2010 US Presidential Election

Status
Not open for further replies.
Google Hosted News (AP)

Harrison Continues Legal Challenge In W.Va

Charleston (AP)-Senate candidate Rep. Brett Harrison (D)-continued his legal challenge to the results of last week's election, insisting that all of the votes be counted bdfore he conceded anything. "This is still a democracy," he said to supporters outside a local courthouse where the ballots were still being recounted. "The people of West Virginia have a right to know who won."

For his own part, Charles Oakley, who at first defeated Harrison by a razor-thin margin, said he was willing to let the challenge continue-up to a point.

"Sooner or later, a winner will be declared by the court," he said from his family home in Charleston. "All I hope is, when all is said and done, one of us will be able to accept the result gracefully and move on. After all, this ain't Ohio," Oakley said, referring to the still-undecided race in the neighboring state.

From The Tonight Show with David Letterman (November 9, 2010): "Well, things are going pretty smoothly as we get ready for the new presidency. Santos is moving out, Walken and his team are moving in, and in Ohio, they're still suing each other, so everything is pretty much normal..."

Conan O'Brien: "Things are looking up for the state of Ohio this week. The two Senate candidates have finally agreed to settle their differences in a steel cage match on pay per view."

Jimmy Fallon: "There's still some post-election controversy going on. In West Virginia the Democratic challenger is asking for a recount, and in Ohio, they're still trying to decide which body parts belong to which candidate, so it's still pretty messy down there..."

Last edited:
politico.com, Wednesday November 10th

White House Senior Team Confirmed

President-Elect Glen Walken has confirmed the make-up of his Senior White House staff putting to bed a number of rumors over key positions.

On top of the appointment former Arizona Governor Evan Drake as Chief of Staff, Walken has appointed his former Congressional Chief of Staff Steve Atwood and Cliff Calley to Deputy Chief of Staff postions. Atwood will be responsible for operations with Calley responsible for legislative affairs.

In the first of a few surprises Jane Braun, who served as political director to Walken on the campaign trail will serve as Vice-President Liz Clark’s Chief of Staff and as a counselor to the President.

Walken’s campaign manager Anne Stark will be Senior Counsel to the President. The much-coveted role as Communications Director will be filled by Carlo Falk, who is currently the CEO of PR firm Stash, but is best known from his time as the political editor of the Washington Times. Falk’s deputy will be Karen O’Hare who will move from her current position as House Minority Leader Jim Arkin’s Chief of Staff.

The White House Press Secretary will be Bill Bradley, who was Walken’s spokesman during his time as Speaker and most recently worked on Richard Lassiter’s Senate campaign.

Rose Walton-Phillips who was Evan Drake’s Chief of Staff during his time as Governor of Arizona is to take on the role of Cabinet Secretary.

Congressman David Owens is leaving his seat representing Missouri’s 7th District to become Director of Political Affairs. Owens, is a long time ally of Walken and even his political rivals were suggesting today that it’s a perfect fit for the Congressman.

Another high profile name in the announcement was former California Congressman Pete Ross. The 2002 Presidential candidate and long time friend of Walken will serve as a Counselor to the President.

Scott Galley who worked as a speechwriter for Walken and for former Michigan Governor Marcus Blakemore will be Assistant to the President for Speechwriting.

Three names notable by their absence are Simon O'Connor, Julian Barter and Ron McClinton. Walken thanked all three for their service saying that all three had been offered jobs but had turned them down in order to pursue other jobs or interest. Walken said that Barter will return to the role of Communications Director at the RGA and that McClinton was taking some time off to recharge. Simon O'Connor will work with the transition team before moving on in the new year.

For a full list of appointments see WalkenforAmerica.org.

twp_logo_375.gif

Walken's Senior Staff: Plenty of Executive Experience, But a Few Questions.
by Dave Dernazza.

Well, GlenAllen Walken has announced his Senior Staff in full today. Here's a full rundown and analysis of the announcements.

-Evan Drake as Chief of Staff. This is a pretty good pick: Drake has plenty of experience as Governor of Arizona and CEO of AuctionNet, and since Walken vetted him for Veep, the President-elect obviously has a high amount of respect for Drake. But Drake has no Washington experience, which could be a problem, though the amount of D.C. insiders that will be supporting Drake should offset that.

-Steve Atwood and Cliff Calley as Deputy Chiefs of Staff. This is a deviation from most earlier Administrations, who only have one DCoS. It seems that Atwood, Walken's long-time friend and consultant, will serve as the President's day-to-day consultant, a sort of wide-angle lens. Calley will hold effectively the position that he held for a brief time in the Bartlet White House: Director of Legislative Affairs. Calley is from the more moderate wing of the Republican Party, and his connections with Democrats and Congressional Republicans should be a excellent go-between for the Walken White House and Speaker Gelsey's office.

