Would you see this TL take major ramifications on NC politics ?

• Total voters
Governor Hunt's Press Conference
2:00 PM EST, Saturday, November 10th, 1984
NC State Capitol, Raleigh, NC.

1-hunt-at-podium-ea72ba08.jpg

NC Governor & United States Senator-elect James B. Hunt, Jr., (D-NC) addressing the

Capitol Press Corps.
Governor Hunt as the Senator-elect walked up to the podium to address the Capitol Press Corps, who've been hounding him for the last couple of days since his landslide victory over Helms in the nationally-watched US Senate contest with nationally-syndicated TV interviews from CBS News, NBC News, ABC News, CNN, C-SPAN & radio interviews from across the Tar Heel State, some of whom called the Governor to congratulate him on his victory even telling him "It's a good day in NC indeed. We're glad that the long nightmare is finally gone." Others called to admit they voted for Helms, but respected Governor Hunt & wished him well.

Hunt: "Good afternoon my fellow North Carolinians. Once again, I would like to thank 6.2 North Carolinians who participated in the democratic process by expressing yourselves in Tuesday's election. While you might have voted for a different candidate, I never had a bad thing to say about those, who chose to go with a different candidate in a particular contest, but always respected the people's decision in expressing themselves. With a resounding landslide victory with 60% of the statewide vote & carrying an overwhelming majority of NC's 100 Counties (Governor Hunt carried 83 out of 100 Counties), I am blessed that many who have supported me & my family over the years, will be counted on as I head to the United States Senate in January of 1985.

Now in terms of when I take office, I'm NOT giving up the Governorship this early. My term as Governor ends on January 5th, 1985, when Governor-elect Martin takes office. I will be taking office either later that evening or Sunday, January 6th according to the appropriate time by US Senate Minority Leader Robert Byrd (D-WV) & US Senate Majority Leader Robert Dole (R-KS). I also note that a fellow Governor will be joining me in the United States Senate as well, I like to congratulate WV Governor Jay Rockefeller (D), who won a hard fought US Senate contest in WV.

I would like to answer some of your questions...."

Last edited:
You think Helms in his lame duck status, will try to influence the Grand Jury or some of his political staffers might use intimidation tactics ?

Remember, that while Helms was certainly a not-nice man, he wasn't venally corrupt.

He never sought personal gains, and that's why he avoided the scandals that weakened the North Carolina Democrats.

Obstruction of justice would be a bit too...dicey for Helms.

Remember, that while Helms was certainly a not-nice man, he wasn't venally corrupt.

He never sought personal gains, and that's why he avoided the scandals that weakened the North Carolina Democrats.

Obstruction of justice would be a bit too...dicey for Helms.

The trial in Charlotte will continue to drag on even further. Malansky will try to use "Blaming the victim" shtick for escalating the situation on that fateful night.

Senator Helms in-depth interview
1:55 PM EST, Tuesday, November 13th, 1984
Russell Senate Office Building, Washington, DC.

bipartisan-congressional-meeting-washington-dc-usa-shutterstock-editorial-10413574a.jpg

With the lame-duck period running fast, United States Senator Jesse Helms (R-NC) was inside his Senate office at the Richard B. Russell Senate Office Building, where NBC News' Jane Pauley interviewed the outspoken, hardcore, staunch Conservative icon.

Pauley: "Good afternoon everyone. We are here inside the office of one of the most outspoken & staunch Conservative icons in the United States Senate, United States Senator Jesse Helms (R-NC), who in about 2 months, will be leaving office after 12 years in office. Now, first things first Senator, how are you feeling ?"

Helms: "Jane. I am doing pretty good, despite losing the election several days ago, but I'm never backing off of my convictions or principles in standing up for what I believe in: promoting smaller government, strong national defense, the great American economy, which was created millions of jobs for Americans across this great country & cutting taxes."

Edwards
5:45 PM CST, Friday, November 16th, 1984

LA Governor's Mansion, Baton Rouge, LA.

1984-10-17 Fudruckers Opening.jpg

LA Governor Edwin Washington Edwards (D) was facing a whole bunch of problems in his 3rd term (which EWE took office for a 3rd historic term on March 12th, 1984 inside the LA House of Representatives chambers due to bad weather causing the outdoor Inauguration ceremony at the LA State Capitol Grounds in Baton Rouge, to be moved indoors): inheriting a total & epic mess from his GOP predecessor David C. Treen (R), who left unpopular due to mismanaging state government & depleting the budget surplus that EWE had left him 4 years earlier. Edwards' 3rd term was facing the numerous problems such as when state finances nosedived due to the Oil Boom going bust, devastating Gulf States like LA, TX, & others. Money from petroleum severance taxes decreased sharply during this time because of plummeting oil prices. In 1984, Edwards attempted to deal with the erosion of state revenue by approving $730 million..... he had requested $1.1 billion (which some legislators in the LA State Legislature balked)---in new personal taxes, including a 1 percentage point increase in the state sales tax, $61 million in higher corporate income taxes, & $190 million in additional gasoline taxes, which pissed off many Louisianans.

Edwards
5:45 PM CST, Friday, November 16th, 1984

LA Governor's Mansion, Baton Rouge, LA.

