This. God I fucking hated the shit out of his writing for this. I read 1862, 1945, and some other dumb book where Himmler takes power in 1944 after Hitler gets killed. The American exceptionalism felt disturbingly masturbatory.

I honestly need to throw those books in the fire. I've put it off for too long.
Germania, I think. Himmler or Goebbels builds a redoubt in the Alps and the French are pussies who only care about themselves, Churchill is a coward who bows out for whatever dumb reason, and Stalin is a dick who doesn't care, so it's up to Glorious 'MURICA to show the pathetic frogs and tea-sipping buffoons how to kick some Kraut ass for FREEDUMB!

the awfulness that was Liberty 1784.
I hadn't heard of that one, so went and looked it up and...WHAT? How does Yorktown end catastrophically for Washington? He was trapping a British army that was beaten down and literally running away from the particular bout of idiocy that was the entire southern campaign. How can he possibly bungle that? Horatio Gates would have hand trouble bungling that, and bungling was literally all that Gates was good for. Washington had an army that the British had just spent the last several years hiding in New York from.

There was a fair bit of British investment in US industries, a lot of cross pollination between upper class families and it turns out for most of 1901 there was a Royal tour happening in Canada (Prince George later George V & his wife). I guess it was to beef up colonial support for the Boer War & a reminder that even though Victoria was dead the monarchy endured. So I would say if a flotilla of German Navy ships packed with troop was spotted (it would be hard to muster that many troops and ships then sneak passed Norway, Sweden & Denmark into the North Sea with out someone telling the Admiralty) the Royal Navy who were not really involved in the South African conflict would be steaming after them.
Like they steamed after the russian fleet in 1905, which actually sunk some british boats? Remember, this is 1901, not 1914. This is a time, as Britain still searched an alliance with Germany. If the Germans get a bloody nose by the Americans, they are propably humbled enough, to accept Britain offer. If on the other side, if the Americans back down, then is the Monroe-doctrin dead and South America is free for all.

This. God I fucking hated the shit out of his writing for this. I read 1862, 1945, and some other dumb book where Himmler takes power in 1944 after Hitler gets killed. The American exceptionalism felt disturbingly masturbatory.

I honestly need to throw those books in the fire. I've put it off for too long.
He was one of the first AH authors I ever read, so his books hold a special place for me. But my god his writing could be infuriating. 1862, 1784, and Day After Gettysburg I just can't read again

It's a dumb schlocky story reliant on a mangled understanding of pop-history where proto-Nazi Imperial Germany invades New York because we wouldn't sell them colonies and the British just twiddle their thumbs so Teddy Roosevelt has to get ex-confederates to lead the army and show the Krauts and Yankees how real men fight, and in the end the Germans are defeated in a pitched battle and so the Nazis take over in a coup and declare a Third Reich while plotting the genocide of Jews and Slavs and I'm sorry why is Britain still sitting on its ass doing fuck all?
WTF? Actual Nazis, swastikas and all, in the 1900s!? How!?

WTF? Actual Nazis, swastikas and all, in the 1900s!? How!?
no swastikas IIRC, and they don't call themselves Nazis. Not so much a coup as a change in government after the monarchy falls; civilians take over. The new government does have one Nazi-ish factor in that the new PM says he is going to distract the public by blaming the Jews for everything that went wrong. And Britain doesn't exactly do 'fuck all', they pretty much arm the new US army and provide the USN a safe haven in Canadian waters to gather together...
Because the author's works are super shallow and run on schlock.
were super shallow, I think he passed away a few years back...

no swastikas IIRC, and they don't call themselves Nazis. Not so much a coup as a change in government after the monarchy falls; civilians take over. The new government does have one Nazi-ish factor in that the new PM says he is going to distract the public by blaming the Jews for everything that went wrong. And Britain doesn't exactly do 'fuck all', they pretty much arm the new US army and provide the USN a safe haven in Canadian waters to gather together...
There is a coup and the new regime (I'm pretty sure it was a military regime actually) declares themselves the Third Reich and decides to go looking for lebensraum in eastern Europe.

Arming the US army (when the US by this point was an unstoppable industrial juggernaut that could easily supply itself and then some) and offering a "safe haven" from a mad-dog country that's rabidly attacking a white industrial power for ridiculously flimsy reason is also effectively fuck all, because the former is unnecessary beyond the first month and the latter isn't actually any help at all against a rabid enemy that will stop at nothing to attack America because of inherent German warmongering nature (or something like that).

