DDD.jpg

Robert walked through the crowded hallway shaking hands and talking to his bodyguard Bill. Bill didn't want him to go this way but Robert didn't care, it was a short cut what could happen? A teenager walked up to him. He raised his brown skinned hand for a handshake, Robert grabbed it and gave him a firm shake. A deafening shot rang out into the air. The young Teenager was shot and at that second Robert knew the bullet wasn't for the young Mexican boy. The Bullet was for him.

The Aftermath
The Aftermath
QQ.jpg
Robert was shocked about what happened. That poor kid was dead because of him. But he can't think about that, he has a campaign to run and he has to keep his mind on that. The Convention was in August, and he must prepare for it. But there was worry in the back of his mind. That poor boy Juan Romero was dead, just because some mad man named Sirhan Sirhan wanted him dead. The assassin hasn't even admitted he did it. He stopped himself, "stop thinking about it Robert" he thought. He went back to business, he has a meeting with his brother Ted and Eugene McCarthy his main opponent in the democratic race. This meeting was important, Robert knew Eugene hated him but he had to talk to him about this. Lyndon Johnson was up to something. Johnson hated Robert even more than McCarthy did, and he wanted Hubert Humphrey to get the nomination. So Robert had a plan to consolidate the Anti-War vote, a plan that if it succeeds could give the democratic party 4 more years in the white house.

Last edited:
The Meeting
Eugene walks into Robert's office with a frown on his face. Robert knew that McCarthy didn't want to see him, but McCarthy knew it must be important so he begrudgingly came. McCarthy sat down and looked at Robert. "Hi Eugene, and glad you came to see me."
"I wasn't going to come but Abigail said it must be important if you wanted to meet me." McCarthy said smiling.
"Well it is, Thats why I invited Ted." Robert said. "Well lets get down to it, Johnson going to try to give the nomination to Humphrey and kill any talks of having an anti war candidate" " So I have a proposition for you, If in the convention Johnson and Humphrey tries to shoot down the idea of an Anti War candidate, you give all your delegates to me."
"Now why the hell would I do that? I'm leading in the primaries, Humphrey hasn't even won a state." McCarthy said growing red in the face.
But Ted Kennedy cut in," McCarthy at this point Humphrey has the most delegates. Unless you two unite then Humphrey will win the nomination. And we all know Nixon would win against him."
"Eugene, listen to me, if you win the Convention this proposal doesn't matter. This only matters if it looks like Humphrey is going to win so we can stop Johnson and Humphrey." Robert said. "If I'm elected under this deal, you can have any cabinet position you want, and you can choose my Running Mate."
"I'll think about it Robert, but you do drive a hard bargain." Eugene said. He grabbed his Jacket and left the room. Robert and Ted both looked at each other. They didn't know what to say, but future seemed much brighter.

The Convention

Robert felt like he lost everything. The peace plank seemed like it was going to fail, Humphrey was leading in the delegate count, and violent protests are going on outside of the convention hall. He shuffled his papers, he has to go out and give a speech to the delegates, the peace plank must pass and if it doesn't a Nixon victory seemed evident. Robert walked up to the podium and looked upon the crowd of people, signs for a variety of different candidates dot the crowd, as the crowd begins to quiet down. Bobby tapped the microphone and put his papers down, and he began to talk. The words came out like a melody, and he began to not even use his notes. He spoke of the unjustness of the Draft, the cruelty of sending young boys to a foreign country just to die, and the destruction and mayhem that the war is causes. After 45 minutes of passionate words, the hall is filled with the thunderous sounds of applause. After 30 more minutes of deliberating the Peace plank passes by 200 votes. But now Kennedy must win the nomination. The delegate count was 959.25 for Humphrey, 603 for McCarthy, 913.5 for Kennedy, and the rest for a variety of different candidates. But something happened that nobody expected. Out of no where Eugene McCarthy walked up to the podium. And he gave all of his delegates to Kennedy, giving Kennedy 1516.5 delegate votes, and after two more polls Robert Kennedy was announced as the Democratic Nominee for President of the United States. Next on the list for the convention was picking the VP. In the early stages Delegates Tried to push for McCarthy, but after he declined the two most popular choices were Ralph Yarborough and Terry Sanford. But after a while debating and arguing, the delegates decide to chose Yarborough by a nail biting 4 votes. The 1968 election looked like it would be another ‘60, will Nixon be able to edge it out? Or will a Kennedy yet again win the presidency?