-Jane Braun was surprisingly selected as Liz Clark's Chief of Staff, and will also serve as Advisor to the President. This seems to indicate that Clark wants to be an activist Vice President, or at least heavily involved. Braun would serve as a excellent strategist, though she tends to be more focused on politics than policy.

-Anne Stark will take a role as Senior Advisor to the President, a role that surprised some, as she tends to focus on campaign matters and politics, instead of policy and day-to-day work. This could be positioning Stark for a move over to run the RNC if Mack McKinlay departs.

-Carlo Falk, the CEO of Stash, a excellent PR firm, will be taking on the role of Communications Director, an unusual choice. While Falk is conservative, as he was formerly the Editor of the Washington Times, he doesn't have active political experience. But Walken seems to be bringing a more business-minded atmosphere to the White House, people who know how to get things done-Perhaps in the face of accusations that the Santos White House was so mismanaged?

-Karen O'Hare as Deputy Communications Director-Curious choice. O'Hare is a pretty good communicator, but her skills lay more in a political direction. She also tends to be abrasive and forthright, not tolerance for BS, and a lot of the Congressional Republicans have complained of O'Hare steamrolling them. Not a bad choice, but not the best one by any means.

-Bill Bradley will be returning to the Walken Administration after a brief tour of duty on the Lassiter Campaign in California. This has given him a load of on-the-job experience (Covering for Libby Lassiter cannot be easy). The question is, Why has Julian Barter departed? His conflict with Simon O'Connor has been well documented, but considering that O'Connor will not be moving onto the White House, why isn't Barter going with Walken? Maybe Drake will not want any drama in his White House, and Barter is too much? Oh well. Bradley's a good Press Secretary-Not CJ Cregg good, but so few are.

-Rose Walton-Phillips, who was Drake's Chief of Staff in Arizona as Governor, and then worked for the University of Arizona, will become Cabinet Secretary. This is a fairly new position, as Walton-Phillips will be coordinating communications between the White House, Cabinet-level agencies, and several other assignments. This would be sort of a troubleshooting/manager role for Evan Drake as CoS.

-David Owens is an odd choice for Director of Political Affairs. He's not a particularly effective or popular Congressman, or well-connected. He does have close connections with the Walken and Shallick organizations. Really, this is the oddest choice. Maybe Walken is looking for someone without an agenda, who will be loyal only to him?

-Pete Ross is back! Yes!
One of my favorite politicians, Ross is engaging, intelligent, charismatic, and a very good strategist and communicator. The former Majority Leader has pretty close connections with the Walken crew, but has also maintained his independence. As Counselor, Ross will have an overview of communications, policy, strategy-Generally all areas of the White House. There will be some issues-Ross' lobbying for Major League Baseball could come under scrutiny, and Mary Marsh/Wes Burke and the ACA wing of the GOP will throw a fit about Ross' atheism/agnosticism, but other than that, Ross is an excellent choice.

-Scott Galley will be Director of Speechwriting. A former Marcus Blakemore disciple along with Calley, is this an indication that the former Michigan Governor will be receiving a high-ranking position in the Walken Administration? Anyways, Galley is an excellent speechwriter, but unlike in the Bartlet Administration, there's no other main speechwriter to help him out, meaning he could be buried in responsibility, or burn out quicker.

-Several key members of the Walken Campaign will not be invited back. Barter will return to the Republican Governor's Association, which will likely be under the direction of Andrew Wu, forming another tie with the Walken Administration. Ron McClinton it seems will disappear into the moonlight, soon to pop up in Germany or South Africa or Brazil-Where ever his campaign skills take him, I guess. And O'Connors fate is unknown at the moment, though it seems likely that someone will hire him, either in the communications industry or in politics.

-One last note: As I predicted, the idea of Bruno Gianelli as Communications Director was just silly. I think we may have seen the last of Bruno Gianelli for a while, and I hope he enjoys his retirement.

The major thing is no big surprises. I.E. No Bartlet dies, Walken dies, congress explodes, etc... But otherwise it's pretty free. If you step on Any ones toes, they'll most likely tell you. Welcome to the pack Ody!

Last edited:
The major thing is no big surprises. I.E. No Bartlet dies, Walken dies, congress explodes, etc... But otherwise it's pretty free. If you step on Antibes toes, they'll most likely tell you. Welcome to the pack Ody!

Seriously that's all the rules? Ok I would like to contribute too. What has happened with Kate Harper then over the 4 years?

