The Land of Sad Songs – Stories From Protect and Survive Finland

What is the real Monument you used as basis for the "1984" monument? (I assume that Finland doesn't actually have that kind of official monuments for the Orwell year. :) )

It is based on the Serlachius family grave monument (see here), with elements from two Finnish WWII monuments added (and minor tweaks).;)

Grief plays the mind with black keys
By mistake even if I touched a white one
With a coin I buy the world, a guitar from the jukebox
I hear the sound, I hear that sound
I no longer feel grief

When the guitar plays, you can't cry!

One thousand gigs and I improved my mind
I tuned my strings backstage
Now the six of them give an even tighter sound
The strings of my guitar, again and again
I played and broke one, then two
And still I was allowed to go on, the people only laughed

I got power for my electric guitar
Just power, it's all I need
I'll play the song all the way through
Build the heavens above me, with stars and all

When the guitar plays, you can't cry
!

So don't cry, you little girl there in the corner of the bar
The sound of the guitar will bring you its solace
It fills the space between your ears, it's Juha Torvinen that plays
Plays by partly plucking
Through a jukebox, though

I got power for my electric guitar

Just power, it's all I need
I'll play the song all the way through
Build the heavens above me, with stars and all

Eppu Normaali: Kitara, taivas ja tähdet (1985)

E9. The Popular Demand

Cpt. Koivu, Mikkeli, 9.30 a.m. March 11th 2014.

A couple of YLE employees stepped aside as the groggy military police officer barreled along the corridor with an unsteady gait. He had woken up on a couch in a semi-dark room, and it had taken him a while to understand where he was and why. But when it dawned on him, he immediately sprang into action, fueled by a rage stemming from being played like a fool by Colonel Vartia. It was obvious the SIO man had drugged him with something, spiked his coffee with sleeping pills at least.

Koivu wasn't exactly sure how long he had been out, but it was slowly dawning on him it might be several hours. Maybe more. He had kicked the locked door open to get out of Vartia's office [1], and now he only needed to find the bloody Colonel to stop him from doing what ever he was up to – it was bound to be treasonous, of that the Captain was sure.

Unsure whether to turn left or right at the end of the long corridor, Koivu suddenly wondered why he was only coming across YLE or SIO personnel but not any of his own ESP soldiers. Surely the military police was still in control of the building, his absense notwithtstanding? The thought of something going wrong with his mission brought a cold sweat on his forehead. Varis would not suffer a failure, and a cock-up here would certainly make Koivu's further advancement in the ranks of the ESP a lot more difficult if not truly impossible. Another reason, then, to find Vartia and take him into custody forthwith, he though.

A couple of young technicians passed him, somehow jubilant but then apprehensive when they saw his uniform. Why the wide smiles, Koivu thought. Perhaps it was to do with the Olympics – he vaguely recalled the national team was due to meet Sweden in ice hockey today... Or was it yesterday? Maybe there had been a victory against the sons of Mother Svea, eh?

Koivu stepped in front of the two technicians, blocking their way, and looked at them with a demanding expression.

- Tell me where Colonel Vartia is, right now!”

The left one, a gawky fiftysomething man in a old slipover just shrugged, but the other man looked the Captain in the eye and nodded to the left.

- Just saw him near the main entrance... Captain. I trust you can find your way there?”

He wasn't being openly insolent but Koivu didn't quite like his tone. He was in too much of hurry to make anything of it, though, so he just glanced at the man with a measure of practiced disgust and made his way to the direction indicated.

Along the corridor and down the stairs he strode, his head getting clearer all the while. Saatanan perkele he had been suckered! There would be a reckoning and no mistake, he swore as he stepped the final steps to the foyer.

It seemed the technician had not lied – there Vartia was, in the flesh, seemingly just lounging with three other men in uniform. Koivu made a beeline towards the men.

- Colonel Vartia!”, he bellowed with his official voice as he was nearing the rogue officer.

- This building is under ESP jurisdiction and I am arresting you for an assault on a Military Police officer! Attempt to flee and I swear I'll shoot you...”

Only then it registered in his head that two of the men next to Vartia were civilian police officers - their uniforms looked very similar to Vartia's Air Force blues and so he had assumed they were flyboys too. The younger one of them, a sturdily built constable with boyish looks took a step towards him, blocking his route to the Colonel and made as to say something.

People spoke with many sorts of accents in Mikkeli these days, most of them more or less laced with Savonian because of the local conditions in the Temporary Administrative Capital, but what came out of his mouth was some of the most deeply accented Savonian the Captain had heard in a while.[2]

- Fuck you, you damn crow! D' you think for real we're givin' anyone to your bloody claws anymore, to be beaten up and murder'd? U'r fuckin' dreamin' if you are, you dirty dog...[3]

Immediately, Koivu's anger flared up again. Who does this little man think he is?

- I don't bloody think you have any say in the matter, Constable. ESP has jurisdiction here and I am under direct orders from General Varis himself. Another word in that vein, I will be happy to arrest you too.”

Koivu was struggling to keep his tone calm. He noticed Vartia and the other policeman looking at him with blank expressions.

Something wasn't quite right here.

The young Constable took another step towards him, but his colleague put a hand on his shoulder and said something to him. He was an older man, with greying set of bushy mustaches and eyebrows making him look curiously owl-like. There was something vaguely familiar about him.

- Captain,” he started somehow laborously, like being short of air.

- We have just placed the Colonel here under arrest ourselves. We are taking him to... ah, protective custody, as we have reason to believe his life is under threat...”

Koivu didn't see what the problem was.

- Good work then, Constable, but I need to take this man into a ESP facility forthwith, as we suspect he is involved in treasonous activity...”

Amazingly, the man in blue cut him off midsentence, now speaking more forcefully, suddenly with something like a fire in his eyes.

- First, that's Police Sergeant [4] to you, Captain. Second, you have no jurisdiction here - or anywhere else for that matter. I don't know under which rock you just crawled from, but during the last 24 hours the Special Military police has been stripped from all duties, rights and privileges as a police authority. You all are just soldiers now, and me and Constable Huttunen here are not beholden to your authority anymore.”

Koivu was dumbstruck.

- What the Hell are you trying to pull here, man? I swear when General Varis finds out about this, he will make bloody sure...”

Again the man interrupted him. It irked him no end, now, almost making him pull out his sidearm.

- God, you really don't know anything! Varis has been canned, sacked, booted out, what ever you like to call it. Your dear General is gone, Captain. And you lot – the Committee has ordered you all Crows to withdraw to your barracks. In fact I would be well within my rights to lock you up myself for disobeying orders, but as it seems you only heard about it now, I'll make an exception this time.”

He looked at the ESP Captain with a strangely merry smile on his face and touched the brim of his cap briefly.

- I'd get into your barracks real quick and lock the door with some care if I was you, under the circumstances.”

Despite the smile, his voice was cold as ice.

- Now, I've enjoyed our little chat, sir, but I really have to take the Colonel here to the station – orders, you do understand?”

As Vartia shook the hand of his colleague - a SIO Major by the look of it - in lieu of a goodbye, and the trio started to the door, the young Constable turned towards Koivu and spat at him, hitting him squarely on his chest. A audible snicker went through the YLE and SIO personnel lounging around in the foyer to gawk at the little incident. Koivu started after the Constable but the closing door blocked his way. As the snickers turned to laughter, the seriously demoralized Koivu stepped out, too, to escape the embarrassment.

In the still semi-dark yard, Vartia and the policemen had already ducked into a waiting Saab police cruiser, which turned out of the yard with Koivu looking ineffectually at the receding tail lights. To his left the ESP officer could see the first of his colleagues all morning – four of his men in combat gear but sans weapons were loading up a Susi APC that was standing there with its motor running. Koivu started towards the APC, shouted and took several fast strides as he realized all the men had boarded the APC, the last ESP vehicle in sight, and were starting to push out of the main gates, leaving all their heavy gear and sandbagged positions behind them.

- Hey, you men, stop the vehicle NOW!”

Now he was running after them. For a while it looked like he would catch up to the Susi which was slowly winding its way out of the only partly open gates. But then he reached the gates himself and the APC was already speeding away, past a group of protesters. He was sure the driver should have seen him there just next to it.

Slowing his sprint into a walk, Koivu only now really saw all the protesters milling around in the front of the broadcast centre. Some of them started walking closer. Some of them were masked, holding Finnish baseball bats and other makeshift weapons. And some of them started shouting and jeering at him.

- Look what we have here”, a rough-looking man dressed like a skinhead shouted.

- A lone crow, isn't it? Where's all your black-and-grey-coated brethren now, murdering little crow? Eh?”

Koivu started walking backwards towards the gate, but several of the protesters moved quickly to block his escape route. With the force of habit, the ESP officer raised his right hand and started bellowing orders to the crowd.

- Military police! Move back! Disperse immediately or I'll have to...”

He fumbled for his sidearm, only to realize his holster was empty. Someone had taken his pistol while he was out cold - and it took this long for him to realize it.

Suddenly, he was sinking, his insides liquid ice.

- Or you do what, you fucking crow? Or you do what?”, said a protester, raising up a makeshift club.

It took far too many hits for the Captain not to feel anything anymore.

The Spokesman, Mikkeli, April 21st 2014.

The two sides again settled around the table to get on with the negotiations. The Spokesman for the Interim Council had already lost count how many meetings they had had thus far. But today he could say it was exactly one month from when the talks were (officially) started – and it would not be long now before they would end.

The opposition's side, the Interim Council [5] had been growing stronger all through the discussions. At first it had been tense, the two sides meeting in the same conference room where Varis had shot Halonen – the Spokesman still remembered well how he could not keep his eyes off the hole in the table, indicating where the fateful bullet was still lodged in – and despite everything, the uniformed or business-suited members of the Committee had appeared like a formidable obstacle to the opposition's goals.

But as soon as the talks started in earnest and the meetings were moved from the Government Buildings to the old wooden vicarage known as Kenkävero instead, things had taken a definite turn.[6] Stripped of some of the trappings of power, the old men of the Committee suddenly didn't look so strong anymore. And of course the Committee's numbers were dwindling. Not only had it lost two of its strongest leaders, Halonen and Varis, on March 11th, it had been bleeding support also in other ways .

While the National Coalition's leader, Kakkonen, had joined his fellow Committee members at the beginning, just after the negotiations started he bowed out citing ill health and when his party rejoined the negotiations, a young vice chairman had now taken over and promptly defected to the Interim Council. Even more importantly, the Centre had not joined the discussions at all at the beginning, which was an alarming development to the Committee as it was, and in early April the party sent its representative to privately make contact with the Council for terms of it joining the opposition. The Spokesman thought it had been a good call, and one in which you could see the influence of one of the party's longtime veteran leaders, Seppo Kääriäinen.[7]

While the people were overwhelmingly on the side of the Interim Council, especially due to the bloody, heavyhanded actions of the Military Police and General Varis in March, and now even most of the semi-official parties had joined the opposition, much of the professional military and the bureaucracy were still thought to stand with the Committee. This would have to change before a settlement could be reached. Calling in favours and trying to play all the angles, the Spokesman had opted for a campaign of attrition – slowly, ever so slowly his allies worked behind the scenes to sow the seeds of change among those who still stood by the Committee. The ways and means were manyfold, but the goal was unified, to hollow out the Committee's power base so that in the best case it would crumble down spectacularly under the weight of the grand edifice the old men still tried to base on those creaky foundations - or maybe the keener heads among them would make their comrades bow out gracefully before they would face sure defeat and true embarrassment.

The funeral of General Halonen was a significant milestone in it all. A lot more modest affair than it might have been, for many it underscored the end of an era and perhaps the beginning of another one. Only to see the members of the National Committee for the Continuity of Government standing there in the rain, under the forest of black umbrellas held by junior officers, delivering their last salute to a fallen general. One of them had suffered a stroke, collapsing to the muddy ground then and there, needing to be resuscitated by medics under a cover of umbrellas. Surrounded by sad, concerned onlookers with faces grey as the clouds in the sky. And in the next meeting, all of those who arrived to the negotiations appeared considerably deflated. Really getting face to face with your own mortality tends to do that, to old men especially, the Spokesman mused.

Today it was unaccustomedly warm for April, and so many of the old men in full dress uniform looked sweaty and tired this morning. All the better, the Spokesman thought. The one of them who was neither was Koskelo, despite being also of advanced age. The Spokesman had some newfound respect for the General – during these last months, he had shown himself to be pretty shrewd, generally staying on the ball and even managing some surprising moves. At times he even looked more like a politician than a soldier, and that was saying something. With so many of his colleagues and allies losing faith, though, the Spokesman thought Koskelo was essentially just playing for time. But one could do that for only so long, and the Spokesman knew the General knew this too.

The Swedish mediator, Dahlgren[8], looked at his watch and signalled for the beginning of today's talks, smiling genially. The idea of the Swedish government mediating the negotiations had been opposed by the Committee initially, but as several foreign governments, the Swiss and the British included demanded it, there had been no way around it. By now, the Spokesman had no doubt that Dahlgren's presense had been a net benefit to the Interim Council.

Sitting at the central point of the long table, the Spokesman looked at the men and women on his left and right. Saaresto of the New Democrats, the poetic firebrand who might well be smarter than he appeared; Donner, the seemingly inexhaustible pre-War relic now in the SDP's left wing who had made personal rebellion a way of life; Härkönen, the Kokkola-based author of many anti-Committee tracts, one of the few women in these negotiations; Wahlroos, the opportunist businessman back from Sweden, a rising star in the New Coalition, looking like a shark smelling blood in the water. Like these four, also the others in the Interim Council looked more collected, more sure of their purpose than the men on the other side of the table. Maybe it was the collective realization of the time being on their side, maybe it was the understanding that they finally had a level playing field where they could challenge the powers that be on their own terms. Maybe it was just a common illusion, but what ever it was, it was working.

So on with the games, then, the Spokesman thought with an inwards smile.What do we have to lose, anyway?

Gothenburg, April 30th 2014.

The Editor walked out of her office, already putting on her overcoat when she saw her star reporter still sitting at his desk in the otherwise deserted offices of the Göteborgs-Tidningen in central Gothenburg. Even the nearby Kungsportsavenyen was emptying now as most people had already reached home, to prepare for May Day, but Sven Blomqvist still beavered away at his DIAB personal computer, stacks of papers strewn across his desk and a few shelves.

The Editor walked up to Blomqvist and gingerly placed her hand on the younger man's shoulder. The reporter almost jumped before he realized who had roused him out of his writing stupor.

- Why don't you go home now, Sven? You're the last one here, again.”

Blomqvist looked at the Editor in the pale light of the computer screen, and the Editor could recognize the glow in his eyes as something familiar.

- I've still a few things to write down, chief”, the man said, in his voice a combination of absentmindedness and irritation at being disturbed.

- I'm leaving again for Finland next week, and I must be prepared to ask the right questions when I get there.”

The Editor sighed. Blomqvist's singlemindedness with his Finnish story was getting to a point of obsession.

- Why don't you let me read some of what you have so far so I could give you some pointers as to where to take it? I know you think...”

Now more irritated, Blomqvist interrupted her with a handwave.

- Please, I know exactly what I am doing. And I will tell you when I am good and ready. Believe me, Eva, this is the biggest story this paper has covered in years, and you will thank me for not telling you anything in advance. This story... Our readers need to read it. It will blow you away.”

The Editor wanted to roll her eyes at this. But better not, the man might get even more riled up.

- All right, Sven, I hope you know what you are doing,” she said with a soothing tone.

- But be careful out there. Finland is still pretty chaotic, and you might get into trouble by being too aggressive with the old government, assuming that is who you are going after.”

Now it was Blomqvist's time to consider rolling his eyes.

- Don't worry about me, Mother”, he said with a devil-may-care look on his face.

- I am an old hand in all matters Finnish. I'll be back all safe and ready for fame and glory, you'll see.”

The Editor decided to give up.

- What ever you say. But I am leaving now, Karl-Johan is bound to have my dinner waiting and you now how he gets if I'm not there in time... Lock up when you go, then. Have a happy May Day, Sven, and good luck on your trip.”

Blomqvist had already turned his gaze back to the glowing screen and he raised his hand perfunctorily to his old workmate.

- Yeah, happy May Day to you too, and Karl-Johan also. See you in a few weeks.”

Some called what happened in the spring of 2014 a Revolution. Others, especially foreigners and those with a historical bent, a Finnish Spring.[9] But in Finland, the events are generally only known as the Winter Games. This is on one hand a reference to the Olympics in St. Moritz where Finland won a lot more medals than anyone had hoped for, even if the ice hockey team's chances were in the end dashed by Sweden's Tre Kronor. But on the other it is also an reference to the people, the revolutionaries outplaying the Committee in its own game. The game for political power.

For 2014 also became known as an Election Year, the first one since 1983. The deal struck by the National Committee for the Continuation of Government, on one hand, and the Opposition Interim Council, on the other, was that presidential elections would be held in August to get the nation an elected leader, the first one after President Koivisto, via a direct popular vote. The Committee would relinquish its power to the winner of the elections, which an international body of election observers would monitor to ensure fairness.

