1985 Sargent Shriver cabinet

I'm working on a ALT story and somehow Sargent Shriver becomes President (don't ask how) in 1985 and I need some help on who would be in his cabinet through 1985 to 1993.

need some help on who would be in his cabinet through 1985 to 1993.
For a familiar face, how about Gary Hart as Secretary of Labor?

I mean in OTL, he almost won the 1984 Democratic nomination for President. And his whole thing was about embracing change and bending the future curve of economics. [instead of trying to preserve manufacturing jobs and union pay scales, which at one time was maybe about 25% of American jobs?]

He would undoubtedly work very closely with Ted Kennedy in the Senate.

I would look towards people he served with in past administrations, either have them reprise their role or promote previous deputy secretaries. For a general idea on possible cabinet postings, you could also look to other Democratic 80s TL and see what direction they went in.

For a familiar face, how about Gary Hart as Secretary of Labor?

I mean in OTL, he almost won the 1984 Democratic nomination for President. And his whole thing was about embracing change and bending the future curve of economics. [instead of trying to preserve manufacturing jobs and union pay scales, which at one time was maybe about 25% of American jobs?]
Would Gary Hart accept the post? If he remains Party Darling in this TL, and comes close to the nomination like OTL, Sec of Labor might be a significant downgrade from what Hart is expecting.

I can certainly see McGovern getting a post maybe state unless Muskie has that covered but I could also see McGovern becoming UN ambassador. For VP I could see either Hart or Glenn getting tapped.

Sec of Labor might be a significant downgrade from what Hart is expecting.
And in truth, he might not accept it.

And on the face of it, this is a flaw in our U.S. system as compared to the UK parliamentary system in which the top political leaders of the party join with the Prime Minister in “forming a government.”

But the U.S. system gets highly talented people who just aren’t into politics as their number one interest. For example, Robert Reich worked in the Ford Administration somewhere in the Justice Department. And then he was Clinton’s Secretary of Labor from 1993 to 97 [Robert had made a promise to his family to only serve one term].

In 1985, Robert might have had the age and experience to be a deputy secretary.

Last edited:
Condoleezza Rice may very well be in the administration as well. I believe her first White House experience dates to Reagan or HW Bush

Not sure if this counts as part of the cabinet, per se, but maybe Lawton Chiles as Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency? He seemed to be pretty big on conservation.

And in truth, he might not accept it.

And on the face of it, this is a flaw in our U.S. system as compared to the UK parliamentary system in which the top political leaders of the party join with the Prime Minister in “forming a government.”

But the U.S. system gets highly talented people who just aren’t into politics as their number one interest. For example, Robert Reich worked in the Ford Administration somewhere in the Justice Department. And then he was Clinton’s Secretary of Labor from 1993 to 97 [Robert had made a promise to his family to only serve one term].

In 1985, Robert might have had the age and experience to be a deputy secretary.
There's no "might" about it. Senator to Secretary of Labor isn't a good trajectory for a rising star. State, maybe. Treasury, maybe. Even something like Interior, maybe. Labor, no chance.
Not sure if this counts as part of the cabinet, per se, but maybe Lawton Chiles as Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency? He seemed to be pretty big on conservation.
Again here, Senator to EPA administrator? Not even a cabinet role? Jumping from incumbent senator to that seems unlikely, that's the sort of role even an incumbent congressman might be reluctant to fill.

Last edited:
Again here, Senator to EPA administrator? Not even a cabinet role? Jumping from incumbent senator to that seems unlikely, that's the sort of role even an incumbent congressman might be reluctant to fill.
Christine Todd Whitman went from being the governor of New Jersey to EPA Administrator in 2001, after Bush entered office, so it might be possible.

Christine Todd Whitman went from being the governor of New Jersey to EPA Administrator in 2001, after Bush entered office, so it might be possible.
She had about a year left before having no office at all as NJ governors have a two consecutive term limit. EPA administrator compared to being out of office is obviously a good deal. EPA administrator compared to senator is not. Outgoing governors and incumbent senators is apples to oranges here.

There's no "might" about it. Senator to Secretary of Labor isn't a good trajectory for a rising star [Gary Hart]. State, maybe. Treasury, maybe. Even something like Interior, maybe. Labor, no chance.
I tend to very much agree. But maybe Hart in this ATL is very much trying to make the point that labor and jobs are vitally important to the American future [plus, maybe he’s chomping at the bit for an executive position he can sink his teeth into, after too msny years in the collegial Senate which maybe doesn’t really suit him?]