View attachment 489347

LA Governor Edwin Washington Edwards (D) was facing a whole bunch of problems in his 3rd term (which EWE took office for a 3rd historic term on March 12th, 1984 inside the LA House of Representatives chambers due to bad weather causing the outdoor Inauguration ceremony at the LA State Capitol Grounds in Baton Rouge, to be moved indoors): inheriting a total & epic mess from his GOP predecessor David C. Treen (R), who left unpopular due to mismanaging state government & depleting the budget surplus that EWE had left him 4 years earlier. Edwards' 3rd term was facing the numerous problems such as when state finances nosedived due to the Oil Boom going bust, devastating Gulf States like LA, TX, & others. Money from petroleum severance taxes decreased sharply during this time because of plummeting oil prices. In 1984, Edwards attempted to deal with the erosion of state revenue by approving $730 million..... he had requested $1.1 billion (which some legislators in the LA State Legislature balked)---in new personal taxes, including a 1 percentage point increase in the state sales tax, $61 million in higher corporate income taxes, & $190 million in additional gasoline taxes, which pissed off many Louisianans.

Ah, Edwin Edwards. Perhaps the last truly "great" Louisianan politician: flamboyant, corrupt, but fighting for the people all the same.

November 22nd, 1984:
BREAKING NEWS: KY US SENATE CONTEST RECOUNT DECIDED: MITCH MCCONNELL (R) DEFEATS HUDDLESTON

141112_pol_mcconnell_museum_mi_16x9_992.jpg

In the hotly-contested KY US Senate election between 2-term incumbent United States Senator Walter "Dee" Huddleston (D-KY) & his GOP challenger, Jefferson County Executive Mitch McConnell (R), the election was so close to call that none of the major national TV Networks or even the Associated Press projected a winner due to the extreme closeness. It had to be required for a full statewide recount in which all of KY's 120 Counties, KY Governor Martha Layne Collins (D) & KY Secretary of State Drexell R. Davis (D) refused themselves to avoid any conflict of interest.

Last edited:
November 22nd, 1984:
BREAKING NEWS: KY US SENATE CONTEST RECOUNT DECIDED: MITCH MCCONNELL (R) DEFEATS HUDDLESTON

840117MitchMcConnellrg

In the hotly-contested KY US Senate election between 2-term incumbent United States Senator Walter "Dee" Huddleston (D-KY) & his GOP challenger, Jefferson County Executive Mitch McConnell (R), the election was so close to call that none of the major national TV Networks or even the Associated Press projected a winner due to the extreme closeness. It had to be required for a full statewide recount in which all of KY's 120 Counties, KY Governor Martha Layne Collins (D) & KY Secretary of State Drexell R. Davis (D) refused themselves to avoid any conflict of interest.

Boo!!!!!!!

I'm cooking up more twists to this TL, I'll add more details on the trial in Charlotte sometime this week.

Last edited:
White
3:36 PM CST, Thursday, November 22nd, 1984

Governor's Office, Reception Room (2nd Floor)
TX State Capitol, Austin, TX.

small

TX Governor Mark Wells White, Jr., (D), whose approval ratings had been suffering badly because of the economic recession that had been devastating to the Lone Star State including several broken campaign promises he made to Texans back in 1982, was finishing up a press conference inside the Reception Room of the Governor's Office at the TX State Capitol in downtown Austin. He was highlighting the hot-button issues for the upcoming 69th Legislative Session coming up in the Spring of 1985. He also congratulated fellow Governors James Baxter Hunt, Jr., (D) of NC & Jay Rockefeller (D) of WV on their election victories to the United States Senate.

He also strongly defended his administration's decision to raise taxes on alcohol & cigarettes because he strongly believed we cannot put off the necessary tools of economic diversification & education reforms, which many TX high school student/athletes, teachers & boosters weren't thrilled of the No Pass/No Play initiative which he aggressively pushed through during a Special Session of the TX State Legislature during the Summer of 1984.

Eyewitness Accounts: Dianne Whitmer

I was at my family's cabin in the outskirts of Charlotte, NC on the night of July 27th, 1984. It wasn't hot nor cold, but very breezy including some drizzling rain. I went to sleep for awhile because of the long hardworking days of my job at the local TV news station.

Last edited:
CNN Polling Survey (October 17th to November 22nd, 1984)
Do you approve or disapprove the job President Reagan is doing ?
Approve: 64%
Disapprove: 23%
Not Sure: 10%

ABC News Polling Survey (November 7th to December 1st, 1984):

1988 Presidential Match-ups:
***Potential matchups:

Who would you like to see as the GOP nominee for President in 1988 ?
VP George HW Bush (R): 56%
United States Senator Bob Dole (R-KS): 26%
US Rep. Jack Kemp (R-NY St): 13%
Former US Secretary of State Alexander Haig: 3%

Who would you like to see as the Demnominee for President in 1988 ?
AR Governor Bill Clinton (D): 20%
TX Governor Mark W. White, Jr., (D): 18%
VA Governor Chuck Robb (D): 17%
United States Senator Gary Hart (D-CO): 9%
MA Governor Michael Dukakis (D): 5%

Last edited: