Map of the Fortnight: Main thread

Now for something completely different: roundels. Not about Krall being overdue, but I recently played the current beta of MiniMetro and it urged me to make a face in a round.

I tried to create a roundel, but it just ain't the real thing. And my "old" idea still looks better to me.

Actually, I think I prefer that one. It's simple, got a good colour balance, and illustrates the concept well. Perhaps neaten up the Orange and Blue lines so the overlap doesn't look so messy, but other than that I think it works.

OK, I just adjusted it to your recommandation. Just for info, the dark grey of the background is supposed to be 80 per cent, you see I couldn't make it pitch-black as it needs some contrast to all the other black.

OK, I just adjusted it to your recommandation. Just for info, the dark grey of the background is supposed to be 80 per cent, you see I couldn't make it pitch-black as it needs some contrast to all the other black.

Well, I think it'd work. Have to wait to see what Krall thinks of course, but it certainly feels like a good suggestion.

Krall

Banned
The Boys Are Back in Town

Interesting, but I feel like that could describe almost any country in the world, with the exception of former colonies whose colonial ruler still exists.

Now for something completely different: roundels. Not about Krall being overdue, but I recently played the current beta of MiniMetro and it urged me to make a face in a round.

I tried to create a roundel, but it just ain't the real thing. And my "old" idea still looks better to me.
EDIT: Got rid of the overlap AR suggested me to remove.

The idea (showing a metro system map) might work, but your execution doesn't work I'm afraid - primarily because it doesn't look like any real metro maps I've seen, but it's also not visually appealing I'm afraid. The design's just excessively simple and thus rather uninteresting, and the colours used don't work well together. It was a lot worse before you edited it, but even now the blue and yellow are definitely too bright.

Anyway, thanks for introducing me to MiniMetro; now I have something else to waste the time that I should be using for making roundels! :p

Speaking of which, I really need to catch up with the backlog of challenge roundels and victory announcements. I think there are actually a couple of victory announcements I can do right now (MotF 92 and 93, if I remember right) so I'll get those done tomorrow. :)

Great Renovation... sounds a bit like the "Great Rebuilding" attempts in the Third World in the "TL-191 After The End" scenario.
Anyway, with Krall desiring a "real" metro map, I just went the extra mile, I just refurbished my original draft and gave it my map from MotF 100.

Come a little bit closer, just a little bit... *wham*

All Aboard 3.png

Krall

Banned
Great Renovation... sounds a bit like the "Great Rebuilding" attempts in the Third World in the "TL-191 After The End" scenario.
Anyway, with Krall desiring a "real" metro map, I just went the extra mile, I just refurbished my original draft and gave it my map from MotF 100.

Come a little bit closer, just a little bit... *wham*

Now it's too small to really tell what the metro map is - plus there's a lot of empty space, poor colour choice, and the name of the challenge directly written in the roundel.

You really need to think these concepts through more when designing them. Maybe sketch out a vague plan before you start - that's what I do.

Krall

Banned
As promised, here are the victory announcements for MotF 92 and 93! And the winners are:

UNG6BkK.png

Alex Richards' entry shows the myriad of overlapping organisations following an alternate break-up of the West Indies Federation. Whilst not a conventional map, it does an excellent job of displaying how complex the situation is while still remaining legible. Well done, Alex! :)

2N3SYNA.png

islander's entry shows us the Low Countries in a world where they formed a federation and later joined the European Confederation, resulting in a federation within a federation. What details are given provide interesting hints at an even more convoluted situation: the Low Countries Federation acts as a single country internationally and maintains a Commonwealth-esque organisation of its former colonies, but each member state is individually represented in the Euoprean Confederation's legislature, and the EC itself has a single military and economy but - it appears - no unified foreign policy. An interesting take on supranational federalisation, worthy of this Honourable Mention.

