Conroy was a really off and on author. He could write some fun even if implausible stuff, and then some stuff that was just bad. The worst was some poorly thought out story about how the Nazis occupy Canada after a successful Sealion (heh) and thus is set up a ground war fought on US soil. Which sounds like a fun idea, but it's ruined by continual comments about how 'they just can't beat us while we're fighting on our home ground", which is exactly what happens at the end. Some doubt would have made it a better story...

A woman drugs her friend and has her way with her to teach her about sex and to not be such a prude.
Wow. I'm glad I never read any of Conroy's works, even though some of them interested me. For all the issues that AH fans have with Turtledove (personally, I love the guy and view him positively as a source of inspiration, seeing as how he was my first foray into AH as a genre), at least he never wrote anything that crude and tasteless.

Wow. I'm glad I never read any of Conroy's works, even though some of them interested me. For all the issues that AH fans have with Turtledove (personally, I love the guy and view him positively as a source of inspiration, seeing as how he was my first foray into AH as a genre), at least he never wrote anything that crude and tasteless.
He's not actually a bad writer. Most of his stuff is on the soft end of AH, but they're pretty fun adventure stories. I recommend you give them a try (except for 1862, 1784, and maybe Day After Gettysburg, I find those books terrible), and just ignore his habit of adding a random sex scene in every book (something he shares with Turtledove)

Conroy is basically Turtledove but more so, and lacks HTD's genuine deep knowledge of the Byzantine Empire. He writes (well, wrote) tropey adventure romps based on very broad-strokes pop-culture understandings of history that at best play fast and loose with plausibility. Sometimes incredibly cringey bits are included, like really bad sex scenes that seem to be inserted out of a sense of obligation. HTD has more self-control, though, so he takes several books to go from "slightly implausible but interesting" to "oh, come on, that's just ridiculous!" Conroy does things like "Washington somehow loses Yorktown so the British swiftly wrap up the rebels and kill 'em all so some diehards start again in the Great Lakes region", "Goebbels forms a super-scary secret Nazi fortress in the alps that 'Murica must crack before they somehow reconquer Europe", "The British attack America in a Trent war but screw up so badly that they end up switching sides in humiliation to put down the Confederates"*, and of course "Kaiser Wilhelm decides he is a Nazi and wants his lebensraum in NYC or California and somehow is able to invade America".

*I haven't read that one but that's what I heard 1862's plot is like.

Conroy is basically Turtledove but more so, and lacks HTD's genuine deep knowledge of the Byzantine Empire. He writes (well, wrote) tropey adventure romps based on very broad-strokes pop-culture understandings of history that at best play fast and loose with plausibility. Sometimes incredibly cringey bits are included, like really bad sex scenes that seem to be inserted out of a sense of obligation. HTD has more self-control, though, so he takes several books to go from "slightly implausible but interesting" to "oh, come on, that's just ridiculous!" Conroy does things like "Washington somehow loses Yorktown so the British swiftly wrap up the rebels and kill 'em all so some diehards start again in the Great Lakes region", "Goebbels forms a super-scary secret Nazi fortress in the alps that 'Murica must crack before they somehow reconquer Europe", "The British attack America in a Trent war but screw up so badly that they end up switching sides in humiliation to put down the Confederates"*, and of course "Kaiser Wilhelm decides he is a Nazi and wants his lebensraum in NYC or California and somehow is able to invade America".

There is one book I would like you to comment about, this one

He's not actually a bad writer. Most of his stuff is on the soft end of AH, but they're pretty fun adventure stories. I recommend you give them a try (except for 1862, 1784, and maybe Day After Gettysburg, I find those books terrible), and just ignore his habit of adding a random sex scene in every book (something he shares with Turtledove)
Well that's somewhat reassuring. I might have to give em a try, though I'm gonna be swamped with research for my timeline as well as my college shit for the foreseeable future.

The British attack America in a Trent war but screw up so badly that they end up switching sides in humiliation to put down the Confederates"*,

Yeah that's about right. The biggest eyebrow raiser is the Duke of Wellington is somehow alive a decade after he actually died.

and of course "Kaiser Wilhelm decides he is a Nazi and wants his lebensraum in NYC or California and somehow is able to invade America".

In fairness, the Imperial Germans did actually have real and developed plans to attack the United States. It is legitimately insane, but that was a real thing...

Yeah that's about right. The biggest eyebrow raiser is the Duke of Wellington is somehow alive a decade after he actually died.
That's Harry Harrison's The Stars And Stripes Forever, an America-wank by an Irishman who basically wrote his fantasy of America beating the tar out of a cartoon pastiche of evil Britain.
In fairness, the Imperial Germans did actually have real and developed plans to attack the United States. It is legitimately insane, but that was a real thing...
Those weren't really supposed to be executed, they were a thought experiment by generals who knew that the very idea of implementing them was so comically insane it would only happen if the world had gone mad.

That's Harry Harrison's The Stars And Stripes Forever, an America-wank by an Irishman who basically wrote his fantasy of America beating the tar out of a cartoon pastiche of evil Britain.

Those weren't really supposed to be executed, they were a thought experiment by generals who knew that the very idea of implementing them was so comically insane it would only happen if the world had gone mad.
You mean like in 2020?

You, I like your analysis, so since you was ranting in one thing I wanted to know your opinion on this other thing
It's a shitty genocide fantasy written by an awful person as an instruction manual for terrorists. It is one of maybe three books ever to exist that I would be happy to see banned, with every copy destroyed, and the entire narrative completely erased from history.

Conroy was a really off and on author. He could write some fun even if implausible stuff, and then some stuff that was just bad. The worst was some poorly thought out story about how the Nazis occupy Canada after a successful Sealion (heh) and thus is set up a ground war fought on US soil. Which sounds like a fun idea, but it's ruined by continual comments about how 'they just can't beat us while we're fighting on our home ground", which is exactly what happens at the end. Some doubt would have made it a better story...
It wasn't a successful sealion that the Nazi's pulled. It was Halifax becoming PM along with the Nazi's holding the B.E.F. hostage alongside pretty much all food imports into Britain that enables the Canadian bases, which admittedly is nearly as bad but still not sealion level bad. I will say I did like how he had the RN bail to the US to be interned instead being at risk of the Nazi's taking control of it.

It wasn't a successful sealion that the Nazi's pulled. It was Halifax becoming PM along with the Nazi's holding the B.E.F. hostage alongside pretty much all food imports into Britain that enables the Canadian bases, which admittedly is nearly as bad but still not sealion level bad. I will say I did like how he had the RN bail to the US to be interned instead being at risk of the Nazi's taking control of it.
whoops. Been years since I read it...

It's a dumb schlocky story reliant on a mangled understanding of pop-history where proto-Nazi Imperial Germany invades New York because we wouldn't sell them colonies and the British just twiddle their thumbs so Teddy Roosevelt has to get ex-confederates to lead the army and show the Krauts and Yankees how real men fight, and in the end the Germans are defeated in a pitched battle and so the Nazis take over in a coup and declare a Third Reich while plotting the genocide of Jews and Slavs and I'm sorry why is Britain still sitting on its ass doing fuck all?
german battleships were designed for operations in north sea not half way across the world
Average household in america has the same number of firearms as a squad of germany infantry
no airpower or subs at this time either
It is one of the WORST AH books ever
The whole premise of eastern seaboard invaded by germany in 1901 is just as implausible as sea lion in 1940