Seriously that's all the rules? Ok I would like to contribute too. What has happened with Kate Harper then over the 4 years?

Kate and Will got married earlier this year. She's currently working as a Senior Fellow at the Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS), contributing articles to magazines and newspapers, she's written a book. So she's had a pretty good life.

Kate and Will got married earlier this year. She's currently working as a Senior Fellow at the Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS), contributing articles to magazines and newspapers, she's written a book. So she's had a pretty good life.

How is Will? Has he gone anywhere besides Ways and Means? I was considering Kate for a role on the NSC, but I don't know if that would mesh well. Kate did have a conservative streak

Will is likely going to be elected the Vice-Chair of the DCCC behind someone that's being worked out now (we have it down to two people). He'll probably get a high ranking this congress for ways and means. And I think there is a plot being worked out for Kate at the NSA, message Marky about that.

No, probably not. He didn't come on as Chair until late, and as much as the conservatives hate him, he's a brilliant political thinker (and we've written him out as such). He'll probably get to see a full term (till 2012) to see if he's got this long term or if he runs for office in Connecticut. For now though, he's at the DNC.

Tim might have posted one a few pages back, but if not, then he'll most certainly collect them for a post (not to over assume Tim ;) ). They started in the late 90s I think, are sporadic through the early hundreds, but hit there stride in the 110s. Go for a look.

Here's an updated little linked list to all the 535's (every state but Alaska, which Westbrook should be posting sometime soon).

And, btw, Josh was "purged" by the Santos administration. The Democratic freshmen in the House aren't exactly the kind who go lock-step with what Matt Santos (and his Singer-led staff) would've done, and Josh probably gets some credit for holding and expanding the House in what was otherwise a Republican-gaining year.

Donna's out of a job though.

cnn.com

Aubry courting Hill?

Senator Elect Aubry (D-CO), fresh off her staunch surprising win over 5 term incumbent Jack Moseley has been quick about putting together an excellent staff. Many see her as a future senate leader, and she's doing her best to set herself up for it. Putting an A-grade team together, and there is talk that soon to be-former First Lady's Chief of Staff Donna Moss, could become Aubry's chief of staff. They've had several meetings throughout the campaign, but most recently were spotted in Denver together.

But what's more intriguing about Aubry right now is what she's going with the Colorado delegation. She's greeting all of them, and conferring with them, even if from the opposing party, what she intends to Washington to do. She's been particularly happy that her old friend and mentor Nick Henderson won his seat back from Randal Nute. But Aubry has been reportedly trying to persuade Congresswoman Sophia Hill (R-CO-6), a longtime friend and confidant, to switch parties and join the democrats. Hill is a very moderate Republican, some might even say liberal. But if she does this seat switch, she'll have to vote against some important bills to save her seat. It has a CVI R+4. Many political pundits believe that Hill will take it as she's a little fed up with the national GOP establishment. So she could plausibly do it, and give the democrats another seat in their majority which would push their majority up to 231-204 (independents included).

OOC:
Wow......This is finally it. All of the states, done.
When I posted the first 535 back in April, I had the idea that each state would be handled by an native of that state. That didn't really happen. So I decided to take these on myself, just hoping to get 25 done. I never thought that I would get to 50.

Anyways, I need to thank two people in particular: Tim Thomason and KahukuMan10. Tim has been an invaluable resource, especially as I researched Illinois, and KMan not only injected a great amount of energy into the project, but also took care of California, a massive undertaking that I would have spent a vast majority of my time on. Their work is excellent. Gentlemen, I want to thank you both sincerely. I'd probably still be trying to figure out Texas if not for you both.

A special mention should go out to xxmagex for handling Kentucky.

Alright, final state-Alaska. The three main 535 writers each contributed to this article-KMan took Bruce, Tim designed Cantina, and I wrote the opener and Woodside. This article is set as of Election Day, so it's Tuesday, November 11th.

Thanks all for reading-I hope that you've enjoyed the articles.
And now: Alaska!

IC:
attachment.php

Post #50 of 50.

It's Election Day, finally!

