2000 and Beyond

Chapter 11

When the votes had been counted and Dole declared the winner she was called by Senator Bradley while Governor Shaheen gave a concession speech. Bradley thanked her for a great campaign, conceded, and then congratulated the Governor. When he was done he too gave a concession speech. Meanwhile the Republicans were ready for four years in the White House. Dole’s speech was being polished up and then she approached a crowded Hotel Ballroom to declare victory in what was supposed to be a close election. Her speech touched on the fact she was the first woman President, “It’s occurred to me I’m a lot of first,” she began, “I’m the first woman President with brown hair, the first woman President from North Carolina, the first woman President to have been a governor first, the first woman President to be married to a man who’s name begins with R, I’m the firs…” when the crowd saw what she was doing they were quick to burst into laughter. Dole’s speech was serious too, though, “We have enemies who wish to see the end of our country…I will not let that happen. We have children falling through the cracks of a poor, under-funded education system, I will not let them plunge.” When her speech had ended and she told the country that had just elected her President good night she stepped forward with her husband and Senator Thompson, still a bachelor, to wave to the crowd of supporters as the confetti and balloons fell. “Thank you” she repeatedly said. President Clinton, however, watched the results with Vice President Gore from the White House. Of course Hillary had won and there was much to celebrate, but he knew he would be turning the White House over to the opposing party, it was something he regretted personally. As Vice President Gore rose, giving Clinton an “I told you so” look, to exit the President shut off the tv and stormed to the Oval Office. It was not a good night for him.

Corbis-42-18738414.jpg

Ann Richards was watching from the Texas Governor’s Mansion. She turned to her staff and said, “Get ready, it’s woman vs. woman four years from now.” John Kerry watched from his home in Massachusetts as the television screen flashed the results before his eyes, “We’ll be back in four years, hell it isn’t that far away,” he reported to Teresa Heinz. Similarly John Edwards in North Carolina told his staff, “2-0-4 is our year.” As Democrats began the process of preparing to unseat Dole, the President-elect and her staff were filling cabinet positions. Liberals across the countries hung their heads in disappointment while their conservative friends gloated over their impressive victory. It was a rough night for the Democrats across the country, they’d hoped to pull out a win for the party and keep the White House blue for another four years: they had failed. Governor Dole was well on her way to the White House and there was nothing stopping her and her conservative agenda. One liberal commentator remarked, “A new era of conservatism has just begun.” How right he was, but what he didn’t know was that a series of unfortunate events would prevent that new era of conservatism from getting a head start.

Corbis-42-18738387.jpg

Chapter 12

It was snowing in Washington, D.C. on November 20th, something that reminded Dole of how much she missed North Carolina, as she rose to the top of a large building, formerly the location of her national headquarters but now the site for her transition office. Dole finished the final months of her work as Governor from her sprawling office in the Transition Center; the new governor would be inaugurated on January 6th and Dole would be present for the ceremony. Vice President-elect Thompson had already submitted his resignation to give Tennessee’s governor adequate time to find a replacement. In the meantime Dole was hard at work searching for the perfect cabinet, admittedly she had put this off. For Secretary of State she wanted someone strong with diplomatic abilities, someone who wasn’t a stranger to foreign leaders. In the end she arrived at one name: Dan Quayle. Quayle had the diplomatic background, being a former Vice President, and was respected within the party. Democrats would likely oppose his nomination, but that didn’t matter because Republicans controlled the senate with 54 votes. Her next choice was Secretary of the Treasury. She chose a business leader and a former public servant. In fact, Liddy had worked with the man in the Nixon years: John Snow. Snow seemed an obvious appointment to fill the position and so she chose him as Secretary of the Treasury. Next up was not a cabinet position but an influential appointment none the less: White House Chief of Staff. Dole considered numerous names, including her husband for a brief point in time, but eventually Dole went with someone from George H.W. Bush’s Administration: former Secretary of Commerce Barbara Franklin. Described as, “an advocate for and adviser to American companies doing business in international markets” {Wikipedia} Franklin was just what the President was looking for. Franklin graciously accepted the position and immediately joined the team in hopes of strengthening America’s economy and trade relations. For National Security Adviser Dole wanted someone who wasn’t afraid to speak his or her mind and the choice of Dick Cheney was growing increasingly obvious. Of course it could be seen as a possible demotion from his previous job as Secretary of Defense, but Dole offered him the position anyways. Cheney denied the offer. It was upsetting for the President-elect to be denied, but she decided to not give up. Her second choice, Condoleezza Rice, accepted the position. Dole didn’t like compromising on such an important position, but felt it was necessary. She needed a Secretary of Defense and Attorney General.