In exchange for not standing in the way of a transition to democracy, however tenuous, the living members of the Committee and the highest leadership of the Defence Forces as well as some of the top bureaucrats would be granted an immunity from prosecution for all possible crimes committed during their time in power. These men (and a very few women) would be allowed to retire in peace and even to receive a state pension. And they would have the right to leave the country, if they so wished. Such, in this case, was the price of democracy.

Of course some exceptions to the rule would have to be made, in the interest of justice and to placate the people's ire. General Varis and several Military Police officers under his command would face charges of treason and several counts of murder and attempted murder for their unauthorized, violent actions during the weeks leading to March 11th and on the day itself. Not many even among the military and the strongest supporters of the Committee could find a lot of sympathy in them for these men and so making examples of them was generally accepted. Only among a minority of the military and the nationalist elites were these men considered scapegoats and, to some, martyrs to the cause of a proud, morally upright, truly independent Finland.

As the summers after the War were wont to be in Finland, also the summer of 2014 would be treacherous. Warm, nearly hot and very dry weather until the Midsummer Festival delighted some (though farmers were not among them) and made for several large forest fires in different parts of the country. Hundreds of young conscripts and TeeVees at a time were sent to put them out, naturally along with the former members of the Special Military Police, often proud, smart men who now found themselves so out of favor as to get all the most demeaning and heavy jobs any higher officer who had ever harboured a grudge towards Varis could think of. Since the beginning of July, though, heavy rains arrived and made a home in Central-Eastern part of the country well into August. For once, then, the people in the land would eventually welcome the arrival of the winter as the frost would at least drive away the onslaught of the constant rains.

Politically and socially, the summer was as unstable. Peaceful demonstrations turned to general festivities that were to mark the summer in the memory of the people. For many this was a summer of freedom and a summer of music, of multiple rock concerts no police authority would come to break up, even if they did not have official permits or even if members of the government would have been mocked. A summer of heavy drinking and lazy days. And, of course, for the young and the young at heart it was a summer of love. Free, plentiful love.

For almost all it was also a summer of unity, as even before the presidential elections could be held, Eastern and Western parts of the country would have to be rejoined together as one nation. The Temporary Administrative Border, the bitter line running since the early 1990s through Central Finland, across forests and lakes and in one case an unlucky farmstead, was finally wiped off the maps, the border posts dismantled and the soldiers who had guarded it sent to their barracks.

Or, increasingly, home, as dismantling the military police apparatus had even before any other official changes to the Finnish military organization also contributed to a creeping demobilization started by the outgoing Committee to show its good faith during the final stretch of the political negotiations between the old government and those who wished to supplant it with something new.

In short, the summer was marked with changes, big and small. Most of the people, especially the younger generations, saw this as a welcome, much sought after state of affairs. But to many, some or all of these changes were cause for concern, apprehension and even fear. Some people and some organizations benefit even from paralysis, and when that paralysis is suddenly lifted they might face an existential threat. The levity felt by most citizens of a new Finland this summer was far from universal, and while those who abhorred the change were in minority, they would still make for a new kind of opposition and leave a legacy for the future, for good or for ill.

For nothing ever goes exactly according to plan. If you even once make a mistake of thinking that maybe, just maybe this time is an exception to the rule – well, then you have forgotten something, haven't you?

Notes:

[1] As most doors in Finland open outwards, it is generally easier to kick a door out rather than in.
[2] The Captain himself was an pre-War evacuee from Turku in the historical province of Varsinais-Suomi (Finland Proper), and even after spending most of his adult life in the Savonian area he wasn't quite getting used to the local lingo.
[3] Haesta sinä varis vittu! Luuletko tosissas että myö ennää kettään annetaan teijän kynsiin hakattavaks ja lahattavaks? Elä sinä perkeleen koera unta nää...
[4] Fin. Ylikonstaapeli, Swe. Överkonstapel.
[5] Some also dubbed it ”the New Forum”.
[6] A move demanded by the mediator sent by the Swedish government, Dahlgren, to somewhat level the playing field between the sides.
[7] Being virtually the only survivor of wartime Centre Party's leadership, by dint of not being a member of parliament and getting privately evacuated to North Savonia just prior to the Exchange, the party secretary Kääriäinen became post-War one of the party's leading figures. A part of the Mikkeli administration since 1986 but never a government minister or a member of the Committee for the Continuation of the Government, Kääriäinen became known as a provincial leader who never ascended to the top posts of the FNA, in big part due to his cautiously critical view of the Committee's rule.
[8] A veteran diplomat in Swedish government service, since late 1990s Hans Dahlgren has become known as a successful international negotiator the Swedes send out to smooth issues with foreign nations, especially ones to do with freedom of information and political repression.
[9] Apart from the power change really taking place in springtime, this was a reference to the so-called Prague Spring of 1968, an ultimately unsuccessful era of homegrown political liberalization in Czechoslovakia during the country's domination by the Soviet Union.

Last edited:
That was nice to read. I really got some 1968 vibes from the post. :p

Wahlroos, the opportunist businessman back from Sweden, a rising star in the New Coalition, looking like a shark smelling blood in the water.

I wonder if he has retained his OTL opinions. I'm not exactly sure how well his Randian ideas would fit Finland. OTOH many people might find such opinions refreshing after decades of heavy state control.

But to many, some or all of these changes were cause for concern, apprehension and even fear. Some people and some organizations benefit even from paralysis, and when that paralysis is suddenly lifted they might face an existential threat. The levity felt by most citizens of a new Finland this summer was far from universal, and while those who abhorred the change were in minority, they would still make for a new kind of opposition and leave a legacy for the future, for good or for ill.

Could we see the rise of Finnish version of Ostalgie ITTL? East Germany isn't the only OTL example such things of course. Chaotic times following the fall of old regime often seem to led to certain level of desire to return to a former times, or at least as a person remembers them.

Haesta sinä varis vittu! Luuletko tosissas että myö ennää kettään annetaan teijän kynsiin hakattavaks ja lahattavaks? Elä sinä perkeleen koera unta nää...

It's also always great to get to read some Finnish accents. :D

A general note: despite my promises, it will still be two updates, that is parts 1 and 2 to The Backroads of History. The mass of text kept ballooning up, so it was the most prudent thing to do to break it up.

The first part will be here in minutes.

I wonder if he has retained his OTL opinions. I'm not exactly sure how well his Randian ideas would fit Finland. OTOH many people might find such opinions refreshing after decades of heavy state control.

I'd say his support is not that strong, the Spokesman's estimation notwithstanding. The Interim Council's composition does not really reflect the politics of the people - it just includes the most successful (and brazen) politicians among the opposition. Only the elections will tell who has real support.

Could we see the rise of Finnish version of Ostalgie ITTL? East Germany isn't the only OTL example such things of course. Chaotic times following the fall of old regime often seem to led to certain level of desire to return to a former times, or at least as a person remembers them.

Definitely. The people who end up in the losing side of this change will look back to the "old FNA" with something like nostalgia, to the time when "everyone did their part", "men were still men and women were women" and there "was law and order" (ironic as the last part especially is).

It's also always great to get to read some Finnish accents. :D

I just had to include that - it is impossible to translate an accent, and the image of the angry Savonian policeman was so vivid in my mind I needed to illustrate the situation to the Finnish-speaking readers at least.;)

A sleepy gaze
Opens the door
And I won't bother
To come in
Grey skies
Grey trees
Black puddles
Brown leaves
You laugh about it all

A cold wind
Against my face
I see the clock on the tower
From far away
Steps towards something
All of them in vain
Until I find
The right words to speak

These steps are heavy to climb

Soft fabric
A bedcover
The color of it
Runs away from the drapes
And so do I
Like red on green
And when I fall asleep
I'll be safe
Evil is somewhere else
And yet

Absoluuttinen Nollapiste: Portaat (1994)

E10. The Backroads of History, Part 1.

Mikkeli Central Police Station, June 3rd 2014.

Vartia's cell was nice enough, and he didn't lack for comforts. But he was still in a cell, and could not leave without police escort. Apparently, his position was ambiguous, and he was not quite sure of what would happen to him.

There was a knock on the door. After a few seconds it opened, revealing Aarnio, a mid-ranking member of the civilian police leadership - and the man they called the Spokesman, arguably now the most powerful man in the land as the Opposition Interim Council was increasingly acting like a de facto cabinet now that the members of the Committee were slowly relinquishing their power, step by step even if they in theory still were in power until the presidential elections would be through.

The Spokesman walked in and without saying a word sat down in the chair in the corner. He looked at Aarnio, a man who had seen his comparative position improve dramatically after the Military Police lost its powers in law enforcement. He was even being talked about as the future national police commander- his early siding with the Interim Council had been a boon, clearly.