Alright, before we finish off with Alaska, we have a lot of people to thank. The writers of the reports, In order of the states that we did them in:
Matthew Evans, Indiana;
Sarah Caldwell, Oregon;
Abner Vorhees, South Carolina;
John Graham, Maine;
David Lewis, Maryland;
Lee Wallace, Montana;
Richard Blue, Arizona;
Tim O'Sullivan, Massachusetts;
Parker LaRouche, California;
Kelly Na'lani, Hawaii;
Mark O'Donnell, New York;
Frank Grimes, New Hampshire;
Steve Noland, Florida;
Harry Gardner, Pennsylvania;
Carol Washington and Roger Greene, Illinois;
Lena Kiel, Washington State;
Katie Witt, North Carolina;
Ashley Moore, Nevada;
Tom Baldwin, Rhode Island;
Chuck Axe, New Mexico;
Nina Malone, Connecticut;
Bobby Lee Bowling, Oklahoma;
Will Kaeding, Virginia;
Courtney Sherman, Colorado;
Frank Giaccone, New Jersey;
Rich Cheney, Wyoming;
Jeffrey Brooks, Minnesota;
J.D. Damon, Kentucky;
Ernest Rogers, Iowa;
Reno Lutui, Utah;
David Robbins, Michigan;
Phil Grady, Idaho;
Frank Kellogg, North Dakota;
Jennifer Turner, Alabama;
Mel Drucker, Georgia;
Dave Dernazza, Louisiana;
Bill Lawrence, Nebraska;
Chris Procter, Kansas;
Cassie Ooten, Arkansas and West Virginia;
Jeff Callum, Tennessee;
and Ross Lott, Mississippi.
A special thanks has to go out to Vice President Wendell Tripplehorn and Congressman Matthew Skinner for agreeing to cover their respective states, South Dakota and Vermont. Also an additional heads-up to our staffers, Lucy Horn and Tim Kauffman for covering their home states of Missouri and Delaware, and to me as well, for covering Ohio. Also a sincerest Thank You to every member of the Texas Congressional Delegation who submitted answers for the Texas segment. Innumerable other writers contributed to the reports, and we'd like to thank them as well.

So, we're finally to the last state in the Union, and the farthest north, the Last Frontier, Alaska. The wildness is covered by Sean Berquist, a key reporter for the Juneau Empire, who I'm also going to thank.

There's literally only hours left, so I'm going to get started right away.

Sean Bruce, Democrat.
Residence: Anchorage
Committee Assignments: Agriculture, Armed Services, Energy and Natural Resources (Ranking Democrat)

Wait, what? An Alaskan Democrat? Not too uncommon actually. As Alaska was originally supposed to be a democratic stronghold when it entered the union, ah well. Mr Bruce has a very impressive record in the Senate, he's held true to the fiscal policies of the New-Deal democrats as he's been in this seat since the late 1969. He's shifted around different committees, and was the Majority Whip from 1982-1990 before deciding he wanted to focus on local issues. He was a captain in the US Navy during the later years of WW2 and the Korean War, and has become a decorated war hero for the people of Alaska. First elected in 1968, many suspected he'd hold the seat till he died. But his quest for an unprecedented 8th term, was stalled, and likely killed by Ms. Sorah Wheeler. Wheeler, the Alaskan House Speaker, is a mainstream republican, and its a little odd that she is winning this race considering how popular Bruce is. He still has 55/40 approval/disapproval ratings, but Ms. Wheeler seems poised to take over the seat

Robert Cantina
Elected: 2006 (special election; 2nd term)
Residence: North Pole
Cantina was appointed Senator after Senator Franklin Stephen Gaines sudden retirement in 2006. He won a full term in 2008 with minimal opposition. The ideological opposite of Gaines, Cantina ran on the idea that Gaines' social security reform was wrong for the nation and would work to repeal it. His efforts to repeal the bipartisan Gaines-Turner Bill failed, and Cantina has instead followed lock-step behind Senate Majority Leader Robert Royce, hoping to gain leadership positions in the near-future. Cantina was one of the more vocal opponents of the Santos administration, a fact that barred him from working with the White House at any point since 2006. However, as a former teacher, he was one of the few Republicans to support the Santos education plan in 2007.

At-Large Congressman:Franklin Woodside: Independent Democrat.
Residence: Anchorage; Elected: 1994.
Committee Assignments: Armed Services; Veteran's Affairs; Energy and Commerce.

Franklin Woodside should be Vice President right now, but he's not. It's a crying shame, but what are you going to do?

Woodside is an excellent Congressman, and maintains his "man of the people" act better than anyone. As he still owns his bookstore in Anchorage, and works there when he's not in Washington, Woodside takes the time to get to know his constituent's, and will speak with anyone who comes in the store.

Woodside, though he has never graduated from college, is a well-educated man, and a enormous reader. He's especially knowledgeable about military history, ranging from the Roman Empire to the Revolutionary War. Woodside is also a devotee of 'alternate history,' in which certain events happen differently, and so history is changed. He's contributed to several alternate history articles as well, including one where the United States does not buy Alaska (This became a problem when Woodside was accused of being part of the Alaskan Independence Party, a charge he vehemently denied). Woodside had a bit of a problem when he acquired both a US Cavalry saber and a Revolutionary War flintlock rifle, and displayed them in his Washington office, which caused both the Capitol and DC Police to freak out a bit, but the issue was smoothed over fairly quickly.