ahtv-barbara-franklin.jpg

Secretary of Defense was an important position. Liddy didn’t want someone who’d push her into war, but she wanted someone who would be capable of guiding her if such an event occurred. For the position she chose George HW Bush’s Director of the CIA: Bob Gates. Gates accepted the position, turning down job offers from numerous colleges and universities. Dole was glad to have Gates on board. For Attorney General however Dole relied heavily on her Vice President. Thompson advised her to select “a Bush-era Republican who hasn’t gone away…” and while Thompson refused to give a name the President-elect knew whom he was referring to. In her most controversial cabinet pick she chose Ken Starr for Attorney General. With her major cabinet positions out of the way she began meeting with staff on her first legislative ideas. “I don’t want to lose sight of our ultimate goals: I want to promote a Republican majority, a lasting Republican majority. How do we do this? We put aside the social agenda. We create jobs. We keep our country safe. The second the economy slips or we’re presented with a possible terrorist attack I want to know it. We begin, however, with Social Security reform.” While Bob Dole was given the position of “Legislative Director” for his wife’s administration he felt Dole was biting off more than she could chew, “Look Liddy,” he tried to explain to her one afternoon, “You can’t balance the budget, keep the country safe, create jobs, and reform social security in one year.” Elizabeth looked him in the eyes and said, “I know, but I’m you better believe I’m gonna try my hardest.” Bob rolled his eyes and the couple continued the nomination. Unfortunately, for Elizabeth however, Americans did not approve of Bob’s influence in the administration. One voter said, “Look, I voted for Clinton in 1996 because I didn’t like Bob. I didn’t vote for Bob in 2000, I voted for Liddy.” This was a problem Dole was going to have to confront, but in a press conference the President-elect nailed the answer, “Bob’s job as Legislative Director is to promote my legislative agenda, not his.” While Americans remained skeptical they were at least open to the idea.

Finally the cabinet had been chosen and it was time to wait until the Inauguration which stood only days away.

capitol-building-inauguration-bleachers.jpg

January 20, 2001, was a dry, freezing day. The temperature hovered at 30 degrees Fahrenheit and as President-elect Dole got dressed that morning she put on a warm coat and a simple, yellow, skirt suit. Taking a deep breath she exited her room in “Blair House” and walked down the hall. Secret Service agents reported, “Charlotte is on the move.” Appropriately, Dole’s nickname was the largest city in North Carolina and Bob’s was Cottonwood, the state tree of Kansas. When the two moved together “Package was on the move”. Finally Dole had reached the bottom of the stairs turned to her husband, the two only smiled. Their children were enjoying their final moments of freedom while Dole and her husband went to meet with President and Senator Clinton. The meeting consisted of a tour of the White House and the chance for the new President to ask any questions of the outgoing President. After the meeting Elizabeth and Bill entered the Presidential limousine and “Bamboo” was on it’s way to the White House with the First Gentleman-in-waiting and the First Lady behind President and President-elect. Finally the motorcade arrived at the U.S. Capitol and Dole and Clinton entered the building. As they exited the limo each were whisked away in opposite directions, Dole bracing for the moment of her life. As Hillary and Bob also went separate ways Bob recalled Hillary mumbling, “we’ll be back…” Bob didn’t let it get to him as he prepared for the moment he wish he’d had four years prior. By the time noon rolled around Elizabeth Hanford “Liddy” Dole approached the podium as Chief Justice William Rehnquist asked her to raise her right hand and repeat after him, “I, Elizabeth Hanford Dole, do solemnly swear…” he began.

Dole felt the cold surface of her family bible under her hand, “I, Elizabeth Hanford Dole, do solemnly swear...”

“…that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States…”

“…that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States…”

“…and will to the best of my ability…”

“…and will to the best of my ability…”

“…preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States.”

