1940 How long can Denmark resist?

On 9 April 1940 Germany invaded Denmark which surrendered after 4-6 hours.
If Denmark had given resistance how long could they have lasted? Probably less than a couple of days.
Would the invasion of Norway have been affected?

Last edited:
If they trash Aalborg and mine the straits, they could give the Germans difficulty in Norway, though the mining would have to be preemptive. If Denmark is fully mobilized and expecting an attack, and the King orders the military to resist, I imagine Jutland would still fall in a day or two max, though the Navy and the coastal artillery I assume is plentiful in the straits could protect Copenhagen a bit longer, but that’s about it.

I doubt they'd last a week with the level of preparation they had which was at best "Oh shit! The Nazi's are bad!" If the Danes called up their army, mobilised, started mining coastal waters, flew their airforce to a neutral country like Sweden or Norway and ripped up Aalborg airbase as well as orders coming from the King and Government to resist and defend the country. And this would require time beforehand to do all that, to prepare rather than wake up and go "Oh...so thats what Panzer I and II's look like up close."

And if the Danes went like that, whats the odds that Hitler will go "Surrender now or we turn Copenhagen into a crater."

If the Danes fully mobilized and were ready to fight they might last MAYBE a week. Caught as they were, anything longer than a day's a bonus/pleasant surprise. Folks mentioned the coast defences, they're of little use, guess where their guns are pointing for the most part. And they're not going to do much against Stuka's other than be targets.