2010 US Presidential Election

Status
Not open for further replies.
nbs.com, Sunday December 1st

Bartlet: Party Needs A Robust Defense of Principles

Former President Jeb Bartlet took the opportunity of a nationally televised interview to call for a “robust defense of liberal-progressive values” in the run up to next years General Election.

With only a month until the Democratic Primary race gets under way the former President refused to back an individual candidate but said it was time to “get off the back foot and take our case to the country.”

President Bartlet refused to directly attack current President Walken saying “nobody knows how tough a job he has more than me” however he did question some of the current administration’s policies. “We’ve allowed investment in some key areas to lapse and it’s important that we make a case in next years election that a government that works for the many is to everyone’s advantage.”

When asked if he would offer any endorsement Bartlet refused but he did single out Maine Senator Stephen Wilson as “someone I’ve worked with extensively and have a lot of time for” a comment that has been seen in some quarters as a disguised jab at his former Vice-President Bob Russell.

The former President, who is now confined to a wheelchair as he battles MS, talked at some length about his illness saying “it’s a constant battle, I have ups and downs.” He confirmed that his daughter Liz, who is running for Governor of New Hampshire, has been in constant contact and much of her “inconsistent” schedule over the summer was due to him. “She’ll make a great Governor - I just wish I could campaign for her a bit more.”

FOXNEWS.COM

Sunday December 1st 2013

Fitzsimmons 1996 State Senate re-election campaign received funds from a "IRA" front company

Democratic Presidential candidate Massachusetts Senator Jimmy Fitzsimmons is facing further questions tonight over his links to the IRA and Irish Republicalism.

After being pictured at a NORAID fundraiser Fitzsimmons and his campaign have tried to play down the links, but today Fox News can reveal that during his re-election campaign in 1996 to the Massachusetts State Senate he received several donations from a Patrick O'Leary Ltd, the comapny ceased trading in 1997, but was based out of Boston. It was investigated to its links to NORAID and the IRA by the FBI prior to the signing of the 1998 Good Friday Agreement.

Last edited:
CBS.COM

Sunday December 1st 2013

National Poll
  1. Robert Russell 25%
  2. Kate Crossley 22%
  3. Jimmy Fitzsimmons 20%
  4. Stephen Wilson 16%
  5. Ben Newell 13%
  6. Josie Bail 3%
  7. Alan Fisk 1%

Des Moines Register.com

Monday December 2nd 2013

Poll of 2,000 likely Caucus goers is released

We have polled 2,000 likely Caucus goers from last Thursday to yesterday

Here are the results:

1. Kate Crossley 28%
  2. Jimmy Fitzsimmons 22%
  3. Robert Russell 20%
  4. Ben Newell 14%
  5. Stephen Wilson 9%
  6. Josie Bail 3%
  7. Alan Fisk 1%
  8. Undecided 3%
The above results have a margin of sampling error of ±3.5 percentage points

Unionleader.com

Monday December 2nd 2013

Here is the Union Leaders lastest opinion poll based on 3,000 likely primary voters.

1. Stephen Wilson 26%
  2. Jimmy Fitzsimmons 25%
  3. Robert Russell 22%
  4. Kate Crossley 13%
  5. Ben Newell 10%
  6. Josie Bail 3%
  7. Alan Fisk 1%

Lansing State Journal.com

Monday December 2nd 2013

Opinion Poll

Based on 4,000 likely primary voters

1. Robert Russell 37%
  2. Jimmy Fitzsimmons 24%
  3. Stephen Wilson 14%
  4. Ben Newell 11%
  5. Josie Bail 8%
  6. Kate Crossley 5%
  7. Alan Fisk 1%

Last edited:
Las Vegas Sun.com

Tuesday December 3rd 2013

We have polled 2,000 likely primary voters over the Weekend.