“…preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States.”

“So help me God.”

“So help me God.”

Corbis-0000369065-010.jpg

The millions of gathered below erupted into loud applause and the Chief Justice finished, “Congratulations, Madame President.” As Dole mouthed the words, “Thank you.” She hugged her family and shook the hand of the Chief Justice before turning to address those assembled. Dole waved and smiled as those below refused to, despite the cold, end their loud and thunderous applause. On the podium with Dole were former Presidents Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush, and Clinton and numerous legislative and congressional leaders. As Dole turned to see Vice President Thompson he nodded at her, showing his approval of the inauguration speech he’d read earlier in the day. Finally the applause dimmed down and the first woman President was ready to address the country, but there was more than an entire country watching: the entire world was waiting to hear from America’s first woman president. “Mr. Chief Justice, Vice President Thompson, Presidents Clinton, Bush, Reagan, Carter, and Ford, members of my cabinet and congress, fellow Americans: thank you for this extraordinary opportunity and honor to address you today. I stand before you the first woman President of this great republic. This great duty I’ve been entrusted with poses numerous challenges and hurdles that I will have to overcome because I was not elected to get my name in the history books, I have been placed in this office to continue the great legacy of our nation,” the new President began. In her speech Dole outlined “A New Way Forward” for the country. Promising significant social security and educational reform, Dole also maintained she would keep the Republic safe from those who wished the country harm. “At this critical point in our nation’s history we cannot bow down in fear in front of those who wish to harm our country, we must stand tall, knowing that we are the United States and we are capable of winning any battle and opposing any foe who wishes democracy harm.” Her inaugural address was very well-received by those gathered in front of Elizabeth Dole and those gathered around their television screens at home. When her speech was over her and Fred Thompson waved to those in the audience as “Stars and Stripes Forever” played and the new team left the podium. A new era of leadership had begun but before anything could be done, it was time to party…

Chapter 13

JANUARY 2001: DOLE TO MEET WITH LEADERS ON HILL TO DISCUSS SOCIAL SECURITY REFORM

19_elizabeth_dole_re-master.jpg

JANUARY 2001: SENATOR LIEBERMAN TO WORK WITH DOLE ON SOCIAL SECURITY, CALLS IT AN IMPORTANT ISSUE

lieberman1.jpg

FEBRUARY 2001: CONFLICT GROWS IN DOLE ADMINISTRATION: "BOB NEEDS TO RESIGN" SAYS ONE STAFFER

bob-and-elizabeth-dole.jpg

Chapter 14

In February tensions mounted between the staff and Bob Dole. Dole was attempting to control much of the president’s agenda and eventually it prevented progress on Dole’s social security reform. By the end of the month Bob Dole had stepped down and exited the stage in order to allow Elizabeth to continue her job. On March 15th Dole headed to the Situation Room where she was presented with horrifying information: Al Qaeda was gearing up for a large-scale attack on the United States. Unfortunately she had no idea how to respond because no one had any idea how they would attack. Dole decided to have the generals keep her inform and pressed them to get information quickly. Two days later President Dole was exiting the motorcade to enter a Broadway Production in New York. As she approached the theater several shots rang out. While the would-be assassin was quickly tackled to the ground the President had been critically injured and was rushed to a nearby hospital to undergo immediately surgery. As Vice President Fred Thompson became the acting President it appeared that the assassination attempt was another attempt in a string of incidents related to the “Curse of Tippecanoe” the outlook for President Dole was poor, but Vice President Thompson was faced with a critical decision: it appeared that Al Qaeda was planning on attacking the U.S. or one of its allies in several months. Going on very little information Acting President Thompson ordered the military to carpet-bomb suspected terrorist training camps in Pakistan and Afghanistan.

