2010 US Presidential Election

Status
Not open for further replies.
Australian Prime-Minister Vincent Mulready in 1971 (1971 to 1972)

71158_44047685546_5376792_n.jpg

What actor is that?

I found this photo not too long ago while searching for something else

Armin+Mueller+Stahl+59th+Berlin+Film+Festival+FPWjlpr6qPFl.jpg

AP - Recently elected Prime Minister of Israel, Rachel Atari with former (now current) Prime Minister Efraim Zahavy in 2006

The Australian Brief is finally done... Now to get lunch... I will post a Qumar article later tonight. Any requests on what the next brief should be on?

• Palestine
  • Canada
  • Ireland
  • Central African Federation
  • Equatorial Kundu
  • Mexico
  • Thailand
  • New Zealand
  • Indonesia
  • Vatican City

All good possibilities with some prior thread development.

politico.com

With primary a week away, Chang surges past Kay

As Paul Chang and Steven Key take the stage tonight at the University of Oregon's auditorium, both men have something new to recognize. Congressman Paul Chang is in the lead. Substantially. After weeks and weeks of trading leads with each other, Chang has finally reached the mark that all candidates dream of: being over 50% in the polls. And he finally has, as the most recent politico tracking poll has Chang leading Kay 53-41, a 12 point lead that some in the democratic party say will be too much to overcome with such little time.

An aide to DNC Chairman Josh Lyman said today, "at this point it looks like it'll be Chang," and former senator Lyndon Bullich (D-OR) who retired in 2002, said that "Chang's the man to beat in Oregon these days." Many national democrats give credit to Chang's sudden rise in almost all polls over Kay to his recent rise in fundraising. While many state democrats pinpoint that recent ability of his to his popularity amongst the Youth in Revolt.

The Youth in Revolt have recently lost their super-star fundraiser, Liam Dickson, who is generally credited along with Alex Minolli, Jackson Kennedy, and Alex Kershaw, to having started the young movement. Dickson, out of the blue, announced his own plans to run for senate in New Mexico. But his skills as a fundraiser have certainly been passed down to his disciples, who have chosen Oregon, a pacific left-leaning state, as their testing grounds. So far so good, as within the past month, due heavily to their efforts, Chang has raised almost $1.5 million. And claimed a lead in the polls heading into the final stretch of the campaign.

Last edited:
BBC.CO.UK/News

Wednesday May 11th 2011

Qumar Government forces capture Har-e-Garbik airport and southern area of the city

Government troops have taken the airport in Har-e-Garbik from rebels who support the Bahji.

Witnesses said the airport and the vast majority of the south of the city fell after hours of fighting between rebels and Government forces overnight.

The bodies of Bahji fighters could be seen lying in the street as the Government forces celebrated their victory, correspondents said. A dozen Government forces were said to have been wounded in the fighting.

As well as burning rebel tanks, the rebels said they had captured 40 Grad rockets from them, AFP news agency reported.

politico.com

Ackland to challenge Huntingdon

Republicans have finally caught a break in the hunt for quality senatorial candidates in the coming electoral cycle. Former state senator, and younger brother of former senator Dawson Ackland (R-NV) who retired in 2006, Richie Ackland announced his plans to run for his brother's old seat. After weeks of heavy recruitment of staff and advisers, Ackland announced today in Reno his plans. "I'm running to get America working again. No more, no less."

The news comes as the man who replaced his brother - Victor Huntingdon - rakes in millions in fundraising in his likely reelection campaign. Huntingdon has become a very vocal supporter of the Youth in Revolt, and put up a solidly liberal voting record. His approval rating is at 51%, just enough room to breathe. But Republicans believe that the Ackland name remains strong and with support in the state will be good enough to carry him over.

Ackland was a maverick during his two terms in the senate, with pro gay-rights positions, and a big advocate of immigration and energy reform. He angered some in the party leadership from time to time, but he always came home for the important votes. His brother seems poised to be much alike his older brother, and he will face state assembly minority leader Lauren Wells in the primary, who is on the more right-end of the GOP.

Last edited:
Australia Today.com

Thursday May 12th 2011

Did the Governor General and the Prime-Minister row at an offical reception?

There are reports that the Governor General Jillian Harker and the Prime-Minister Dean Kerry had an heated exchange tonight at the offical reception for Fire fighters who battled the fires in Victoria in Janaury.

It is understood that Harker told Dean "We would not need this reception if you had acted earlier" whilst Dean is belived to have hit back "If this country was a f**king Republic, I could have done more without your beloved queen".

Kerry is a well known supporter of a Republic, and never has had much time for Harker who was appointed by Alexandria Haratgen back in 2006.

westerneditionweekly.com

Tomblin, Leary to run in Montana

Democrats have been itching to get a chance to take back all the seats in the Big Sky State, and finally with George Wirth's decision to retire in 2012, they've got it. Many democrats hopped into the race without question, but several big names have been sitting back waiting. But finally today, two of them entered.

Longtime state Secretary of State Marcus Tomblin (since 1994) challenged Wirth in 2000, but lost 54-45, and he now sees a chance at redemption. However, many democrats are also quite keen on attorney general Stephanie Leary, who became famous in 2007 for her trials against corruption in the state legislature. She has gotten a lot of credit as a political outsider and reformist, and that could be the right angle to work in an election like this.

Republicans however are a little puzzled. They had not been planning on defending this seat, and yet here they are. State assembly minority leader Daniel Madison has been mentioned frequently, as has Bozeman mayor Dick Lansing. But a plethora of candidates are expected.