The Spokesman curtly dismissed the police official, who looked a bit deflated but seemed to accept the fact that the Council's leader now outranked him in earnest. He left the two men alone in cell and quietly closed the door.

The Spokesman looked at Vartia and shook his head.

- And what are we to do with you? That is the question, isn't it?”

- I don't know, get me out of here and get me reinstated as head of the SIO, maybe?”, the Colonel said, perhaps with an inadvisably angry tone. He was getting sick and tired of being locked up, when all he had done had been in line with the goals of the Interim Council and the Spokesman himself.

The Spokesman shook his head.

- That is impossible. There are some people who call you a traitor and would want to hurt you, among the military and who knows who else. And there are much more people who see you as symbol of the old rule, of the hated SIO. Of course I have to hand it to you, Vartia, your role in the power struggle was an instrumental one, and I guess I have to thank you for that. You have made my job that much easier, definitely.”

He smiled slightly.

- But now, of course, we are due to reorganize the State Information Office and to rename it, and also the YLE will see a lot of changes. Television broadcasts, say – we are looking to get the presidential inauguration in August televised, if at all feasible, for example. The electronics and news people are pretty pumped up about it.”

Vartia could see why.

- I would like to be a part of that”, he said.

The Spokesman looked at him sadly.

- Sorry, Colonel, we can't do that, not after what you did and how high-profile you are now...”

He looked around him in the cell. It wasn't cramped, exactly, but neither was it very big.

- There is no way I can help you to get you to anything like the position you were in before the Winter Games. On one hand, the people who call themselves patriots are actively hostile against you and you would become a liability to the new government. But these people are few. The bigger problem is that to those on my side who are not privy to your role during the... transition... tend to see you as a symbol of the old order, the SIO that they see as an organization responsible for misleading the people at the behest of the Committee and people like Varis. A peddler of lies and propaganda. And of course, we can't really start broadcasting out what you actually did, because it is... delicate. It is unfortunately better for my side that most of the people won't know what you did, and will consider the old SIO as a thoroughly negative influence.

We should not confuse the people, but keep the narrative simple and positive – this was an open, popular revolution, a groundswell, not some underhand thing cooked up in secret. That the YLE started suddenly broadcasting the truth, turned to the rebellion's side – it can't get known that it was a secret plan all along – it has to be seen as an organic development within the radio people, intrepid journalists working against their superiors' orders at great risk and all that jazz. Matti Fagerholm is already being cast as the hero. A hero everyone knows, with a change of heart after realizing that to support the people in overthrowing the Committee would be the Right Thing to Do. Powerful stuff. For you, the role of a minor villain is a better fit, I am afraid.”

Vartia shifted uncomfortably in his seat.

- But we both know what really happened... Do you mean that we need to lie to the people even about this to protect them? How are we then any better than the Committee was, or the SIO as it was?”

The Spokesman smiled sadly.

- Unfortunately this is how it must go. The Winter Games are already a myth, and as the Spokesman of the Opposition Interim Council I need to uphold the myth of the popular revolt – it is after all that where we are basing our legitimacy, and that of the presidency. The will of the people, the power of the people. In fact, we're thinking of putting those exact words on the new markka notes...”

He waved his right hand towards Vartia.

- And you – well, you are a boogeyman that just has to go away, I am sorry to say.”

----

Marski-Baari, Mikkeli, June 15th 2014.

The dim interiors of the bar were lit by only a couple of lamps hanging from the ceiling. The smell of tobacco had stuck on everything, on the old, scratched, beer stained tables and chairs. An old song by Juice Leskinen was playing quietly on the jukebox – the presence of which announced the Marski as a better kind of bar here a few blocks away from the Temporary Administrative Capital's bureaucratic quarter, even if a visitor from a more affluent country might easily call the place a dive.

People who were not in the know about the Marski often assumed the bar was named after Marshal Mannerheim, which was a reasonable assumption given the bar's name and the picture of a equestrian statue of the ”Champion of Liberty” in the window left of the front door. But when one got in, the numerous photos and relic-like items on the walls and hanging above the bar revealed the truth – the bar was, more than anything, a nostalgic place frequented by old refugees from the destroyed pre-War capital area or now, increasingly, their offspring. This was the one place in Mikkeli (if not Finland) where one could still hear old Helsinki slang on a daily basis – and where one clearly speaking in that dialect would not meet the strange combination of slight hostility and deep pity they were liable to get in other Eastern Finnish bars. In the minds of the refugees from the ”real capital”, pre-War Helsinki had by now reached mythical proportions as a lost paradise, the greatest small city in the world, the place where everything still was as it should be.

The scruffy, slightly reeling man sitting alone in a booth near the rear wall, his back turned towards the entrance, didn't quite know why he had come to this bar, exactly. But then, his drinking binge was now extending to its second week, and by his unkempt looks and drooping eyelids, there were many other things he wasn't exactly on the map about. He looked stupidly at his empty glass, wondering if the bartender would still sell him another one.

And then, apparition-like, a tall, cold glass of Olvi A was set carefully before him. Captain Koivu, only recently of the Special Military Police, and now (officially) on an extended sick leave, tried to focus his eyes to see the man who had just sat opposite.

- I thought you looked like a man who could use a beer. And then maybe a stiff one, too, hmm?”

Koivu raised his head slightly and looked at the bald man in a long overcoat. Light glinted off his glasses.

- If you... If you are implying what I think”, Koivu said, slurring his words slightly, ”this is not the kind of bar where you find men who sell themselves – or at the very least, I am not that kind of a man.”

The arrivee could see a flash of disgust in the unkempt man's eyes. He leaned forward and looked at the man's face.

- How would you know, though, Captain?”, he asked.

- You are not a homosexual, as far as I know, and neither are you from the vice squad. You, Koivu, you are member of the Special Military Police, the sword and shield of the National Committee for the Continuity of Government.”

Surprised, Koivu looked at the man with a puzzled expression on his face.

- Ain't no Special Military Police anymore, stranger”, he said, now feeling a lot more sober.

- Pretty soon, there is no National Committee neither. Besides,” he said, taking a deep breath,how do you know who I am? And who the hell are you, anyway?”

The older man removed his glasses, wiped them with a piece of cloth and put them back on his nose. It struck Koivu how much he resembled Kekkonen, the long-time pre-War president, in this low light.

The man shrugged.

- It is irrelevant how I know you or indeed who I am – it is more important that I know what you want and what you need, Captain. And I can help you.”

Koivu took a swig from the beer glass.

- And what do I want, pray tell me,” he said, with a bit of foam in the corner of his mouth.

- Let me just tell you it is a terrible thing to see a man with no purpose – and a man like you at that, a smart, upstanding man with many abilities. You are a very ill-used man, Captain, betrayed, assaulted and almost killed, played for a fool and stripped of your position.”

Koivu looked at the man, and was suddenly acutally aware of the many aches he felt all over his body, still months after he was beaten to within an inch of his life by the bloody Anarchists. This man did know him, perhaps too well at that.

- I know of the plan behind the downfall of Varis and the Committee itself. I even know about some of the men who were in key positions in that vile conspiracy.”

He tapped the side of his nose.

- Like a certain SIO Colonel you know very well.”

Koivu could feel the cold rage boiling up inside him. Yes, this man does know me.

- All right,” he said coolly, ”maybe you know a lot. But what can you do about it, and what is it to me?”

- Good of you to ask. There are still powers and groups in this land who want to bring these traitors to account for what they did. Like the Patriotic League – or the Lion Legion.”

Koivu twisted his mouth at this in disgust.

- Fools and thugs. They don't have it in them to punish anyone. Take Halme, say. The Chief, they call him. I used to know him... before. He might be good for a back-alley beating – but for bringing powerful conspirators to justice, to really make them pay, he is just too much of an idiot and a buffoon....”

The bald man looked at him and smiled.

- I said you are smart. You identified the problem I have right off the bat. The problem with the Lion Legion and other such groups is that their leaders are sub-par. Poor material. They never would have made it in the Special Military Police, say.”

He lit up a cigarette and offered one to Koivu too. The Captain declined the offer, opting to keep drinking from his beer glass.

- This is where you come in. You could be the man who could lead one of these groups to prominence – or even join several of them to really build up a power base for the patriots.”

He took a deep drag from his cigarette and only then continued with his argument.

- You have the smarts, you have the looks, you have the background. And you were lucky enough to not commit any atrocities during the Rebellion – unlike other officers of the ESP, you will not be sent to prison to rot. And as you got assaulted, you were a victim of the conspiracy, to boot.”

He paused for effect.

- As the Man Who Lost the YLE, as some in the know already dub you, some might say you even have a duty to try and put things right. There are those who say you were actually in cahoots with Vartia, you know.”