By the end of the night thousands of Pakistanis and Afghanis were dead, and the media criticized Vice President Thompson for abusing his power as acting president, but Thompson assured the American public there was credible intelligence. The next morning the President remained in critical condition, the surgery was unsuccessful and it appeared a second attempt might be in the works. As Americans gathered outside the White House to pray for the President, Vice President Thompson was gathering reports about what he had achieved the night prior. It appeared that three camps were successfully destroyed with many more damaged, but there was no word on if Al Qaeda’s leader, Osama bin Laden, had been hit. Unfortunately it didn’t appear so. Nevertheless it was confirmed that the Dole attacker was linked to Al Qaeda…it appeared to be the beginning of the attacks. Throughout the day of March 18th Elizabeth Dole remained in the hospital, doctors racing to save her life. The next day Vice President Thompson continued his reign as President. It appeared that most of Al Qaeda’s leadership had been destroyed, but there was no word on Osama bin Laden. Furthermore the Pakistani government publicly accused Thompson of using “cowardly” means. There was much speculation about a possible war with Pakistan, but on March 19th at 3 a.m. President Elizabeth Hanford Dole was considered to be stabilizing. Unfortunately for Dole when she’d return to the White House in 36 hours she would be faced with an America on the brink of war.

Finally March 20th arrived and the President returned to the White House. Appalled by the actions the Vice President had taken, she called both the leader of Afghanistan and the leader of Pakistan to Camp David, furthermore she demanded that Vice President Thompson submit his resignation. While many in her administration advised against it, the Vice President understood and complied. At the meeting at Camp David the President managed to peacefully negotiate a deal between the U.S., Pakistan, and Afghanistan. No nation would sponsor or privately support terrorism or terrorist groups such as Al Qaeda. Any nation found to be violating the agreement would suffer serious sanctions and face the possibility of further U.S. intervention. Though there appeared to be little gain for Afghanistan or Pakistan they knew they were boxed-in, Dole’s former Vice President had left Al Qaeda in ruins and Osama bin Laden dead…it was impossible to predict what else her administration was capable of.

In May Dole resumed talks over her Social Security project and the real efforts began to find a replacement for Vice President Thompson. Dole revisited her veep short list from a year ago. Immediately Bill Frist was put into consideration. Chief of Staff Barbara Franklin was a strong advocate for thinking outside of the box. She was convinced that a controversial name wouldn’t hurt the administration as bad as it would’ve hurt a campaign. Dole’s approval ratings were about 80% despite a full month after the assassination attempt. Looking at the numbers in front of her Dole began to consider what she’d need in a VP in 2004. For starters she needed someone who could attract rust belt voters, but also someone who could bring in conservative votes. She was too moderate to risk appointing her first choice: Lincoln Chaffee. After much consideration the president reached her decision: Senator Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania. The House, with little objection, passed Santorum. Democrats in the Senate were difficult and unwilling to budge from a “Nay” vote because of Santorum’s social policies, but in the end public support of him was too strong to prevent his nomination. With a new Vice President and a new social security package in the works the Dole term was well into its first year as President.

Chapter 15

MAY 2001: DOLE MEETS WITH HASTERT, HOPES TO PASS SOC. SEC. REFORM

Hastert-Gavel2_350.jpg

MAY 2001: TEXAS GOVERNOR RICHARDS CALLS FORMER VEEP THOMPSON "MORONIC"

