oliver Sansellfort
- director Oliver Stone
- former US Attorney General Oliver Q. Tully

Wednesday May 30th 2018

Gault wins final primary in South Dakota

The final Republican Presidential primary has ended with another victory for Kansas Governor Peter Gault. Gault defeated Henry Shallick by 3,683 votes winning 47.32% to Shallick's 41.73% with Will Durham on 10.95%, a margin of 5.58%.

This win for Gault and it's 29 delegates leaves the Republican field left looking like this going into the convention in Tampa in July.
  1. Shallick 14,560,128 votes (42.30%) 1,241 delegates (40 delegates short of the 1,281 delegates required for the nomination)
  2. Gault 12,734,963 votes (37%) 1,127 delegates (154 delegates short of the 1,281 delegates required for the nomination)
  3. Durham 7,030,480 votes (20.42%) 192 delegates (1,089 delegates short of the 1,281 delegates required for the nomination)
  4. Clark 96,228 votes (0.28%) 0 delegates
Shallick has won: 24 races
Gault has won: 26 races
Durham has won: 6 races
*All 50 states plus DC & the Overseas elections*

Last edited:

Final Democratic Map
genusmap.php

Seaborn (also won Guam, Northern Marianian Islands, Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands)
Thorn
Robinson (also won American Samoa)

Politico.Com
Wednesday May 30 2018

Babbish retained by Republicans

Oliver Babbish, who served as U.S. Attorney General under President Matt Santos and as White House Counsel under President Josiah Bartlet, has been retained by Republican leadership to act as a mediator between the three remaining Presidential candidates in hopes of coming up with a solution that would allow for a candidate to receive the nomination without a brokered convention. If Babbish fails to work out a deal amongst the three campaigns the Republicans will be looking at the first brokered convention since 2006 when the Democratic Convention was forced to choose between Vice-President Bob Russell and then-Texas Representative Matt Santos.

Thursday May 31st 2018

"No deals" says Gault

Kansas Governor Peter Gault said during a press conference this morning that there would be "no deals" with his two remaining opponents for the nomination ahead of the Republican National Convention in Tampa in July, this coming after the RNC appointed for Attorney General Oliver Babbish to try and broker a deal before Tampa to prevent a floor fight for delegates.

"I have no idea why Jeff Haffley (RNC Chairman) has decided to hire Oliver Babbish, he is wasting his time, there will be no backroom deals with me, I will not let down the nearly 13 million people across this nation that have voted for me, it will be down to the state delegates to decide this nomination, not me, Governor Shallick or Congressman Durham". He also rubbished suggestions that he was ready to offer Congressman Durham the number two slot on the ticket in exchange for his 192 delegates voting for him on the first ballot "that story is utter rubbish, no deals, I am looking at people I am considering for my running-mate if I get the nomination, that's all at the moment, I will not be offering the job to anyone prior to Tampa".

Gault knows he is in a strong position, despite Governor Shallick only falling forty delegates short of the required 1,281. The Indiana delegation has already pledged to switch it's support of 54 delegates from Shallick to him on the second ballot, because of the nature of the result in the state back in March which Shallick won by just 297 votes and was the subject of a protracted legal dispute between the two campaigns. That switch would leave Shallick only six delegates ahead of Gault, and leaving both candidates requiring around 100 delegates for the nomination.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.