Woodside has claimed allegiance to the Democratic Party, but he's never been what you could call a party man. He's a major supporter of the military, and has argued against defense cuts, stating "Fiscal responsibilities are nice, but the defense budget should never be the first target. Are there problems with the budget? Probably, but there are other, more sensible cuts that can be made first." Woodside was one of the more prominent voices arguing for President Bartlet to respond with force against the Palestinians after the CODEL bombings in Gaza (Woodside himself is one of the more notable travelers in Congress, as he's participated in several dozen Congressionally sponsored trips throughout the globe). While he certainly can't be cast as an "environmental advocate," Woodside does hold some moderating positions on the environment-He's argued that global warming is a real problem, and needs to be stopped, and has also argued (quietly) against drilling in ANWR. He's never opposed the oil companies in an outright fashion though-That would be political suicide in Alaska.
Woodside is socially conservative-He's against gay marriage, and abortion in most cases, while he supports the rights of gun owners to a major degree. However, he's also argued for reforms in education (Likely his wife's influence) and health care as well.
However, he's made his main mark in military policy. Woodside has continually argued for stronger support for military forces, and stronger methods of veteran's support groups. Strangely, he's joined with New York Congressman Mark Richardson in sponsoring a bill for the reinstatement of the draft, saying that "The military changed me for the better, made me the man I am today. Every young man should serve time in the military, and it would make our country a better place."

Like I said earlier, Woodside should be Vice President right now, or at least have had a chance to be on the ballot. His Independent run with Nicholas Alexander was quite inspiring, and Woodside is still reported to be furious that Alexander quit. He would have made an excellent Vice President, and those tax "problems" I think were really a load of BS, part of the scandal obsession within our political media's culture-Everybody wants to be the next Woodward or Bernstein. Anyways, Woodside will win reelection easily, even though he's already announced that he will caucus with the Democrats.

Well, that's all of the states. Now get out there and vote!

Last edited:
politico.com, Thursday November 11th

Folan To Resign As Freshman Senator Joins Calls For His Head

Washington Governor Alex Folan is expected to announce his resignation today after further revelations that he interfered in an investigation into his sister-in-laws involvement in cases of insider trading and corporate espionage.

With new revelations that he attempted to have the DA’s lead investigator re-assigned and then fired Folan’s room for maneuver became increasingly smaller and a statement by incoming Senator Andrew Howard saying that Folan’s position was “untenable” appears to have been the final straw.

District Attorney Will Brayer – who many believe will run to replace Folan – threatened to resign over the Governor’s interference in the case but now seems likely to see off his boss.

If as expected Folan resigns with immediate effect Lieutenant Governor Sean Boone will ascend to the Governor’s mansion - this is likely to cause some consternation amongst Democrats as Boone is a Republican. At 32, Boone will become the 5th youngest Governor in US history.

townhall.com, Thursday November 11th

Former Wisconsin Governor Kicks-Off 2012 Election Bid

With the results of the 2010 elections barely confirmed (and some not even that), former Wisconsin Governor Nolan Kinnaird has confirmed that he has formed an exploratory committee to look at running against Wisconsin Senator Jeremy Lyons in 2012.

Kinnaird, who was Governor until 2004 serving two terms, told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that he was “exploring his options” and would “make further announcements when it was appropriate.”

Senator Lyons is seen by many as being vulnerable despite Matthew Santos winning the state in this year’s Presidential election. The Lyons camp are thought to be doing everything they can to put Kinnaird off running but so far their efforts seem to be falling short.

CNN.COM
Thursday November 11th 2010

Confusion regins in Ohio as now McIntosh claims victory

The utter chaos that is the Ohio senate race, has had another twist, when a few minutes ago, Caroline McIntosh told a packed press conference, that she was now claiming victory. The dramtic announcement came after Clark County released new results from thousands of absentee and provisional ballots that had not been counted on election night. Those results wiped out Straus 112-vote lead and vaulted McIntosh into a 452 vote lead.

CNN.COM

Thursday November 11th 2010

Straus "McIntosh has not won this race"

Hayden Straus has hit back after Caroline McIntosh claimed victory this morning in the Ohio Senate race after a count of absentee and provisional ballots in Clark county.
Straus said "The claim that she has won the election is false, she has not won, and we requesting the counting ourselves of absentee and provisional ballots in six counties, all the votes must be counted".

Status
Not open for further replies.