1864: Our United States of America

Who would be Abraham Lincoln's running mate?

• Hannibal Hamlin

Votes: 26 42.6%
  • Joseph Holt

Votes: 9 14.8%
  • John Adams Dix

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • Daniel S. Dickinson

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • Benjamin Butler

Votes: 19 31.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1. Should freedmen be allowed to form their own militias?
A. Yes
B. Yes, but only those who do not have any criminal records are allowed to join and form militias
C. Yes, but they would have to patrol alongside federal troops
D. A combination of B and C
E. No

2. Should land be redistributed to poor Southern whites who had taken an oath of loyalty?
A. Yes
B. Yes, but only in yeoman-majority areas such as East Tennessee
C. No
1. A
2. A

A combination of A and C. We need the freedmen to be able to defend themselves as well as possible from the slavocratic south. Besides some of the former imprisonments might have been unjust. Having federal help would be a boost however
2. Should land be redistributed to poor Southern whites who had taken an oath of loyalty?
A. The only way I can see this strategy of land redistribution in the former slavelands work is if the poor whites also have the opportunity to advance in society. Otherwise they’ll be more likely to join the racist societies seeing as they would see the freedmen be given “an unjust advantage” over themselves. This way the new south can be built by black and white settlers equal and together and a class of poor white people can be supportive of the new order

Last edited:
A No brainer
A Just on its own it is good idea to do land reform. We also need a way to motive poor whites to at least grudgingly accept the new order.

1. D, make the militias something official not just another gang, plus helps shift the financial burden off the feds, in addition maybe something akin to the post ww2 civilian marksmanship program, more or less free surplus weaponry to recognized groups and individuals meeting certain criteria.
2. A, definitely, puts all "loyal" citizens on an equal footing meeting the objective of a colorblind society as states in the OTL 13th amendment.

A) We should expect some retaliation attacks from some in the defeated population. The Freemen need to be able to defend themselves.
A) As others have said, we need to take steps to win over poor whites. If only to make things easier in the long run.

This is why I wanted the Freemen to colonize the new territories but everyone chose to upset the South even more...
--
D) Letting the Freemen have their own militias would help against the Knights but only allow those without a criminal records and be part of the federal troops.
B)

1. A
2.A

also, forrest being dead will be interesting. I wonder if anyone else had his charisma to create and lead an alt kkk? Another reason for black militia to exist As a safe guard.

@Violetcavaleir While it goes against what I want I can respect that, but your proposal would like result in things being the same as OTL. So even if you are here for an interesting TL rather than a dream of better reconstruction, I think you should reconsider.

@Violetcavaleir While it goes against what I want I can respect that, but your proposal would like result in things being the same as OTL. So even if you are here for an interesting TL rather than a dream of better reconstruction, I think you should reconsider.
You misunderstand me, my logic is twofold
1. I want reconstruction to be a total disaster, not out of any petty political desire, but rather because it would cause mass unrest and chaos in the south by making both sides angrier and therefore more violent with each other.
2. I know my preferred options will not be voted on, but let me tell you I do not appreciate it when a vote tally come back and there are options that received zero votes, I am here to remedy that even if by one vote.

@Violetcavaleir Actually I realize that you want chaos, that is what I mean by you wanting an interesting TL. I certainly do not accuse of you trying to satisfy petty political desires. I mean in this case it would be claiming that you are a racist. It would be stupid to make such a baseless accusation. If anything, I'm here to satisfy a political desire to have a better reconstruction. What I mean is that your choices will in my opinion result in things being the same as OTL which would make a rather boring TL.

@Violetcavaleir Actually I realize that you want chaos, that is what I mean by you wanting an interesting TL. I certainly do not accuse of you trying to satisfy petty political desires. I mean in this case it would be claiming that you are a racist. It would be stupid to make such a baseless accusation. If anything, I'm here to satisfy a political desire to have a better reconstruction. What I mean is that your choices will in my opinion result in things being the same as OTL which would make a rather boring TL.
Fair enough, but I intend to keep voting for the worst/most chaotic options to create the bleakest America possible, this is just the first of those.

D) The freedmen need to be able to defend themselves but having them integrated alongside the federal troops and patrolling together will help with easing the financial burden and also will likely help keep better order.
A) This may be a way to get the poor whites to accept the new order if begrudgingly and lessen the chance of their resentment and anger being taken advantage of to stir them up against the blacks. With whites and blacks on an equal footing perhaps it will even be a small step towards establishing a peaceful coexistence in the new South.