Last edited:
There’s not many souls in politics circa 1968 that called Bobby “Robert”. Actually maybe McCarthy, lol.

It’s plausible Reagan would pick Massachusetts Senator Ed Brooke as VP in ‘68. But there isn’t another plausible black VP for literally anyone else nor would RFK pick one in any universe where he has a chance to win. Because picking a black VP would (sigh, alas) instantly doom his campaign.

For that matter RFK would never undercut his future by unilaterally promising to leave Viet Nam unless he wanted to implode the Dem Party and he’s too smart for that. Planning on it sure, but to a bunch of non-voting hippies when he needs Catholic blue collar “Nixon Dems” to win?

I love RFK, he was probably the last best chance to maybe fix America enough, but like plausibility is a thing :).

There’s not many souls in politics circa 1968 that called Bobby “Robert”. Actually maybe McCarthy, lol.

It’s plausible Reagan would pick Massachusetts Senator Ed Brooke as VP in ‘68. But there isn’t another plausible black VP for literally anyone else nor would RFK pick one in any universe where he has a chance to win. Because picking a black VP would (sigh, alas) instantly doom his campaign.

For that matter RFK would never undercut his future by unilaterally promising to leave Viet Nam unless he wanted to implode the Dem Party and he’s too smart for that. Planning on it sure, but to a bunch of non-voting hippies when he needs Catholic blue collar “Nixon Dems” to win?

I love RFK, he was probably the last best chance to maybe fix America enough, but like plausibility is a thing :).
Your right do you know any plausible VP picks for Bobby? I was thinking about George McGovern, but do you have any other picks? Ill also fix the part with the hippies

The ideal fantasy VP is prairie populist Texas Senator Ralph Yarborough. He’s honestly perfect, except that the conservative lean of the state means he probably isn’t enough to carry Texas and as such falls down a few spots. But for like roughly speaking your ideal of RFK he makes the most sense. A personal favourite too, but honestly like the third choice. Terry Sanford is the most likely choice.

We all on the board have argued about this for a solid decade and a half. I don’t even wanna count the threads hahaha, but use the site search or “site:https://alternatehistory.com RFK vp” or similar string in DuckDuckGo or whatever search engine. Feel free to watch my Yarborough or bust position weaken over that stretch of time as I learned more lol. In other words this is a topic well argued over and much like say Sealion not something most feel like fighting again—which is the biggest reason you’ve had so few responses. I’m being upfront here, board culture is what it is and we prize plausibility.

I’m totally down for an RFK timeline, a consequence of fighting over it has meant shockingly few major works on the subject, but think “what would RFK the person circa 1968” do. He’s pretty awesome but also the hardline AG who got woke just in time to steal McCarthy’s thunder. A vicious cold hearted political operative who suddenly cared about the poors. Etc… he’s a flawed person like all of us and the underdog in both the primary and general.

Tricky Dick
It’s been so long since Richard had some peace in quiet. With the constant yacking of Political scientists and volunteers, he was just so sick of the campaign trail. But he has to keep his head down, and do his work. It can’t end up like ‘60 again. Nixon felt the feeling of deja vu, 1968 was supposed to be his year, his goddamn year, but it might all be ruined by that pinko Bobby Kennedy. He tried to keep cool as he prepared for the debates. He knew how important looks are, and he can’t mess up like he did in 1960. No. this is the year of Nixon, and nobody’s going to stop that, not Bobby Kennedy, not Ronald Reagan, and certainly not those pinko hippie protesters.

Richard always hated the makeup room. It’s such a stupid thing for a politician to do. Wear make up! It sounded absurd back in 1960, but that’s one of the reasons he lost. After the gut reaching 10 minutes of prep, he had to get on stage. He grabbed his papers and ran up to the podium, with a large grin on his face. He had to look good, these debates are going to be how he wins the election.

Hey Guys! Sorry about the lack of posts. I've was in a car accident, but I'll start writing new posts by monday! Stay safe and watch the road.