Been working on this all night. I have part II ready, and currently Part III is half-finished. There's about 200 countries total (I'll have an exact count when I'm done, I know we have a total of 5 additions in this universe), so this should be done in the next couple days.

If this goes as well as last time, then expect to see me in three months with no updates:

Flags of Disneyworld or something, Part I.png

Notes:
  • It's not just a fun, "spot the new country" challenge. I reviewed, and hopefully spotted all the nations that had major changes since c. 1985, to see if they would be compatible to the different US happenings (and other events from the thread or show).
  • The order is not random. It's date of admission to the UN, then alphabetical if on the same date. There happens to have been alot in 1945. The bottom five flags (which have been cut off, but will be featured later/tomorrow) are 1946 and beyond, so this is coincidentally all 50 nations of 1945.
  • I didn't make a list, but I believe only Venezuela and Iraq are the only flags on this image differing from our world due to different circumstances (Hugo Chavez and Iraq War not existing in this timeline). There's one other change, other than the obvious new country, I was hoping someone could spot.
  • Mistakes can and will exist. Hopefully I spotted most of them. I had a list of dates country's last changed their flags that helped, but I didn't have one of when they adopted their present full names. So I had to play that one by ear.

Flags of Disneyworld or something, Part I.png

gregg.png

Secretary of State Sidney Gregg converses with Undersecretary Marty Keaton, while on the way speak to President Newman on the situation in Iraq in 1991. Gregg was famous for having conferences with his subordinates while walking. Eckert who was on Gregg's State Department staff called them the "walk and talk".

>>>>>

Oh and in response to Tim

Equatorial Kundu is the new country.

Qumar, Palestine, and Central African Federation are the others. I don't know what the fifth country is

Also you are using the 1992 Afghanistan flag, this implies that the Taliban never came to power in the West Wing Universe, and probably became a part of the Bahji in Qumar in the 1990s instead. Is that the change you were hoping someone would notice?

Last edited:
Equatorial Kundu is the new country.

Qumar (1955), Palestine (2011), and Central African Federation (1966) are the others. I don't know what the fifth country is (5th - 1976, 6th, sorry I messed up the numbering - 2011)

Also you are using the 1992 Afghanistan flag, this implies that the Taliban never came to power in the West Wing Universe, and probably became a part of the Bahji in Qumar in the 1990s instead. Is that the change you were hoping someone would notice?[/QUOTE]

I'm sad because my reference to the Grand Kingdom of Luxembourg went unnoticed.

And Afghanistan, which I tried not to mention before for RL complications, *did* have the Taliban take over for a period in The West Wing world. I don't like the Taliban, so I'm stating that they have fallen with a pre-Taliban Republic regaining power in the last few years. The flag is the 1992 flag, and it has become another "Islamic Republic."

Flags of Honolulu or whatever, Part II.png

No secrets:
  • Afghanistan - I just mentioned.
  • Myanmar - they have the old, pre-2010 name, but the modern flag. The Junta is still in charge but slight changes are occurring.
  • Nepal - I don't like messing around with monarchies, assuming most monarchies are the same (except for in Saudi Arabia and Bhutan, I believe). But what happened in Nepal is a sad recent story, that I'm not sure could've happened or not. I decided to keep it transitioned to a democracy, although the details are murky.
  • Grid E-3 - There's Qumar.
  • Ivory Coast - The Cote D'Ivoire naming is a recent, relatively decision. And it's only ever been addressed as "Ivory Coast" in the series.
  • Zaire - Only ever addressed (except for one possible exception) as Zaire. What happened to Mobuto was partially fallout from Rwanda (which *did* happen in this TL), but with a whole 'nother nation taking most of it's territory, I figured major changes for the area is expected.

Flags of Honolulu or whatever, Part II.png

Qumar (1955), Palestine (2011), and Central African Federation (1966) are the others. I don't know what the fifth country is (5th - 1976, 6th, sorry I messed up the numbering - 2011)

Also you are using the 1992 Afghanistan flag, this implies that the Taliban never came to power in the West Wing Universe, and probably became a part of the Bahji in Qumar in the 1990s instead. Is that the change you were hoping someone would notice?

I'm sad because my reference to the Grand Kingdom of Luxembourg went unnoticed.

And Afghanistan, which I tried not to mention before for RL complications, *did* have the Taliban take over for a period in The West Wing world. I don't like the Taliban, so I'm stating that they have fallen with a pre-Taliban Republic regaining power in the last few years. The flag is the 1992 flag, and it has become another "Islamic Republic."

View attachment 140856

No secrets:
  • Afghanistan - I just mentioned.
  • Myanmar - they have the old, pre-2010 name, but the modern flag. The Junta is still in charge but slight changes are occurring.
  • Nepal - I don't like messing around with monarchies, assuming most monarchies are the same (except for in Saudi Arabia and Bhutan, I believe). But what happened in Nepal is a sad recent story, that I'm not sure could've happened or not. I decided to keep it transitioned to a democracy, although the details are murky.
  • Grid E-3 - There's Qumar.
  • Ivory Coast - The Cote D'Ivoire naming is a recent, relatively decision. And it's only ever been addressed as "Ivory Coast" in the series.
  • Zaire - Only ever addressed (except for one possible exception) as Zaire. What happened to Mobuto was partially fallout from Rwanda (which *did* happen in this TL), but with a whole 'nother nation taking most of it's territory, I figured major changes for the area is expected.

<Facepalm> It's a duchy not a kingdom, isn't it?

This is going to bother me what was the country admitted in 1976? I know the last one is probably South Sudan

1. Equatorial Kundu
2. Qumar
3. Central African Federation
4. (1976 nation)
5. Palestine
6. South Sudan

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.