There is a coup and the new regime (I'm pretty sure it was a military regime actually) declares themselves the Third Reich and decides to go looking for lebensraum in eastern Europe.
went and looked at the last chapter again.... it was sort of a coup, in that army reservists joined with the civilians in attacking the chancellor building, although it didn't seem to be a full out military coup (apparently, the military leadership suffered right alongside the civilian ones). The new government is a civilian one. The new (temporary) PM of sorts is a civilian, and there is a note that a new constitution is being drawn up, and the monarchy is out. While they don't out and out title their new regime the Third Reich, they say that they are building a Third Reich, so sorta. The new PM of sorts does say that he wants to absorb parts of AH and Denmark and other places.
Arming the US army (when the US by this point was an unstoppable industrial juggernaut that could easily supply itself and then some) and offering a "safe haven" from a mad-dog country that's rabidly attacking a white industrial power for ridiculously flimsy reason is also effectively fuck all, because the former is unnecessary beyond the first month and the latter isn't actually any help at all against a rabid enemy that will stop at nothing to attack America because of inherent German warmongering nature (or something like that).
the book does mention that the US eventually retools it's industry to make it's own rifles (primarily by copying the German field arm, ironically)... but those first couple of months when the US desperately needed to build up it's forces PDQ, the US industry was inadequate to do so, so the British arms were vital (rather like the north in the ACW).

I rather liked it. It was FUN alternate history. Ridiculous, and likely impossible to happen in reality, but fun nonetheless.

Germania, I think. Himmler or Goebbels builds a redoubt in the Alps and the French are pussies who only care about themselves, Churchill is a coward who bows out for whatever dumb reason, and Stalin is a dick who doesn't care, so it's up to Glorious 'MURICA to show the pathetic frogs and tea-sipping buffoons how to kick some Kraut ass for FREEDUMB!
IIRC, The UK didn't continue the fight because Churchill was gone and already replaced with Atlee. Whether or not Atlee would/would not continue the fight, I can not say
He was one of the first AH authors I ever read, so his books hold a special place for me. But my god his writing could be infuriating. 1862, 1784, and Day After Gettysburg I just can't read again
Just out of curiosity, what was wrong with Day after gettysburg? I rather liked that one

Just out of curiosity, what was wrong with Day after gettysburg? I rather liked that one
Mostly that it felt like a re-thread of Gingrich's "Never Call Retreat", a book I already dislike because it portrays Grant as a sort of flawless robot. So Day After Gettysburg, to me, was a worse version of a book I already thought was bad.

I still own it, so I might read it again. Maybe my opinion's changed since the last time

Mostly that it felt like a re-thread of Gingrich's "Never Call Retreat", a book I already dislike because it portrays Grant as a sort of flawless robot. So Day After Gettysburg, to me, was a worse version of a book I already thought was bad.

I still own it, so I might read it again. Maybe my opinion's changed since the last time
Ah, I see. I never actually read any of Gingrich's Civil War books. I'm about a quarter way through his Days of Infamy though.

I hadn't heard of that one, so went and looked it up and...WHAT? How does Yorktown end catastrophically for Washington? He was trapping a British army that was beaten down and literally running away from the particular bout of idiocy that was the entire southern campaign. How can he possibly bungle that? Horatio Gates would have hand trouble bungling that, and bungling was literally all that Gates was good for. Washington had an army that the British had just spent the last several years hiding in New York from.
IIRC the PoD is the British fleet sent te relieve the siege wins the battle of the Chesapeake. This causes US army to become demoralized and during the breakout attempt Washington's luck runs out and he gets captured which causes the army to fully collapse.

Ah, I see. I never actually read any of Gingrich's Civil War books. I'm about a quarter way through his Days of Infamy though.
The first novel is a 10/10 easily. The second is almost as good, but near the end you can tell the authors started course-correcting to reach the ending they wanted, and the last novel is just really hard course-correcting.
I haven't read Days of Infamy, I need to check it out.

IIRC the PoD is the British fleet sent te relieve the siege wins the battle of the Chesapeake. This causes US army to become demoralized and during the breakout attempt Washington's luck runs out and he gets captured which causes the army to fully collapse.
Sigh. The myth that the continentals weren’t a match for the Redcoats in open battle continues I see. But beyond that...if the British fleet won the battle why was Cornwallis breaking out instead of getting on the ships and running like he wanted to?

(None of this is directed at you. I’m just grumbling.)

I remember enjoying Conroy's work as a teenager as adventure stories, but even then I found the sex scenes to be ... unnerving.

In regards to 1901, SLP published a book called Freedom's Rampart by Katherine Foy that does the basic concept much better.

I remember enjoying Conroy's work as a teenager as adventure stories, but even then I found the sex scenes to be ... unnerving.

In regards to 1901, SLP published a book called Freedom's Rampart by Katherine Foy that does the basic concept much better.
You mean the lesbian totally-not-rape sex scene in 1862?