Yq43DTf.png

Reagent's entry for this round concerns a world where Italy maintained its neutrality in World War II, in return for certain concessions. Amongst these concessions is the transfer of part of the mandate of Palestine - a central area not yet handed over to either Israel or Jordan, containing the much disputed city of Jerusalem. Though initially combative, the tension in the region disperses over time, and the three countries come together to tackle a crisis that would affect all of them; the shrinking of the Dead Sea. In 1989 a canal connecting the Dead Sea to the Mediterranean is finished. After a few years the Dead Sea has recovered and the canal is providing other boons to the three countries in the form of water for irrigation and hydroelectric power. As always Reagent's entry presents us with an interesting alternate colonial history, and his map

Reagent's entries usually focus on interesting alternate colonial history, and this entry was no different, showing us a world where Italy gains part of the Mandate of Palestine in return for its neutrality in WWII. Though Italy's diplomatic acquisition of Jerusalem angers both Jewish Israel and Muslim Jordan, no war breaks out between the three. Tension between them disperses over time, and they come together in the 1970s to tackle a crisis that threatens all of them; the shrinking of the Dead Sea. The solution - a canal - goes through all of their territories and restores the Dead Sea less than a decade after its completion, providing water for irrigation and hydroelectric power as a bonus. The map itself is detailed and well-made, as we've come to expect from Reagent, showing the territory the canal crosses and a side-view schematic of the canal as well. Well done, Reagent! :)

well if you gonna make a roundel that contains metro station then I think that there are people waiting for the metro in there.

Krall

Banned
And master Krall,

:confused:

does that county with the red flag look like United States of America with massive Florida

It does kinda - most of the coasts in that roundel are based directly on real coastlines, though they're jumbled up and not copied directly, so as to look realistic without representing any real location.

That country also has a uniquely styled arm too (as seen below). The different clothing on the arms indicates what kind of organisation they represent: Military uniforms represent military organisations, stylish/unconventional suits with jewellery represent economic organisations, and normal/bland suits represent political organisations. The only political organisation represented is that 4-way one that the country with the red flag is a part of. The other three countries have normal suit sleeves on their arms, but the country with the red flag have a military-esque sleeve with an arm band and gloves, the implications of which ought to be obvious. ;)

QBv5nYB.png

With the MotF 92 roundel, I didn't try too hard to think about similarities. Otherwise, you'd rob yourself from sleep due to all the false Hokkaidos and Kuriles.

Now it's too small to really tell what the metro map is - plus there's a lot of empty space, poor colour choice, and the name of the challenge directly written in the roundel.

You really need to think these concepts through more when designing them. Maybe sketch out a vague plan before you start - that's what I do.

Thank you very much. This is my newest approach and if this won't even remotely fit your taste, I feel tempted to give up again.
This is supposed to be the core of Vienna U-Bahn in the 2020s with a new U5 line in teal, all the line colors are official; light grey background chosen to fit best. Major sights have been designated as is already done IOTL Prague. Links to overground/crossrail-style services are likewise shown. The real elegance is that the pseudo-ring in green and brown is 80 years older than the rest at minimum and that the latter just had to fit in. There is no other network in the world like that in Vienna.

Mind The Gap.png

Krall

Banned
Thank you very much. This is my newest approach and if this won't even remotely fit your taste, I feel tempted to give up again.
This is supposed to be the core of Vienna U-Bahn in the 2020s with a new U5 line in teal, all the line colors are official; light grey background chosen to fit best. Major sights have been designated as is already done IOTL Prague. Links to overground/crossrail-style services are likewise shown. The real elegance is that the pseudo-ring in green and brown is 80 years older than the rest at minimum and that the latter just had to fit in. There is no other network in the world like that in Vienna.

That's quite a bit better - the colours don't hurt my eyes and it's clear that it's a metro map - though it doesn't meet the standard I've set for roundels, I'm afraid. It's just not aesthetically pleasing or interesting to look at, and I'd rather roundels didn't use real examples unless it's necessary or excellently demonstrates the challenge idea.

That's quite a bit better - the colours don't hurt my eyes and it's clear that it's a metro map - though it doesn't meet the standard I've set for roundels, I'm afraid. It's just not aesthetically pleasing or interesting to look at, and I'd rather roundels didn't use real examples unless it's necessary or excellently demonstrates the challenge idea.

You're very hard, if not impossible to please. Check this out: How Low Are Your Sexual Standards? at OKCupid, it's a classic.
That features a scale from "impossible to please" to "up for anything".

Krall

Banned
You're very hard, if not impossible to please.

I do have high standards, and as I've said I will hold all MotF roundels to that same standard. That said, I'm far from impossible to please - you merely need to improve; experiment with Inkscape more, figure out how gradients work, learn to trace things, and learn about colour theory. :)

Master Krall of roundels and Map of the Fortnight

I'm the Contest Overseer of the Map of the Fortnight Contest, not whatever you just said.