Before thinking, Koivu banged his hand on the table, almost making the glass tip over.

- OK, stranger, OK. You do make a point”, he conceded after getting his calm back.

- But what is all this to you – and what is in it for me?”

The bald man in glasses shrugged slightly.

- Let us just say I want to see justice served. My vision for Finland is same as yours, the same Varis had prior to losing his wits... And I just abhor good men getting treated like you have been. Besides... I have powerful allies, and I can tell you that should you join me you won't lack for resources or money to do what is needed to be done to put things right again. It also appears to me you might be soon out of a job, anyway.”

Koivu looked at the emptying glass and then glanced at himself, reflected in a nearby mirrored surface, not liking what he saw in it right now.

- I'll think about it.”

The bald man stood up to make his way out of the bar.

- Good”, he said, handing the Captain a small piece of paper.

- Should you choose to accept my suggestion, call this number and we'll talk more. In the mean time, I'd stay quiet about us having this discussion here. You have more enemies than you might think.”

He turned his back and started towards the door.

- Hey”, the down-on-his-luck soldier said urgently. The man turned around.

- I didn't catch your name yet. If I decide to contact you, who am I asking for? What do they call you?”

The man looked at him with a thin smile on his lips.

- I get called many things, Captain. Most, though, know me as Streng. You can call me what ever you want, as long as you do. Goodbye.”

As Streng turned around and walked out the front door, he knew the good Captain might just be wrong. This was a bar where you can find men who'll sell themselves, after all. It was only a matter of price.

----

Rymdtorget, Gothenburg, June 26th 2014

Sven Blomqvist was dying to get home, to have a cup of coffee and a warm shower. After several weeks in Finland, he was feeling dirty in ways only a bit of Swedish everyday luxury could wash away. He was feeling happy, though, in a bit jaded fashion: he was now ready to show the people the uncomfortable truth behind the Finnish Revolution, and the Swedish involvement in the shady deals many men were working hard to hide with the facáde of a popular uprising. Better yet, he could prove it, he thought with a measure of pride, patting his briefcase full of papers – the whole body of evidence encased in worn leather.

Feeling sweaty and out of his element, he climbed the last three steps in the stairwell to the landing before the door of his third-floor apartment – to find the door ajar, and someone moving inside. Instantly, anger filled him. Damn plumbers, he thought, again messing around without my say-so. He had it up to his neck with the renovation and his building superintendent seemingly letting anyone in a workman's overall into his apartment. Blomqvist yanked the door open violently, only to come face to face with a uniformed policeman with a level look on his face.

- What the hell is this”, the journalist asked vocally, ”what are you doing in my apartment?”

The policeman looked at him and raised his eyebrows.

- Sven Blomqvist, is it? Back so soon?”

Blomqvist nodded, putting his bags and briefcase down on the floor of the foyer, on several weeks' worth of junkmail littering the floor, now covered in muddy footprints. It had been a rainy week.

- Yes it bloody well is”, he said, ”and that is ”Mr. Blomqvist” to you, Constable. Explain yourself or I swear to God I will make a complaint to the police chief and you'll be out of your...”

He was interrupted by a balding man in his fifties stepping out of the kitchen, holding up his hand soothingly. He had a sad expression on his face and a dull grey overcoat draped over his shoulders.

- Mr. Blomqvist, I am Inspector Wahl of the Gothenburg Criminal Police. I am sorry to surprise you like this, but we are conducting a legal, authorized search, as part of an ongoing investigation into a homicide, a pretty grizzly one if I may say so...”

He took a notepad out of his pocket and flipped it open.

- And you are Sven Blomqvist, journalist, of the Göteborgs-Tidningen, the registered occupant of this apartment?”

Blomqvist stared at the mournful man, with his anger slowly giving way to puzzlement.

- Yes, I am. Why are you here in my apartment?”

Wahl wrote something up in his notebook, then folded it.

- Everything in good time, Mr. Blomqvist.”

He glanced to the kitchen.

- Gunnar”, he said pointedly, ”the gun!”

A pistol was handed to him in a plastic bag. Wahl held it out towards Blomqvist.

- Do you recognize this weapon?”

The journalist quickly starting to feel a cold weight descending on him nodded.

- Yes, it is mine. I have a permit for it and it is entirely legal...”

Wahl nodded.

- The thing is, the, ah, victim we found a week ago was shot with a weapon like this, the same calibre and model we think, and we got it from a very good source that we can find the murder weapon here. Of course we need to take it to the lab before we can...”

He was interrupted by an angry shout from the other room. A younger plain-clothed policeman stepped in.

- Look at this Mats”, he said in a dark, angry tone, ”just bloody look at this fucking smut.”

He held out a pile of photos with naked children in them. The inspector raised his sad eyebrows and looked at Blomqvist.

- Your photos, Mr. Blomqvist?”

The journalist was as surprised as the policeman. He shook his head violently.

- Those are not mine! I have never seen them before! Believe me, someone has planted them. I have been in Finland for weeks, for God sakes! Anyone could have...”

Wahl looked at his younger colleague and nodded. The man took Blomqvist's arm in a vise-like grip.

- Mr. Blomqvist, me and Detective Persson will take you down to the station for some interviews. I hope we can settle this matter as soon and easily as possible...”

Blomqvist tried to twist his arm to escape Persson's painful grip, causing the grim man to only put more force into it.

- Come nicely now, ´Mr.´ Blomqvist”, he growled, ”You don't want me to handcuff you now. You give me any excuse and that is not the worst I will do to you, you bloody pedophile”, he whispered as soon as they were outside, making Wahl look Persson hard but not to say anything. The Detective's roughness with people he didn't like was well known at the station.

Inspector Mats Wahl[1] of the Gothenburg Criminal Police shook his head as Persson threw the journalist to the back seat of the police Volvo. Thinking about the pistol and the stack of photos, he sighed slightly.

- This job”, he said to Persson, ”it never gets easier, does it?”

Neither was his dyspeptia giving up. He shouldn't have chased down the sausages with two mugs of coffee. But then, after last night's nonexistant rest, how could he have stayed awake at all without the caffeine?

He sighed again, now even more heavily.

The uniformed constable going through Blomqvist's closets watched from the window as the detectives pulled away, and then decided to take a break for tobacco. Not wanting to contaminate the scene, he left the apartment to smoke down on the street.

At the second landing he passed a man going the other way, looking like a businessman or maybe a better sort of detective himself, youngish and clean-cut. He stopped the man there – the Inspector had told him in no uncertain terms that all people approaching the apartment would have to be identified.

The man pulled out a Säpo ID.

- Anckarström, Security Service. Is Inspector, ah, Wahl here? I need to talk to him about one Mister Blomqvist and see the man's apartment.”

The young Constable explained the man that he had just missed Wahl and would have to contact the station to see him. The Säpo man looked inconvenienced.

- The agency is looking into Blomqvist and I really don't have the time for red tape. This is a matter of national security...”

He looked at the Constable and smiled conspiratorially.

- Look, just let me in for a while. There is just one thing I need and I can assure you it is nothing to do with your investigation...”

He lowered his voice.

- I'll level with you, because you seem like a bright guy. It is espionage we're talking about, treasonous activity, and I am looking for some papers that are of interest to the agency. Just let me in, and I'll consider it a personal favour. No need to bother Wahl of even tell him”, he said, winking.

- Let's keep this between us two, and you'll always have a friend at the Säpo if you're in trouble or need a favour.”

He handed the Constable a piece of paper with his name and a phone number on it.

Grudgingly, the Constable opened the door to the Säpo man. A friend at the agency could help him in many ways with his career.

In the foyer the Agent immediately fixed his eyes on the thick briefcase the journalist had just left there moments before.

- Ah, that is what I was talking about”, the Agent told the Constable.

- I'll just take that and I'll be on my way. Thank you, Constable! I am looking forward to working with you in the future, too.”

He grabbed the case, patted the younger man comradely on his shoulder and vanished down the stairs.

Once outside, he opened the door of a very ordinary looking Saab sedan, a kind of a car commonly used by the Säpo or undercover cops. He was very happy with how things turned out. It had been a cakewalk to plant the ”evidence” in the journalist's apartment, and he now had Blomqvist's materials, too. Through surveillance he knew the man didn't have other copies of the papers or photos. And at the jail several violent people would have been made certain to know that Blomqvist was a child molester of the worst kind – and accidents did tend to happen to such people.

His boss would be pleased. ”Anckarström” knew the bald man was not happy with the way he had failed to kill Varis, and so success here might go some ways to placate him. Now, he would go somewhere private to destroy Blomqvist's papers – and then make his report as to the progress of the venture.