ccau-ann-richards.gif

MAY 2001: SENATOR OLYMPIA SNOWE BACKS DOLE SOCIAL SECURITY PLAN, BEGINS WORKING WITH PRESIDENT

snowe.jpg

MAY 2001: CONGRESSWOMAN CLOSE MAKES BIG SPLASH: VOWS TO ROADBLOCK DOLE BILL

93417_programs_photo_260_original.jpg

JUNE 2001: DOLE ADMINISTRATION MAINTAINS SOCIAL SECURITY REFORM NEEDED

uewb_04_img0240.jpg

JUNE 2001: LIEBERMAN PUSHES SOCIAL SECURITY REFORM, CONTINUES TO HELP DOLE

110119_lieberman_approach_reuters_328.jpg

JUNE 2001: VICE PRESIDENT SANTORUM HEADS OVERSEAS, MEETS WITH SADDAM HUSSEIN

presidential-candidates-leading-republicans-address-20111007-192557-748.jpg

JUNE 2001: DOLE ADMINISTRATION UNDER FIRE FOR MEETING WITH HUSSEIN

saddam-hussein.jpg

Chapter 16

JULY 2001: DOLE APPROVAL SINKS TO 56% AFTER HUSSEIN VISIT

xinsrc_c8c42e76261045cf8f4254ffca4ff95c_SH.jpg

JULY 2001: MORE BAD NEWS FOR DOLE -- LIEBERMAN WALKS OUT OF SS TALKS, ANNOUNCES HE'S TAKING THE PLAN IN A NEW DIRECTION

liberman.jpg

AUGUST 2001: FORMER VICE PRESIDENT THOMPSON HOLDS FIRST INTERVIEW SINCE RESIGNATION, PRAISES DOLE

mtp_candidates_thompson_071104.grid-6x2.jpg

AUGUST 2001: LIEBERMAN/CLOSE TO INTRODUCE THEIR OWN SOCIAL SECURITY REFORM, DOLE APPROVAL SINKS TO 50%

glenn-close-medium-hairstyles.jpg

SEPTEMBER 2001: SOCIAL SECURITY REFORM NEEDED, SAYS DOLE, CALLS ON COUNTRY FOR SUPPORT

Corbis-WL008029.jpg

SEPTEMBER 2001: PLANE CRASHES INTO WORLD TRADE CENTER TOWER IN APPARENT TERRORIST ATTACK, 710 DEAD AS NORTH TOWER COLLAPSES

sept-11th-8.jpg

SEPTEMBER 2001: DOLE PROMISES REVENGE FOR 9/11 ATTACK

Corbis-0000359404-001.jpg

SEPTEMBER 2001: PLANE CRASHES INTO WORLD TRADE CENTER TOWER IN APPARENT TERRORIST ATTACK, 710 DEAD AS NORTH TOWER COLLAPSES

SEPTEMBER 2001: DOLE PROMISES REVENGE FOR 9/11 ATTACK

I am enjoying this wonderful TL of one of my favorite republicans who unfortunately never became President.

I do have one problem though. I dont think "revenge" is the best phrase to be used by Prez Dole. I think it would be more appropriate for something like "we will bring the perpetrators of this horrendous attack to justice." to be spoken during a Presidential speech.

Revenge seems more like "we will go out and start bombing the hell out of our enemies." While justice seems like "we will respond appropriately to prevent any more terrorist attacks on our homeland."

Wishing you well, his majesty,
The Scandinavian Emperor

Chapter 17

OCTOBER 2001: PRESIDENT DOLE ACCUSES BIN LADEN OF 9/11; MEETS WITH AFGHANISTAN LEADERS

Corbis-0000358493-005.jpg

OCTOBER 2001: SOCIAL SECURITY PUT ON HOLD AS VICE PRESIDENT SANTORUM FLIES OVERSEAS AGAIN

Rick-Santorum.jpg

OCTOBER 2001: MITT ROMNEY ANNOUNCES BID FOR U.S. SENATE, CONTINUES WORK WITH OLYMPICS

Mitt-Romney.jpg

NOVEMBER 2001: MCGREEVEY, WARNER TAKE GOVERNORSHIPS IN NJ, VA

00004.jpg

NOVEMBER 2001: IN SECOND ADDRESS TO CONGRESS SINCE 9/11, PRESIDENT DOLE URGES FOR CONFIDENCE IN LEADERSHIP

Corbis-UT0009190.jpg

NOVEMBER 2001: SENATOR DASCHLE...FOR PRESIDENT?! DEMOCRATIC LEADER VISITS IOWA, NEW HAMPSHIRE

2008-06-16-daschle.jpg

DECEMBER 2001: AMERICA WAITS FOR ACTION IN RESPONSE TO 9/11, SANTORUM AND DOLE CONTINUE TALKS WITH AFGHANISTAN, IRAQ, AND PAKISTAN

Corbis-0000333263-001.jpg

DECEMBER 2001: GOVERNOR RICHARDS, 67, TO SEEK REELECTION FOR "LAST TIME"

Corbis-42-17314191.jpg

Very interesting! I really love this timeline. It's sad to see Thomspon resign as VP so soon, but Santorum as the VP now is definitely interesting, to say the least. Can't wait to see what happens next! :D