1. Robert Russell 36%
  2. Jimmy Fitzsimmons 21%
  3. Stephen Wilson 14%
  4. Alan Fisk 13%
  5. Kate Crossley 9%
  6. Ben Newell 5%
  7. Josie Bail 2%
The above results have a margin of sampling error of ±3.5 percentage points

The State.Columbia.com

Lastest Poll

Poll of 4,000 likely Primary voters

1. Robert Russell 34%
  2. Jimmy Fitzsimmons 23%
  3. Alan Fisk 15%
  4. Stephen Wilson 13%
  5. Kate Crossley 9%
  6. Ben Newell 4%
  7. Josie Bail 2%

Miami Today.com

Latest Poll

A poll of 5,000 likely primary voters

1. Robert Russell 28%
  2. Stephen Wilson 27%
  3. Jimmy Fitzsimmons 22%
  4. Kate Crossley 11%
  5. Alan Fisk 6%
  6. Ben Newell 5%
  7. Josie Bail 1%

Public Service Anouncement
This story is five years old tomorrow, here is quick guide to our five years...

Season 1 (08-09) Ends in December 2009 with the attempted assisnation attempt on Marcus Blakemore, which forces him from the GOP Primary campaign.
Season 2 (09-10) Ends in November 2010 with the Election of Glen Allen Walken as the 45th President of the United States.
Season 3 (10-11) Ends in December 2011 with the Syrian terrorist attack in Jerusalem, the Syrian attack on Israel and the killing of the Syrian leader by US/Russian Special forces.
Season 4 (11-12) Ends in December 2012 with former New Jersey Kate Crossley annoucing her run for the Democratic 2014 Presidential nomination.
Season 5 (12-13) Ends in December 2013 with well come back tomorrow and find out!!:)

The idea is that we follow the last two yaesr of the West Wing Santos Adminstration as well as following the Republican nomination battle. Going on the basis of our own world, the Republican Canidadtes would be soon getting to announce their intentions to run.
The Front Runners for the Republican Nomination are listed below(all are people that appeared or mentioned during the series).
Governor Ray Sullivan of West Virginia
Leaves office in January after eight years in office.Popular with both Dems and Republicans.Was Vinick's running mate in 2006, as he is widely seen as a "Vinick Republican" moderate apart from abortion. Expected to annouce in early January. The clear front runner.
Governor Eric Swenson of Florida
Elected in 2004 to replace the 2002 Republican Candiadate for President Robert Ritchie. Easily won re-election in November. More popular and again more moderate than Ritchie, but is very wary of running for President after what happened to Ritchie in 2002.
Governor Edward Pratt of Tennessee
Two term Governor who ends his term in January 2009. Popular Governor from the right of the party.
Senate Majority Leader, Robert Royce of Pennsylvannia
The moderate Majority leader who is believed to offered his services to Vinick as a running mate in 2006. Belived by many to have no chance.
Congressman and former Speaker of the House Jeff Haffley from Washington
Speaker of the house from 2003 to 2006 until the Republicans lost control of the House. On the right of the Party. Looks certain to run.
Of the candidates that ran in 2006, it is looks unlikely that any of those candidates will run.
Yes, five years ago today on a wet Thursday afternoon I started this thread, I still cannot believe that its is going half a decade later.
It is still going because of you those that follow the story and enjoy it, thank you.
A big thank you must go to Disputed, my co-writer, who has been in on this almost since the start. He must take alot of the credit for this story, without him, this story would have ended long ago.
As for the future, we truly don't know who is going to win the Democratic nomination, although we have it narrowed down to five of the seven candidates.
Please keep reading and enjoying the story, and also a big thank you to this site, without which I could not have told this story.
Right, "What's next".
Thanks
Mark

NBS.COM

Wednesday December 4th 2013

Breaking News Breaking News Breaking News

President Josiah Bartlet has died

In the last few minutes we have heard that President Bartlet has passed away at the family farm just outside Manchester, New Hampshire.

More when we get it.....

Congratulations on reaching the 5 year mark. I have enjoyed this since before I even signed up to AH.com. Keep up the good work!

NBS.COM

Breaking News Breaking News

White House has confirmed Presdient Bartlet has died
White House flag and all flags on Public buildings to be raised to half mast
President Walken to make a statement at 11.am EST

For Immediate Release
Office of the Press Secretary
December 4, 2013
Announcing the Death of Josiah Bartlet
By the President of the United States of America
A Proclamation

TO THE PEOPLE OF THE UNITED STATES:

It is my sad duty to announce officially the death of Josiah Bartlet, the forty-third President of the United States, on December 3rd 2013.