He took his fake Säpo ID from his pocket. It would have to go, too. It was highly unlikely that there really was an Anckarström at the agency – but if there was, he would have no idea that he now apparently owed a favour to a young Gothenburg police constable called Göran Sund.

---

Notes:

[1] Not to be confused with the author of the same name.

Last edited:
That girl's lips were black
And the boy's eyes glowed
They fell in love as the guitars buzzed
They both wore uniforms
Tribal clothes and hairdos
They understood each other
And wanted to save the world together

By listening to pop pop pop pop pop pop music
Those simple words about love
This is
Pop pop pop pop pop pop music
Simple
But true

That girl got married
Married with that boy
They loved and the guitars jingled
They have not found
That something they were seeking
But they understand each other
And want to bear the world together

This is
Simple
But true

But true
So true
Like the beautiful Charlotta of Shit Lake

Their son is called Johnny
And also his eyes are glowing
He grows up now as the guitars are buzzing
Also Johnny wears a uniform
Tribal clothes and hairdo
Yesterday, he met Maria
They want to save the world together

This is
Simple
But true
So true...

Neljä Baritonia: Pop-musiikkia (1997)

E11. The Backroads of History, Part 2.

The Cabin, Mikkeli, July 17th 2014.

Colonel Vartia carefully placed the small bunch of summer flowers next to the small, weathered wooden cross and looked at the grass covering the grave of the young woman he had once loved, a young woman cut down in the prime of her life by a war, unfortunate circumstances and deep sadness.

- Vartia”, the police officer next to him said, ”it is time.”

The Colonel glanced at the cabin and the surroundings one last time, the separate, small sauna building and the rusted scythe hanging on the wall. The sky was grey and it was starting to rain again.

- All right, Sergeant, lets go.”

The blue-white civilian police car slowly wound its way to the bigger road and then towards a military installation. When they arrived at their destination, the soldiers in blue uniforms at the gate waved the car through – they must had been waiting, the Colonel thought. Beyond a short drive from here, there was squad of soldiers waiting for him, standing in an orderly line on the asphalt-covered yard. A Air Force Lieutenant approached and indicated that everything was ready.

- Surely I have time to wait for my family to get here? I would really like to bid them fairwell – I think that could be my last request to you, Lieutenant...”

The serious-faced younger officer nodded, and then the small knot of police and military officers stood there in silence for a while. It now started to rain, first only a little, then gradually more.
Finally, as it looked like they would all get soaked in a short order, they could hear a car motor getting closer. In a few seconds, a battered old red Lada arrived and stopped next to the police car.

Three people got out of the Lada. A dark-haired woman in her late 40s, a youngish man looking like a punk rocker and a pretty blonde girl the Colonel estimated to be a bit under 20 years of age.

The man in a black leather jacket looked at Vartia apologetically.

- Sorry about being late, father,” he said.

- The car wouldn't start – you know.”

The Colonel did know - what ever shortcomings his rebel son had, the care he put into keeping the near-terminally hopeless old Lada working showed he could work hard and take care of things if he really wanted to.

- It's all right, Joni”, Vartia said, ”at least you are all here and that is what counts.”

The lanky, long-haired man took the girl by hand and brought her next to his father.

- Father, this is Maria. She is my... girlfriend.”

Vartia shook the girl's hand. She was tall and looked very fit. Her handshake was stronger than the Colonel had expected. Somewhat foolishly, Vartia just then had the notion pop into his head that this girl would probably beat his rocker son in a fight, and badly. The thought made him smile.

- Nice to meet you, Maria,” he said.

- I am sorry I don't have more time to get to know you though.”

The Lieutenant indicated his wrist watch and Vartia nodded.

- Now I really have to go,” he told his family.

He hugged his wife, the rain concealing the tears in his eyes.

- I am sorry I can't come along, Tommi,” she told him, ”but you know how it is... Too many duties here...”

Saana was a head nurse now, and studying to become a doctor on the side. She was one of the few people really keeping the Mikkeli Central University Hospital running, and Vartia was very proud of her.

- We'll see in some months... I'll call you once I arrive.”

They held the embrace for long, only reluctantly letting go.

Vartia then shook his son's hand, and after a brief hesitation also hugged him briefly, slipping an envelope into his pocket.

- Joni,” he said, ”keep yourself a man.”

His son looked at him with a serious face.

- You too, old man, you too.”

Finally, Vartia also hugged Maria, getting surprised by the intensity the girl embraced him with. Joni got his work cut out for him with this firecracker, he thought.

And then, it was time. The Lieutenant ordered the squad into attention, and the Colonel saluted them, then walked past them in the now pouring rain, to board the Air Force jet waiting for him. Inside the Learjet, it was surprisingly cozy and nice. Vartia looked out of the window when the pilot fired up the engines and all the people outside walked away from the aircraft, at the insistence of the Air Force Lieutenant in charge of the proceedings.

Colonel Vartia was leaving for exile. That had been the decision reached by the Spokesman and his allies. Out of sight, out of mind. When the plane reached its destination, the Colonel would now be a Colonel (ret.) and would have to live on a (surprisingly sizable) government pension, at least in theory working with the Finnish embassy there as a unofficial cultural attache. As the plane started taxiing to the runway, Vartia looked out of the window and saw his family waving to him. He waved back, but was fairly sure they could not see him through the rain.

Strapped to his seat, the Colonel waited for the plane to take off when the pilot spoke to him through the speakers.

- Colonel Vartia,” he said, ”welcome to Kalakukko Airways Flight 101[1] to the capital of the Czecho-Slovak Federation. Our expected flight time today is three hours fifteen minutes, and the weather at our destination will be sunny and warm, to the tune of 23 degrees Celsius. A definite improvement to our local weather here at the Mikkeli Administrative Airfield, that is. There is no onboard service on this Finnish Air Force flight, Colonel, but you can find a cupboard to your left that contains some Koskenkorva, mineral water and snacks... The plane's crew, Captain Pakarinen and my co-pilot Lieutenant Hujanen would like to wish you a pleasant flight. ”

Glancing out of the window into the rain, Colonel Vartia decided to fix himself a drink as soon as the Learjet reached its cruise altitude. What with the state pension and the Air Force Learjet flight to Czecho-Slovakia, the free drinks onboard might be all the semi-open thanks he would ever receive from the Interim Council for his help for restoring democracy to Finland, and so he was determined to make the best of it.

----

Onboard the M/S Queen of Scandinavia, August 3rd 2014.

The two men stood unmoving on the deck of the passenger liner, their eyes fixed at the closing port bathed in morning sunshine. Portsmouth Harbour, the gateway to the British (temporary) capital, guarded by the historic HMS Warrior, stood ready to receive the Silja Line ship flying a large Swedish flag.

Once ashore, the two men made their way through the busy terminal, under the gaze of the British King and Queen, watching approvingly over tourists and business travellers from high up on the terminal building's wall, flanked by large, friendly letters saying ”Welcome to Portsmouth!”. Scanning around them near the exits, the younger man spotted a awkward-looking man in a tweed jacket standing at the side, holding a sign with the names HOLMEN & LJUBOV on it. Tugging his travelling companion by his sleeve, the younger man led him towards the sign.

- That's us I think”, he said to the man with the sign, pointing it with his hand.

- Jan Holmen and Feodor Ljubov?”

The men from Sweden nodded in unison. The local man introduced him as an assistant at the University of Portsmouth, working at the School of Historical and Social Studies. He would take them to the University.

- I am sorry the Professor could not be here to greet you”, he said with an apologetic tone.

- Some disagreement with the Administration, I believe. But you'll see him when we get to the campus.”

The man led his guests out of the door, to his car waiting in the parking lot. Loading the two men's bags to the trunk he suddenly smiled absentmindedly.

- Oh, where are my manners? Welcome to the United Kingdom... I trust your sea voyage was a successful one? Despite being cooped up with all the tourists coming to attend the... event?”

Jan Holmén told the man that it had been perfectly agreeable on the Queen of Scandinavia – it was in a reasonably good shape, despite being a pre-War liner. And anyway, he suspected the biggest rush of tourists would take place in the next few days.

Travelling on the back seat, across the city centre towards the University campus, Holmén looked around him with interest. It was his first time in Portsmouth, and it struck him how the town looked older and somehow more worn than Gothenburg – the cars on the streets were older and more battered, too. But the general feeling was definitely more affluent and light than in Finland, though – Holmén was happy to have that perspective, now, to try and assess how different countries seemed to be recovering from the War and the aftermath.