JANUARY 2002: IN STATE OF THE UNION DOLE PROMISES TO "REBUILD" THE NATION, ANNOUNCES "AGGRESSIVE ANTI-TERROR POLICIES"

sotu.jpg

JANUARY 2002: SUSPECTED TERRORIST CAMPS IN PAKISTAN, AFGHANISTAN BOMBED

0502-AINTEL-BINLADEN_full_600.jpg

FEBRUARY 2002: SECOND WAVES OF ATTACK "SUCCESSFUL", BUT BIN LADEN PROMISES ANOTHER ATTACK

ap_osama_bin_laden_2_ll_110502_wg.jpg

FEBRUARY 2002: PAKISTAN, AFGHANISTAN GOVERNMENTS DEMAND U.S. STOP ATTACKS, BUT THIRD WAVE LAUNCHED

napakistan_t440.jpg

MARCH 2002: FINAL WAVE OF BOMBINGS LEAVES BIN LADEN DEAD

MW-AJ977_osama__20110501232303_MG.jpg

APRIL 2002: SANTORUM VISITS PAKISTAN AFTER BOMBINGS, WORKS TO RE PATCH RELATIONS

Rick-Santorum.jpg

APRIL 2002: INITIAL OPPOSITION TO BOMBINGS BY DEMOCRATS BACKFIRES SINCE BIN LADEN'S DEATH, HOUSE LEADER PELOSI CONGRATULATES DOLE ON SUCCESS

pelosi-2011.jpg

APRIL 2002: ROMNEY LEADS KERRY BY 1.5% IN POLLS

Mitt-Romney.jpg

Chapter 19

MAY 2002: DOLE COMPARED TO HARRY TRUMAN AS APPROVAL RATING SOARS TO 89%

truman-sm.jpg

MAY 2002: DOLE ADMIN TO RESUME SOCIAL SECURITY TALKS, FERRARO SAYS NO

geraldine_ferraro.jpg

MAY 2002: RON PAUL ANNOUNCES PRESIDENTIAL BID, VOWS TO DEFEAT "UNCONSTITUTIONAL POLICIES" INITIATED BY DOLE

images

JUNE 2002: REPUBLICANS LEAD ACROSS THE COUNTRY, GEORGE W. BUSH TO RUN FOR OPEN SENATE SEAT

George%2BW.%2BBush.jpg

JUNE 2002: DOLE APPROVAL STAYS STEADY AT 84% AS SOCIAL SECURITY TALKS RESUME

Corbis-WL008030.jpg

AUGUST 2002: ANN RICHARDS UP BY 0.3% IN TX GOVERNOR RACE, CORNYN PROMISES VICTORY FOR REPS

pols_feature-36254.jpeg

AUGUST 2002: MARK PRYOR FALLS BEHIND IN ARKANSAS SENATE RACE

2011-headshot-400px-web.jpg

SEPTEMBER 2002: DOLE APPROVAL @ 79% AS COUNTRY REMEMBERS 9/11

Rose%20Flag%20911%20Memorial.jpg

Chapter 20

OCTOBER 2002: CLOSE LOCKED IN CLOSE REMATCH AGAINST SHAYS

chris-shays-mad.jpg

OCTOBER 2002: BUSH POISED TO WIN BIG IN TX, BUT RICHARDS STILL HOLDS LEAD OVER CORNYN

ann-richards-4.jpg

OCTOBER 2002: KERRY DOWN BY 1.8% IN MASSACHUSETTS, HOPES TO CLING ON TO SEAT

john-kerry.jpg

OCTOBER 2002: RON PAUL CONTINUES FIGHT FOR GOP NOMINATION IN 2004, POLLS AT 8% AMONG REPUBLICANS

101203_ron_paul_605_ap.jpg

OCTOBER 2002: DASCHLE SPECULATION CONTINUES, SML VISITS ARIZONA AND IOWA

08daschle-600.jpg

OCTOBER 2002: SOCIAL SECURITY TALKS CONTINUE, NO DEAL IN PLACE YET...LIEBERMAN SUBMITS BILL

lieberman_vmed_2p_widec.jpg

OCTOBER 2002: EDWARDS VISITS SOUTH CAROLINA, IOWA

jrethumbnail.jpg

OCTOBER 2002: IN FINAL DAYS BEFORE ELECTION DOLE TRAVELS COUNTRY FOR THE GOP

Corbis-0000317697-007.jpg