Map of the Fortnight: Main thread

This is pretty good idea.

Probably better than my MotM Idea:

It seems a little simple, I probably do that for most of my maps anyway.

How about an expanded one:

Encyclopaedia Cartographica: Make an encyclopaedia-style profile for a country, organisation or similar entity. As well as a map you must include details you'd find in a typical Wikipedia article: the flag and coat of arms as well as details about the entity's history, politics, member states etc.
That's the sort of thing you could spend a month on. Like the previous MotM it involves a reasonable amount of text as well.

Krall

Banned
It seems a little simple, I probably do that for most of my maps anyway.

How about an expanded one:

That's the sort of thing you could spend a month on. Like the previous MotM it involves a reasonable amount of text as well.

Ooo, now that would be great!

MotF 3 is over half a year away, however, so we really ought to return to discussing which challenges we'd like to see for MotF 106. Here's the list I posted on the last page, plus any other challenges that have been suggested since:

Give Me Liberty, or Give Me Death!

Make a map showing an ongoing revolt or rebellion.
The Great Rebuilding

Make a map of an urban reconstruction effort.
The Pale Continent

Make a map showing arbitrary colonial borders in Europe in a timeline where it was colonised by countries from another region.
Natives? What Natives?

Make a map showing arbitrary colonial borders.
The Locked Country

Make a map showing a country which has isolated itself from the rest of the world.
Lights, Camera, ACTION!

Show a map of a nation's (or an international) movie industry.

And feel free to suggest any new challenge ideas you have or resuggest old ideas you liked from the Wiki list. :)

Ooo, now that would be great!

MotF 3 is over half a year away, however, so we really ought to return to discussing which challenges we'd like to see for MotF 106.

I thought a MotM happened in December over holidays?

That said, for 106 I'm still pushing for Human Nature, which was suggested but not on the list immediately previous. :)

I like that as well:

Pastures New
Make a map showing an artificially created landmass.

Remember the entries of MotF 93? There were two entries with channels and an incompletely entry with a lake I still have trouble with where to locate it. I want to see the dry entries that were lacking back then. Oh, did you know that I baked some cookies?

We're about halfway through MotF 106's entry period now, so it's about time we decide which challenge we'd like to see for MotF 107! As always feel free to post new suggestions, repost old ones from the list on the Wiki (which you should also feel free to add to - just follow the instructions on the page for adding new challenges), and support/express your opinion on as many challenge suggestions as you want. :)

Here's the list of suggestions I posted from last time (minus "Maps in the Mirror"):
I'd say they're all good, but the best are Give Me Liberty, or Give Me Death! and Natives? What natives?

Krall

Banned
As many of you may have noticed, I haven't made a new roundel for quite some time. I don't really have a good reason for not making roundels; it's simply the case that I have quite a few different things I need/want to do, and I'm not currently organised enough to reliably do all of them. Roundels have been rather low on my list of priorities, and so I haven't done much work on them I'm afraid.

Since new roundels are going to be quite slow coming, I've decided to do Victory/Honourable Mention announcements without them! Starting with MotF 105 I'll be doing the victory announcements when the poll closes - victory announcements for previous rounds (MotF 104 and earlier) will wait until their roundels are done.

So, without further ado, the voting for MotF 105 has ended! And the honoured winner is:

Reagent
Honoured Victory

Reagent's entry for this round is a beautiful and detailed map of an alternate Zimbabwe where radicals in the British South Africa Company instituted native reserves in order to segregate black Africans from the white European settlers and gain control of their land. The map shows us Rhodesia in great detail after its independence, and the independent countries of Mashonaland and Matabeleland that were formed out of the former native reserves. Though most black Africans in Rhodesia are disenfranchised and dispossessed, Reagent provides us with a ray of hope by noting that there is a non-violent movement in the country seeking the extension of Rhodesian citizenship to the black underclass.

This victory is Reagent's 10th, and is the first time someone's victory count has gone into double digits, so congratulations are certainly in order! Well done, Reagent! :)

Martin23230
Honourable Mention for High Popularity

Martin23230's entry for this round was something of an inversion of his winning entry from MotF 103. Whilst in his previous entry English language and culture had gradually eradicated Celtic languages and cultures from Great Britain, in this one Celtic cultures are undergoing a revival after the defeat of an aggressively English-supremacist Britannic State. His map shows waves of Welsh resettlement in the newly independent Wales, and the gradual decline of the English language within its borders.

This round was a very close-run thing between Reagent and Martin23230 - both had had 9 victories, so whichever one won would've been the first person to win 10 MotF rounds. Unfortunatley for Martin23230 he lost by just 2 votes, but his excellent entry is still well worthy of this honourable mention. Well done, Martin! :)

It's good to have Martin and seeing all these killer entries. By the way, I just wanted to tell you that I changed my entry a little bit. Just a little, but that's it.

It's good to have Martin and seeing all these killer entries. By the way, I just wanted to tell you that I changed my entry a little bit. Just a little, but that's it.

I'm sure you meant well, but I'd say it would be best if you didn't make a habit of doing that. Krall's the one with the final say of course, but even if I find spelling errors past the contest deadline I feel like it's too late to edit it. That does give something of an advantage to submitting early and getting people's opinions, which I think is fair.

I'm sure you meant well, but I'd say it would be best if you didn't make a habit of doing that. Krall's the one with the final say of course, but even if I find spelling errors past the contest deadline I feel like it's too late to edit it. That does give something of an advantage to submitting early and getting people's opinions, which I think is fair.

I think he's referring to the current contest actually.

@ Martin: Nah, I just found that my OTL explanation map took too much attention in the upper left corner, cannibalizing the actual alien abortion maps, and I really desired to change the text inside West Germany, especially highlighting its south. Everything else was only done as I was at it expect for changing top and bottom.

@ Krall: Yes.

@ Alex Richards: What else should I have been referring to?

@ Martin: Nah, I just found that my OTL explanation map took too much attention in the upper left corner, cannibalizing the actual alien abortion maps, and I really desired to change the text inside West Germany, especially highlighting its south. Everything else was only done as I was at it expect for changing top and bottom.

OK, sorry about that. I was just confused wince you were talking about the previous one. My bad :eek:.

Krall

Banned

Alright, thanks for telling me. :)

I believe he thought you were talking about your entry into MotF 105, since that was what you were talking about in the preceding sentence.

Krall

Banned
As "The Locked Country" and "Natives? What Natives?" are the only challenge suggestions with more than one person in support at the moment, one of those will be the challenge for MotF 107 unless there's a change in popular opinion in the next eight hours or so. So, if you haven't expressed your support for any challenge suggestions just yet, or if you really prefer one of the two most popular suggestions to the other but haven't said so, now's the time! :p

Last edited:
I'd rather see Natives? What Natives? as it's been spooking around here for quite some time now and I don't want to see it clogging up the works any longer. I don't consider it to be better, actually worse, but I want to get over it and see The Locked Country as MotF 108 in the glorious tradition of quick-runner like Greener Pastures and The Last Straw. They also got even numbers.

As we're at it, (Bismarck Street) 107 was the old address number of my town's recruiting office before they moved on and eventually became obsolete. Before we lost our last war, it was home to ordinary barracks. I live in its vicinity.

Krall

Banned
I'd rather see Natives? What Natives? as it's been spooking around here for quite some time now and I don't want to see it clogging up the works any longer. I don't consider it to be better, actually worse, but I want to get over it and see The Locked Country as MotF 108 in the glorious tradition of quick-runner like Greener Pastures and The Last Straw. They also got even numbers.

Dude, I first suggested "The Locked Country" back at the beginning of 2012 - it is by far the older suggestion.