What was also interfering with assessing the relative affluence here was also the fact that the streets were being adorned with various decorations and bunting in expectation of what was the summer's main international event to many, the royal wedding between a British prince and a Swedish princess. Given how close the Windsors and Bernadottes had grown in the decades after the war, such a union was probably bound to be realized at some point, Holmén thought. In both Sweden and the UK the wedding craze had been reaching fever pitch – personally, the history researcher wanted the whole thing just to be over and done with...

Passing a venerable-looking building framed with a thicket of British flags, what had to be the historic Guildhall, now also called the Parliament House (in singular, to distinguish it from the original Houses of Parliament in destroyed London), Holmén mused about the fact that the British were probably as militant about Portsmouth being only the temporary capital like the Finns were about Mikkeli – he made a mental note to ask the Professor about the current status of the project to reclaim and rebuild the traditional capital of the UK if he had the chance.

First dropping of their belongings to their (seemingly modest but serviceable) lodgings in the campus area, the young man took the Swedish duo directly to the auditorium where the symposium was to begin – they were already a bit late, due to the ship's unfortunate schedule. Once inside the building, the crept to the lecture hall itself, settling in free seats in the back.

At the podium, Professor Macragge himself was already giving his opening remarks to what would be the third international seminar focusing on Nuclear War Studies, the events and aftermath of the War of 1984, as seen through the lens of the newest research around the world. Macragge, a War-time RAF airman who after the Emergency went into academia and almost singlehandedly gave birth to the field, with his landmark study, the classic Protect and Survive named after a British pre-War public information series.

The auditorium was almost full, a testament to the growth of the field of post-nuclear research. Holmén knew to expect people from many nations here – the Brits who had immediately followed in Macragge's footprints; the large group of Americans who had enthusiastically joined the field to already make a truly local study tradition on the other side of the Atlantic. And the Europeans and others – there was bound to be a Swiss researcher here, a Norwegian, an Italian, a Czecho-Slovak, and if the recent rumours were true, an Irish and - from further afield - an Australian representative, too, as well as others he couldn't remember off-hand.

For good reason, then, the Professor looked beaming as he ended his opening remarks to give room to some of the visitors to tell about the recent trends in the field. The man scanned a sheet of paper in front of him and then stood to the microphone.

- And now, I will yield the podium to a Swedish researcher from Uppsala University. A Swedish multi-year study centering on the wartime and post-War events in Finland is just being concluded this year, and we should have the Project Secretary of, ah, ”Minne 1984” here with us today...”

He raised his eyes to the rows of seats.

- Mr Holmen, would you please join us down here.”

The Swedish researcher was taken by surprise. Acutally aware now of the heads craning his way, he thought with a start that he had not realized he would have to adress the meeting right away. There must have been a mix-up with the schedules... Immediately, his palms felt sweaty as he stood up and grabbed his suitcase, starting light-headedly towards the podium.

Then he felt a hand on his shoulder. His friend and mentor Feodor Ljubov looked at him with a pleasant smile on this face. This Soviet refugee who had made himself a career in Uppsala University as a lecturer in Finnish and Eastern European Studies, known as a fatherly figure all the students liked, with a slight frame and thick glasses, always insisting everyone call him ”just Fedja”. He was the one who had recruited Holmén for Minne 1984 and he had supported the younger man all through the project.

Like he did now.

- It is all right, my friend”, he said quietly, his smile growing wider.

- You are the expert in this – go and show them what you got.”

----

The Man Called Streng, north of Iisalmi, August 13th 2014.

Driving alone north along Highway 5 the bald man thought he was doing all right. After reaching an understanding with Captain Koivu and installing him as a leader in the Lion Legion, he soon had some of his... creations in most major political blocks in this new Finland, and was ready for a new kind of dance in the years to come. His Swedish collaborators had no reason to be disappointed. He was, after all, the man who delivered. Now he was on his way to Kajaani, the home of the Northern Command, to make at least one ally more. Listening to Yle radio to pass his time, the man once again snorted derisively to the "barbed wire" songs now in fashion, now apparently even by official sanction.

He was, however, more worried about his loaned car. The motor didn't sound quite right. But driving along a long deserted stretch of road through the forests in the dark green colours of the late summer as the sun started to go down, it seemed like only a slight irritant. In the big picture, nothing to worry about. He would reach Kajaani by nine in the evening, would get a good night's sleep and be sharp in the morning, prepared for all the challenges the world would hold for him.

And then he had to stop the car by the side of the road, feeling a pressing need to empty his bladder. When he got back to the car, it would not start again, not after several attempts. So it seems I am stranded, the bald man thought.

He checked the map. There was really nothing here for 20 kilometers to either direction. The distances to anywhere, really, tend to get increasingly long closer one gets to the Arctic Circle in either Sweden and Finland. Not attempting to stop the first two cars passing him, as the drivers might well have been following him at the behest of any number of organizations, Streng opted to wait for the next car to come along.

Moments stretched into hours, and still he waited. Now that the night had fallen, it was no use walking anywhere, either. Without a flashlight he would only in the worst case stumble into the woods and hurt himself. His good mood gone with the chilly evening, Streng watched the empty road apprehensively as it started to rain slightly in the dark.

As he was getting resigned to sleep in the car, the bald man saw the twin beams of car headlights towards the south. Finally, he thought, and got out of the car to position himself on the road, ready to stop the arriving car.

As the car closed in, Streng saw it was a battered, rusty old pick-up truck, driven by someone stepping heavily on the pedal. He still stood unmoving on the road, determined to stop the car. And his stand was vindicated by the fact that the Toyota truck made a shuddering stop in front of him, mere meters off.

Without turning down the long beams, the driver got out of the cab. Streng's fears that it might be a dangerous individual driving here through the night were toned down by the fact that the man appeared to be a cripple, a black outline against the blinding light, walking unsteadily towards the bald man and his car.

- What's the problem, car trouble?”, the ruined man asked Streng with a laboured, creaky voice.

Streng shrugged.

- I guess. I am no expert on cars. Say, can I trouble you with a lift to the nearest village or petrol station?”

The ruined man saw his glasses glint in the light of the headlights.

- I can make it worth your while.”

The ruined man stopped.

- I can do better. Open the hood and I can look at the motor.”

Thinking why not, Streng turned his back on the stranger to pop open the hood – and when he started to turn back towards the man, he felt something cold and metallic on his back, followed by a sharp pain. He looked at the face of the man who was now standing next to him, twisting a knife inside his body.

- I... I know who you are”, the bleeding, shocked man in glasses whispered.

The murderous fugitive, a man who didn't really call himself Juha Valjakkala anymore looked at the bald man and there was a slight hint of a smile on his burned face.

- That's funny, because I have no fucking idea who you are.”

----

The Cabin, August 15th 2014.

The flame from the match gently caught on the birch bark, and the man watched the little smoke tendrils rise from the spreading fire. The fire finally caught the small, dry birch logs, giving a homely crackling sound in the stove as the sauna started to warm up.

Joni looked to the fire, thinking about the long letter his father had written him. The man had never really talked about the War and what had happened to him – and neither had Joni's mother. In his letter his old man had told many things about those days – and then his role in the events many people now called the Winter Games. Joni was not sure if he could trust his father's word – after all, the man had until recently lied for a living and the son had hated his father for it. But then, he had always been a decent man as a father and a husband, or at least Joni had no reason to think otherwise. And besides, what reason would the man have to lie to his son now he had to leave the country, obviously against his own will. If what the letter contained was true, his old man was a big damn hero, even he obviously was in many ways a weak and incomplete man too. If not anything else, Joni decided he was glad his father had finally reached out to him with even a letter even if he could not speak to him about those things.

His eyes still on the fire, Joni took the letter from his pocket and looked at it one last time. Then he placed it gingerly on the birch logs and watched it catch fire. He would certainly remember all his father had written, Joni thought, but if what his father told him was true, keeping the letter around might cause trouble for the man known as Tommi Vartia. And so, Joni decided that it was better to give it to the fire.

Suddenly, Joni was aware of someone in the doorway. He glanced to his left – to see what had to be the prettiest girlfriend in the world, looking at him with a mischievous smile on her face.

- I have been standing here for ages – I thought you will never notice me! Where were you, just now, a million kilometers away? And what was that letter you burned, love poems from another one of your girlfriends?”

Joni closed the stove's hatch, stood up and kissed Maria.

- I was just thinking about my father – that letter was from him. Maybe some day I'll tell you what he wrote to me...”

Maria looked like starting to pout but then smiled again. She pulled a open bottle of beer behind her back.

- Fair enough. Here, have a beer. Let's go out, the sun seems to be coming out again.”

Joni took the bottle gratefully and took a swig.

- What, are you not having one?”, he said, seeing that Maria had only brought the one bottle.

The girl looked at him, eyes wide.

- I think I better not, considering. I just went to the doctor this morning and she said...”