President Bartlet fought a crippling disease with all of the dignity and strength that he brought to his time in office. Whilst we disagreed on much I always knew that he had an unshakable faith in the shared values of our country and the character of our people, Josiah Bartlet believed in all the things that unite us all. He was a fierce defender of Democracy, the preservation of American values and the protection of our citizens in what can be, at times, a hostile world.

President Bartlet has left us, but he has left us stronger and better.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, Glen Allen Walken, President of the United States of America, by the authority vested in me by the Constitution and laws of the United States, in honor and tribute to the memory of Josiah Bartlet, and as an expression of public sorrow, do hereby direct that the flag of the United States be displayed at half-staff at the White House and on all buildings, grounds, and Naval vessels of the United States for a period of 30 days from the day of his death. I also direct that for the same length of time, the representatives of the United States in foreign countries shall make similar arrange-ments for the display of the flag at half-staff over their Embassies, Legations, and other facilities abroad, including all military facilities and stations.

I hereby order that suitable honors be rendered by units of the Armed Forces under orders of the Secretary of Defense.

I do further appoint Tuesday, December 10th, 2013, as a National Day of Mourning throughout the United States.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this fourth day of December, in the year of our Lord two thousand and thirteen, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and thirty-seventh.

Glen Allen Walken
President of the United States

Last edited:
nbs.com, Wednesday December 4th

White House Confirms President Bartlet’s Death

In the last few minutes it has been confirmed by the White House and by the Bartlet family that former President Josiah Bartlet died last night at his home in New Hampshire.

President Glen Walken has released a statement on the White House website confirming the news and declaring a period of mourning for the late President. The statement spoke of the former Presidents’ shared belief in Democracy and the preservation of American values.

Suggestions following President Bartlet’s nationally televised interview at the weekend suggested that the meeting had to be rearranged due to the former President’s failing health in light of his continuing battle with MS.

The family also released a short statement confirming the time of death as 11.22pm yesterday night and that at the time of death the President’s wife, Abby and daughters Elizabeth, Eleanor and Zoe were with him in Manchester – they asked for privacy at this sad time.

The President is expected to make a public statement at 11am.

"What will be the next thing that challenges us, Toby? That makes us go farther and work harder? Do you know that when smallpox was eradicated, it was considered the single greatest humanitarian achievement of this century? Surely we can do it again, as we did in the times when our eyes looked towards the heavens and, with outstretched fingers, we touched the face of God. Here's to absent friends and the ones that are here now. Cheers" --Josiah Bartlet

nbs.com, Wednesday December 4th

Tributes Pour In for Former President Bartlet

A wave of early tributes have started in the wake of the news that former President Josiah Bartlet died last night following a lengthy battle with MS.

California Senator Sam Seaborn released a statement expressing his “deep sorrow” at the former President’s death. Seaborn, who served in Bartlet’s White House described their relationship saying that “(Bartlet) was an inspiration to me. Not only my President, but my mentor, my confidant and my advisor.” Senator Seaborn added that right up until his final days he has spoken to President Bartlet “at least three times a week.”

House Speaker Carol Gelsey said that she “shared the American people’s grief at this time” and described President Bartlet as “one of America’s great Presidents.”

The Republican response was no less pronounced with former Secretary of State Arnold Vinick talking of President Bartlet’s “great dignity” and “exceptional intellect.” Vinick was joined by Senator Majority Leader Robert Royce who spoke of his “great respect” for the former President.

In the last few moments another former President, Matthew Santos, has released a brief statement saying that “America has lost one of it’s greatest servants.”

NBS.COM

Democratic Presidential candidates suspend campaigns

The seven contenders for the Democratic Presidential nomination have announced that are "suspending" their campaigns until after the funeral of Josiah Bartlet.

A joint statement was released via the DNC a few minutes ago.

NBS.COM

President Walken addresses the Nation

“This is a sad day in the life of America. A great American life has come to an end. I have just spoken to Abby Bartlet. On behalf of our whole nation, Mary and I offered her and the Bartlet family our prayers and our condolences.
Josiah Bartlet won America's respect with his greatness, and won its love with his goodness. He had the confidence that comes with conviction, the strength that comes with character, the grace that comes with humility and the humor that comes with wisdom.
Thanks to his leadership, the Middle-East has laid to rest an era of fear and tyranny. Now, in laying our leader to rest, we say thank you. His work is done, and now a shining city awaits him. May God bless Josiah Bartlet".

Status
Not open for further replies.