She indicated her belly. Joni stopped in his tracks.

- What, are you saying that you are... That we will have... I mean, is it...”

Maria looked at him earnestly for a moment, and then exploded with laughter.

- Man you are so easy! And the look on your face, priceless!”

She kissed his cheek, teasingly.

- No, I am not pregnant! But we can certainly go and try again to get me with child, if you so desire...”

The couple walked out to the yard, hand in hand, and sure enough, the sun was starting to shine from between the clouds. It started to feel warmer right away, too.

Right then, Joni's mother came out of the cabin, and walked to them.

- There you two lovebirds are!”, she said and smiled.

- Come and have something to eat before the sauna. I think we girls will take the first turn, eh, Maria?”

Joni looked at the women in his life and was suddenly overcome with a wave of gratitude into all that he had – and all that had happened to him during this spring and summer.

Maybe there would be some hope in store for him and his, yet.

----

State Mental Asylum No. 28, near Kajaani, August 21st 2014.

The young Swedish Volunteer Medic was disappointed with Finland. After following the news about the Eastern neighbour through the spring and the summer, he had though that the country was full of pretty blonde girls in uniform who would crowd around young volunteers from rich Sweden and that he would have the time of his life here.

But the reality was different. He didn't have any time seeing girls, so much work he had, and then the mosquitoes were eating him alive every damn day. He sat on a hard bench jury-rigged to the back of a Swedish army all-terrain vehicle modified into a kind of an ambulance, on the way to the state asylum.

The new Finnish government was closing down several military-run state asylums where also even arguably sane people had been locked up, deemed to be suffering from an ”anti-social mental disorder” because of a vocal and continued protest against the National Committee's rule. And now as most of these installations were being emptied, someone had to see in which condition the released people were and to help them if needed. And this would be the Volunteer Medic's job today. Apprehensive, he looked at the sturdy gate burly Finnish orderlies in off-white uniforms opened to let the Swedish medical convoy to the yard of the installation.

Inside, in the administrative floor of the old building, two senior orderlies were listening to the YLE radio broadcast.

...says the Central Election Board in its press statement. Also the foreign election observers have confirmed the results: Heikki Harma, the joint Social Democrat-New Democrat candidate, has received 52% of the popular vote and has been elected the 12th president of the Republic of Finland [2] directly on the first round. In his first comments to the press after the results of the second count of the votes was published, Harma has thanked all his supporters and voters, and promised that his first official act in office will be to order parliamentary elections to be held no later than November this year...”

The older of the orderlies looked at his colleague.

- There we have it, a new president. Never thought I'd see the day.”

Scratching the back of his head, he stood up and grimaced.

- Now, enough with lounging about, the Swedes are here and so we can start opening the doors and letting the inmates out. Orders are orders.”

His colleague stayed seated for a while.

- Are you sure we should let all of them out? I mean most, sure, but what about the worse cases?”

- What do you mean?”

The man pointed down with his index finger.

- Well, those on corridor C. Say, the man in Room Five.”

The other man shook his head and adopted a resolute expression.

- Like I said, orders are orders. We'll empty all the cells – let the new president worry about the consequences, eh?”

A hour later the Swedish Volunteer Medic stood at the yard and looked at the first inmates filing out of the door. Many had friends or relatives waiting for them, warned in advance of the mass discharge. Many a teary reunion took place in front of the Volunteer. But some of the inmates wandering out didn't have anyone out there for them, and checking them out was the responsibility of the Swedish medics first of all.

The Volunteer Medic fixed his eyes on one such case. An old man with an unkempt grey beard stumbled down the stairs in the striped uniform of a mental inmate, wearing ruined shoes looking like rags around his feet. He looked confused for a moment, narrowing his eyes in the bright sunlight, but then seemed to get his bearings and to the consternation of the young Swedish man started walking directly towards him.

Reaching his folding table under a green army tent, the man was already getting out of breath – and it had been only a 50 meter walk at the most. He looked at the Volunteer Medic with burning eyes under grey eyebrows.

- Is this... where I can lodge... a complaint, young man?”

The Swedish Medic had a bit of trouble understanding his Finnish, but then put his words together and shook his head.

- No sir, this is a medical aid station. What is your name, and can I help you with medical issues?”

As the old man mumbled something inaudibly, the Medic took out a a pen and a binder with ready forms for this kind of thing.

- I am sorry, sir, could you speak up”, he instructed the bearded man, who stepped closer and cocked his head.

- Let it be known”, he said loudly, ”that my name is Paavo Väyrynen, and I am the real, legitimate President of the Republic of Finland. I was overthrown by an illegal conspiracy and have been kept against my will in this installation.”

The Volunteer Medic nearly dropped his pen. Shit, he thought, why do I always have to get the crazies? Why me, God, why me?

The old man with pure, unadulterated madness in his eyes looked at the Volunteer Medic sternly and seemed angry now.

- Well, young man! Why aren't you writing it down and calling the police?”

---

Hocus pocus, that is how the magic trick was done
As the boys return home with tired eyes
The red Indians rising from the mist are a mirage
There's only the nicotine-stained fingers and silence

Via Finlandia
Joy, sorrow and love
Sometimes the bitter tears of parting
Via Finlandia, Via Finlandia
Most of them angels who have perished on this road

It has cost so much to get to this day
And sing songs that are trusted
Leaning on each other, we can see to the end of the road
These days our shoes are made out of rags
Still we walk on without asking for mercy

Via Finlandia
Joy, sorrow and love

Via Finlandia
Joy, sorrow and love

Dingo: Via Finlandia (1994)

----

You have been reading The Land of Sad Songs – Stories from Protect and Survive Finland, and this is

The End.

Notes:

[1] Originally thought up as a derogatory name to the Finnish Air Force's Transport Squadron (Kuljetuslentolaivue or KuljLLv) operating in 2014 mainly out of the Mikkeli Airfield, by the fighter pilots of the Readiness Squadron, ”Kalakukko Airways” has since been adopted by the Transport Squadron's crews as a good-humoured nickname to their own unit.

[2] After President Mauno Koivisto, 1982-1984 (9th), Acting President Urpo Leppänen, 1984-1987 (10th) and Acting President Kaarina Suonio, 1987 (11th).

Last edited:
Wow. :cool:

It's not every day that you see a timeline draw to a close.

One final applause for DrakonFin.

This TL was three years in the making, but seeing it come to a definite conclusion makes me smile. :) This P&S spinoff set the bar very high and was one of the most enjoyable and suspensful entries in the whole shared universe.

It's a pity it has never won any awards so far. At least I'll get one final chance to vote for it in January.

Petike, thank you for your support to me and the TL, through all this time.:) I think it might not be complete even now without the interest (and sometimes gentle prodding) by you and other loyal readers. Comments have been few and far in between as it is, so if there had been even less of them I might have at some point thought there is so little interest to the story that it is pointless to try and finish it.... I am very happy it didn't go down that way.

Let's just say that I know a good narrative when I see one. :D

Good luck with possible future writing projects. :)

” - Let it be known”, he said loudly, ”that my name is Paavo Väyrynen, and I am the real, legitimate President of the Republic of Finland. I was overthrown by an illegal conspiracy and have been kept against my will in this installation.”

Oh dear...

:p

Yeah, and I fully agree with Petike here, this one of the most outstanding timelines I have read here. Especially as it was about Finland, there aren't too many of those.

Hopefully we will see other projects from you in future. :)

Petike, thank you for your support to me and the TL, through all this time.:) I think it might not be complete even now without the interest (and sometimes gentle prodding) by you and other loyal readers. Comments have been few and far in between as it is, so if there had been even less of them I might have at some point thought there is so little interest to the story that it is pointless to try and finish it.... I am very happy it didn't go down that way.

I think I should have commented this TL little more. :eek: Fortunately you were able to write it to the end.

That part was funny, I'll admit. :D

It's just so him to make such a declaration after being liberated from mental institution after 20 years. :p When everybody else would have already lost their hope, Väyrynen has probably spent his every waking moment just waiting this to happen.

I wonder has he retained his uncanny ability to make political comebacks. :p At least IOTL it seems that you just can't get rid of him.

Oh dear...:p

I thought some might appreciate Mr. V making one last appearance in the end, after all he got a lot of love when mentioned in the posts about the immediate post-War times...;)

Yeah, and I fully agree with Petike here, this one of the most outstanding timelines I have read here. Especially as it was about Finland, there aren't too many of those.

Hopefully we will see other projects from you in future. :)

Thank you for these comments, and also for sticking along. After all, without Finnish readers, many of my (oh so clever :eek:) local references would have very possibly been written in vain.

I'll take a small break from writing now - but eventually you'll most likely find me churning out some other Finnish yarn here...;)